So, now that they're here... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kinds of carriers are we all using? We posted months ago about what carriers we had, and which ones we were going to get...
Now that it's summer and our babes our here, what are you using?
I'm using a Mayawrap ring sling, but still getting the hang of it. First time with a ring sling...
Got a cotton hotslings pouch.... not so crazy about it, since the other pouch I used before was a microfleece peanut shell and I liked the stretch is has.
In the house, I tried to use my Moby Wrap, but got kinda hot. I do like how the weight is distributed in it.
I'm going to Florida to visit my sister in August... thinking about the Gypsymama Bali Baby Breeze. It would work for here and there... we'll see!

Everyone else?

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
#2 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 11:26 AM

Well I have a ringsling I am not using because I can't seem to get the baby comfortable in it.
I also have a mei tei that I am not using yet either.
I have been using my 20 yr old Snuggli because thats what works right now. I really should get an Ergo but I don't have the funds right now.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#3 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 11:38 AM

Jaydence LOVES the wrap that I made. I just took a bedsheet and cut 2 strips about 16" wide and sewed them together to make it 15 feet long. I used the instructions on thebabywearer.com website to tie it around myself. If she's tired and fussy, I just wrap her up and there and she just goes RIGHT. TO. SLEEP. I also made a ring sling, but like Vanessa, can't seem to get her comfortable in there. Sometimes she's okay with it, but most times not.

Part-Time WOHM/Full-Time WAHM to 2 little sweeties PEANUT(2yo) & BUGS(8mos)
Check out my Homepage!:
#4 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 12:02 PM

I'm using a lot of different carriers, but primarily ring-slings and wraps. The wraps work great when I'm walking a lot as her weight is best distributed this way. I can nurse in it if I loosen it up some and drop her down a bit. My favorite wrap is my bali baby stretch - thin and lightweight. I also have a bali baby water wrap that I'll use when it's really hot (or at the beach). Looking forward to using my Didymos slings in the fall!!

I'm also using a ring-sling a lot (usually an unpadded solarveil one). I also like my cotton Zolowear slings. When we want maximum comfort, I use a padded ring-sling. They're super supportive and work great for hands-free nursing.

I've been testing a new pouch fabric, too, which is very nice. It's a stretchy powerdry fabric - very thin with a mesh liner - it's working really well in the heat, too.

Vanessa, if you want any help with your ring-sling, just holler!
#5 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 12:03 PM

I have a Bjorn for now and I'll switch over to my Ergo when she's a little bigger. I can nurse in the Bjorn, so that's great.
#6 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 12:12 PM

nak so excuse the spelling. I've been trying out my moby and mie tei which I like a lot for longer walks although I feel a little like he is slipping out of them after a while. Mostly I use the maya wrap ring slip that I've used though my other kids. I'm really comfortable with it and I find it super fast and easy. L seems to like all of them fine. I'd like a stretchier pouch eventually. I do have a peanut shell pouch but it seems a little small for me.
#7 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 PM

I'm using several different carriers right now..
A Kozy, MayaWrap sling, Moby Wrap, and A Kangaroo Korner cotton pouch.
I mostly used my pouch in the beginning.. or the Moby for both
right now i seem to favor the Maya.. and i'll wear the Kozy and Maya if i want to wear both boys. I'm thinking of asking for another Mayawrap so I can wear them both in slings.
#8 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 PM

I switch between a Hotslings pouch and a Kangaroo Korner pouch. Both work well for us right now. I haven't been brave enough to try out my new mei tai yet, but hopefully soon!

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

#9 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 12:56 PM

I put my Moby on in the morning and take it off after dinner. I need to get another one just so I can have one in the wash while one is on. The food stains are getting a bit disgusting, LOL! Here is Poppy in the Moby.
#10 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 01:43 PM

I use a ring sling w/ baby snugged tight upright/vertical against my shoulder/upper chest. before it got really hot, it worked well to swaddle him first to make him less floppy and more bundle-like.

i really really want a pretty mei tai and an Ergo for dh.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Alora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Ailish Brynn Elspeth, 6/12/14!
#11 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 01:59 PM

From our stash his favorite is the ball baby overall. We also use the babyhawk occasionally. I did not have much luck thus far with our sakura bloom as I stink at using ring slings....
#12 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 02:03 PM

I've been mostly using my Storchenwiege wrap, but when it's really hot out (like mid 80s, which it's been a LOT ) that is just too hot. Then I actually just put her in the stroller because it's shaded and we're ALL more comfortable that way.

I have a Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Breeze wrap, and it is cooler than the Storch, but honestly, I don't like it as much. It's not nearly as soft and it doesn't "grip" the way the fabric in my Storch does, so Claire tends to shift and slip when I go for longer walks. I had this problem when James was little too. I think if I were to buy one again I'd probably get the Bali Baby Stretch instead.

I've been using my Slinglings pouch some, but can't really decide how much I like it - I'm used to the stretch on my KK fleece pouch. It is cooler than the fleece which is nice. Mostly this is for the grocery store and other in/out of the car type activities.

QUESTION: What are you all doing about sun protection for your LO??? With a sling I am having trouble keeping Claire shaded and still not overheating her when it's hot and sunny out.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#13 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 02:04 PM

I'm mostly using my Maya ring sling. I love it for quick in and outs for shopping, appointments, etc. Even if she falls asleep in the car seat by the time she's settled in the sling, she's back asleep! If I'm doing a lot of stuff around the house or walking longer distances, I use the ella roo wrap. The gig is almost up w/ this, though, b/c I'm not quite as efficient at it as she needs me to be. I'm not sure I'll ever master a hold other than the newborn front chest one.

FWIW, I have gotten tons better at using the ring sling since I've used it more. I really did not try hard enough w/ the boys. so far, the girl is happy w/ the front chest hold in that one, too, and I can have her in it in seconds. She doesn't like cradle holds (even when you are actually holding her), so we don't bother w/ that, and I won't have a pouch/peanut sling when winter rolls around.

I'm hoping my sister will get her Mei Tei back from our younger sister soon, b/c I'd like to try it. heard mixed reviews, though...
#14 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 02:06 PM

I'm using a Moby and gauze wrap. And I put dd1 on my back with the MT.
#15 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 02:09 PM

I know lots of people aren't New Native fans, but I've been using ours with good luck (ds also loved it). Great for the farmer's market and for walks when she's fussy. I'm too lazy to pull out my Didy yet, though I plan to!

sweetheart to b , mama to G , W , and expecting : baby 3! in April 2010
#16 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 03:15 PM

I have a sleepy wrap that she loves, but it's 110 here and just way, way too hot to wear it outside. I have a hotsling that I like, but she is absolutely not a fan. My dd loves to be held upright,so the cradle hold is just not working for her. I hope she'll like it when she's bigger and can be in a different position.
#17 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 03:28 PM

Homemade mei tai, Babyhawk or our ring sling (by Sarita Star Designs) but the ring sling is kind of hard to loosen to get off so I like the mei tai's best. Have a big Hot Mama wrap, but she's way too little to use it right now, that thing is way big!

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#18 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries1985 View Post
I have a sleepy wrap that she loves, but it's 110 here and just way, way too hot to wear it outside. I have a hotsling that I like, but she is absolutely not a fan. My dd loves to be held upright,so the cradle hold is just not working for her. I hope she'll like it when she's bigger and can be in a different position.
nak
Have you tried tummy-to-tummy with her in the hotsling? I know they don't have that in the instructions, but Peanut shell does on their site. http://goo-ga.com Same idea, different brand. I use T2T w/ my hotsling.

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
#19 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 04:29 PM

I bought a brand new hotsling and she hates it.
So I"m using my old snugli, which Nate hated.
She's cool with the snugli though, Thank God!
Nate hated to be carried. He loved the stroller
and still does. Whatever works!
#20 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 06:33 PM

sigh ....

I am a baby wearing loser ....

The only thing I feel comfortable/figure out with is the Bjorn. I have a Hotsling, and a Moby wrap, as well as a Maya ring sling. It's like I need someone here to show me how to use them each time .....

I can sort of get it, when I'm with an experienced user ... but then get me home, and no amount of reading/video/playing with the wrap/pouch/sling helps me.

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#21 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 06:47 PM

I'm using both my pouch and my maya ring sling, depending on what we're doing the pouches for when we're out, nursing, or she's sleeping. Maya ring sling when she doesn't want to nurse but wants to be upright, if I'm doing housework and she wants to be awake, etc. She'll frequently fall asleep in it but she doesn't want to go into the pouch if she's not sleepy so we do the maya then. I love babywearing and am so glad I got another sling-loving babe

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#22 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 06:55 PM

My pouch's are not to comfortable at the moment. . .I have a wrap and wear baby that I use and our current fav is the homemade moby wrap in a jersey knit that I even dyed myself
I don't have a ring sling this time around but don't mind. The Mai Tai is not as fun to wear right now, but I think that's because it's not a real great one. Trying to buy a baby hawk.

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#23 of 34 Old 07-22-2008, 07:49 PM

I use my moby and a ring sling. I can't nurse in the wrap though.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#24 of 34 Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltroy View Post

QUESTION: What are you all doing about sun protection for your LO??? With a sling I am having trouble keeping Claire shaded and still not overheating her when it's hot and sunny out.
I use my body (keep my back to the sun so she stays shaded) along with a sunhat for her. When I'm going to be in direct sunlight for more than 5 minutes, I always keep a solarveil sling in the car. This way, I can cover her up if I need to.
#25 of 34 Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM

I'm using my Maya Pouch right now. My Hotsling from baby #3 is too small PP. I bought a Moby Wrap and believed it would solve all my back ache issues. And it could if ds liked it He'll sleep in it for awhile but never when he's awake. He thinks he's 6 mos. old and can hold his head up - he has to be looking around all the time so he doesn't want to be bunched up. The pouch works - I'm a big fan - but after awhile my back starts to ache. I'll be glad when I can wear him wrapped on my back. I think he'll like that.

I'm in the market for a couple of more slings. I want a new Hotsling because they are so much prettier now and I want another wrap because, although mine is pretty cute - its just 5 yds. of fabric I bought - I'd like another something (or two) but we're also in TX so I have to choose carefully. It's over 100 on a regular basis now.
#26 of 34 Old 07-23-2008, 11:29 AM

I've been using my solarveil RS quite a bit - it's so easy to pop him in and out, and the sun protection is nice. I'm loving my mei tai for longer outings, though - the RS just isn't comfortable for either of us for long periods of time.

I'm surprised that I don't really care for my Moby. I thought I'd love it. We've only done the newborn hug hold, though - perhaps we'll both like it better in other holds.

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#27 of 34 Old 07-26-2008, 01:19 AM

we only own a moby wrap that my doula gave me and we love it! norah is quite content to fall asleep in the newborn position, though we've just recently tried turning her around and she seemed to like that too, though i keep bumping her into things while i'm moving around.

i told her to yell at me when i do that
#28 of 34 Old 07-26-2008, 01:00 PM

At the moment, we are using a padded ring sling..easy in and out (or I lie DD down still in the sling and she doesn't wake up---usually)

I'm also loving my Sleepywrap, but it can be too hot. Good for going outside walking though...especially when I have to keep up with my DS.
#29 of 34 Old 07-27-2008, 08:49 AM

Finally - I've been wanting to post here forever, but never managed with noah nursing non-stop, and being sunburned and me being completely sleep deprived...

I don't use ANY carier at the moment, because neither my ring slings nor my mai tai work for us. mainly bc DS feels squashed in the sling and the mai tai is just too big, I guess. I am planning to make one slightly more narrow and with a flap to hold the head, but you know what it's like... - go out to buy fabric? sit down and do some sewing? Ha! In my dreams...

Anyhow, the biggest problem is the heat - all of the above are just too hot for him. I really need to find a aolution bc he is getting heavier and heavier and I don't get ANYthing done, because I am holding him most of the time.
Any advice on carriers for hot climates etc. desperately needed and very welcome... TIA and sorry for semi-hijacking

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#30 of 34 Old 07-27-2008, 12:49 PM

I keep forgetting that some people actually get hot summers. We live in the Pacific NW and it has been cold and foggy here for as long as I can remember. I don't even own a pair of shorts. I'm sorry that it is so hot for your babies, but I have to admit that I am a little jealous of your sunny days.

That being said, we have used the ergo, a posh pappoose RS, and a woven wrap. So far, Rex likes the wrap best, but I wear the RS or ergo for errands because dealing with the yards of wrap can be overwhelming when he is screaming.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page