Mothering Forum banner

exercise?

811 views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Spark 
#1 ·
What are you doing? Prior to pregnancy I took kickboxing and weight training classes. I also kicksledded often and was otherwise very active with my boys.

I am still kicksledding and will start lap swimming in a week or two. I'd like to incorporate a light dumbell routine in. I also am doing a pregnancy video that I got for holiday.

Does anyone have any advice for a dumbell workout or an exercise ball routine specific to pregnancy?

#2 ·
for the most part, you can keep doing what you were doing before.

I'd suggest checking out the library for some books for new routine ideas -- there are strength training pregnancy books along with lots of other pregnancy and exercise books - the pregnancy/fitness books are pretty good at pointing out which exercises you should skip and I'm sure a google search would do that same, though I can imagine the internet results being more restrictive than need be.

I'd actually suggest the book Strength Training for Women, for free weights -- it's not pregnancy focused and there is no reason to have a "pregnancy focused" workout, and it's a great resource for using free weights and an exercise ball.

I've not changed any of my exercise routines, other than actually adding to it. I do weight lighting (on machines at the gym) 3 days a week, cardio work outs 5 days a week which includes cardio machines, dance classes, and water fitness classes. I'm working on getting my yoga back on at home as well -- been seriously missing it since moving to a new area.

Oh yeah -- another book I liked was the Active Woman's Guide to Pregnancy -- good for active women to gauge if or how they should continue their activities and how to modify if needed.

And I'm a big yoga advocate and pregnancy is a great time to get started because of how much it helps with pregnancy and later with labor.

#4 ·
:

Hahahaha!!!

What is this exercise you speak of?

I have an elliptical sitting in my garage that was my christmas present LAST year. Good times. I also run after a 15 month old which is like walking 5 miles a day....

#6 ·
I'm a runner, so I just run. Pretty much as usual. Though, I've cut back from everyday to 5 times per week. I'm also thinking of signing up for a yoga class. Those look like they'd be fun, relaxing, and good for flexibility.

I rarely ever do free weights. I do push ups, squats, etc. Oh, I stopped doing crunches due to the pregnancy. (No scientific reason ... just felt like I was squishing the babe, which for all I know may very well be true).

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
I've been too sick, but I'm going to break my prenatal yoga dvd back out (I forgot I had it and didn't give it away! Amazing!) and I'm planning on walking a lot. My next door neighbor has a treadmill, and I think I'll ask to use it until spring.
Ooh what's the name of your prenatal yoga DVD? I haven't been able to do *anything* due to exhaustion and nausea, but I'm feeling better and maybe yoga is just the thing to get me back into shape.

#10 ·
Normally I do quite a bit, but I've been too sick. I signed up for water aerobics and prenatal aerobics at the Y once again but I only made it to 2 classes before the sickness hit. Maybe with the Zofran by next month I'll be able to do the prenatal aerobics class again; I know the instructor well and she won't think I'm wacko if I suddenly lay down in the middle of class!

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfasianmomma View Post
Ooh what's the name of your prenatal yoga DVD? I haven't been able to do *anything* due to exhaustion and nausea, but I'm feeling better and maybe yoga is just the thing to get me back into shape.
It's by Gaiam. It's pretty good. If you do everything, it's pretty hard. I usually only do part. lol

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linzie2 View Post
What is kicksledding?
It is a wooden sled with runners that are about 6ft long. One stands on the runners and kicks with alternating legs to go. It is fun and great exercise. My boys have their own too and we do a 2 mile loop together.
Here is what they look like:
http://www.esla.fi/eng/picture_store.html

The DVD I have is Complete Pregnancy Fitness with Erin O"Brien. It is fairly easy for me, but I still like it. It involves plenty of squats, arm strengthening, and back strengthening.

Does anyone have any of Lindsey Brin's dvds:
http://www.momsintofitness.com/

One of my favorite yoga books is Prenatal Yoga by Jeanine Pavarti Baker.

#15 ·
Very interesting to see what others are doing!

I've done a pretty bad job with exercise since the birth of DD2.
: Never really got back into it and I've been feeling terrible physically and mentally for it. I'm active, but I feel so much better when I have an actual routine.

I'm feeling really ready this week and plan to start today actually. I want to look great in my shorts this summer, even pregnant!
I really want to feel toned and fit this time.

I've been disappointed in some of the prenatal workouts I tried previously not challenging me. I'm going for it this time and will let my body guide me as to what is and is not too much.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Lex&Cay View Post
Very interesting to see what others are doing!
I've been disappointed in some of the prenatal workouts I tried previously not challenging me. I'm going for it this time and will let my body guide me as to what is and is not too much.

ITA! I decided to pause my dvd when I want to do some extra squats or whatever other exercise I feel like I can do more of. I only have one prenatal DVD, but my hunch is that they are all pretty tame! I suppose the instructor feels the need to be, which I understand.

#17 ·
I've been faithfully walking/running everyday for the last six months until the "all day sickness" started a month ago. I'm starting to come out of it now that I'm 12 weeks.

I'm thinking about ordering Preggi Bellies Ball Workout from www.collagevideo.com. It has great reviews as a more challenging video and seems to combine aerobic and toning moves and is taught at three levels. You can see a clip on the website, seems it might be from Australia.

I also joined www.babyfit.com the pregnancy version of www.sparkpeople.com and they have lots exercise demos for pregnancy fitness including dumbell and ball demos.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by doularosemary View Post
I've been faithfully walking/running everyday for the last six months until the "all day sickness" started a month ago. I'm starting to come out of it now that I'm 12 weeks.

I'm thinking about ordering Preggi Bellies Ball Workout from www.collagevideo.com. It has great reviews as a more challenging video and seems to combine aerobic and toning moves and is taught at three levels. You can see a clip on the website, seems it might be from Australia.

I also joined www.babyfit.com the pregnancy version of www.sparkpeople.com and they have lots exercise demos for pregnancy fitness including dumbell and ball demos.
Ohh, Preggi Bellies! It is from Australia. I lived in Australia during the first part of my last pregnancy and I did the Preggie Bellies work out classes, which are very popular there. They were great. They were really challenging. Sometimes, I was like umm, should I be working out this hard? But, I always felt great afterward and had a nice, long, healthy pregnancy. I might have to check out a video now that I live in the US. Thanks for the link!

#19 ·
I am normally in great shape but since I was feeling so fatigued and nauseous I have not been able to work out. Normally I walk on my treadmill, do step aerobics and lift weights. I also walk my dog 4-5 evenings a week. This weekend I was finally able to ease into walking my dog slowly for 30 minutes. I plan to keep up the walking outside and on the treadmill. Since I haven't done the step aerobics or weights in 10 weeks I am worried to start back with them.

#20 ·
OMGosh.
After 7 weeks of basically lying on the couch or in bed...I went to prenatal/postpartum aerobics. I didn't do everything, but I still feel like death. My legs are shaky and I was all clammy throughout the class. But I did it. I just wanted to get out of the house and see people. Don't know how soon I'll try to do it again though! Wow, 2 months of m/s can really make you out of shape fast. Ugh.

#22 ·
Usually I just walk, wearing Mary. But she's getting too heavy and I hate the cold, so I am joining a gym. We took the tour today and I liked it, and they have a good childcare (I know a woman who works there) so I can leave her while I work out. I think it'll be good for both of us--since she doesn't go to day care or anything she never sees other kids!

#23 ·
I have gotten back into the swing a little better. I have walked Clover several times when the weather is warmer. I also cleaned the dust off the treadmill
and walked on there too. Now I just need to keep it up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.