Friendly Reminder to Treat Morning Sickness BEFORE it hits... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, just a reminder to start treating morning sickness before it hits. If you treat before it sets in, it will be less than if you wait until you're sick to start treating. www.motherisk.org one of the foremost researchers on morning sickness and hyperemisis recommends starting treatment for those with a history of bad morning sickness before M/S kicks in.

There is a long list of proven natural treatments HERE I think my favorite combo is Milk Thistle & Wild Yam root. B6, ginger tablets and lemon water are really nice, too. But, take a look & see what you think might work best for yourself. Remember, the earlier you start, the more likely they are to balance you out.

Now, keep in mind as VeganF pointed out further in this thread, that morning sickness is good for the body to an extent. http://www.greenjournal.org/cgi/cont...tract/95/5/779 At the same time, if you've been incapacitated from M/S or HG before... starting preemptive treatment will do much more for you than just reacting when it hits.

Ugh, Morning Sickness & HG. No fun! Can we put a ban on the ": puke" smilie right now???

Wishing you all healthy and happy 9 months!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, so I thought I should mention what I'm taking right now:
150 mg of B-6 spread out into 3 doses
1 unisom at bedtime (along with one of the B-6's) - I take this only because of my history with severe Nausea and Vomitting in Pregnancy (NVP)
Wild Yam Root in pill form 3x per day
Milk Thistle 3x per day
Extra folic acid (800 mcg total)
Probiotics
Water with lemon

(Why Unisom? If you need even bigger guns than Wild Yam Root, starting 50mg B-6 with one traditional Unisom (doxylamine succinate) at night before bed may be the right option for you. As Morning Sickness kicks in then, you can increase to 25 mg of Vitamin B6, three time a day, together with half of a Unisom tablet (doxylamine succinate), i.e., 12.5 mg three time a day. Make sure you don't confuse the gel Unisom for the traditional doxylamine succinate kind.)

Old 11-06-2007, 10:36 AM

So b-6 is good for morning sickness? I didn't know that. I'm still taking the 150 mg once a day for my short luteal phase.... I was too scared to stop. Should I just spread it out over 3 doses? I was unsure if it was too much and could be dangerous to the baby...

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 AM

I have all Oops babies, so it's hard to start early. I posted in your pregnancy resources thread last week actually. Most of the remedies simply do nothing for me.
The only thing I haven't tried is the wild yam root and acupuncture. I'm going to try to get some wild yam root next week. And we have different health insurance than last time, though I have my doubts if acupuncture will be covered, but I'll certainly try if it gets really bad like with my third.

I'm already starting back on the dandelion root and added B6. I have both plain dandelion root and a dandelion root milk thistle combo.
I am not willing to use Unisom unless absolutely necessary, though I took it for 10 weeks with my third pregnancy.

Of course taking anything means actually being able to choke it down, which can be difficult to do with the heightened senses of pregnancy!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 11-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Going to the health food store today. I didn't have bad ms with my first two but I don't feel good at all this time.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:17 PM

A question about B6. I can only find 100mg doses. Are they a type of tablet that I can cut in half to spread the dosage throughout the day?

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post
So b-6 is good for morning sickness? I didn't know that. I'm still taking the 150 mg once a day for my short luteal phase.... I was too scared to stop. Should I just spread it out over 3 doses? I was unsure if it was too much and could be dangerous to the baby...
150 mg is just fine. Yes, splitting it up makes it easier for your body to absorb, especially if M/S kicks in for you.

So, did it help with your lutal phase? I guess so, huh?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
I have all Oops babies, so it's hard to start early. I posted in your pregnancy resources thread last week actually. Most of the remedies simply do nothing for me.
Ooh, yes, I responded. I was glad you posted your experience. I wrote you some questions. I'm sorry you didn't get any relief from what you tried. I hope this time is much easier for you.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to one View Post
A question about B6. I can only find 100mg doses. Are they a type of tablet that I can cut in half to spread the dosage throughout the day?
Yeah, I'd just go ahead and split them in half. I bought cheap B6 from a grocery store because we weren't sure if we were going to TTC & I wanted to prep but not spend big bucks. The cheap kind I bought only comes in 100mg. So, I just split them. they have a handy line on them.

The higher qaulity B6 comes with vitamin C for added absorbancy. My cheap form does not, so I just usually try to take it with some kind of C either with my vitamin or with some C food.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:07 PM

Why start the unisom now? Does it help prevent it or build up in your system or something? I've tried mass amounts of b-6 and all that before. It never helped all that much but did sometimes take the edge off. What about herbs? I know those take a while to build up in your system. I'm starting with those this time. my b-6 also has b-12 and folic acid in it. Is that OK?

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 11-06-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Amy, the reason to start immediately is because study after study has shown that it lessens the severity of nausea & vomitting during pregnancy. If you start treatment when the symptoms are in full swing it's a lot harder to reverse the symptoms. Here is the most well known study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...934&query_hl=2 I know you mentioned trying Zofran this time around. If you can take that study (there are others, too, but this is the best known) to your Dr. and request Zofran (or generic) now before your symtoms you may have a better time getting insurance to cover it. If you really want to go the Zofran route, you could start 2-4mg once a day.

Motherisk has done oodles of studies with B-6/Unisom (called Diclectin in Canada) and they can actually help you come up with a game plan suited just for you if you give them a call. They are VERY helpful. They'll asnwer any questions you have, too & create a file for you at their organization.

Herbs, just like medicine are best when started BEFORE nausea and vomitting kick in. I'm 4.5 weeks pregnant. Usually I'm queasy at this point. Nope. Not in the least. I'm HUNGRY. I hope it keeps up! I'm soooo happy!

I don't know the upper limits of B-12 & folic acid. I'd just make sure that if you top off B-12 to 150mg, that you're not overdosing on the other vitamins in there. But, all in all it's nice to do B-vitamin combos.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:56 PM

I have some Zofron here. I just hesitate to take anything unless I"m totally desperate. I know it makes sense that when you feel sick you don't eat and then you throw up and it's a vicious cycle. I just am afraid to take anything unless I have to. I am pushing the herbs and that's making me a bit nervous too. I'm just a wreck all the time, LOL. I"m terrified of the sever m/s I know is to come but also of the drugs or herbs that might help it. I feel like I have to suffer through it every time. I feel selfish if I try something and it hurts the baby. But I worry about who will take care of me and my kids while I'm pukey for 4 months.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 PM

I take B6 and did with the first pg (50 mg/day) and I'm sure it helped with the m/s. Why the unisom?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Maggi! I live in Ann Arbor, too! The Unisom is only needed if you had severe morning sickness or hyperemsis in previous pregnancies. So, if you were able to semi-function, it's probably not for you. There are soooo many herbs in that link in the OP. If you feel like you want to try something else, you might find something listed that sounds appealing.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:12 AM

And I know this is probably a yes duh question but all of this is safe while breastfeeding, yeah? I've checked all the regular places and am coming up with yes duh answers there too but I like to hear it from real people too
Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Maggi! I live in Ann Arbor, too! The Unisom is only needed if you had severe morning sickness or hyperemsis in previous pregnancies. So, if you were able to semi-function, it's probably not for you. There are soooo many herbs in that link in the OP. If you feel like you want to try something else, you might find something listed that sounds appealing.
I'm in Canton! Not far from you ladies!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
150 mg is just fine. Yes, splitting it up makes it easier for your body to absorb, especially if M/S kicks in for you.

So, did it help with your lutal phase? I guess so, huh?
It DID! I had 7-8 day LPs for 2 months and then we got pregnant on the 3rd. I'm still nursing ALL the time especially at night since we cosleep so we were pleasantly surprised with the +!

I'm going to split up the dose, thanks for the info. I was dreadfully nauseous the whole first trimester with my DS. Blah....:

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Old 11-07-2007, 12:43 AM

Claire, how nice to meet a fellow Ann Arborite! And Amy, you're so close -- perhaps we should get together sometime. A little MDC mini-meetup.

Thanks for the clarification about the Unisom. I'll keep it in my bag of tricks.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs rockstar View Post
And I know this is probably a yes duh question but all of this is safe while breastfeeding, yeah? I've checked all the regular places and am coming up with yes duh answers there too but I like to hear it from real people too
All the herbs and recommendations listed in the link in my siggie & linked in the OP are safe while breastfeeding.

The unisom & Zofran are class drugs though, so they do carry some risks. It's one of those risks outweigh the benefits if you haven't had more than regular old morning sickness.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

I tried to reply to you before, but kept getting the "server busy" page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad9 View Post
I have some Zofron here. I just hesitate to take anything unless I"m totally desperate. ... But I worry about who will take care of me and my kids while I'm pukey for 4 months.
Maybe you need to read more of the research done on preemptive treatment. I mean, the thing is, yes you could wait until you were totally desperate, but you would never get the relief as if you started following a protocol now. By starting a protocol (whether that's just herbal or a combination) statisticly speaking, not only will you delay the onset of NVP but also the severity and duration.

Well, the herbs are totally safe & can be started now as long as their within the recommended doses. Weighing the risks of Zofran definitely has to be done. It's category B. Certainly not like taking a Tylenol, but not like doing steroids either.

You Canton girl, you! You're right around the block from us.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

finnegansmom - very cool on the LP! Yeah, nursing definitely has an effect!

nubianamy - we should meet up at Molly's store sometime. It's www.treecitydiapers.com It's a fun hang out. Ekblad, you wanna come, too? I know a friend of yours Stephanie/trnsmom.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:00 AM

Sure, I'll meet up! Let me know when. Sometimes I'm hard to pin down with all these pesky kids

So I'll have to do some more research on the herbs. I need to make sure I'm no ODing with the RRL. It's in the More Milk Two but I'm also drinking it in tea form. So much to learn. You'd think this was my first baby and not my eighth!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
All the herbs and recommendations listed in the link in my siggie & linked in the OP are safe while breastfeeding.
Awesome, thank you. I picked up all the herbs and vitamins today though I'm going to skip the unisom for now. I didn't have bad morning sickness with either of my girls but I am definitely pretty queasy this time so I'm hoping the other stuff will help without the unisom. Thank you again!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:59 AM

I'm taking the milk thistle and RRL tea made from organic herbs i got from mountainroseherbs.

I need to go research GoldenRod and if it's okay to take during pregnancy in low amounts.

The tea seems to be working, along with making sure I get food every 1.5-2.5 hours. Even just nibbling on a couple oatcakes helps. Now i just need to focus on water amounts, I've been kind of lazy about that lately, heh.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Old 11-07-2007, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, Yvonne!!! Sooo wonderful to see you! I don't know much about goldenrod. What are you using it for?

MrsRockstar, I hope you get some relief. See what you like best. I think the best bets are Milk Thistle & Wild Yam Root personally.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:47 AM

How much is too much when it comes to herbs? Like the pregnancy tea - how many glasses/day is too much?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 PM

Yvonne, nice to see you again! We're in another DDC together.

Spark, I love Molly! I can't believe I haven't ever been to her store -- I bought my cloth dipes from her when she was selling out of her house -- and it's right around the corner from my house! I just can't seem to get there before or after work. Perhaps one of these days!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Oh, Yvonne!!! Sooo wonderful to see you! I don't know much about goldenrod. What are you using it for?
Hiya again! "The traditional use of goldenrod was to treat kidney stones. GrieveÍs Modern Herbal notes that that in 1788 a boy of ten, after taking the infusion for some months, passed quantities of gravel, fifteen large stones weighing up to 40 grams (1-1/4 ounce), and fifty over the size of a pea. The flavonoids and saponins in the herb help relieve inflammation throughout the urinary tract while acting as a mild diuretic." I passed several stones previous pregnancy so i thought i'd help them along any that were left after I birthed my daughter.. and I took it for several months. I have quite a few baggies of the premixed up tea i made and I'm trying to decide if i need to make new tea what what few herbs I have left or if it's okay to keep using it.. my gut says it's okay anyway.. so just gotta do some more research. I wish I had Susan Weed's book on herbs and pregnancy... heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianamy View Post
Yvonne, nice to see you again! We're in another DDC together.
Hi there again. How funny that so many of us are pregnant again and birthing the same month!

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnemlv View Post
I wish I had Susan Weed's book on herbs and pregnancy... heh.
I've got it...but I don't see any mention of goldenrod...is there another name for it used in herbal circles??

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 11-07-2007, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad9 View Post
How much is too much when it comes to herbs? Like the pregnancy tea - how many glasses/day is too much?
I'm an expert in what i know & a novice in what I don't know. i've researched out the wazoo over herbs to treat morning sickness/hyperemisis, but no clue about others. I really do not know about the contents of the Pregnancy Tea you're drinking and limits. Maybe someone else does though?

User Tag List