11 weeks today and couldn't hear heartbeat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
elf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has this happened to anyone?? We have ultrasound pictures from 9 weeks and we saw the heart beat on the ultrasound twice now--7 and 9 weeks and it was normal then. Today was the first day my DH was going to hear it and the doctor looked for what seemed like an eternity and nothing. I am going back in tomorrow morning---I am nervous!
#2 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 02:10 PM

thinking good thoughts for you
#3 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 02:36 PM

elf - Was the doctor doing an u/s this time again or using doppler?

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#4 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 02:38 PM

I'm confused, did you see it at 7 and 9 week on the u/s and now are using a doppler to hear it. The doppler sometimes takes till 12-13 to pick it up depending on where the baby is. I wouldn't worry if this is a doppler were talking about.
#5 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 PM

We heard DD's heartbeat w/ the doppler at 10 weeks, and then when I went back at 14 we couldn't find it. I had a quick u/s and everything was fine, but I definitely got nervous. I hope everything is okay for you.
#6 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 03:07 PM

Sending you ((HUGS)) and good thoughts! I'm sure the little elf is just fine!
#7 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 03:15 PM

I will be 11 weeks on Wednesday and that is when we are supposed to hear the heartbeat. So I will let you know if it worked for us or not.

But I have heard that they don't always find the HB on the first try with the doppler, may take another week or so.

Hope you hear some good news soon.
#8 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM

Did they try with a doppler this time or was it another ultrasound? It can be early for a doppler.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#9 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinespurlock View Post
I'm confused, did you see it at 7 and 9 week on the u/s and now are using a doppler to hear it. The doppler sometimes takes till 12-13 to pick it up depending on where the baby is. I wouldn't worry if this is a doppler were talking about.
#10 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 03:35 PM

Yeah I always thought you could hear it with a doppler at 12 weeks. ETA: I meant 12 weeks at the earliest!!!

I bet everything is fine mama
#11 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 04:53 PM

I hope everything is ok! I was once hospitalized at 12 weeks (non-pregnancy related illness) and the nurses consistently had trouble finding my daughter's heartbeat. Then I found out that the nurses who HAD found the heartbeat had been listening to MINE. Anyway, everything turned out fine, it was just a matter of the nurses not being very good at their job.

Michelle, Christian , sahm, homeschooling , breastfeeding , no vax, blogging , photographer mom with ADD and Social Anxiety Disorder Mom to 4 boys, 3 girls.
#12 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
elf

Thank you everyone for the hugs and support. This was the first time they tried to use the doppler so I am hoping that it is just a little early to hear mine. The doctor said she heard my fluid sloshing around but that was it. This is a long 24 hours to wait. I'll let you guys know tomorrow.
#13 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 05:46 PM

I really wouldn't worry. When I was pg with ds, the first time they tried to find the hb with a doppler was 12 1/2 weeks. They couldn't find it. I totally freaked, but luckily there was an u/s machine in the next room.
They did an u/s and the baby was fine!
This happens all the time.
Try not to worry. I really wish they wouldn't try to find a hb until they are more likely to find one. This scares women needlessly all the time.
Lorette
p.s. I am waiting until at least 14 weeks before I let them use a doppler on me.
#14 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Thank you everyone for the hugs and support. This was the first time they tried to use the doppler so I am hoping that it is just a little early to hear mine. The doctor said she heard my fluid sloshing around but that was it. This is a long 24 hours to wait. I'll let you guys know tomorrow.
I second what everyone else is saying about dopplers. They just aren't as good at finding the hb in the early stages. I read that they aren't good to find the hb until after the 1st tri. I am sure everything will be fine. Keep us posted!

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#15 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 06:02 PM

I am so sorry, but I think you don't have anything to worry about....I am going tomorrow (I will be 10weeks 5days) and my m/w is going to try and find the h/b with a doppler. The other m/w said she doesn't even try with the doppler till 14 weeks because otherwise she gets to many worried mommas!

....but I know it is a little early for the doppler and I am prepared to not hear anything.

Please let us know how you are tomorrow.
#16 of 24 Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 PM

I have a bit extra baby fat between me and the baby, so I am sure they will not be able to hear mine with a dopler so soon.

You're in my thoughts. Keep us posted.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#17 of 24 Old 12-11-2007, 02:48 AM

The exact same thing has happened to me, we saw the heartbeat in the ultrasound at around 8 or 9 weeks, and at 11 weeks the doppler didn't pick up the heartbeat. Honestly, I'm not concerned. My midwife said that the size of my uterus looked fine, and that they'll try the doppler again next visit. If they can't find it at 13 or 14 weeks either I imagine I'll have another ultrasound.
#18 of 24 Old 12-11-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Then I found out that the nurses who HAD found the heartbeat had been listening to MINE. Anyway, everything turned out fine, it was just a matter of the nurses not being very good at their job.
How funny - in a strange way. Although, I will say that if a nurse doesn't work in OB, those skills get lost pretty quick. They should have known tho that the HB was too slow! If they really thought that the rate was as low as a adult, they should have been freaking.

Anyhow...sending that everything is well. It's actually hard to pick up a FHB with a doppler in the early weeks...think about how small that heart is, and how big the uterus/andomen is compared to it.
#19 of 24 Old 12-11-2007, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
elf

We heard the heartbeat today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yesterday they couldn't find it after looking every where==today they put the doppler on and it was right there!!!!!!

Thanks for all the support-it really meant a lot.
#20 of 24 Old 12-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
We heard the heartbeat today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yesterday they couldn't find it after looking every where==today they put the doppler on and it was right there!!!!!!

Elf - Glad to hear the great news! yay!

#21 of 24 Old 12-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
#22 of 24 Old 12-11-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:

WOOHOOOOO!!!
#23 of 24 Old 12-11-2007, 03:59 PM

I'm so glad everything is fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioleabha View Post
Then I found out that the nurses who HAD found the heartbeat had been listening to MINE. Anyway, everything turned out fine, it was just a matter of the nurses not being very good at their job.
DUH!! I was going to say the same thing- weren't they worried when the heartbeat was so slow?? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorette View Post
I really wish they wouldn't try to find a hb until they are more likely to find one. This scares women needlessly all the time.
Lorette
:
#24 of 24 Old 12-11-2007, 08:07 PM

:

Mother to two great kids. &

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page