What to wear during labor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is probably a silly thing to worry about it. . but I worry about it none the less! I worry about what I will wear during labor. I want to be comfortable, and my goal is to move around a lot during it. . .all fours, squatting, the big ball thing, etc. I'm worried that if I wear a night gown people will walk in and see my whoo-ha while I'm on all fours, or whatever it is that I'm doing.
Also, I plan to at least labor some in the birthing tub, probably not give birth in it, but just hang out in there during contractions. What do you wear then???
I know people will see my parts at some points throughout the day, and I know everyone says I wont care about it then. . .but I care now! So if I had something great in mind, that would ease that fear.
#2 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM

This is what I wear:

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#3 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
This is what I wear:

the whole time????
#4 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
People who are in the room while you are laboring are very very likely to see various otherwise private parts of you. To mitigate that, you do get some control over where you birth and who is there. Anyone who would freak out seeing those parts, or who you would freak out having see those parts, should be excluded.

For the birthing tub, I would go naked. Unless you are giving birth in an air-conditioned hospital, naked for the rest of the experience sounds okay to me too, but if you do wear anything, nightgown (or hospital johnny) is the way to go - getting pajama pants off at the right moment will just be annoying, plus, they'll get all sticky with various things and be uncomfortable.

Let me take a moment to sing the praises of the hospital johnny. They're big. They're comfy. They cover the necessary while allowing medical access. And the hospital has a very nearly infinite supply of them, so if the first johnny winds up coated in amniotic fluid, or urine, or poop, they just get you another one, dump the soiled one in the hospital's industrial laundry, and on you go.

You can buy special clothes to labor in, but they're spendy, and they just don't seem worth it to me. They certainly won't address the "people will walk in and see my whoo-ha" issue.
#5 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliHope View Post
the whole time????
Yeah, that's what I'm wearing right now, too. Just kidding!!!!

By the time I'm naked, I don't care whatsoever. Now, the last time my labor was so fast, my water broke when I was in my nightgown & that's what I wore pushing, too!

Are you birthing at home or birth center or hospital? I think that sometimes influences how much you want to cover. But, hopefully if you're birthing at the hospital you won't step foot in there until you care nothing about clothes... otherwise you're probably too early!

Some women really like these for birth: http://www.birthinbinsi.com/index.htm You can even finding them used on the trading post sometimes.

#6 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 01:58 PM

yeah, I just go with the hospital gown. they can be replaced whenever they get yucky.
#7 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
People who are in the room while you are laboring are very very likely to see various otherwise private parts of you. To mitigate that, you do get some control over where you birth and who is there. Anyone who would freak out seeing those parts, or who you would freak out having see those parts, should be excluded.
Well. . .besides my husband & medical professionals that excludes EVERYONE! and I don't want anyone else there during the actual pushing & delivery, but I don't think I will be able to exclude parents & inlaws from being in the waiting room and poking their heads in from time to time throughout the day. I'm shy I guess. . .there's just something about my dad seeing me naked, not to mention my inlaws! Makes me awfully squeemish. I'm even nervous about breastfeeding in front of these people. . .but I guess I will just have to get over myself!

As for where I'm doing it - it's a birthing center in a hospital. It's 40 min away from home though so I'm not sure how long my DH will let me wait at home for . I'd love to stay home as long as possible so that when I get there it's time to push and on with our lives, but this being our first I feel like dh will pack me into the car as early as I will let him.
#8 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunebugsMom View Post
yeah, I just go with the hospital gown. they can be replaced whenever they get yucky.
yeah. . but don't hospital gowns split right up the ass? That wont help with the on all fours thing. I used to sleep naked with my bare but in the air - people will start calling me crackers-in-the-air-kelli again!
#9 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
yeah. . but don't hospital gowns split right up the ass? That wont help with the on all fours thing. I used to sleep naked with my bare but in the air - people will start calling me crackers-in-the-air-kelli again!
I think people wear two - one backwards, one forwards. You know, like one put on traditionally and the other one like a robe.

#10 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
I think people wear two - one backwards, one forwards.
ahhhh well now we are starting to make sense! that could work!
#11 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 02:27 PM

Ditto the hospital gown suggestion if you'll be at a birth center. Maybe bring along your favorite fuzzy robe from home to wear when walking the halls, etc?
#12 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Well. . .besides my husband & medical professionals that excludes EVERYONE! and I don't want anyone else there during the actual pushing & delivery, but I don't think I will be able to exclude parents & inlaws from being in the waiting room and poking their heads in from time to time throughout the day. I'm shy I guess. . .there's just something about my dad seeing me naked, not to mention my inlaws! Makes me awfully squeemish. I'm even nervous about breastfeeding in front of these people. . .but I guess I will just have to get over myself!
I am as big a fan of getting over yourself as can be found, but labor's not the time to have to get over yourself. It's *your* labor. You need to be comfortable. That's the really important thing.

I had no parents and in-laws in the waiting room because we didn't call anyone until the baby was actually born, and I was stitched up, and we had had a few minutes to hold the baby. If you don't want these people in the delivery room, keep in mind that failing to inform them that *you're* in the delivery room is a very effective way to arrange that.

If you do want to tell them you've gone to the hospital, they still don't necessarily get to poke their heads into the delivery room. The hospital I delivered at discussed with my husband and I what we wanted in terms of visitors. What we wanted was "none", and that worked fine, but the hospital was quite capable of keeping visitors out of the room - no "poking their heads in". The waiting room was pretty distinctly separated from the labor and delivery rooms, and access to the L&D floor was pretty tightly controlled.

Also, you know how when you go to the doctor's office, in the exam room, there's a curtain right by the door? And when they ask you to get undressed, they then leave, and draw the curtain? Then, when they come back in, they knock on the door, come into the curtained space, and close the door before pulling the curtain back. The L&D rooms in the hospital have that same setup, so that patient privacy won't be violated every time anyone opens the door.

Discuss this stuff with your care provider (and tour the place you plan to birth, and ask questions), but if there are non-medical personnel you don't want to see you naked, I am highly certain that it can be arranged, even if you decide to labor in the altogether.
#13 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Not all of them! The hospital gowns I've most recently encountered were wrap-around dealios with ties on the inside left and the right shoulder.
#14 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 02:42 PM

I am going to wear a black nursing sleep bra from Motherhood on top. That I know for sure. Last time, I wore the hospital johnie. I labored and pushed on my hands and knees for a long time. I got to be honest, my modesty went out the window. I'm hoping to labor more at home this time, so I'll probably wear cozy pjs or something. I'm also going to buy a really pretty head scarf to wear around my hair. Honestly, when I look back at the pictures of me right after I gave birth, I shudder in horror. Granted a 20 hour labor with 5 hours of pushing isn't going to make anyone a beauty queen, but Yikes...
I'm also going to treat myself to a nice "post birth" lounge outfit to wear - they wouldn't let me shower last time for a few hours since I ended up with an epidural, but this time I'm hoping to go natural.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#15 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 02:54 PM

I had this beloved old stretch-out soft T-shirt that had grown some enormous holes (in modest places) over the 15 years I wore it. I decided that labor would be its farewell number - but then my labor went so well that I decided it was a lucky shirt and stuck it back in my maternity bag for next time.

As for modesty, I ended up in bed mostly, despite my intentions, so I also had the sheet up when I wanted.
#16 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 03:43 PM

I labored at home in the tub for a good long time, so when it was time to go to the hospital, I just slipped on a shirt and skirt (nothing else ). My dh said that he knew it was serious when I got to the hospital, stopped in the middle of the L&D room, door wide open, dropped my clothes, nad put on the hospital gown. The gown was nice, cause no matter how I was sitting or laying or whatever, I could make it not bunch up all around me (cause of that big old vent--LOL).
#17 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 04:06 PM

last time i was in labor i just wore my regular clothes until i felt like getting in the water (about 20 minutes or so before ds was born) and then i was naked, being in the bathtub and all.

i had to keep my regular clothes on, though, cause we went for a walk outside.
#18 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS was born in a hospital. I started off with a maternity tank top and a hospital gown tied around my waist. Once I hit transition I tossed the gown (I was in and out of the shower or sitting on the birth ball) and hiked up the tank top, I didn't want anything touching me.

During DD's homebirth (all 2 hours of it ) I took off my nightgown as I was coming downstairs right after I woke up in labor, about 20 minutes before transition. I didn't put anything back on until she was a few hours old, though the warm blankets felt wonderful when I had the shakes after she was born.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#19 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 04:37 PM

Kelli-
Are you sure you want your family in the waiting room? For me personally, just knowing they are right there would make me uncomfortable and be too much pressure. My SIL had her parents in the waiting room and they came into her room when she was pushing and she had to yell at them to get out. She felt a lot of guilt about that. Labor doesn't seem like the best place for guilt.

We just called people after the baby was born. I know most parents would worry and it might help them not to have to know every detail of your labor.

Remember you are in charge of your labor and delivery. To me having family members in the hospital during the labor seems totally inappropriate. You do have a choice about this. Maybe you will want to tell them you are in the hospital after the baby is born and not before?

Also, with breastfeeding it helped me to have some privacy with my baby the first day. My family came to the hospital about 8 hours after the baby was born and I felt like I needed more time with my baby breastfeeding without an audience. I know some people who's breastfeeding might have been hindered by too many visitors at the beginning.

I was in a hospital when I gave birth and I wore a mu mu with nothing under it to the hospital and as soon as I got there I took off my dress because I couldn't stand the feeling of anything next to my skin.
I really could care less at that point who saw me naked. Although, I never would have even considered having family members peeking at me. That sounds so awful to me.

I hope you find a nice outfit to wear, maybe a tanktop and long skirt?

Lorette
#20 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 04:50 PM

You sooooo won't care once you're in active labor . Except the "who" might matter, as I seriously think I went into labor at 37 weeks last time because I didn't want mother mother around and she was moving to our area 3 days later.
I personally have always given birth in the same shirt, which I have since dubbed my "lucky shirt". It's an old ratty t-shirt from the first print run of my husband's game store.
I wore underwear for a while with #3 until I really got uncomfortable near the end.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#21 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 04:54 PM

I've been thinking about this, but just cause I saw a video with a momma wearing a cute little skirt that tied at the sides -- maybe it was a swimsuit cover, cause it matched her bra/top.

But I thought that was just great -- it was long enough to keep parts covered and short enough to not be in the way for labor -- I almost said it was long enough to be modest, then realized it was pretty short, but at least she looked covered all the time.

Being that it'll be July and I'm planning on hot and probably miserable, I'll be managing with the bare minimum of coverage.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#22 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 06:01 PM

I wore a pair of old sweats and a sportsbra. I didn't have internals and my delivery was low-risk, so it wasn't an issue of the pants getting in the way. When I felt pushy, I ripped them off. I didn't care at that point.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#23 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 06:27 PM

My last labor lasted well over 5 days, so obviously what I was wearing depended on the time we're referring to, but at the end, I was in a big ol' T-shirt and that was it. Now, with baby #4, at the birth center, I wore a maternity nightgown that had a robe, which I put on whenever I got chilled. I was in the birthing tub when I went into transition, and suddenly I was ready to pick people up and toss them out of my way to get out of the water - it was NOT where I wanted to be. So I birthed that time totally nekkid, but I put a short nursing top on afterwards.

The other three times I did traditional hospital births.

Basically I don't make a plan as to what to wear. I just go with whatever is laying on my skin most comfortably in the very last weeks.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#24 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 06:33 PM

Lots of people say you won't care if you're naked when you're in active labor--well, I cared! Last time it was a source of a lot of discomfort to me. I do not like anyone except my husband to see me naked, but since I don't want to UC, I had to come to terms with it.

But I agree with the PP who likes the hospital gown--at least at the place I had my daughter, it's quite comfy (not paper--it's cloth) and it's not your laundry, which is cool when you go home and just leave it behind instead of having to wash something. And the hospital I used had gowns that were genuinely easy-access for nursing, far more so than any gown I might have bought. I wore them the whole two days we were there and I didn't feel overly exposed at all except when I was actually in labor and they were yanking it up to look anyway.

Although on the second day I did have a nurse who insisted on checking for HERSELF to confirm that I did not have hemorrhoids. I guess home birth gets you out of that one.
#25 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 07:02 PM

i wore hospital gowns both times. i wore them backwards, so they opened in the front. i can't remember if i took it off in the last moments with dd or not. i think i did after my water broke and it got wet. lol she was born a few minutes later, so i was nakey right before and after she was born. either way, they are super easy to bf in with them opened in front. i felt it was important to get that skin to skin in the first moments and if i had clothes or a t shirt on i felt like i would miss that.

i wasn't up and about at all with her labor and birth though. it was the middle of the night/early morning and i was so cold i spent the whole time under 5 blankets. lol nobody saw anything but my eyes till the end. hehehe then i must have shocked them with jumping up and taking off my gown and giving birth squatting. lol

if i'm at home this time i will probably just be naked, depending on the weather. if i'm in the hospital again, just the gown for as long as i need it. i really want to spend a lot of time in the water though. i've never had a chance to labor in the water and i really think i would love that. so i'll be naked if i'm in a tub.

we didn't have any family anywhere near the delivery room. we called them after the kids were born, and they came several hours later, which was nice. i don't know if i would be comfortable with a bunch of people comming in and out at all.

you'll have to check with the hospital too, sometimes they have a two person(or whatever) limit as to who can be with you during labor. the rest are not even allowed into the l&d department.
#26 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 PM

skirt and nursing tank, or nothing

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#27 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 07:20 PM

Have you seen the labor skirt?
http://www.babybellyboutique.com/pro...rod=birth00021

actually here is a better link:
http://www.birthinbinsi.com/Products.htm
#28 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 08:05 PM

I felt the same way during all 3 pregnancies.
For #1 (in hospital) i wanted to take things off, hated the hospital johnny, but couldn't because i'm too modest and hospitals are in hospitable to immodesty.

#2 i wore a spaghetti strap tank at home because of the midwife, and got way too hot.

#3, FINALLY! I uc'd just me and DH, and even though I had planned on wearing a swimsuit cover, I wound up wearing just the birthday suit and it was the most comfortable, fastest, most uninhibited birth I could have imagined. Perfect. I could focus on having a baby instead of "modesty".

I could not imagine having people around while I am in labor. I don't tell anyone except DH what is happening until it is over and i have had at least 30 minutes of baby time. Unless they just happen to actually walk in and can tell something is up. with #3 i was living at my mom's house and still managed to keep the secret even though her bedroom was right above the one i delivered in. She never even woke up!
#29 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 08:54 PM

Modesty, what modesty? I couldn't have cared less! When I'm really in labor I'm focused and in another place. They could have sold tickets to the event and I would hardly notice. My previous were hospital deliveries with the flappy gowns and they bugged me.

This time naked just seems easier, but will depend on how I'm feeling or if I'm in the water. I also get very uncomfortable with things touching me late in labor.

With DD2 they would not allow any visitors, just DH, as soon as the pushing phase was starting. I didn't realize they refused DD1 and MIL entry until later.
#30 of 41 Old 12-04-2007, 01:10 AM

I was naked. And I'm really shy. Cloths touching me was just too much.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page