Anyone NOT taking prenatals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone else is not taking them? I started but they are making me really sick, it happened with my last pregnancy to but not this bad. I hope to start taking them when I feel better or at least at the end of the first trimester.
Is is really bad to not take them?
I already have a hard time holding anything down and adding these vitamins is making me
#2 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 01:42 AM

I switched to chewable Centrum until the m/s lets up. And those I'd say I get about 2 days out of 3.
#3 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 02:00 AM

I did not take them with my last pregnancy. They made me so so sick so I stopped taking them by 7 weeks in, I tried when my m/s ended but they made me sick again. Instead I was very focused on my diet make sure I got enough iron and folate from foods. SHe was born perfect and healthy.

Brandy Single momma to A(11), C(10), H(6) and I(2)
:
#4 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 07:19 AM

I frequently forget to take mine, even though they don't even make me sick.
Most likely your baby will be fine even if you have trouble taking the prenatal vitamins. Maybe you can find a chewable one like somebody already mentioned, or you can pay more attention to your diet.
Regardless, I hope the morning sickness won't last much longer for you!
Ina

Mom of 4
#5 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 07:31 AM

Have you tried taking them at supper or before bed? I find they make me feel ill if I take them in the morning but do much better if I take them late in the day.
#6 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 08:51 AM

I had one doctor, whom I respect, tell me that if I couldn't keep prenatals down, to at least take folate every day.. and otherwise do my best to eat well rounded food groups every week.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#7 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 09:27 AM

No vitamins at all here sick m/s started. Not even children's chewables work this time.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#8 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 10:01 AM

I take a multi-vitamin when I remember, which is usually 3-4 times a week. They don't make me sick, I just feel like I eat a well rounded diet and am not convinced that prenatals or multi-vitamins are absolutly nessisary.

Sarah
#9 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 10:40 AM

I stopped taking mine. I tried for a while after the m/s hit but I would always forget in the morning and I always feel the worst at dinnertime and can't even contemplate taking it then. My midwife wanted to make sure I had taken them before conceiving (which I had) and told me it was fine to not take them right now.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#10 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 11:44 AM

I HATE them! I am taking a liquid whole foods suppliment that tastes fine AND I absorb it! Who knew?

Jennie: SAHM to 3, student, and wife of almost 9 years.
Emily 7.5 Taylor 5 Logan 7.9.08 signcirc1.gif
mdcblog5.gif It's a collection of recipe's and tips on how and why to make real food plus some other good stuff!
http://purehomemaking.com/
#11 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much!
I have tried taking them at night before bed but find myself waking with an overwhelming feeling to throw up so I stopped doing that to.
I get some down occasionally but hate feeling sick so I am going to do the best that I can until I start feeling better..
I am going to try and eat better but I can't get much down but bread and butter and today I actually ate cereal!
I thought the m/s was ending about a week ago b/c I was feeling so much better, but it came back
Thanks for all the replies you all made me feel so much better!
#12 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 02:15 PM

I was, but had to stop for about a week. I started taking B6 a few days ago and that seems to be helping with ms. I have just started taking them again.

Mother to two great kids. &
#13 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 02:39 PM

With my first 2, I wasn't able to keep them down. They were prescription or regular otc prenatals. With my 3rd, I had a midwife who recommended prenatals from the health food store. THey are much easier to digest. THey're actually better b/c they forms of the vitamins and minerals are more easily asbsorbed by the body. AND they didn't make me sick like regular prenatals! I took Nature's Plus Ultra Prenatals, and I'm taking them again this time. I have really really bad m/s, but I don't think I'm worse when I take them. I have also heard Rainbow Light prenatals are good.
#14 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 02:59 PM

i was just researching this actually. i take them, but i was under the impression it would be really hard for me to get all the folic acid i need every day. i have no idea why i thought that. i eat pretty healthy, but for some reason, i thought i could not get folic acid. so anyways, it is actually pretty easy to get it. it's in sunflower seeds, lentils, bananas, avocados and probably a jillion other things i eat. so i am not going to sweat the whole prenatal thing anymore. i will probably still take them, but not stress about them like i normally do.
#15 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniepaige View Post
I HATE them! I am taking a liquid whole foods suppliment that tastes fine AND I absorb it! Who knew?
Which one do you take? I used to take SeaSilver, and it really helped me. It tasted okay, I actually got to like it after awhile. Unlike Floradix, which I could simply never acclimate to.

My old MW doesn't sell SeaSilver anymore, and so I either have to find someplace that does or get my new MW to recommend something. I go on a tour of the new birth center tonight, so maybe I can ask then. My first actual appointment isn't until friday...

Right now I don't even take a multi. I'm not really barfy a lot, but nauseated most of the time. That finally seems to be slacking off a little, only bothering me in the afternoons, which is more like my pregnancies usually are (this one has been worse, worse, worse than all the others) but the fatigue is still horribly bad. I HAVE been taking an iron supplement, simply because I was already anemic and the pregnancy won't be helping that much. I'd hoped the iron would help the fatigue, but it has not.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#16 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 11:29 PM

I don't take any, not planning to. I eat really healthy, normally. And, now, I'm on a super healthy kick. I read somewhere that what the mom eats while pregnant and while breastfeeding can actually affect what foods the child will enjoy. So, I'm packing in the veggies and whole grains, lol. Anyway, I don't worry about it. Prenatals are a fairly recent invention in the grand scheme of births.
#17 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 11:34 PM

I try to take my Rainbow Lights, but well, with the nausea, it doesn't happen every day. I probably haven't taken one in 3 weeks. I'll start again if I feel better in another week or two.
#18 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingSerenity View Post
Which one do you take? I used to take SeaSilver, and it really helped me. It tasted okay, I actually got to like it after awhile. Unlike Floradix, which I could simply never acclimate to.

My old MW doesn't sell SeaSilver anymore, and so I either have to find someplace that does or get my new MW to recommend something. I go on a tour of the new birth center tonight, so maybe I can ask then. My first actual appointment isn't until friday...

Right now I don't even take a multi. I'm not really barfy a lot, but nauseated most of the time. That finally seems to be slacking off a little, only bothering me in the afternoons, which is more like my pregnancies usually are (this one has been worse, worse, worse than all the others) but the fatigue is still horribly bad. I HAVE been taking an iron supplement, simply because I was already anemic and the pregnancy won't be helping that much. I'd hoped the iron would help the fatigue, but it has not.

I take Body Balance. Made my Life Force International. It's funny you said Sea Silver, the guy who formulated it actually used to work for LFI and ripped off the formula!
It is prob very close to what this stuff is. It is made of sea vegetables and aloe vera juice. they sweeten it with black cherry and honey so it tastes good. Really, if you compare prices to this vs. any good quality prenatal they are about the same only you digest 99% of it cause it's a liquid.
I just hate trying to swallow those big pills and the after taste gets me. Plus I just end up peeing it out. I even tried some stuff from Whole Foods and it was almost the same.
But really though, like one other poster said a healthy rich diet is really good too. Oh and I can contest to the eating better and kids liking/not liking. With my first I ate like crap and she doesn't like veggies at all and with my second I ate much better and veggies are her fav. food!

mdcblog5.gif It's a collection of recipe's and tips on how and why to make real food plus some other good stuff!
#19 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 02:31 PM

I haven't taken them in several years. I did with my first, but they made me sick. Then I learned how much better and healthier it is to get vitamins from your food than from supplements, and I've just been more careful about what I eat.

Michelle, Christian , sahm, homeschooling , breastfeeding , no vax, blogging , photographer mom with ADD and Social Anxiety Disorder Mom to 4 boys, 3 girls.
#20 of 23 Old 12-20-2007, 02:11 AM

I've never been able to take them. They made me sick with my first 2. I couldn't take them ever. Mornings, afternoons, evenings...nope. This time, they don't make me sick. I can take them at night with no problems. However, I'm not eating a whole lot and can't get down enough water, so they make me really constipated. If I don't take them, I feel a whole lot better.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#21 of 23 Old 12-20-2007, 02:31 AM

I haven't taken a multi-vitamin in years. I'm highly allergic to soy, and most natural vitamin E is derived from soy. Now for some reason I tend to react from all vitamin E, natural or not. My OB said it was perfectly fine not to take one. There is no evidence that a prenatal vitamin changes or prevents anything in the USA. We all eat so well anyways. I do take extra calcium, and follic acid everyday. And an occasional iron supplement if I've been lacking iron in my diet that week.

Quote:
It is made of sea vegetables and aloe vera juice.
Be careful of the aloe vera juice! I've heard that Pregnant women or those breast-feeding should avoid it because the juice can cause uterine contractions. While BF the juice could also be passed onto the child, whose digestive system might not handle it well. My OB instructed me to stop taking it, so I did. I'm not sure how strong the contractions could get, or if it could cause a miscarriage or not.

Jaime ~ married to Chad, mommie to Elaine shamrocksmile.gif 03/17/08, 3rdtri.gif due 02/14/11 joy.gifHappy Valentines Day!

#22 of 23 Old 12-20-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayell79 View Post
I haven't taken a multi-vitamin in years. I'm highly allergic to soy, and most natural vitamin E is derived from soy. Now for some reason I tend to react from all vitamin E, natural or not. My OB said it was perfectly fine not to take one. There is no evidence that a prenatal vitamin changes or prevents anything in the USA. We all eat so well anyways. I do take extra calcium, and follic acid everyday. And an occasional iron supplement if I've been lacking iron in my diet that week.

Be careful of the aloe vera juice! I've heard that Pregnant women or those breast-feeding should avoid it because the juice can cause uterine contractions. While BF the juice could also be passed onto the child, whose digestive system might not handle it well. My OB instructed me to stop taking it, so I did. I'm not sure how strong the contractions could get, or if it could cause a miscarriage or not.

That is very interesting. I have never heard that before. I know several people that have taken it while pregnant and I took it myself while breastfeeding. Aloe Vera is supposed to be really good for you! I never heard that before, I will have to look into it.

#23 of 23 Old 12-20-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
With my first I ate like crap and she doesn't like veggies at all and with my second I ate much better and veggies are her fav. food!
True! With my first three, I was very young, very mainstream, and ate whatever I wanted. I don't gain much weight as it is, so I believed as long as I took the horse pills the OB prescribed, it didn't matter what I ate. My oldest three (who live with their dad and would probably riot if I tried to feed them the way I eat now) love fast-food, pizza, cake, etc. Veggies, to them, come out of a can ONLY (picture my ex-DH saying, "They sell fresh green beans? Where? How do you even cook them??") or are frozen, like with broccoli. They're doing okay, I guess, but they'd be learning the healthier way if they were with me now.

With the younger two is when I started with the AP lifestyle and crunchier attitudes. With #4, I ate better but still not as many veggies and fruits as I should've. He's picky now, hard to get him to eat vegetables, though he will if bribed with an after-dinner treat. (NOT cakes, or pies or cookies... more like a graham cracker or yogurt, something he likes... ) #5 though, LOVES her veggies and fresh foods... she will choose an apple over a graham cracker, even. She usually wants to eat tomatoes too, whenever I am chopping or slicing them, and gnaws on celery, carrots, mushrooms, and every fresh fruit I can find.

Of course, all of them will love french fries, then, if this holds true. I've always had my weakness in that area, especially when pg!!!

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page