Car Accident with the baby. :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2008, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to share what happened last Friday. We were rear ended in our Benz station wagon. Just the baby and me. We are OK, but I am quite sore. The entire back was smashed in and I was hit into the person in front of me. I was in complete shock and just kept saying "oh my god" over and over. The keys were knocked out of the ignition, so I had to find them to even turn off the car. Then I couldn't get the back door open at first. I must have had that super mommy power going because I yanked it to get the baby and it opened. Then it wouldn't even come close to closing. It was like two inches off! The entire back window shattered, and there were pieces of glass in Akasha's carseat! But miraculously there wasn't a scratch on her! I was so completely freaked out and was probably squishing her I was holding her so tight! My DH drove right over. He said the entire frame is bent, and that means they are going to have to total it. I am so sad about this. There goes our biodiesel car. I am also worried about if this is going to affect my back. It would be a bummer to not be able to babywear, but it will be terrible as I think we are going to move and I need to pack. This is enough stress for our family. I feel like I am at the breaking point!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 AM

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that happened. I would be so scared! I'm glad to hear you're both ok though (as in, don't need to be in the hospital). Hopefully your back will loosen up and you have many days of babywearing ahead of you. One of my biggest fears is being in a car accident with the kids. Scares me to death.

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:13 AM

I'm so glad you are ok! Make sure you have the insurance company replace all car seats that were in the vehicle at the time of the crash. We got into a minor fender bender, there was not much damage but b/c I had an injury (sore back), Britax told me to replace the seats just in case. They may not look damaged, but that doesn't mean they aren't!

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
Old 08-05-2008, 12:45 PM

I know the feeling. DS2 and were broad sided (on his car seat side) when he was 6 months old. I had the mama bear thing going b/c I crawled across two carseats to get to him. We were both totally okay, but I told the ambulance driver not to let the other driver near me (he felt v. bad) b/c I wasn't sure I wouldn't try to hurt him.

it's so scary, but I'm glad the 2 of you are okay.

Tracy
Old 08-05-2008, 11:20 PM

How terrifying that must have been! I'm so sorry. I hardly go anywhere because the baby screams in the car, but even when she's fine, I'm a little nervous. And moving too! You've had a rough go of it this year. I hope at least everything is going smoothly w the baby.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 AM

s mama! That sounds super scary. I'm so glad that you guys are OK.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
Old 08-06-2008, 02:06 AM

i'm so glad the two of you are alright!
[makes me glad i don't drive...]

anyway, thank goodness.

and rest in peace, lovely mercedes.
[get your back checked asap!]

Shirl, (f)un!-married to my love since 05', Momma to (Rosey!) Norah Rose *5/08'* & (Brutus!) Blaze Noah *11/12'*
Old 08-06-2008, 02:16 AM

not in your ddc but wanted to say im glad you aand baby are ok.

and get yourself to a chiro. for your back. maybe baby too (i take my son to a chiro often).

there are more benz that can run on biodiesel. you and baby are the impt. things.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:11 PM

Oh my gosh how scary! I'm so glad to hear that everyone was ok. Please take care of yourself! (And check about getting a new car seat - you're supposed to replace them once they've been in an accident).

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 08-06-2008, 04:47 PM

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad that you are both ok.

I was rear ended badly (we were stopped at a stoplight and hit by a van going 60 mph - by the other driver's own estimate!) when dd1 was little and it was awful... she had bruises develop on her body where her carseat straps went across her body. :shudder:

So, so, so glad you're ok!

ETA - Absolutely agree w/ pp... don't forget to trash the carseat and replace. Your insurance should cover it! again!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 PM

Oh, Lisa, I'm so sorry! I saw the title of the thread and I'm glad I clicked... I had no idea it was you! I'm glad Akasha is ok. Must have been so scary for you! I'm fighting tears just thinking about it! I hope you can get lots of chiro!

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
Old 08-07-2008, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the support mamas! We are both going for chiro on Friday. My aches and pains have subsided and are pretty dealalbe at this point. I am surprised I feel as good as I do, although I am still stiff and achy in places.

And the insurance will replace the carseats, but it is taking awhile. I feel like I shouldn't be driving with her in the old one, although I have a bit. I think a friend picked up one a mutual friend is giving me yesterday. Must check into that tomorrow!

I posted the pics my DH took with his phone if anybody is interested:
http://mama-neomia.blogspot.com/2008...h-of-benz.html
Old 08-08-2008, 06:17 AM

Holy moly. I'm glad it was a wagon and not the sedan I was picturing. The thought of the window breaking immediately on top of a baby just freaked me out. Healing vibes your way.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 08-09-2008, 02:49 AM

crashing-

i know just how you feel... ds and i were hit by a guy who ran a stop sign when he was just two weeks old! it was awful but we were both okay thank goodness!

hang in there

Old 08-09-2008, 07:57 PM

The insurance should cover chiropractic care. Chiropractic care is the best way to go to help you recover after a car accident for sure. I never had adequate care after several rear endings as a kid and it screwed my back up and caused me pain until I finally got it taken care of a few months ago. I can tell you... it was harder to deal with while pregnant! I'm all fixed up now... but of course my pregnant body is working it's hardest to undo all of that. I have to keep going back in weekly for them to try to maintain it. (and the weekly thing was my idea... they said I could do every 3 weeks... but I can't go that long without being in excruciating pain.)

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
Old 08-10-2008, 03:23 AM

Crashing
Glad to hear you both are ok. Hope the chiro helped!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:27 PM

glad you are ok!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 PM

Glad you both are okay! It must of been so scary..
Old 08-13-2008, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! I feel OK, with just some residual soreness. I did get to a chiro, and she pointed out it makes sense I rode it out pretty well because of the relaxin, but for the same reason, I could be more tweaked than I realize and could heal badly. She also made a point of telling me not to take any settlement for awhile for the same reason. Apparently I can pop up with problems down the rode even more likely because of being post partum. Fingers crossed I don't though!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:59 PM

User Tag List