Mothering Forum banner

Accidental nosebleed question...

459 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ananas 
#1 ·
I went to scratch my nose the other day when I was laying down and instead of going outside my nose my finger went IN it and scratched it up pretty bad. At first I just thought "Ow" but didn't think about it much and then realized that my hand was covered in blood.

I bled through a ton of tissues, to the point where I was actually getting scared. I was shocked at how much a little scratch bled.

Could this be pregnancy related, or was it just an odd coincidence?

#2 ·
I may be completely wrong, but I believe the body increases its blood supply during pregnancy. And the hormones really mess with everything. it could very well be related to the pregnancy.

#3 ·
We lived in WV when I was pg with dc1, and I frequently had nosebleeds in the winter while pg. I don't know if it was hormones drying out my mucus membranes that was the primary cause, or dry winter air.

I used to take lansinoh and swab the insides of my nostrils with a q-tip. Not so fun, but it did help. I tried using neosporin first, but that stuff is so gross, and it stinks! lol

Good luck, mama. HTH.

#5 ·
One of the first symptoms this time around that made me SURE I was pregnant again was my nose bleeding like crazy any time I'd so much as scratch it, or blow it, or even look at it!

~heather

#6 ·
Thanks guys. I wasn't concerned at all, just curious. I figured it might have something to do with the extra blood.

Seriously, though, it was SO MUCH blood. I thought I was going to have to admit what I had done to somebody to get "fixed". Not sure what they would have done...
But I felt like I was never going to stop bleeding.

paradoxia13-There's blood every time I blow my nose, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.