Friendly Reminder to Treat Morning Sickness BEFORE it hits... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 128 Old 11-11-2007, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Milk thistle & estrogen effects - From what I read about it, there's a "possible" connection, but there hasn't been any kind of evidence. There seems to be more evidence to support that Milk Thistle is beneficial to endometrios patients to help support the body's ability to regulate estrogen & process excess in a way that's helpful to the body. This is Shonda Parker's site. She's a well-known herbalist & huge promoter of Milk Thistle during pregnancy. You might find some answers with her: http://naturallyhealthy.org/archive3.htm
Thanks for the information and the link Spark. That's a great site, so much useful information.
#62 of 128 Old 11-11-2007, 07:18 PM

Someone tell me why I'm so paranoid about RR Leaf Tea? I mean, truly paranoid. I drink it mixed with several other herbs in a pregnancy tea. The tea is awesome, makes me feel better, but I worry constantly about it. I am a worrier at heart anyway but I'm really worried about this. Even though MOST things I read say it's OK. I'm such a pain!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#63 of 128 Old 11-11-2007, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Herenow - the slant there is definitely Christian. Which if you are, then it's great. If you aren't, then just know that the information is REALLY good! Glad you're enjoying the read.

Well, let's see, Amy, RRL does have tannins in it. Some women are more prone to ctx when taking tannines. But, if you haven't experienced that in the past, then its' probably not an issue for you. RRL is used to prevent miscarriage. Susan Weed is a well respected herbalist & she has tons of info here on RRL for all stages pre and during pregnancy. http://www.susunweed.com/Article_Pregnancy_Problems.htm

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#64 of 128 Old 11-11-2007, 10:57 PM

Just thought I'd mentioned that I was able to find a time release B-6. I like that I only have to take 1 pill and it covers me for a day, I hope.

So far I'm feeling well, just super tired. I'm only getting a bit queasy, mostly due to eating something that didn't agree or going too long without eating. Waiting for the other herbs I bought online to arrive.

I'm also about a week to 2 weeks out from when the worst usually hits for me. :
#65 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Lex&Cay View Post
I'm also about a week to 2 weeks out from when the worst usually hits for me. :
Me too. I may be feeling great now, but the real test for all the herbal supplements will begin later. I'm only 4 weeks right now. I hope we all continue to do well!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#66 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, week 7-8 is the real test for me. : Let it work!

#67 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 02:33 PM

I keep thinking "please let this work in a couple of weeks" so we'll see. I usually don't feel yucky this early and have felt massive twinges of m/s. I would already be down for the count if it weren't for all of these great ideas. So thank you so much for this! Every day I manage to function is a gift. I'll be eternally grateful to you!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#68 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama to 2 girls View Post
I just got some milk thistle extract from the health food store and the one I bought has the least amount of anything added...It is standardized to 80% Silymarin, but it also has 700mg of Turmeric in it. Is that ok?
Ack! I'm so sorry, I didn't catch the tumeric info the first time I read though... I don't even know why I was re-reading, but I was! Anyway, that's too much Turmeric for pregnancy. Turmeric helps the liver cleanse and supports healthy function, however it's a mild uterine stimulant as well. It's fine to flavor food, but 700mg is too much while pregnant... unless you're in the last couple weeks. I'm going to PM you to make sure you see this!

#69 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad9 View Post
Every day I manage to function is a gift. I'll be eternally grateful to you!
Hey, I just compiled the info & everyone else has added what they know, too. This is about you making choices for you to have the best possible pregnancy you can have.

Who else feels like a major science experiement? It's like we're all prepping for the big 7-8 week surge... wondering... will our experiment work!?!? Sometimes I think, OF COURSE IT WILL, other times I get fearful and wonder if I should start care with an OB... but really, it HAS to work. I just can't check out of life for months on end.

#70 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Who else feels like a major science experiement? It's like we're all prepping for the big 7-8 week surge... wondering... will our experiment work!?!?
Time will tell. But it BETTER WORK!!!!!!!!!!! I can't be that sick again.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#71 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 07:22 PM

Well, I got REALLY sick this afternoon. Nothing was helping. I decided to try the Zofron to see how I reacted since I didn't have any driving etc. to do. It worked like a miracle. I feel completely normal. Now I'm worried I'll want to take it all the time. I'm still going to do all the herbal and supplemental stuff because it *is* helping. I just have to be able to function. Please, God, don't let this harm my baby.

#72 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 08:17 PM

Ha, I was just joking to my husband that I feel like I'm in a science experiment. I just checked my milk thistle bottle and I wanted to run the ingredients by you to see if they sound ok dose wise (since you're the expert here!!)...

it's milk thistle 120mg providing 100mg silymarin and 20 mg of milk thistle fruit and 14 mg citrus bioflavonoids. All good?

I don't feel great today. I don't know if it's that I didn't sleep enough, drink enough, eat enough, a combo or just that my time to feel icky has come. I still don't have wild yam root, I'm going to pick some up when I go into town tomorrow. Going to drink some peppermint tea and hope for the best tonight.

Good luck ladies!!! That 7-8 week mark is coming!! Here's hoping our luck keeps up!
#73 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Well, I got REALLY sick this afternoon. Nothing was helping. I decided to try the Zofron to see how I reacted since I didn't have any driving etc. to do. It worked like a miracle. I feel completely normal. Now I'm worried I'll want to take it all the time. I'm still going to do all the herbal and supplemental stuff because it *is* helping. I just have to be able to function. Please, God, don't let this harm my baby.
Try not to worry too much about this. Zofran, like any drug, is not risk-free, but it is well-tested and proven quite safe. I would rather take this than most other drugs during pregnancy--and I feel that it is better for my babe than a horrible diet, which is all that I can manage when not taking it. Anyway, if you do take it, it does no good to feel guilty. You've made an educated decision, you know? Go with what you think is best for the babe--and you--and then try not to second-guess yourself.
#74 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 08:58 PM

You're right and thank you. I worry about everything. Especially when things make me feel better. Somehow it's in my head that I have to suffer to get good things. Anyway - when the herbs were helping I worried that those were harmful. I feel selfish for wanting/needing to be functional and feel decent. I'm a wack job.

#75 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, I got REALLY sick this afternoon.
Oh, Amy, I'm so sorry. What all are you taking? I went back & reread & it looks just like B-6? Are you doing anything else? If so, how much? I mean, I know you're doing the pregnancy tea, but there's not really anything in there associated with reducing M/S or hyperemisis.

I'm glad you got relief from Zofran. There just might be other things for you, if you want to explore the herbal remedies. Wild Yam Root & False Unicorn are stronger than just B-6 alone. Milk Thistle is really nice, too, but I would hit WWR & False Unicorn if you can only keep down a little bit.

But, don't feel pressured to do more natural remedies if you feel like you just want Zofran. Let your heart be your guide & you'll be on the right path. We all have to do what's best for our families.

#76 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

sorry double post

#77 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs rockstar View Post
it's milk thistle 120mg providing 100mg silymarin and 20 mg of milk thistle fruit and 14 mg citrus bioflavonoids. All good?

I still don't have wild yam root, I'm going to pick some up when I go into town tomorrow. Going to drink some peppermint tea and hope for the best tonight.
So, topping out at 3 of those Milk Thistle capsules a day sounds like a good limit. They sound really nice.

Yeah, if you're feeling nauseaus for sure, get on that WYR. It's best to start before nausea hits, but you're still in the early stages, it sounds like. Prime time to add it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs rockstar View Post
Good luck ladies!!! That 7-8 week mark is coming!! Here's hoping our luck keeps up!
Please, please. please! : Happy tummy vibes!

Still NO nausea from me. This is great. I'm 5w 2d.
This is what I'm on...
150 mg of B-6 spread out into 3 doses (just cheap stuff from grocery store, I take vit C for absorbtion)
1 unisom at bedtime (along with one of the B-6's) - I take this only because of my history with severe Nausea and Vomitting in Pregnancy (NVP)
Wild Yam Root in pill form 3x per day PLUS by Mannatech
Milk Thistle 3x per day
Extra folic acid (800 mcg total)
Probiotics (Kefir)
Water with lemon
--------------- added ---------------
Enzymes before meals Simplexity Health Enzymes
Flax Seed Oil (this isn't really NVP prevention)

#78 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 10:01 PM

Does anyone else have issues with the Unisom making them too tired? I took one before bed and I was knocked out the whole next day; taking a half, which I tried, was better, but didn't really help the nausea. (The whole one did help the nausea....but I was too tired to be a good teacher or to feel comfortable driving.) I'd really rather be okay with the herbs than need the Zofran, but I just have so many side effects with the herbs.
#79 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 10:07 PM

Yes - the unisom always hit me hard and for a long time. Even when I only took a half. FWIW the Zofron did not make me tired at all.

OK - I'm doing the tea which is RRL, Nettles, Dandelion, Chamomile, spearment, rosehips, alphelpha. About 1 qt/day of that. I take a multitude of vitamins. A b complex slow release, the 150 b6 spread out three times, emergen-c (1/day), omega 3's (1000mg), more milk two which has RRL, Nettles, and something I can't remember . I did WYR a couple of times but worried b/c it was in pill form that I was taking too much. I noticed you posted to that above so I will try that again. Also - I've been eating about 10 grams of protein with occasional carbs every hour and a half up intil around 11pm. I eat breakfast at 8 a.m. or so. I also drink about 100 oz of water/day.

It's so frustrating b/c I did this last time as well (minus the WYR) and it only helps to a point. Plus I feel more sick and much, much earlier than last time.

weird thing is that when I took the Zofron my nipples didn't hurt as much when I nursed the baby! I don't get that at all.

Anyway - thanks for listening. I whine my way through the first and half of the second trimester every time. Oh, wait, I whine about something through the whole pregnancy.

#80 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

OMG! I just went back to my last DDC's archives! IT'S WORKING!!!! I couldn't remember the details, so I went & looked it up. Last time I was nauseaus up until the 5th week & then I started puking! http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=269279 OMG! I can say it's working thus far!!!! Not only have I not puked, but I'm not at all nauseaus! OMG! I wish that for you all!!!!!!

Unisom - Because I was hospitalized for such a long time last pregnancy and read the studies at motherisk.org for HG women, I really trust in it. I have taken it religiously every night before bed. I really don't care if I'm more tired (not that I've been able to tell the dif between it & regular 1st trimester stuff). Frankly I don't care about being tired. I need to not vomit blood & bile.

Hmmm, so Ekblad, you really only have a minute amount of Dandelion (weaker than MIlk Thistle) and B-6 going on for you. It's really not much for anti-nausea. You can do herbs in combination with Zofran. It might mean that you can take less Zofran or feel a longer lasting effect from it. I'm so sorry you're dealing with M/S.

#81 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 11:49 PM

I couldn't find anything on safefetus...is unisom ok for nursing moms too? I'm guessing yes if it's ok for pregnancy but wanted to double check.
#82 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 12:01 AM

I took unisom with my last two pregnancies and I was also nursing. I think it's fine but that's not documented (that I've seen).

I searched the archives too and I didn't get sick like this last time until the middle of week 8! I'm only 5 wks 3 days right now. That's a shame for me.

I'll look into some of the herbal treatments. I'm hoping I can get a grip on the herbal stuff while on the Zofron. If I'm not too sick I think I can keep up with the other stuff better.

#83 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

nak
Here's a run-down of meds & safety while breastfeeding. I think this is from Dr. Hale's book:
http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?t=20875

I use unisom at night. My almost 2yo is night weaned. It's one of those calculated risks, I take, because I feel the benefits far outweigh the risks to either of us.

#84 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalehm View Post
Does anyone else have issues with the Unisom making them too tired?
I took generic unisom and B6 twice a day with my 3rd pregnancy. It took about a week and a half for my body to adjust and be able to function without feeling super-tired. I've heard that from other people too who've taken it. Usually there is an adjustment period.

#85 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 10:32 AM

I was really hoping this pregnancy would be a bit different but at 5 weeks, 6 days I am feeling really bad. I haven't puked yet but I feel so close. I'm pretty much nauseous all day long and then I get these tiny windows of feeling OK so I'm able to actually eat something. I'm so tired and go to bed early but can't sleep because I feel so sick and don't even want to roll over.

I'm taking B6 with vit C three times a day along with milk thistle. I tried some RRL tea yesterday but it didn't help. I don't like tea to begin with so the smell just kind of put me over the edge. I might try to find some wild yam root.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#86 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 10:50 AM

Spark-
I bought milk thistle caplets. They have 80% (whatever that ingredient is?). But I just noticed it also has Turmeric and it says on the bottle that pregnant and lactating women (I am pg AND lactating) shouldn't take these pills because they shouldn't take turmeric. What do you think of this?

Also, I have mild but annoying nausea on and off throughout the day and night. I know there is a risk/benefit that should be weighed while taking any meds while pg. Is this the same with any of these herbs or are they TOTALLY safe? I also bought dandelion leaf/root tincture and yellow dock root tincture-- but haven't taken them yet.

Right now I am just drinking some mild dandelion leaf tea and mild nettle/rrl tea throughout the day. I think those are helping a little and I feel like they are good for me right now. But then I hear people say that their MWs tell them not to take RRL in the first trimester and that makes me a little nervous. But my body is telling me these teas are good for me-- so I guess I should just trust my body, right?

Thanks for your help. You are doing a great thing by getting all this information out!

Lorette
#87 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 01:56 PM

Well, I'm 5 weeks today and it's starting. The headachy - constant nausau I had for 2 months with my son. Oh boy. I can't remember if we can even take Aleve or anything for headaches - I get really REALLY bad headaches (almost migraines, I get those too) but not quite. I need some stomach settling tea or something. Or a hug. LOL.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#88 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to one View Post
I'm taking B6 with vit C three times a day along with milk thistle. I tried some RRL tea yesterday but it didn't help. I don't like tea to begin with so the smell just kind of put me over the edge. I might try to find some wild yam root.
I'm sorry you're not feeling so well. Are you maxed out on the MT? And, you're getting at least 70% silymarin, right?

RRL has no correlation with helping nausea. It's just not documented anywhere.

I think adding Wild Yam Root and possibly False Unicorn tincture may help you. Or if you wanted to do ginger. Just make sure and follow the recommendation for M/S with ginger (linked in my signature) if you decide to try it. All ginger is not the same.

#89 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorette View Post
Spark-
I bought milk thistle caplets. They have 80% (whatever that ingredient is?). But I just noticed it also has Turmeric and it says on the bottle that pregnant and lactating women (I am pg AND lactating) shouldn't take these pills because they shouldn't take turmeric. What do you think of this?
I hope you don't mind, I'm going to save myself some typing & just redirect you to other posts in this thread.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...3&postcount=68

Quote:
Is this the same with any of these herbs or are they TOTALLY safe? I also bought dandelion leaf/root tincture and yellow dock root tincture-- but haven't taken them yet.
If you follow the recommended limits (in OP and linked in my siggie) then they are totally safe. What are you taking yellow dock root tincture for? It has no correlation to nausea that I'm aware of, FYI.

Quote:
Right now I am just drinking some mild dandelion leaf tea and mild nettle/rrl tea throughout the day. I think those are helping a little and I feel like they are good for me right now. But then I hear people say that their MWs tell them not to take RRL in the first trimester and that makes me a little nervous. But my body is telling me these teas are good for me-- so I guess I should just trust my body, right?
Dandelion is milder than milk thistle. So, you're not realy getting the full benefit from that, yet I'm sure it's helping somewhat. Nettle and RRL have no correlation with helping M/S or nausea. Tannins are a reason that some M/Ws recommend skipping RRL. Here's what we talked about earlier in this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...0&postcount=63

Wishing you ease & good health.

#90 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry you're not feeling so well. Are you maxed out on the MT? And, you're getting at least 70% silymarin, right?

RRL has no correlation with helping nausea. It's just not documented anywhere.

I think adding Wild Yam Root and possibly False Unicorn tincture may help you. Or if you wanted to do ginger. Just make sure and follow the recommendation for M/S with ginger (linked in my signature) if you decide to try it. All ginger is not the same.

Hi Spark. Maybe you can help me. I just checked out my milk thistle caplets and here's the list of ingredients:

Milk Thistle Seed Powder (80% Silymarin) 2100mg
Burdock Root Powder 155mg
Dandelion Root Powder 155mg
Licorice Root Powder 40mg
Wild Yam Root Powder 60mg

I've been taking 3 caplets/day although the bottle says I can take as much as 6/day. What do you think? And the amount of Wild Yam Root Powder? Is that sufficient? Or is there a higher dosage recommended and I should pick some more up. I tried to find some ginger capsules but didn't have any luck. I tried all things ginger during my first pregnancy and now the smell makes me even more nauseous so I would need something with no odour.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page