Our scary ER trip... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-29-2008, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow so, last night was terrifying. It was snowing like crazy and I needed (or thought I did) to do some shoveling. I came home around 7:30pm and lied down because of a slight headache. While I was lying down I had some slight cramping, sharp pains, that lasted for a minute or two. I brushed it off as growing pains. A half hour later I sat up and felt a rush of wetness. I thought I had urinated and was really confused as to my I would not have control over my bladder all of a sudden. Went to the bathroom and it was blood. Maybe a teaspoon and bright pink. I called the midwives right away and she said it was probably just from the over exertion of shoveling and to call her if I soaked a pad. An hour later I had more than soaked a pad and we decided it was time to go to the ER. I was calm and okay until they laid me down and hookedme up to all that crap and started to do the IV and I started bawling. Thinking that this was it. The doctor came in and did an ultrasound and there was baby. Sucking his thumb and bouncing around, he even waved at us. His heartbeat was 141-143 and he showed no signs of distress. They saw some blood around the placenta and thought that I might have torn the placenta and that is why I was bleeding so much. They said that at this point, its in God's hands, sent my home and said to come back if I bleed more or start to pass any tissue. He said if I pass tissue, I will lose the baby. But he said it looked good and that I would probably go on to have a normal pregnancy. But I am on house/bed rest for a week. The midwife said we will have me get fully checked by an OB and see about the possibility of a low lying placenta or worse case scenario a placenta previa.

The bleeding has almost stopped now and I feel much more relieved. Still horrified that this happened but I think everything will be okay.

The lesson ladies... leave the shoveling to the hubby! Wish I could've learned it the easy way.

#2 of 24 Old 01-29-2008, 03:11 PM

Oh, goodness!

That is all so so scary! I'm so sorry! Sending healthy sticky baby vibes to you! What a beautiful thing to see him so happy & sucking his thumb!

I hope the rest heals you & the placenta right up!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#3 of 24 Old 01-29-2008, 03:12 PM

I had bleeding like that around 34 weeks with dd. It was much more than that though and came out in a huge gush. It was so much we called an ambulance.

Everything turned out just fine though! Our bodies are strong and want to grow our babies. So rest up and only do what you need to do.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#4 of 24 Old 01-29-2008, 03:13 PM

OMG...that must have been sooo scary. I hope everything is alright, it sounds like it will be. Now, TAKE IT EASY!

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#5 of 24 Old 01-29-2008, 04:17 PM
elf

Just lay there for a week! Everything sounds like it is going to be okay--maybe it was just a little message from someone that you need to slow down.
I will keep you in my thoughts.
#6 of 24 Old 01-29-2008, 04:43 PM

Yikes mama. How scary. Im glad the baby was ok though and I hope it stays that way!
#7 of 24 Old 01-29-2008, 04:46 PM

Scary! It sounds like everything will work out OK though. Rest up! It is snowy heavily at my house today--I will take your advice and leave shoveling to DH.
#8 of 24 Old 01-29-2008, 04:56 PM

Oh, my. How terrifying. I've been kind of laying low since I found out I'm pregnant, and part of me says I'm being a baby. After reading this, I won't feel bad about it any more.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#9 of 24 Old 01-29-2008, 05:12 PM

Oh, how awful! Make sure to take it easy! I hope you two are well soon!
#10 of 24 Old 01-29-2008, 05:37 PM

OH! That is so scarry and stressful. Hoping that all clears up and you have no more problems. And all you get out of the deal is bed rest, which can be very relaxing.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#11 of 24 Old 01-29-2008, 06:23 PM

Oh my goodness! That would scare the pee out of me. I'm glad the bleeding is almost stopped. Take care of yourself. I know how hard that wait and see advice is, especially when you want to know that everything is peachy right now!

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#12 of 24 Old 01-29-2008, 06:27 PM

I am sorry for your scare, you poor thing, but glad that all sounds good. I'm sure we don't have to tell you to take it easy! Best wishes.
#13 of 24 Old 01-30-2008, 12:44 AM

How terrifying! I'm glad it's stopped...now no more shoveling!!! (I'll be letting my husband read this so I can get out of it for the rest of the season!!)
#14 of 24 Old 01-30-2008, 10:08 AM

No more shoveling for you! Rest up, I hope things turn out okay.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#15 of 24 Old 01-30-2008, 11:54 AM

we'll all be thinking healthy thoughts for you and you baby.
#16 of 24 Old 01-30-2008, 04:40 PM

I'm so glad things are looking up. That sounds exactly like what happened to me three weeks ago. I was gushing and cramping and thought that was the end. Then about 4 hours later it stopped, and I haven't had any since. Still don't know why, but baby is healthy and I feel better. So I hope it works out just as well for you.
#17 of 24 Old 01-30-2008, 05:01 PM

Feel better soon, and get lots of rest for yourself and that little one!

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#18 of 24 Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 PM

What a night! Glad to hear you're resting up.

I had a tear in the placenta with my 2nd. I was put on pelvic rest and told to take it easy. MW didn't feel I would need bed rest as long as bleeding stopped and I was truly taking it easy. I didn't push it! We have a fiesty 21 month old now!

Hope you're feeling better soon!!
#19 of 24 Old 01-30-2008, 08:14 PM

A perfect reason to hibernate for a week. Put your feet up and enjoy! I am glad everything id alright!
#20 of 24 Old 01-31-2008, 04:29 AM

That sounds terrifying!!

Not all those who wander are lost 
#21 of 24 Old 02-01-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all the well wishes and hugs.

We went to see a doctor today and he did an abdominal and a transvaginal ultrasound. Baby looked good and the placenta is nice and high in my uterus except for one little tail piece that is coming down near/into? my cervix. He said he would be shocked if it did not move up out of the way naturally. He sees no reason why I cant continue care with my Midwives and all looks good! No more bedrest, yay! Although I did kind of enjoy the extra attention from DP! I have good cervical length, no dilation, and good news all around. He wants to do another ultrasound in early March and to make sure everything moves around as planned. Baby is measuring right on track and a little chubby but the doctor did not want to make a call on gender just yet. He said he would try harder in March.

We got a picture of our little "gorilla face" as the doctor so kindly put it but DP had to take it to work with him today to show it off so I'll post it later.

I am so unbelievably relieved. It is so important to hope for the best and be positive in these situations.

Thank you again for all the wonderful support ladies!

#22 of 24 Old 02-01-2008, 08:23 PM

Oh, congratulations! Great news. I'm really happy for you and glad for the relief you are feeling. Thanks so much for the update.
#23 of 24 Old 02-01-2008, 08:34 PM

YAY!!! That is wonderful!

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi
#24 of 24 Old 02-02-2008, 12:28 AM

Wow! What a scare... I'm so glad that everything looks good. Its a good lessen that I'll have to remember - not to over do it. I was shoveling out from the snow plow the other day and wondering whether I should be doing it or not. I guess I'll just have to let DH do it from now on, after all, I'll tell him its not worth the risk to my health

I hope everything continues to move on up for you

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page