Lets talk birth control - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have decided I am DONE having kids. My original plan was 3, but dp and I are both feeling done after 2.
I had pp amenorhea with ds until I weaned him at 17 months but I am so anti-pregnancy right now I don't want to trust that.

What are you doing for birth control?

I am considering going on the pill when ds2 is 3 months old, or maybe the Mirena IUD.

I have used charting very succesfully in the past to avoid pregnancy and to conceive, but I feel its too risky while nursing.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 12:15 PM

I'm getting a copper IUD at 6 months PP or when cycles return, whichever comes first (probably 6 months PP.)

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
Old 07-15-2008, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Karen* View Post
I'm getting a copper IUD at 6 months PP or when cycles return, whichever comes first (probably 6 months PP.)
I tried a copper IUD and had break through bleeding for 4 months....I bled every day until I made them take it out. Also one of my best friends just gave birth to baby in March that was conceived with one in. Not an option for me. Have you tried it before?

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Old 07-15-2008, 01:03 PM

I got the paraguard plain copper iud eight months after ds1 and it was great for me. Never had any problems at all.....but everyone is different! I would probably do another one when I was sure I was done having kids but may do this again in a couple years so.....there's a book my mw was talking about....the garden of fertility or something like that. A nfp approach but has info on how to effectively do that while breastfeeding. We used fertility awareness for a year after I had iud removed, but obviously a bit more tricky with bf.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:08 PM

-these are my birth control for not.

That and very sore girly parts.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:33 PM

I used nothing after ds1 and the mini pill after dd1. The pill was horrible. I would bleed for weeks and then go off it and then bleed for weeks when I'd go back on it again. So I stopped using birth control at all and didn't get pregnant again until we wanted to.

I know we don't want to have anymore, and until his vasectomy, I not sure what I want to use. We haven't started having sex again so I'm not too worried.

I know in the UK a lot of people use ovulation predictor kits as a contraceptive. I just forget which one. Theres a little monitor and little strips you pee on everyday and put in the monitor.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:35 PM

Oh yeqah, there is also one my chiropractor used that was saliva based. I dont know how that works.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:50 PM

I'm too lazy for any kind of birth control.. I'm just not having sex for the next 5 years.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:52 PM

LOL

Can I jump in that boat?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM

My first PP ovulation after having James was at 16 months, and that was with me taking Vitex for about 7 weeks to try and coax it back into existence (I got preggo with Claire with that one, so I've had no period since summer 2005). I'm planning on doing a copper IUD at 6 months PP since we have no real plan for #3. If the side effects are rotten I will reconsider....

I was on the pill in college and do NOT like hormonal BC so pill and Mirena IUD are both out for me. Have used FAM to get preg and to avoid but don't want to long-term, esp. with wacky BF cycles.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 07-15-2008, 03:34 PM

We decided 2 was enough for us, so since I ended up with a section again I had the doctor tie my tubes. If I'd gotten my vbac, dh was prepared to get snipped.

I hated the pill. I didn't realize how much it messed with my moods until I stopped taking it. I also gained weight when on regular tri-cyclen, but lost weight on the mini-pill.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
I tried a copper IUD and had break through bleeding for 4 months....I bled every day until I made them take it out. Also one of my best friends just gave birth to baby in March that was conceived with one in. Not an option for me. Have you tried it before?
Nope, I haven't tried it. I've heard it just doesn't work for some people, but I'm willing to give it a try. If I conceive with it in, I'll just count it as a bonus kid. I'd love to have more, but I really want to go to school first which would be 7 years.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:22 PM

Well because this was my bonus baby so to speak. . .we are going all the way I am going in two weeks for the Essure permenant method. I will be happy to let you all know how it goes after the 28th appt!

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
Old 07-15-2008, 05:38 PM

I had the Mirena IUD after ds and, although I had intermittent spotting/cramping for about 6 months, I had no periods after that. I'm thinking about going w/ the same thing again. I've also tried the Nuvaring and liked that okay -- except it came out while dtd a couple times and I had to search the sheets to find it. We've also used FAM to conceive and to avoid, but I don't want to rely on that while breastfeeding and getting up many times each night.

Anyhow, I think the Mirena is the way I'd like to go -- pretty sure we're set w/ two kiddos, but not with vasectomy or tube tying certainty.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:53 PM

I did bcp and it made me insane (barely a joke), I used a diaphram and got my second son, I got a Mirena IUD and my immune system crashed after trying to get rid of it by bleeding for 3m straight - sucky exp.!! - then I got that out asap and did NFP/FAM and it worked great!

Had another (planned) baby and used condoms until I was sleeping long enough chunks to temp. - then I had one drunk night with DH and we have Jade , so we are 99% sure DH will get a vasectomy...

I get AF back between 3 and 5m pp (that is SOOOOOOOOO unfair!!!) every time, even without supplementation or pacifiers... bleh! So I can't count on breastfeeding at all.

Anyways... we'll use condoms and then the permanent course... we just can't chance another surprise, I don't think DH or I could survive it - we have FOUR kids just barely 6 yr and under! We're insane enough to last our lifetime AND theirs!

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 PM

I don't use any form of birth control. (I have spacings of 20 1/2 mos., and 25 mos. on my three children.)

I regained my fertility at 5 1/2 mos. and 7 mos. postpartum on the first two pregnancies with exclusively breastfeeding on demand. I am also able to accurately see my ovulation every month while breastfeeding (my boys weaned at 18 months and 21 months, respectively).

Two excellent books on this topic are: Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing, by Sheila M. Kippley and Unavoidably Dangerous, by Dr. Mayer Eisenstein.

Kippley says the effectiveness of EBF'ing for the first six months postpartum is 98%. And after reading Eisenstein's book, it would most likely scare you off of hormonal BC permanently.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 PM

I'm getting the Mirena IUD on Friday. I had it after Bean was born and it was great. My periods were super light. Also, if you change your mind about #3, I got pg with Rex 2 weeks after I had it removed.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

I don't want to read anything that will scare me off the pill. What I don't know......

I have always used Marvalon. It works awesome for me and no side effects except it takes away premenstral cramps.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean's mama View Post
I'm getting the Mirena IUD on Friday. I had it after Bean was born and it was great. My periods were super light. Also, if you change your mind about #3, I got pg with Rex 2 weeks after I had it removed.
did you have any problems with nursing/supply with it?

: mom of Gavin Rhain and Grant, Doula
Old 07-16-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainRaven View Post
did you have any problems with nursing/supply with it?
None at all. He just turned 2 and we are still going strong. I think he wants to nurse more than the baby lately.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:35 PM

i think we'll do the c-films,i was considering an iud but yall scared me off that idea
Old 07-16-2008, 07:35 PM

We want more children, but I really need a longer interval this time. I've been gestating and/or lactating for all but 3 months of the last five years. This last pregnancy was really hard for me and I believe it was b/c I hadn't really recovered either nutritionally or physically from Nora's birth and EBF period. I would like for Bastian to be weaned for at least 6 months before I get pregnant again, so I need something that will work well for at least 2 or 2.5 years.

That brings me to the heaviest thing on my mind right now... I'm allergic to latex, super sensitive to most spermicides, can't have an IUD b/c of my uterine shape, and hormonal b/c makes me insane (no, not a joke AT ALL :shudder: ). I've used NFP quite successfully while not bfing, but trying to use it during bfing... well, that's how we got Bastian, KWIM? I'm fanatical about temping and check all the signs and backup w/ some additional indicators, like ov tests and saliva ferning checks. But, the month that we got pregnant, I had a clear double ovulation pattern, which I experience sometimes, especially while I'm bfing. Even using complete avoidance until after ovulation won't prevent the possibility in that case. I don't want to be celibate!

I have a Persona computer, but you aren't supposed to use it while bfing, but I think that I'm going to combine that with regular NFP and hope for the best. I can also double check with the saliva ovulation monitor.

Does anyone have suggestions for something I'm not thinking of???
Old 07-16-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonBean View Post
We want more children, but I really need a longer interval this time. I've been gestating and/or lactating for all but 3 months of the last five years. This last pregnancy was really hard for me and I believe it was b/c I hadn't really recovered either nutritionally or physically from Nora's birth and EBF period. I would like for Bastian to be weaned for at least 6 months before I get pregnant again, so I need something that will work well for at least 2 or 2.5 years.

That brings me to the heaviest thing on my mind right now... I'm allergic to latex, super sensitive to most spermicides, can't have an IUD b/c of my uterine shape, and hormonal b/c makes me insane (no, not a joke AT ALL :shudder: ). I've used NFP quite successfully while not bfing, but trying to use it during bfing... well, that's how we got Bastion, KWIM? I'm fanatical about temping and check all the signs and backup w/ some additional indicators, like ov tests and saliva ferning checks. But, the month that we got pregnant, I had a clear double ovulation pattern, which I experience sometimes, especially while I'm bfing. Even using complete avoidance until after ovulation won't prevent the possibility in that case. I don't want to be celibate!

I have a Persona computer, but you aren't supposed to use it while bfing, but I think that I'm going to combine that with regular NFP and hope for the best. I can also double check with the saliva ovulation monitor.

Does anyone have suggestions for something I'm not thinking of???
Are you anti hormones because you don't want them in your body? Or just because of the side effects you had? I HEAR (never tried it) that nuva ring has less side effects from the hormones since it is such a lower dose with less in your blood stream.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Karen* View Post
Are you anti hormones because you don't want them in your body? Or just because of the side effects you had? I HEAR (never tried it) that nuva ring has less side effects from the hormones since it is such a lower dose with less in your blood stream.
I have extreme reactions to progesterone, particularly in progesterone only b/c forms. My body doesn't process progesterone properly and the excess manifests itself by pushing me into profound clinical depression. Not sadness, but complete emotional numbness and detachment from life/family/reality. It's really quite scary. Obviously, combo pills are off the table, at least during the first year of bfing. Besides, my reactions to combo pills aren't that much better.

I used to work in a pharmacy and had the opportunity to try out virtually every permutation of hormonal b/c on the market. It just doesn't agree with me. Dh has flat refused to live with me if I try any more hormonal methods.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonBean View Post
I have extreme reactions to progesterone, particularly in progesterone only b/c forms. My body doesn't process progesterone properly and the excess manifests itself by pushing me into profound clinical depression. Not sadness, but complete emotional numbness and detachment from life/family/reality. It's really quite scary. Obviously, combo pills are off the table, at least during the first year of bfing. Besides, my reactions to combo pills aren't that much better.

I used to work in a pharmacy and had the opportunity to try out virtually every permutation of hormonal b/c on the market. It just doesn't agree with me. Dh has flat refused to live with me if I try any more hormonal methods.
Yeah..... that doesn't sound fun. At all. Sorry! And you must have a double utertus too. Boy that does sound rough. And double ovulation with NFP, geez. You were just meant to have lots of babies!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I've been gestating and/or lactating for all but 3 months of the last five years.
Me too. I thought I wanted to have at least 3 living children but now I'm thinking maybe two is fine.

I'm getting my paraguard put in next month.

Me and dh dtd last night and both of us had the same thought: what if I get pregnant again now! I don't think I could handle that. We need to go back to pull and pray until the IUD is placed. Hopefully, I won't ovulate for several months anyway with bf-ing but I really don't want to be pregger again so soon if ever.

Quote:
Also one of my best friends just gave birth to baby in March that was conceived with one in. Not an option for me.
There is nothing that is 100% effective short of abstinence or surgery. It is my understanding that the paraguard is 99.9% effective.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:35 AM

i had my mirena put in a couple weeks ago.

it's totally fabulous!

mild cramping the first day, but it's effective immediately after its inserted.

i wish i knew about its effect on milk supply...that just didn't work out for us like i had planned, though we still nurse after i get home from work and at night. mostly for her comfort, but i love it.

and perfectly for me, it's good for 5 years. i need to go back to school.

Shirl, (f)un!-married to my love since 05', Momma to (Rosey!) Norah Rose *5/08'* & (Brutus!) Blaze Noah *11/12'*
Old 07-19-2008, 04:26 PM

I cant rely on nursing, but I've also charted with success since my cycles are so regular. However, DH will be getting the V soon, and after thats done (well, after all the follow-ups!) I wont have to think about it anymore:

User Tag List