Post Partum Weight Loss - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-25-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, the fun

I have 30lbs to lose. I am curious about your best methods for dropping the weight - I am so hungry all the time, because I was eating too much being pg, not just breastfeeding hungry. But I don't want to hinder nursing too much, and I don't want to do too much too soon kind of of thing with exercise...what do you do?
My goal is to lose it over 3 months. Is that reasonable?

I know this is not a top priority with a newborn, so don't remind me of that but I do need to get back into shape. Gym membership will not be happening.

Please post your best tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 06-25-2008, 08:37 PM

Are you losing steadily right now without doing anything? Or have you plateaued? I'm waiting until I plateau before I start doing anything too dramatic. I seem to be losing a couple of lbs each week and that's fine with me, considering the amounts of food I'm eating!! I dropped 19 lbs right away and 4 more lbs since birth. I have 17 to go to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight (138).

Yes, my gym membership may have to wait. At least until I'm comfortable leaving Juniper with dh. Until then, I have a double jogging stroller - would like to start walking once I'm healed enough to walk more than a few blocks.

I'm also tentatively planning on going low-carb (carb-free) for 2 weeks starting after the 4th and stopping before we head to our cabin for our summer vacation. Past experience has proven that this is an effective way for me to lose 10# quickly w/o fear of gaining it back, especially if it's "extra" weight. I like the South Beach Diet options - it's a very healthy way to lose weight. My question is, does anyone know if there can be any ill effects on baby if I only do it for 2 weeks??
#3 of 16 Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 PM

Well I'm happy to report that I've lost over twenty pounds and I'm just seven pounds away from my pre-prego weight... However, I was about 15 pounds heavier than normal...

So I guess that means I've got about 22 pounds to loose... Not bad!

My stomach is so flat I'm almost concerned! LOL

I can't WAIT to look and feel sknny!

I think 3 months is a little quick, but everyone's different!
#4 of 16 Old 06-25-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaHen2J&J View Post

I think 3 months is a little quick, but everyone's different!
Think of it this way: IT TOOK NINE MONTHS TO PUT IT ON. EXPECT IT TO TAKE NINE MONTHS TO TAKE IT OFF.

Everyone is different, too, and while some bf moms lose it more quickly, some hang on to an extra 5-10# until baby nurses less and/or weans.
#5 of 16 Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

I do like a little weight 'insurance' while I'm nursing - with ds1 lost too much (not trying, it just happened) and I felt really run down and awful. So I try to stay about 5lbs over my 'happy' weight

I lost 15lbs with the birth and stayed there for a week, but checked today again and another 3lbs is off, so I guess I'm losing quickly enough at the moment.

I was thinking about going low carb for a bit too once I plateau - wasn't sure if that was a great idea or not. I seem to need a lot of carbs for fuel when bfing and chasing all the little ones! I just have trouble choosing good ones, I think...

Lea, sounds like you're doing really well! Way to go! My tummy looks fairly good. I don't have much ab work to do but I have a good layer of fat on top of them It's just the thighs and butt that have me concerned.

I just hate having to buy my biggest clothing ever - and I'm hoping I can get into my other stuff SOON.
#6 of 16 Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylahroo View Post
Think of it this way: IT TOOK NINE MONTHS TO PUT IT ON. EXPECT IT TO TAKE NINE MONTHS TO TAKE IT OFF.

Everyone is different, too, and while some bf moms lose it more quickly, some hang on to an extra 5-10# until baby nurses less and/or weans.
: Except, for me, it all goes on the last 3 months of pregnancy and takes until the babe weans to get rid of the last 10lbs. I can get w/n 10lbs pretty quickly, but until weaning or at least a serious dependence on solid foods, I'm keeping those 10 lbs of what Dh calls my "famine feedings." However, once the babe weans, I drop those last lbs w/n a week or so. So, it works itself out. Plus, since I stubbornly try to get rid of them through exercise, to no avail, I tend to end up in better overall shape anyway.

I'm interested to see how heavy I end up pp this time, since I hadn't weaned Nora yet and hadn't dropped those last ten.... I wonder if I'll still go down to my normal nursing weight or if I'll be an additional 10 lbs up (so 20 up from normal). Here's hoping for 10 only!!
#7 of 16 Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 AM

Walking is an all around great exercise so if you can get at least a half hour of walking in per day that might help drop pounds gradually and tighten the tummy muscles at the same time.

I've gained anywhere from 17-52 lbs with each of my 9 pregnancies and it has taken varying amounts of time and exercises with each one to help get the weight off and back into shape. This time was my easiest of all by far...I gained 17 lbs (8lb8oz baby) and by 4 days postpartum was back in my prepreg jeans...by a week/week and a half was down to prepreg weight. I still can't believe it. Wish they were all that easy!

It took months to put the weight on, so it might take a few months to come off, but it WILL.
#8 of 16 Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 AM

What about avoiding sugar and unhealthy carbs, lightening up on the dairy and incorporating more/lots of raw veggies into your diet? Plus walking....this is my plan.....if I ever get this baby out!!!
#9 of 16 Old 06-26-2008, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

sunny, that seems to be the ticket, I think...

you guys, I have 3 small kids plus the baby, walking is not a problem i waited to get them home until i could at least jog a little
#10 of 16 Old 06-26-2008, 11:08 AM

I weighed myself today I'm down 17lbs since the birth last week, I have 20 lbs to go to get to a normal range for me or 25 pre-preggo weight but I was really slim at conception. So my plan is NO sweets most of the week one off day a week. Lot's of water, good healthy diet full of all the good stuff. Walking first few weeks, then I'll start my workout vids and nighttime bike riding around my hill neighborhood for some solo time. I think I should be back in 2-3 months that route. But I also want to focus on my family not just my pound's

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#11 of 16 Old 06-26-2008, 12:33 PM

I didn't do anything to lose the weight after having James - I ate when I was hungry, rode my bike to work as usual (round trip is only around 6 miles) and stopped worrying about it.

I was about 20 lbs up from prepreg at 6 weeks, was within 10 lbs of prepreg at 4 months, and dropped the rest around 6 months postpartum.

I agree - give youreslf a good 9 months. If you were someone who exercised regularly before your pregnancy (and during?) then it probably won't affect your breastmilk too much. But also don't forget - some women hang on to those last 10 lbs until they wean their baby.

I suggest getting yourself a couple pairs of pants/shorts/skirts that fit you NOW and make you feel good about yourself. One day you'll have the happy surprise of having to go to the store to get the next size down In the mean time, feeling pretty is good for morale.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#12 of 16 Old 06-26-2008, 11:09 PM

I haven't lost a single pound since the day she was born. I lost 14 pounds at birth, and am still at that exact same weight. I still have 30 pounds to lose. I guess it is my fault for gaining 45 pounds huh?! With DS I only gained 30 pounds total, and was within 10 pounds of pre-pregnancy weight by this point. I am hoping to work out starting around 6 weeks PP, we will see if it does any good. I am a little worried that I won't get it all off this time.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#13 of 16 Old 06-26-2008, 11:13 PM

I gained 34 and have 18 to loose. I might joined WW in September if it isn't gone by then....until then I just plan to exersise and eat enough for Billy to nurse.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#14 of 16 Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 AM

I think I gained 27lbs and at my 2 week appointment on Saturday I was 2.5lbs away from my pre-pregnant weight. So I think it's safe to say that I have already gotten back to that weight...if not more. DD will be 3 weeks tomorrow. : I'm sure nursing a newborn and a 20 month old is the cause. But I'm not complaining. After DS I lost an additional 37lbs before I was pregnant with DD. It was so nice getting to buy smaller jeans! I didn't get to enjoy them all that long as with both my pregnancies they happened shortly after I talked myself into buying new jeans.
#15 of 16 Old 06-27-2008, 11:34 AM

I'm 3 weeks 2 days out and I don't think I've plateaued yet as I'm still shrinking daily. Like people mentioned upthread, I don't feel the need to get serious about it until that happens. My appetite is MUCH less so maybe by the time I do plateau and wanna get serious and actually step on a scale to "assess the damage", lol, I'll be back to where I was. At this point, I can feel/tell I'm very very close to that already. (within 5-10 pounds maybe?)

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!
#16 of 16 Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylahroo View Post

With ds I gained 46 and lost 30 right away....then gained 15 back due to a huge appetite with bfing. I was 30 lb up until ds weaned at 17 months and then it fell off. I was actually at 10 lb under pre preggo weight 4 months after he weaned. That is why I am not too stressed about it this time around.
That and dp has made it perfectly clear he doesn't give a hoot if I loose another pound, he likes chubby girls (to be honest, I am the thinnest woman he has ever been with). So here I am in a size 14 and feel perfectly ok with it for now!

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page