Progesterone question.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-19-2007, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got off the phone with my midwife and she said that my progesterone levels are about 13.4 and they need to be around 18-20. She prescribed me some progesterone...I have no idea about this stuff. Should I take it...? Is it safe...for me? For the baby?

Any other ladies have experience with this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 09:26 PM

It is very common, very well tolerated, and widely seen as the best (sometimes only) step towards preventing miscarriage. Your numbers seem legitimately low and I wouldn't hesitate at all. I took a progesterone supplement as part of our infertilty treatment but my levels held on their own once I got pregnant so I didn't need it anymore.

I hope that helps - just my opinion. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:26 PM

I agree--I'd do it.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:31 PM

I am on it right now. Prometrium is the one they prescribed me. I was also on it with my little boy, and he is absolute perfection. Be careful though when you take it. I get really dizzy sometimes after I take it. Are you on once a day or twice?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:44 PM

I'm taking it this time. My levels were also low. It sounded like a good idea to me.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 12-20-2007, 03:04 AM

I've been on every version of progestrone I know of, and I'm finally almost weaned off. 3+ years of TTC with presistently low progesterone, even when i finally got pregnant AND was on progesterone 3X day I still only had levels of 5.4-my doses were doubled.
I've never had any problems/reactions to an of the versions BUT I was only on the progestrone pills at night. I can't imagine taking them during the day-for me they worked just like the lunesta I was prescribed for chronic insomnia- I was alseep 15 min after taking them.

I was also on vaginal suppositories for awhile- and if your doc goes this route, you can request natural progesterone- The women's health pharmacy in wisconsin compounds and rush ships it-WAYY fewer side effects than synthetic.

There are also natural progesterone creams, but I think they are harder to "measure" in terms of effectiveness.

Progesterone shots were HELL ON EARTH for me. I am no-vax and petrified of needles. These are HUGE needles.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:35 AM

Just finished my progesterone last night. YAY!

I would take it. My BF had mulitple late m/cs due to plummenting progesterone. I got PG the cycle I started.

I was on prometrium, 2x daily, vaginally. Taking it vaginally is supposed to ease some of the symptoms. Many people on the fert. boards take it this way.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Im on 100mg of prometrium at night. I took my first last night and didnt have any bizarre symptoms.

Okay, now I'm pacicky...Is there a chance I'll miscarry? Are those levels freakishly low?? Im supposed to go have blood drawn again tomorrow...

We heard the heartbeat on Tuesday and she (my mw) said my hcg was great. I was spotting a bit and she said that the low progesterone could be to blame for that. She did, however take my blood right when I was supposed to be having a menstral cycle...which I think is the reason why I was spotting. I heard my little baby's heartbeat...I can't miscarry right???

Im nervous now...I hope everything goes allright.

thanks everyone for the response!!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:42 PM

Have any of you had the experience that your morning sickness got a bit better after you started the progesterone? I would have thought it would get worse? Mine seems better though and so I'm horrifically worried that something is really wrong. Like the baby is dead and I just haven't started to miscarry it. I can't exactly go to my doctor and say that I'm worried because I don't feel as crappy though. She'd probably think I'm a mad woman. Anyone have similar experiences?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Could you be further along than you thought?? Perhaps your morning sickness is subsiding and it just so happened to coencide with the time you went on progesterone supplements...

I think if you called your doctor and asked to have your levels checked...that wouldnt be abnormal...especially considering you miscarried once before.

Im a first time mom...but it seems perfectly normal to me that you share all of your fears and concerns with your doctor. It is there job to make sure you are well and healthy...

I would call her and do anything neccessary to put your mind at ease.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
We heard the heartbeat on Tuesday and she (my mw) said my hcg was great. I was spotting a bit and she said that the low progesterone could be to blame for that. She did, however take my blood right when I was supposed to be having a menstral cycle...which I think is the reason why I was spotting. I heard my little baby's heartbeat...I can't miscarry right???
I would not worry about miscarrying just because your levels are low...you have heard the heartbeat and know that the baby is okay, and now you are supplementing your levels to make sure that everything stays that way. I don't think the spotting has anything to do with your cycle - the mw's explanation with the low progesterone seems more likely. So there was a slight issue, you're fixing it, and all should be well.

Easier said than done, I know.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:54 PM

I was on them with my last pregnancy and my numbers were higher than yours. I'd take them to be safe.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:16 AM

Has anyone heard of taking natural progesterone during the middle of the pregnancy? I never had a miscarriage but I was diagnosed with uterine irritability w/ my first pregnancy and then my son was born almost a month early. Now I'm 6 month pg and had to go in and they told me the same thing again. So logically, Im thinking that I could deliver early--or even earlier--this time around. I wanted to supplement w/ natural progesterone to carry to full term. ??
Old 12-21-2007, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousk View Post
I would not worry about miscarrying just because your levels are low...you have heard the heartbeat and know that the baby is okay, and now you are supplementing your levels to make sure that everything stays that way. I don't think the spotting has anything to do with your cycle - the mw's explanation with the low progesterone seems more likely. So there was a slight issue, you're fixing it, and all should be well.

Easier said than done, I know.
Yes-I totally understnd how you are nervous, but be aware, the progesterone will help quickly-Here's how it worked for me:
My levels:
1st test: 5.4
2nd test (3 days later)18.9
3rd test-1 week after 2nd test 39.8

Now that my placenta is making enough everything seems to be going smoothly. I have to say that I've had a fairly easy time of it r.e. morning sickness, no puking, just nausea and CRAVINGS/aversions. So, it's possible that the progesterone going up does ease it a bit-I haven't noticed any changes since weaning from Progesterone though.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamimapster View Post
Yes-I totally understnd how you are nervous, but be aware, the progesterone will help quickly-Here's how it worked for me:
My levels:
1st test: 5.4
2nd test (3 days later)18.9
3rd test-1 week after 2nd test 39.8

Now that my placenta is making enough everything seems to be going smoothly. I have to say that I've had a fairly easy time of it r.e. morning sickness, no puking, just nausea and CRAVINGS/aversions. So, it's possible that the progesterone going up does ease it a bit-I haven't noticed any changes since weaning from Progesterone though.
I know this is an old thread, but I would like to add my experience. I was spotting for three weeks straight through eight weeks despite two ultrasounds that said baby/uterine condition was OK. Second progesterone test was low (13.4) and I was put on progesterone suppositories. I stopped bleeding immediately and m/s decreased significantly. I definitely recommend taking it.

User Tag List