Baby Girl Names - finding the perfect name - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Boy names are easy for us. If its a boy we have the name. I cannot, however, stick to a girl's name. It's so hard finding a girl name that I can fall in love with. Am I the only one?

DH's #1 choice is Amelia and I really like it too but I can't say for sure if its THE name. KWIM? I'm not 100% in love with it I guess.

I also like Helena but am afraid of pronunciation issues. I don't know how others will read that name.

So lets discuss girl names here. Maybe someone can help me settle on the perfect name and I can help others as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 04:18 PM

We actually have a girl name picked, it is the boy name we are stuck on--we try to use family names, so our options are limited, making it easier. We also have a general rule that the name needs to be different, but not weird (to us). I think alot of DDCers have similar rules like that (Not in the Top 100, etc.) So, do you have any of rules?

Also, a good friend of mine would write names on her bathroom mirror with a write on-wipe off pen and she and her DH would add to or take away over the whole course of the pregnancy until they finally figured it out. They just had the visual reminder every day and could discuss and ponder.
#3 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 04:19 PM

Arg, I think girl names are so difficult. I always find boy names easier.

I LOVE Helena. Amelia is beautiful, too!

My girls are Cicely & Josephine (Joie).

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#4 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Catnap, lucky you for having a girl named picked already! We're just looking for names that aren't overly popular, that are strong, elegant and will age well and if it had personal significance all the better. I liked Amelia because it starts with an 'A' like my name and has 'mel' in it, which is what we call my mother. Those were the major factors for liking that name.

Spark
, I love your girls' names! Josephine would be on my list if I hadn't loved the name so much as a kid and named my dog that. I regret that! I like your style. If you were to have another girl what would you consider naming her?
#5 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applekitten View Post
Spark, I love your girls' names! Josephine would be on my list if I hadn't loved the name so much as a kid and named my dog that. I regret that! I like your style. If you were to have another girl what would you consider naming her?
I let my husband pick the names this time & I'm not a fan of his girl name... but I can live with it. If it's a boy, it'll be Roman (love that!), if it's a girl it's a beautiful name but she'll forever one of MANY in her classes ugh way too popular for me... Olivia. But, I can live with just calling her Liv and be okay with it. I just really dislike having my kid be one of 16,000 Olivia's born in the same year! "Is Olivia K. here? Is Olivia R. here? Is Olivia B. here? Is Olivia T. here?"

(Okay, okay, I know SOMEONE is reading this thinking, "But, Olivia is different and unique! It's the name I love!" To you, I say, go for it! If you find a name you love, then so be it. I just choose to not like the uber-popular names. Remember to check out http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ to see if that unique unusual name you like is REALLY not in the top 10... or 20 or whatever)

These are the girl names I like, but just haven't used for one reason or another:
Adele - Addy or Ada
Eleanor - Elle or Ella
Camille
Vivien - Viv
Cadence - Cade or Caden
Beatrix - Trixy
Imogen
Contessa - Tess
Jocelyn - Joss
Elise
Iris
Lola
Ellis
I always think Clementine is cute but I can't quite picture a banker named that. But, then again, I can't picture any of my kids every growing up to be bankers.

Oooh, and then for middle names I REALLY love Pearl or Ruby or Mae.

Here is a FUN quiz that is pretty right on in my mind!
http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/namequiz.html

#6 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 05:16 PM

I am convinced I am having a girl and I am having trouble coming up with girl names. I seem to be a bit pickier with girl names than I am with boy names. I haven't really shared anything with DP yet, because I am still figuring out ones I like enough to share. DP mentioned Kalina. I kind of like it, but I think it might be too close to Kai, my son's name. Araya was a top runner for a girl name when I was pregnant with ds, but now I have a friend with a Kaya and another with a Naya.

Some other names that I like, but I am unsure about:
Soleil
Lalita
Vera
Violet (DP said no way)

Another one I have been thinking about is Arwyn, but it is actually a boys name. I first noticed it as the screen name for the moderator on these boards, so I assumed it was a girls name. I still think of it as a girls name. What do you ladies think?

I tend to like nature names, Sanskrit names, and Hawaiian or other exotic names.

Mother to two great kids. &
#7 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 05:24 PM
elf

Oh my gosh Applekitten, just last night when I was walking around the house wearing a long white silk scarf, my husband was teasing me and saying that I looked like Amelia Earhart and then we both looked at eachother and for the first time ever--fell in love with the same name--AMELIA!!! I love it!
My other faves are:
Elsa
Anna
Lilly
Scarlet Begonia
Ruby
#8 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 05:25 PM

I like Elise.

#9 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 06:42 PM

We have our girl name (I'm staying quiet about it because I'm still a little superstitious) but the names that didn't make the cut were Elliott (yes, for a girl. Couldn't get my husband to ok it ), Miranda, Olivia, Teagan and Maeve. My husband liked Addison and Meredith. Hi, we watch too much Grey's Anatomy.
#10 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Spark, I only know of an Alivia but no Olivia's. It's a great name! I love your taste in names! DH and I seriously discussed a lot of those names on your list. And I love Clementine! That was a fun quiz. This is what mine said:

Your personality type is: Classic Conservative : 40%
Your personality type is: Classic Eccentric : 30%
Your personality type is: Modern Conservative : 15%
Your personality type is: Classic Unusual : 15%
Your personality type is: Modern Eccentric. : 0%
Your personality type is: Modern Unusual : 0%
Your personality type is: Classic Outmoded : 0%

Ahimsa, Vera and Violet are adorable. I know a little girl named Violet, she's really sweet.

elf, neat! I don't want to scare people away from the name Amelia but I just recently found out its a birth defect... so that is a big negative factor for me. Anna and Lilly are sweet.

Ahimsa, Elise is pretty.

mrs rockstar
, Teagan is on my list. I go back and forth on it. But ultimately I think its too boyish sounding for me. But I still have a soft spot for it.
#11 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 07:08 PM

Curious what you guys think of Ardea?

Not sure how to pronounce it. It is latin for Heron (the bird). I'm on the fence...It could grow on me but I don't find it really rolls off the tongue super well. I like that it has meaning plus is both strong and feminine at the same time.

It would probably be paired with Sage as the middle name.

spark - that's a great list of names. I love Lola.

ahmisa - I used to love the name Soleil but we named ds Rain, so it's out. My SIL suggested Shine for this baby which dh actually likes as a name but again, it's out because of the cheese factor when paired with Rain.

elf - I really like Scarlet too.

I keep coming back to:
Macy (dh says no)
Sierra (too popular, dh says no)
Rosa (dh & I both like it but I prefer the spanish pronunciation-rolled R and an esss sound not zzz-but in Canada, I'm sure no one would ever pronounce it that way).

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#12 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 07:10 PM

Another one I saw recently:

Noa

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#13 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 07:12 PM

I am at a total loss on girl names. Total. If this is a boy I will be relieved on that score alone.

But it is fun to hunt, isn't it?
#14 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applekitten View Post
Spark, I only know of an Alivia but no Olivia's. It's a great name! I love your taste in names! DH and I seriously discussed a lot of those names on your list. And I love Clementine! That was a fun quiz. This is what mine said:

Your personality type is: Classic Conservative : 40%
Your personality type is: Classic Eccentric : 30%
Your personality type is: Modern Conservative : 15%
Your personality type is: Classic Unusual : 15%
Your personality type is: Modern Eccentric. : 0%
Your personality type is: Modern Unusual : 0%
Your personality type is: Classic Outmoded : 0%
Did you click on the links then? It lists 20 or so each for boys and girls. So, if you click Classic Conservative, then you'll see one list & if you click Classic Eccentric you'll see another. Since those equal 70% for you, I bet you'll find your baby's name on one of those lists.

Wow, you don't know any Olivia's? 15,000+ were born last year alone. We're overrun with Olivia's here. Seems like every other younger sibling in my son's class is an Olivia. It IS a pretty name. It really is.

Oooh, I'm looking forward to seeing what you name your baby... because chances are I would have picked it, too!

#15 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 02:24 AM

I am leaning towards Gabriella. I really want something that means strength. Feel free to post suggestions:
#16 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post

I tend to like nature names, Sanskrit names, and Hawaiian or other exotic names.
Surya is a nice name...it means "sun", so ticks both the exotic and nature boxes.

I also think Indira is pretty...and Indi is such an adorable nickname!

To my ear, both go well with Kai. (Which is a fairly "normal" name in this Germanic/Scandinavian part of the world!) I really love it.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#17 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 11:22 AM

we have 2 girl's names, both of which i love so madly that when i dont have twin girls i am going to cry. this is our last baby we think, so that breaks my heart. and if it is a boy, we have NOTHING. i mean we have some names, but like others have said they arent The One.

we will be learning the sex if baby obliges, heartbeat has been above 160 fwiw.

i am too superstitious to share my girl names, but some boy names we have tossed around are Konstantin, Leopold, Blaise, Nikita. we have one other that is my favorite (but not the one yet) which i cant say because if anyone here used it i would not be able to. why that matters, i dont know! my names are so weird that no one is going to run away with them. LOL.

dh says if we dont have a girl i can name animals the names but i cant, i WILL NOT. these names are perfect. i dreamt these names! they must be.

we have an U/S soon, maybe too soon to tell, maybe not.

oh and as you can see in my siggy, my kids are Tristan, Kassiopeia & Anatoly. we use 2 middle names which livens things up a little in the name-choosing dept.!

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#18 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM

applekitten-I was thinking about 'mel' names all day yesterday. I am not so creative but I thought of:

Emmeline--I love this but DH would never go for it
Amelie--I know, like Amelia but just a little different
Melissa--an older name that isn't used much anymore, but it means 'honey bee' which I love
Melia
Melaina

The names we have picked for girls but probably won't use are:

Maren
Sheridan
Josephine

ahimsa--I love the name Arwen. It reminds me of Lord of the Rings, which makes me like it even more. I like Bronwyn too (quarteralien!)
#19 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 01:57 PM

I like this website: www.nymbler.com

You can put in names that you like and it will come up with some others that are similar. I've found some reallly cute names on there...too bad DH and I can't agree on a boy or a girls name yet!!!

Mama to DS 7/23/08.
#20 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 02:01 PM

http://www.babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

I also like this site because you can type in a name and see how popular it has been over the last 120 years.

Mama to DS 7/23/08.
#21 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
DP mentioned Kalina.
That's one of the names that I like too. How did your DH pronounce it? I was thinking Kah-lee-nah but wasn't sure if others would pronounce it with a long I.

My favorite girl's name is Serayna. It's looks odd when I type it, but I love how it sounds. But we don't share our names with anyone before the babe is born so I can't exactly ask people what they think about it, ya know?

My DD's name is Natalya which I love, I want to find another girl's name I love that much.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#22 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 05:35 PM

That nymbler site would be nice, except most of the names I like they don't have in the database, so my results are not great.

#23 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post
That's one of the names that I like too. How did your DH pronounce it? I was thinking Kah-lee-nah but wasn't sure if others would pronounce it with a long I.
The same way you pronounce it. I don't think people would pronounce it with a long I, but I guess you never know. DP heard it from a nurse in the hospital where his mother was staying. It was the nurse's granddaughter's name. I looked up the meaning and one meaning is "to love," which makes me like it more. I am still not sure if it is the name. In fact I don't like to pick a name for sure until I see the baby.

#24 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
That nymbler site would be nice, except most of the names I like they don't have in the database, so my results are not great.
Did you try this one instead: http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/namequiz.html
You have to click the links in the pop up window to see the list of names it matches you to. I like it better than nymbler. There must be something about my favorite names that just aren't favored by nymbler.

#25 of 25 Old 01-17-2008, 09:48 PM

Here are some unique girls names my friends have used or of girls from my son's school that some of you might like.

Zaria
Avalon
Adara
Malia
Deva
Genevieve (Evie)
Amara
Jolie
Divya
Della
Fife
Divine