Heidi Evan Rose's birth story and pictures - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd been having contractions since last Saturday, which kept tapering off early afternoon. On Tuesday morning I stopped having contractions and pretty much gave up thinking that I'd get my chance at a vbac. I went to bed around 9:30 and cried for a while. My DD came into my bed around 11pm wanting to cuddle. I noticed the contractions had started again at this point. By midnight I couldn't stay in bed anymore as the contractions started to get painful. They were coming pretty steady at about 6-7 minutes apart, lasting about 1 minute. At 2AM they increased in intensity and I considered calling my midwife. I gave myself 1 more hour and then realized that these were real and not going away!

I woke up DH and had him call my parents to make the 1 hour drive to be here with DD. Then we called Kristen, my midwife. Kristen met us at the hospital at 4AM and got me set up on the telemetric FHM system. Baby's heart rate was staying really steady in the 140s through all the contractions. I was handling the contractions really well - dancing around the room and bouncing up and down throughout.

Kristen had me lie down so she could check my cervix. I was certain I had to be part way there due to the fact I'd been having such intense contraction for days. With DD, I never progressed past 1 cm. But, when Kristen checked me, I was not dilated at all. As with my DD, she found a scar on my cervix that seems to prevent me from dilating. This scar has been looked at by 3 midwives and 2 OBs and no one can figure out what it is or why I have it. As we began discussing my options, c-section or waiting it out and hoping like last time that something would happen, the baby's heart rate began jumping from 190+ to 100 and back up again. At that point we decided that there was no decision to be made and the baby needed to get out right away.

The OB on call was really great, as were the nurses. The surgery went really well and I got to watch it all in the light fixture above my head. It was actually really cool to see. DH got to announce the sex and to everyone's surprise, she was a girl. Based on her size, the entire staff present were guessing boy. She took some maneuvering to get her out through the incision since she's so big: 9lb 9oz. She was born at 5:43AM.

She nursed like an old pro in the recovery room and has been wonderful since then. I got released from the hospital after 24 hours, so I was home yesterday morning. I'm finding the pain much worse than the last time, but I'm getting through it.

Thanks for all the good thoughts! Even though I didn't get my vbac, I still feel pretty good about the whole experience, especially in comparison with the last time. I'm so happy that I went into labour on my own and she came when she was ready.

Me in labour

Getting weighed at the hospital

At home with her big sister Amelia
#2 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 12:36 PM

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing your story!! Congrats and welcome Heidi!

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

#3 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 03:32 PM

Congrats! She's a sweetie!
#4 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 03:46 PM

Beautiful girls!

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!
#5 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 04:11 PM

Congratulations!! Both of your girls are gorgeous! I'm glad she chose her birthday and that you enjoyed the experience... enjoy your babymoon!!
#6 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 04:32 PM

nak

congrats!! you have beautiful children
#7 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 04:46 PM

Congrats - sounds like it ended up being a great experience - I'm so glad! Your girl is beautiful!! Good luck with your recovery - it sounds like you're already well on your way.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#8 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 05:30 PM

congratulations. it sounds like it made such a difference to make your decision from an empowered place. welcome little heidi!
#9 of 13 Old 07-12-2008, 10:26 AM

Welcome baby Heidi! I love the name. Congratulations on bringing your sweet baby girl safely into this world. I think you did a fabulous job! Aren't girls just the best?? (ok, i'm a little biased....)
#10 of 13 Old 07-12-2008, 11:28 PM

Again, congrats on your little girl - she's a cutie!

I'm so glad you are feeling good about the way her birth went. Sometimes a c/s is just a necessity and in those cases it is great that we live in modern times You certainly tried your best and you can be proud of that!

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#11 of 13 Old 07-13-2008, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the thoughts! We're doing really well and enjoying getting to know each other.
#12 of 13 Old 07-13-2008, 09:59 AM

Congratulations! I'm sorry you didn't get your vbac and our having to deal with c/s pain but I'm glad it went smoothly and you are now holding your baby (and she is beautiful!)
#13 of 13 Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 PM

Congratulations! Your girls are beautiful!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page