two middle names? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-18-2008, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had a home birth a week ago, so until I get her birth certificate her name is not set in stone.

For about 4 months we were going to name her Ava Jolie and about a week before she was born my dh told me how he really did not like the name. It was the name I gave to the first baby I m/c and he only saw it not as a tribute, but more as something that just brought pain to me.

So I'm thinking instead of Fiona Elon, she can be Fiona Ava-Elon. What do you think of two middle names? Is it a pain in the butt? I got a bib today from someone who thought I named her Ava and it's stiched with the name Ava and it made me cry.

Maybe I'm just hormonal.
#2 of 17 Old 07-18-2008, 05:38 PM

DH has two middle names and we gave dd2 two middle names: Heidi Evan Rose. DH loves having 4 names (especially because they spell something: KALA), and he really wanted our kids to have initials that spelt something: HERA.
#3 of 17 Old 07-18-2008, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I'd skip the hyphen, but that's me. The name is lovely either way.

My son has two middle names - his name is so long that it doesn't entirely fit on his social security card. I (obviously) like the dual middle name thing. I feel like the extra names mean extra love (which isn't logical at all), and also like it's cool that my kid has alternatives, like a private secret identity he can use if he wants to.
#4 of 17 Old 07-18-2008, 06:44 PM

We're doing 2 middle names. I've tried to give all my kids middle names to fall back on in case they don't like the first one, lol. But w/the new LO his first and middle names are unusual so I'm throwing another one in there for safety's sake Now I wish all my kids had w middle names!
#5 of 17 Old 07-18-2008, 06:45 PM

Sure -- why not have 2 middle names? Both our boys do: Jonah Robert Moise and Daniel Shane Aquila.
#6 of 17 Old 07-18-2008, 09:15 PM

nak.........both our kids have 2....they both have our first and middle names as their middle names
#7 of 17 Old 07-19-2008, 12:04 AM

I know some people don't prefer more than one middle, but that's ok since they don't get naming rights on your new baby. (Isn't it great!) You should do what feels right to you! Whatever you decide, she'll have the perfect name and you can't lose that way. Have you taken a little time using each combo on her to see what fits?

FWIW, all three of our girls have two middle names. It just happened to work out that way with our first DD and then there were three names and a theme we loved for the others, so we chose to continue it with them.
We have:
Kiley Julianna Grace
Isabelle Jenna Faith, aka - Ellie, Ellie Bellie, Elle Belle (you get the drift)
Casslyn Jacey Hope, aka - Cassie (Jacey is after daddy/DH, Jason )

Our boys both have just one middle name, beginning with a "C" (again, just worked out that way...second son's middle, Curry, is a family name).

I know the initial decision-making can be really difficult, but with mine, I can't imagine any of them named anything else...and Cassie's only three weeks old!

Best wishes!
#8 of 17 Old 07-19-2008, 06:02 AM

I didn't like the idea of two middle names until I wanted to honor my dad and dh wanted to honor his too! :P

My Lo is Josiah David Willard... Sure he's going to be really mad when he has to print it name a kajillion times in kindergarten but oh well!

mama, I think Ava is a beautiful name and very sweet to pass it on.
#9 of 17 Old 07-19-2008, 12:12 PM

my 4th and she got 4 names June Bella Lien Dallas
go for the full name

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#10 of 17 Old 07-19-2008, 12:18 PM

We hadn't planned on doing two middle names but my son was born on the night the president of our church passed away, so we wanted to honor him.

His name is Tobias Hinckley Van. It's really long, but I like it. And he'll have plenty of warning when he's making me mad - "TOBIAS HINCKLEY VAN LASTNAME!" ehehe.

With our next baby we're doing two middle names too. Seems unfair to give them to Toby and not the next one. Plus we're only having one more, so I want to use up some of the names I like! I already have a name picked out if we have a boy (sort of - I do know for sure that one of his middle names will be David), but if we have a girl I'm in trouble!

And I really believe in giving a kid a middle name, period. I started going by my middle name 3 years ago when I was 18 and it has made a WORLD of difference. I never felt like an Amanda (my first name) and had all sorts of identity issues and depression growing up. As soon as I started going by my middle name, I felt more like myself than I ever have in my entire life. It has been awesome and I will never go back to Amanda, even though my family still calls me that

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#11 of 17 Old 07-19-2008, 11:19 PM

Our kids all have 2 middle names. Both of them are to honour family members, so we can "get more of them in." I started this b/c me and my sisters were given hyphenated 1st names (i'm Tracy-Lynn), but the second one inevitably got dropped. I liked my mom's idea of us having our own first name, but middle names for family. I also like having "4" names, but didn't want 2 first names for my kids.

So, we ended up w/:

Gabriel Philip Michael
Caius (pr. KYE-us) Mark Adrien
Wren Mara Pearl

I think 2 middle names is awesome. If it feels right to you, go for it!
#12 of 17 Old 07-20-2008, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys. Were going to do the 2 middle names! I really missed the name Ava. So she'll be Fiona Ava Elon. Makes me happy.
#13 of 17 Old 07-20-2008, 11:27 AM

I've got two middles names and so do both of my kids. Speaking from a lifetime of filling out forms and such, the second middle name might as well not exist 99.9% of the time. But I still like that I have one - options are great.

My first son has my partners last name and my second son has my last name - for both the second middle name is the other parent's last name.
#14 of 17 Old 07-20-2008, 05:51 PM

I love it Christine!
#15 of 17 Old 07-20-2008, 10:50 PM

My DS2 has two middle names and DD has three middle names. If you would like her to have two middle names then go for it

Watch out though, apparently the Social Security office has a "rule" about how many characters a SS card can have. When we received DD's card in the mail her third middle name is missing and the SS office said they do not have to put it on the card. I guess the SS office is allowed to decide my child's legal name : Plus, the birth certificate and SS card don't match- hope that doesn't cause any problems. *rant over*

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#16 of 17 Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 AM

NAK

Our whole family has 2 middle names... Dh has his mom's maiden name, I shifted my maiden name to my second middle, and all of our children have my maiden name as their second middle. Works for us!
#17 of 17 Old 07-23-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonBean View Post
NAK

Our whole family has 2 middle names... Dh has his mom's maiden name, I shifted my maiden name to my second middle, and all of our children have my maiden name as their second middle. Works for us!
This is us exactly!!! I love it. My DH doesnt love that my maiden name is in all their names, he thought it made their name long and complicated but really when do you ever have to write your full, legal name?? hardly ever. i dont think it will ever be an issue, esspecially in school.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page