Blood Levels - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-13-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got my blood levels back. My beta was 13,000. I'm 5.4 wks pregnant. From what I'm seeing on line "normal" is around 7,300. Is mine high or normal? I've never gotten my numbers before.

My progesterone is 18. She said I should go on supplements b/c it's low. I've never done any of this before. Experienced mamas needed.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#2 of 23 Old 11-13-2007, 05:37 PM

I'm not an expert on the hcg levels, but I am having my progesterone checked every week/2 weeks. Yours does seems low - my doc says he is looking for anything over 25 at this point. Thankfully it seems like progesterone is a pretty easy 'fix' - as part of my PCOS treatment I was taking a supplement for the last two weeks of every cycle and responded really well to it. So far, my numbers are holding on my own so I've been supplement free for the past few weeks.

Here's hoping that the progesterone bounces right back with a little extra help!
#3 of 23 Old 11-13-2007, 06:02 PM

Here is a good link someone gave me about hCG and progesterone. There are tables at the bottom. Link

At glance your hCG does look high but that could be caused by miscalculating the due date or twins. If you look at weeks 5 and 6 there is a significant difference so just being off by a couple days could really make a difference. My progesterone was 18 at 3w6d and I was told this was great. It looks like you are within the normal range. I guess progesterone should keep increasing right? So if I got mine tested again it should be higher than last time?

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#4 of 23 Old 11-13-2007, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

I picked up my script and am now in bed. It had to be inserted vaginally. I'm sure I'll pay for this (as in the house and kids will be out of control) but I just wanted to get it in. I hope it takes. I'm really nervous now.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#5 of 23 Old 11-13-2007, 08:33 PM

Ah, the lovely progesterone supplements. If you haven't already figured it out, pantyliners are a must.

I've been on it since right after ovulation twice a day. I really think they magnify your symptoms and/or create new ones.

I was also told anything over 20 was good.
#6 of 23 Old 11-13-2007, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know how long it takes for the medication to kick in? Am I making way too big a deal of this (that would be a first )

#7 of 23 Old 11-14-2007, 01:11 AM

Well, your HcG sounds sooo good! Yay! Oooh, I hope you get twins since you want them!

I've often heard that progesterone supplements can make M/S worse. Man. That's NOT what you need! I hope you don't get that side effect. Remember to go in for fluids if you need them (Zofran doesn't work well if dehydrated) & if you need that Zofran you have, taking it on a fixed schedule makes them most effective.

Ahhhh, Amy, I'm thinking about you!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#8 of 23 Old 11-14-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

I went in for another test today to see if the beta is doubling. I don't even feel sick AT ALL today. NOTHING. If I took two Zofron 12 hours apart yesterday would I still be feeling well today? I know I was able to eat and drink so maybe that helped? I'm probably grasping at straws here. I'm a real mess.

#9 of 23 Old 11-14-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worcma View Post
I was also told anything over 20 was good.
Is this for a bit later than 3w6d into the pregnancy? I ask because mine was 18 at 3w6d and my nurse, midwife and OB all said it was great and they didn't want to retest. I am assuming it should have increased by now. Should I ask to have it retested?

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#10 of 23 Old 11-14-2007, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

yes - mine was on 5wks 3 days. However, the OB had me at 6wks 6 days b/c they follow LMP instead of ovulation but I chart and know exact dates. So - while it is a bit low for 5wks 3 days it's not as low as if I really would have been 6wks 6days, KWIM? So maybe they're over compensating?

#11 of 23 Old 11-14-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad9 View Post
yes - mine was on 5wks 3 days. However, the OB had me at 6wks 6 days b/c they follow LMP instead of ovulation but I chart and know exact dates. So - while it is a bit low for 5wks 3 days it's not as low as if I really would have been 6wks 6days, KWIM? So maybe they're over compensating?
Gotcha - They are probably just trying to be proactive. I see my OB on the 27th so I will try to hold out panicking and talk to him then.

#12 of 23 Old 11-14-2007, 06:24 PM

What about using progesterone cream you can get at the health food store? I've used that to lengthen my luteal phase.

I also had really high hcg with DD, and it was nearly a year later that I figured out she was a twin and I miscarried one. They were about 8 times what was average for 5-6 weeks. It was a roller coaster ride, but she's here, and all is well.
#13 of 23 Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

My numbers are now 21000. They didn't double so who knows. The nurse had no answers for me.

#14 of 23 Old 11-15-2007, 06:35 PM

How far apart were your blood draws? 13000 to 21000 is pretty good, especially if it's closer to 48 than 72 hours. That kind of boost is a good sign. Not every pregnancy doubles exactly on schedule and yours is definitely still going up.
#15 of 23 Old 11-15-2007, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

The draws were 42 hours apart. I thought they were good too. The nurse was less than helpful.

#16 of 23 Old 11-15-2007, 07:05 PM

I think they're fine. Don't worry about what the nurse said. That's a nice healthy rate of increase.
#17 of 23 Old 11-15-2007, 07:12 PM

That sounds like a really good increase for sure! I thought that once the numbers got high, they didn't double so often?

#18 of 23 Old 11-15-2007, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
That sounds like a really good increase for sure! I thought that once the numbers got high, they didn't double so often?
Exactly! It plainly states on several websites that after 10,000 the numbers double only every 72 - 96 hours. Hello - I shouldn't have even been checked until tomorow.

Too bad I'm not a dr, LOL. I could get my degree online.

#19 of 23 Old 11-15-2007, 08:17 PM

Not that I'm an Jennifer McCarthy fan, but I consider myself having gone to the University of Google.
#20 of 23 Old 11-15-2007, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
Not that I'm an Jennifer McCarthy fan, but I consider myself having gone to the University of Google.
LOL - yes - that's me!

#21 of 23 Old 11-15-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad9 View Post
Too bad I'm not a dr, LOL. I could get my degree online.
Surely you should have your honorary degree though!!!!! You add so much wisdom everywhere here!

#22 of 23 Old 11-15-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
laughup

#23 of 23 Old 11-16-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Me too!! I rely on the Internet for so much information. I think the levels seem to have increased just fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page