First Timer--is this normal?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-25-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
elf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. After 2 years of fertility treatments--still very much in shock/denial--but VERY happy to be here. However, what makes me think this must be for real is my VERY LARGE and DISTENDED abdomen. Is this normal? None of my jeans fit. I look 4-5 months pregnant but I am only 5 weeks pregnant.

Is anyone else "crampy"?

Congrats to everyone!
#2 of 11 Old 10-25-2007, 05:47 PM

It might be normal for some people - random strangers can tell I am pregnant at 6-7 weeks. My abdominal area is also already huge, even though it is only day 21.
#3 of 11 Old 10-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Dea

Hi there. I'm not in your DDC, but with your fertility treatments did you have several eggs? It could be fluid from all of the follicles. I also had fertility treatments and I was so sore after I ovulated because of all of the extra fluid from the follicles. I wasn't bad enough to warrant being hospitalized, but I was advised bed rest and lots of liquids.
I would suggest calling your doctor though.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#4 of 11 Old 10-25-2007, 08:45 PM

I'd say I was feeling crampy, but really to the dismay of my dh it's more like gassy.

I'm guessing that because of the fertility treatments, you'll probably see a doctor pretty soon anyways. You can mention it too him/her.

Congradulations!!! Two years, what a wait.
#5 of 11 Old 10-25-2007, 08:56 PM

One of the common first pg symptoms is bloating--you might just be retaining a lot of water. (I can hardly button some of my pants--but in my first pregnancy I had the same experience and I "deflated" again before actually starting to show.)
#6 of 11 Old 10-25-2007, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
elf

Thank you for all your advice. This month I did have 6 good size follicles and 7 smaller follicles. I never thought about the extra "fluid" released into my abdomen--I am sure that is part of this. The rest of my huge tummy sounds like normal preggo bloat. I am crossing my fingers that i "deflate" or this is going to be a long 9 months.
#7 of 11 Old 10-26-2007, 10:18 AM

I have been crampy....but not bloated...but I do remember with dd1 I was already having to leave my pants unbuttoned at about 4 weeks or so......I am with the other about discussing it with your dr. though just to put your mind at ease.
#8 of 11 Old 10-29-2007, 05:22 PM

I am only 5 weeks preggo with my 2nd and you can tell! I started showing really early with my first too, I couldn't button my pants by week 9!!! I went to the dr. today and have already gained 2 lbs. My theory is that I always get really bloated before my period and when you are preggo, it just doesn't go away... Maybe I am just wishful thinking....
#9 of 11 Old 10-29-2007, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
elf

Thanks for all the encouragement to call my doctor with my abdominal pains and distension. Turns out I have ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome and a very enlarged ovary that is out of my pelvis. This sometimes happens when you take fertility drugs and the syndrome if fed by pregnancy hormones of you do conceive so it gets much worse. Has anyone heard of this or had any experience?
I am off work for at least a week to try to prevent ovarian torsion or rupture. I feel like I want to die.
I hope everything is okay.
#10 of 11 Old 10-29-2007, 08:05 PM

I hope that everything is okay, too--best of luck to you and please keep us posted.
#11 of 11 Old 10-30-2007, 12:30 AM

wow, I hope it shrinks down quick for you. Feel better soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page