Ultrasound - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-06-2007, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well... happy birthday to me. Guess what I get... an ultrasound!! It's actually exactly what I was hoping for!

Because of our infertility and PCOS, my progesterone is getting checked weekly. It was really high to begin with, and is still holding strong, but the doc wants to make sure that there aren't TWO babies in there that need a little additional support. So I'm not sure if I should be worried about twins who need some more hormones or excited that I might actually get to see the baby's heartbeat!!!

Anyone had an ultrasound at 6 weeks? Anyone see the heartbeat? Anyone had suspected TWINS????

EEEEEEK!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 11-06-2007, 11:34 AM

I have PCOS also, and last time had to take clomid in order to get pregnant. (this time, not so much, though I think the metformin helped there)

My RE had me come in at 6 weeks for an u/s too for checking heart and for multiples, we didn't see anything other than a sac and where they said the baby "could" be. I was heartbroken, and then a total wreck for the next 3 weeks till I came back.

At 9 weeks we were able to see baby just fine, and I didn't have any problems, or multiples.

I just wish they had warned me it was possible not to see anything that early, could have saved me some tears! :

Good luck today, and Happy Birthday!
#3 of 13 Old 11-06-2007, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I am a little wound up over here. This was our fifth try with clomid and probably my 7th month on metformin, which I'm still taking. I also took a bunch of things to 'help' the clomid, which included extra progesterone in the second half of my cycle. So the initial numbers were sort of artificially high, apparently. They just called and said I have another check on 11/20, which is Dh's birthday! So we'll see, I guess.

Argh!!! Waiting for the hospital to call so I can get scheduled!!
#4 of 13 Old 11-06-2007, 01:28 PM

I've had two losses so I'm getting a u/s in two weeks when I'm at 7 1/2 weeks.

My hcg numbers came back, at 5w2d I was at 20,445!!! Which is actually really, really high. I'm hoping this just means twins, the other options are not that appealing.
#5 of 13 Old 11-06-2007, 01:47 PM

I too have heard that you can't see much this early on - just the sack. So, don't be too disappointed if you don't see the heartbeat. Good luck and Happy Birthday!

Blessed Mama to DD 10/4/06 and DS 7/08/08
#6 of 13 Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I'm scheduled for Friday, which will be six weeks, 1 day. The scheduler lady didn't seem to have a real firm grasp of what was happening - she asked me which trimester I was in, I said, first. She said, has it been less than 12 weeks? I said, yes. Then she told me to drink 32 oz of water 2 hours before and hold it until the test was finished.

Now, my friend Dr. Google says that a transvaginal is just about the only way to see anything at this point, and that should require an empty bladder. Will I just show up and tell them I'm six weeks and then go pee and we can go from there? Or do you think I need to call the doc? What do you guys think??

ETA: My infertility doc is an hour away, so he called the order in to my local hospital... hence some of the confusion.
#7 of 13 Old 11-06-2007, 07:47 PM

they usually tell you to come with a full bladder and they do a really quick external U/S even though they won't be able to see anything. Then they tell you to go pee and they do a transvaginal. When I was pg with twins they saw 1 sac and 1 "maybe a sac" at about six weeks. HTH.
#8 of 13 Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 PM

: ooh, twins sound exciting. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

with my first i had an u/s at 7 weeks, i think. all we could really see was a heartbeat.
#9 of 13 Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 PM

not in your DDC, but I saw a strong heartbeat at 6w4d....120 bpm, a definite embryo and a yolk sac. Babe looked like he was kicking back on a barcalounger

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#10 of 13 Old 11-07-2007, 12:48 PM

i had a vag US at 6 weeks with DS1 due to an odd AF schedule i saw a good sac and heartbeat (its not an actually heartbeat at this point it *may* be called a cardiac stem? something like that, FYI)
#11 of 13 Old 11-09-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Good news!! Just had the u/s and there is only one baby (which DH didn't actually see... he said, 'there was a big black dot. that's the baby, right?' )
Heart rate is 117 at 6w1d! The sac actually measured 6w3d so she said 7/1/08 was a better due date, but unless someone is going to telegraph that to the baby, then I don't think it matters much.

I am so relieved and happy! This is actually happening! It was such a surreal experience... and we didn't even get pictures! Afterwards I wished I'd asked so I could show DH what the actual baby looks like. Not that the tech was super helpful with pointing things out, though. If I hadn't spent the entire week googling 'six week fetal ultrasound' I don't think I would have known what we were looking at either! :
#12 of 13 Old 11-09-2007, 03:58 PM

How exciting!!
#13 of 13 Old 11-09-2007, 04:20 PM

That is so awesome! Such a great feeling to hit that first milestone of seeing the tiny heart beating! Congrats!

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page