finally - Mateo's birth story (long) and pics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-29-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I am just copying this from the birth story I wrote for my keepsake album. Also, including a few pics. Congrats to all the other new moms, I am reading your posts but not having a chance to reply!

Mateo’s Birth Story – June 26, 2008
8 lbs 9.3 oz, 22 inches long
4:46 a.m.

I had been having some regular contractions for the week prior to Mateo’s birth. At my 39th week appointment, Cindy checked me and I was 2 cm dilated, 50% effaced and Mateo was at -1 station. I had also lost 3 lbs since my last appointment, all signs that convinced Cindy it was just a matter of time. I had two occasions of blood-tinged mucous that also convinced me that it wasn’t too far off. When I made it to my due date, I was a little disappointed to still be pregnant. I was eager to get on with it and meet my little guy. I was also feeling some anxiety about what to do with Saskia, since this time around we actually had to have a game plan in effect. Our daytime back up care for Saskia was going to go on vacation starting Thursday (the 26th) which meant that if I went into labor we might not have someone to watch Saskia during the day. I resolved to walk and walk the week of my due date, to see if I couldn’t get labor started.

On the 25th Saskia and I went to the farmer’s market and I was feeling a lot of cervical pressure along with some good contractions that I could feel in my cervix, I figured something was happening. That night J and I watched a movie to relax us and I was having some pretty strong contractions. They didn’t radiate towards my back like my labor contractions had with Saskia but I was starting to think that over the next few days I would be in labor. We went to bed around 10:30 and I awoke at 12:30 a.m., dreaming about cupcakes, of all things, and suddenly felt a very strong contraction in my back. I got up to go to the bathroom and saw I was bleeding. I told J to get up, this was it, and we called Saskia’s preschool teacher, who had agreed to come over. It was perfect timing, the contractions were coming three minutes apart. It was early Thursday morning too, which meant our neighbor across the street (who is home on Tuesdays and Thursdays) would be able to take Saskia for the day. At this point, I knew I was going to be having a baby very soon! I called labor and delivery while Kulla was on her way and they told me to wait an hour. I told them that I was GBS + and because of GBS complications following my daughter’s birth I wanted to come in on the early side to be sure I got in at least one dose of antibiotics. She suggested I call in an hour anyway, but they were getting stronger (still manageable, but from my labor with Saskia I knew this might be the hardest they would get). I called 30 minutes later and said I was coming in. J and I kissed Saskia on the head, our last time just a family of three, and hopped in the car.

On the way to the hospital the contractions were still every three minutes and I was feeling rectal pressure. We got in, I was checked and already at 6 cms with a bulging bag of waters. I was admitted and had J fill the tub right away while they tried three times to get an iv in my arm (this was more painful than the contractions!). The anesthesiologist came and talked with me, but I told him I wouldn’t be needing him. The nurse said “she is already at 6, and still laughing, I think she will be fine.” He told me “more power to you” and off he went.

As soon as they got a reactive monitoring strip (I consented to telemetric, intermittent monitoring) it was off to the bathtub for me. The contractions were coming at a good pace but J applied counter pressure to my back and it made it all manageable. In between we would just grin at each other and marvel that a baby was on the way! Not much later I started to get loose bowels and I was burping. I also started to feel nauseous and hot, so I said to J “this is it, I am in transition, it won’t be long now.” He was awesome, just like during Saskia’s birth. He knew exactly what I needed and responded perfectly to the contractions. I had two contractions where I felt the urge to push so I called for the midwife. Mind you, the whole time we were left alone to labor in the tub. It really felt like as close to a home birth as I can imagine, in that we weren’t bothered at all and we were in total control. The midwife checked me and I was complete. I chose to lie on my side to push because I didn’t want to tear (I didn’t tear with dd and found this helped). The pushing urge was so intense with this labor! I would let out these primal moans and could feel him working his way out. I have to say that the pushing phase for me is the most painful and the hardest work. But about a dozen and half pushes later, Mateo entered the world! It was 4:46 a.m., four hours after I awoke with my first contraction. My bags of water broke on the table and they noticed a bit of meconium, so after J cut the cord and he was placed on my chest, he was taken away briefly to be suctioned. Fortunately he didn’t inhale the meconium, so he was given right back to me. As I delivered the placenta I heard “what a big baby and wow, look at that placenta!” He was almost 2 lbs heavier than Saskia was. Then I got the great news that I hadn’t torn or even nicked. J and I high-fived each other!

I thanked the midwife and the nurses and they turned around and thanked me, for showing them such an inspiring birth. Mary said “you should teach people how to do this!” It felt really great to be able to birth the way I wanted to and inspire along the way. My postpartum recovery has been good so far and I was happy that they let us go after 36 hours (hospital protocol is that if you don’t get two doses of the antibiotics you have to stay for 48 hours). We are having some struggles with how Saskia is adjusting. She adores Mateo but tells me that she wants me to go away. I know that it will all work out and I am trying to tell myself that. I am also in the throws of engorgement (my milk came in on day 2) but otherwise I am feeling good. I miss having him in my belly, but love having him on the outside. I still can’t believe that we are so lucky to have two beautiful children. I also can’t believe I ever thought I couldn’t love a little boy – he is so precious!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...r&linkid=link5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-29-2008, 08:33 PM

congratulations!! he's adorable

Lauren- Mom to Nina 2.5 yrs. & Elaina 10 mo....our next bundle is due in June! joy.gif
#3 of 6 Old 06-29-2008, 10:21 PM

Aww! That's so nice!!! I am glad your fears of not being able to love your little boy the way you love your DD turned out to be for nothing - isn't it a miracle though, how these LOs come into the world and we just HAVE to love them to bits and pieces?!
*sigh*

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#4 of 6 Old 06-29-2008, 11:06 PM

Wow! Awesome job Jacqueline Enjoy life as a mom to a girl and a boy! It will continue to be great:
#5 of 6 Old 06-30-2008, 09:25 AM

!!!Congratulations!!!
#6 of 6 Old 06-30-2008, 05:39 PM

What a wonderful story! Your LOs are precious.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page