July Multiples Mamas - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 163 Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pulling this thread back to page 1.

Hope you are all feeling well. Anyone feeling as big as me?

My recent update:

My bloodwork came back from last week and my hemoglobin level was 11.3. I thnk "normal" is 12-16. So, it's slightly low but not drastically low. Plus I've increased my floravit doasge since then so hopefully the blood work taken yesterday show's an improvement. Now for my vent about yesterday's GD test ::

I stopped eating by 8pm because I knew I was going to the lab by 8am for my GD test. I got there, took a number and waited. It was very busy. When they got to my number an hour later they asked me if I had an appointment. ????? I've done this twice before with my other pregnancies and never needed an appointment. Turns out the policy has only recently changed and I guess my midwife didn't know about it. So, they scheduled me for the first appointment of the day at 10:15am. I left and came back. They took the initial blood draw and I expected to be given the drink right away (like the last two times) but was told that they had to send it up to the hospital to get the results first before giving me the drink. New policy once again :. So, I sat there for 1-1/2 hours before they even got the results. Then I drank the drink. After the first blood draw an hour later I expected to be done. Well, guess what, my midwife had requested the 2 hour test so I had to sit there for another hour to get the next blood draw. All in all, I was at the lab pretty much for 6 hours and essentially fasted for 20 hours. Is it any wonder that I had to go lie down on one of their beds at one point because I thought I was going to pass out? Thankfully, my mil was at home looking after ds and dd. After all that I better test negative :.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#62 of 163 Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds like an awful test!!!! I dont know if my mw is going to ask me to do that test. I sort of have two minds about it...I know a lot of the research in the Noble book says it is really unnecessary, but everyday I freak out that I have pre-e, or gd or something! It just seems like it might be nice to know. My blood pressure has always been really good, but lately (and I am 27 weeks today) I have started some swelling. I dont think its anything to be worried about, but of course I do. I am starting to hear all kinds of horror stories about home birthing at it totally freaks me out. I wish people would just keep it to themselves. I absolutely know that if something looks like we need help the hosp. is less that 2 min. away and I will not hesitate, but if we can stay at home I want to try....I guess its just hard to hold my position even when I of course scared too - I mean seriously we are all going to have to get TWO out of us!

I just cant wait...only 10-13 weeks to go! It seems like I am soooo close. I have been feeling really really big lately and not getting a lot of sleep. I think I am going to try to stop working by the end of the month. I am just so worn out. The other day I tried to clean the house and when I woke up the next day I could barely move! I cried

But...some instead of a shower, some friends of mine said they would come over and help get our horrible yard in shape for the summer. It is totally trashed from the dogs and lack of any work done for two years and since I figure I will be more or less house bound when the babies come it is a great gift. One of them is a landscape artist so she is going to help come up with a design. I cant wait!

Thanks for digging us out of the back pages!
#63 of 163 Old 04-15-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to one View Post
All in all, I was at the lab pretty much for 6 hours and essentially fasted for 20 hours. Is it any wonder that I had to go lie down on one of their beds at one point because I thought I was going to pass out? .

Mama to one, YIKES! I had my GD screening last Monday, 4/7, and thankfully only had to stay there an hour. I haven't gotten my results back yet.
I have heard a lot about the validity of these screenings but since my mother had undiagnosed GD with all four preganancies (not one of us under 10 lbs!), coupled with the fact that she developed type II diabetes later in life, I will gladly take the test just to be safe.

I also had my second level II scan on 4/7. Both babies measuring right on target with all anatomical parts in order. Baby Girl (A) is 1 lb. 13 oz and Baby Boy (B) is 1 lb 14 oz. At the time I was 25 weeks, I am currently 26.

I am getting crazy excited, too. My coworker just had her baby and I was able to visit her in the hospital and hold her new son. He was beautiful, and I couldn't help imaging when my momemt will come.

Hope every one is doing well!!!
#64 of 163 Old 04-15-2008, 08:53 PM

Well, the good news is no GD. I have to say I wasn't worried at all and would have been surprised if I was positive but I guess after that experience I thought maybe luck would not be on my side. My iron level went up slightly too so that's good.

I am off to my OB appointment tomorrow and will have an ultrasound as well. I know measurements and weights can be off in an ultrasound but I am looking forward to seeing the growth. I will post in a couple of days with an update. Cross your fingers for me that the placenta has moved already. It would just be nice to not have to worry about c-section due to placenta previa for the rest of the pregnancy.

MollyKenzie - I am exhausted too. That's so nice that you'll have your yard ship-shape for the summer. That's a gift you can really appreciate! A friend of mine is arranging some food/meal deliveries and that's something I'm excited about .

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#65 of 163 Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 AM

Mama to One-- I'm sorry for that horrible GD screening experience. All those hours without food, starting with finding out that you were supposed to have an "appointment" after already waiting an hour for your number to be called....it boggles the mind.

What is the deal with fasting? My last pregnancy, I know I ate breakfast and then went in....it wasn't a fasting test. I gave some thought to what to eat, too. (They covered it in my Bradley class.) But I was at the OB's office for an appointment yesterday and the midwife gave me a lab slip for the glucose tolerance test, and the attached paperwork said no food for 12 hours.

The lab opens at 6 a.m. or maybe 6:30, so I guess I'm not too worried about having to struggle too long through the morning without breakfast (though I've never stopped eating that early at night before!), but I just wonder.

Last time I did the screen, they didn't want you to leave the building but you could leave the office, so I went to the stairwell and walked up and down the 4 flights for twenty minutes or so (I always had LOTS of energy through that pregnancy, lol!) and then went back and sat in the waiting room, then went out and walked the halls (taking one flight of stairs between floors at a time, that time) for awhile longer, then had my blood drawn. It seemed insane just to SIT there.

I am going round and round on the GD screening issue, this time. I sort of want to talk to my OB first, just to see what she "expects" or how she would react to a "failing" score, and also to talk about what happens if I DO fail that and the 3-hour test.....comparing my current diet to the GD management diet and questioning whether it makes sense to screen. Although I don't want "refused testing" to be on my chart if it makes a red flag issue for the perinatologists who are monitoring the twins' growth at the other hospital. Erg.

I was reading in the Elizabeth Noble book about how the insulin production & hormonal insulin suppression works, and also sensible eating patterns and "problem" foods. I started reflecting on the intolerances or, rather, disinclinations I've had through this pregnancy. It's almost like I'm choosing things, instinctively, that are less likely to make this issue an "issue." Like, I'm normally a milk drinker and I love our local, raw organic milk (as well as our local slow pasteurized/not ultra-pasteurized bottled milk from grass-fed cows) but I haven't wanted milk this whole pregnancy. Noble is anti-milk, pretty much, but aside from her milk issues she also mentions (in reference to GD) the high amount of simple sugars present. I also am not interested in juice (except that I eat grapefruit daily and do squeeze it out after....that's what I use to take my vitamins, now that I'm taking them again!) And breads, pancakes, pastas, etc. (even whole grain ones) leave a kind of aftertaste that bums me out, so I pretty much avoid them.

I'm eating well, but very differently from my usual tastes (and definitely different from the last pregnancy, when yogurt, oatmeal, whole wheat pancakes, milk, bread, all were fine.) I wonder if it's somehow instinctive on the level of managing twin "tendencies" and avoiding problems?

Anyway, I'm excited for your update! Do share your growth report when you're back. I just know your beans are doing great!
#66 of 163 Old 04-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Really nice to hear from the other twin moms! I find (at 25 weeks) that I'm getting tired more quickly, too. Backache, stretching skin pain, pelvic pain when I get out of bed or stand up after awhile. I even feel it after sitting on the birth ball, sometimes. In general, I think I feel great, but I do get winded pushing a cart (and toddler) through the grocery store, etc. Whew!

Hey, when is the glucose tolerance screening typically done with twins? I'm 25 weeks and got my lab slip yesterday, and the midwife said it was in prep for my next appointment (in four weeks, I think) but that anytime between now and then would be fine, it was not a scheduled thing but just at my convenience.

I read the GD screening sections from E. Noble's book & Dr. Luke's book to my husband yesterday morning, and he thinks it sounds like your chances of failing go up with time, so maybe sooner is better.

I feel so up in the air about this! But it looks like those of you who are ahead of me are just getting it done, so maybe ~28 weeks is typical for twins & singletons?

Also, when did you have a blood draw to check for iron levels? I forgot to ask (it was a very fast appointment, yesterday) and they still didn't say anything about it. I thought after 20 weeks they'd be wanting to check my hemoglobin/hematocrit, but they haven't made any noise about it. I've started taking vitamins again (the iron I take is ferrous fumarate, which I think is pretty bioavailable & well-absorbed....it worked great in my super-energized last pregnancy and I never had anyone mention iron supplementation to me) and the pink/red of my palms & the insides of my eyelids bounced back. I had noticed they'd just recently paled a bit, around the 21 week mark or so.

Anyway, the lab sheet (for the GD screen) doesn't mention anything but the glucose testing, so I don't think they're planning to roll it in with that. And I don't see the doctor again until my appointment in May, which is about 4 weeks away. (I see the perinatologists in-between, but that's just an ultrasound screening to keep an eye out for TTTS problems.)

Might it be "normal" to wait until 28 or 29 weeks to check iron levels at all? I was thinking no, but it's not that I'm particularly worried or wanting to be "managed," I just was wondering and a little surprised that they'd said nothing.

Since I got on with this OB practice mid-pregnancy, and I've only actually met the OB herself once, things sometimes feel scattered or incomplete...
#67 of 163 Old 04-16-2008, 05:58 PM

Hey girls, I'm sneaking over from the August ddc. Since you guys are a few weeks ahead of me I thought it would be best to ask you. When did you start feeling braxton hicks? Also do you experience a lot of stretching tightness in your abdomen? I will be 23 weeks Friday. I have gained all the weight I am supposed to (29 lbs) I drink a ton of water, I stay off my feet. But my abdomen feels tight a lot, especially when I wake up. I had a level 2 3 weeks ago and all was good. And I have another scheduled for the end of the month. I'm not really worried. I asked the mw today and she didn't really give me an answer as to how I can tell the difference between bh and normal stretching. She just said we will know if its anything on the next us and if I'm really uncomfortable to call and I can come in and get checked. Its not painful, just uncomfortable. But I thought I would see if anyone else experienced anything else like this.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#68 of 163 Old 04-16-2008, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopzmom View Post
Hey girls, I'm sneaking over from the August ddc. Since you guys are a few weeks ahead of me I thought it would be best to ask you. When did you start feeling braxton hicks? Also do you experience a lot of stretching tightness in your abdomen? I will be 23 weeks Friday. I have gained all the weight I am supposed to (29 lbs) I drink a ton of water, I stay off my feet. But my abdomen feels tight a lot, especially when I wake up. I had a level 2 3 weeks ago and all was good. And I have another scheduled for the end of the month. I'm not really worried. I asked the mw today and she didn't really give me an answer as to how I can tell the difference between bh and normal stretching. She just said we will know if its anything on the next us and if I'm really uncomfortable to call and I can come in and get checked. Its not painful, just uncomfortable. But I thought I would see if anyone else experienced anything else like this.
I have to tell you that my bh started way early, like around 16-20 weeks I think. They can sometimes even make me a little winded. I definatly freaked out about them for awhile, and started to take some cal/mag which helped a lot. (it also helped with the really painful constipation I was having) But I think for me its just going to be a part of this pregnancy. I also get a lot of cramping which can sometimes be scary, but nothing comes of it, and my mw says its all very normal, especially since its my second pregnancy. I find a get them whenever I have to pee, which is totally annoying since I have to pee ALL the time I just have learned to try and take it easy, they seem to come more if I am tired, and slow.

Hope that helped

Also, I am doing fairly well. I played hookey from work today because I totally have short timers. I am not going to be working much longer and just cant seem to muster up any enthusiasm. I have another mw appoint. next week which I am excited for. I think its going to be the last of the 4 week appointments and go to 2 weeks. This is really great, because after 2 weeks I get pretty squirley anyway. I have this horrible stretching pain on my right side, and am not sure my skin is going to take much more of this...but at least it means they are growing and doing well.

I might have found a good home for one of my dogs (we have three right now, and I told my partner that I just didnt think I could take care of three dogs and three kids at the same time!) which would be great. Its not the one we were thinking of trying to find a home for, but its to my grandma who just lost her little dog to old age and she will absolutely give him a good home. It is sooooo hard to find a home for a grown dog!

Also, the girls dresser was delivered today. My mom bought us this amazing new dresser (nicer than anything else we have in the house) and I got to put all their clothes and cloth diapers away. I realized we have a lot of older stuff, but almost no clothes for when they first get here. I just remembered how fast they grow out of things and I guess I forgot there is still like 3 months in there where they will need clothes I am starting to get really excited and ready for them to come out....of course I still have a really really really long way to go, but....

Ok...hope everyone else is doing well....blowkiss:
#69 of 163 Old 04-17-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Hi! I'm 25 weeks--26 weeks on Friday.

I often feel a hard abdomen when I wake up; I think it's baby bodies kind of shifted to the side because of the position I've been in.

I don't have lots of Braxton Hicks contractions, or at least I don't notice them. I remember having a patch of noticeable ones awhile back, maybe around 20 weeks or so? (Guessing) Not sure when the absolute first I recognized were. I went to the grocery store (alone) yesterday and felt pretty tired walking around pushing the cart. Just weary, and my abdomen was hard, contracting. I also was thirsty and really needed more water--hadn't had a lot yet at that point in the day and was feeling it.

I had a big growth spurt and felt LOTS of skin stretching (which is different, to me, than the uterine tightness of a braxton hicks) between 20 & 24 weeks. I'd bet you're in the middle of that spurt. (I think singletons & twins typical have a spurt at that time--I had read to expect it, and I definitely felt it with the twins!) I think I wrote about it on the 3rd page of this thread and some people answered.

I can't believe that I can't see any stretch marks yet, as fast as I've grown and as much as I've FELT that pulling. I suppose the most outrageous growth (beyond the typical 40 weeks singleton size) is yet ahead. We shall see....
#70 of 163 Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM

thanks! That makes me feel better. With my dd I was so relaxed but everyone has me so freaked out about a twin pregnancy. All the pre term labor talk. Everyone is so negative it makes me that way too. UGH! Ya know I do notice the stretching more when I have to pee which is pretty much constantly. I never put the 2 together.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#71 of 163 Old 04-17-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
thanks! That makes me feel better. With my dd I was so relaxed but everyone has me so freaked out about a twin pregnancy. All the pre term labor talk. Everyone is so negative it makes me that way too. UGH! Ya know I do notice the stretching more when I have to pee which is pretty much constantly. I never put the 2 together.
I know what you mean about the negativity. It seems sooo hard to get away from. I am just so glad that I have a midwife who treats it all just totally normally and helps keep my spirits up. I too was completely relaxed about my first preg. but now...it just seems so easy to tip me over. I just try to stay in a safe little bubble of friends, home and midwives.
#72 of 163 Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 PM

Hi ladies .

I had my 28 week ultrasound and appointment yesterday. It's exhausting - whew! I have to drive 1.25 hours to the lab and OB's office, get the ultrasound and then wait my turn at the OB's office (which is of course aways busy and behind), then drive home. Even though I'm on my own (no dc's) I find the driving, sitting and waiting is exhausting. It takes about 4 hours total.

Anyway, it's worth it to get all the good news I guess . Ultrasound went well. Both babies are in the vertex position. Baby boy has been for some time but baby girl was breech for a while so it's nice to see her head down as well. The OB says that while they can still move most times once they are head down by 28-30 weeks they usually stay that way - yay! Baby boy weighs in at 2lbs, 13oz and baby girl at 2lbs, 12oz. I think that's great. From what I've read a single baby at 28 weeks averages 2-1/2 to 3lbs so I figure if they're on track with single babies then things are going well. The technician and OB thought it was great too. My low-lying placenta has moved slightly and is now just over 2cm from cervix. My OB thinks it will move a bit more although he feels more comfortable with 4+ cm's. 0-2cm's they schedule a c-section but 2-4cm he said they would just have a double set-up so that I can hopefully birth vaginally but should any complications arise he has the OR all set up and staffed. I think he does this for any multiple delivery anyway. My cervix went from 4+ cm's to 3.34 but OB says that's totally normal and they only look at recommending bedrest under the 2.5cm mark.

I was also glad to hear that should the babies move position or a scheduled c-section is required that he encourages waiting to 38 weeks regardless. I thought (from reading other stories online and in books) that he might just schedule something early, like 35-36 weeks, to avoid me going into labour. But he says he is much more concerned with making sure we don't have premature babies and he wants them to be able to come home right away. So, I was happy to hear that he's not scared of me going into labour on my own. After 38 weeks, I think he starts to think more about inducing but at that point I'm hoping I don't even have to worry about it. Overall, I got a really good feeling about the OB this time. He loved my questions and interest and every once in a while he would get this twinkle in his eye and get excited and you could just kind of tell that he loves what he's doing and really has mine and babies best interests at heart.

And for me, well everything is normal. Gained about 35lbs so far, low blood pressure, and measuring 35 weeks.

poopzmom I only recently started noticing my braxton hicks contractions. Today especially while walking around the grocery store. For me, it's this instant overwhelming urge to pee, followed by my whole stomach hardening and a tiny bit of pain. But, once I relax and sit down they're gone again. I also just went through a period of uncomfortable stretching of skin and muscle. It lasted about 2-3 days.

#73 of 163 Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 PM

I saw your update after you posted it but couldn't get back to respond. So BUMPING back up to page one!!

I'm so happy you had a great appointment, and that your babes are growing well and positioned well. (And thanks for updating nice and fast, even though you didn't get prompt responses. I was checking in!)

I am feeling in a funk, lately. A funk about eating (and especially preparing foods, planning, getting to the store....it's all just feeling like a rut and I am sliding majorly.) And a funk about things in general.

I went to the closest Webster-certified chiropractor I could find (it was two weeks ago), after knowing that twin B had turned breech. She worked on my sacrum some, and commented that it was sort of folded or out of whack. But she felt that the round ligament wasn't too bad and my pelvis was (I can't remember what she said...soft, maybe? Easy to something?) not really in bad shape.

However, the feeling seemed so different from the last Webster experience I had (last pregnancy, just over 4 years ago), that I am lacking confidence in this new chiro. I wouldn't say it was painful (the sacrum work), but it wasn't as comfortable as I expected. She didn't use the wedges (though she had them....she said with my belly & her table, it wasn't going to work. She had me up on a pillow with a big belly cutout, and I think she just was pushing on the sacrum. Like, with a lot of force behind it--jumping up and using her weight, almost!) I may be remembering the past experience all wrong, or at least forgetting aspects of it, but....I don't know. I feel uncertain and ambivalent about this time.

I could swear it was (last time) almost like "nothing" was done, and yet I felt different and better. He would check things like the correspondence between fingertip length when he'd pull my arms out, then he'd do a little something, and check again. Maybe there were some things that made me hold my breath from the pressure or slight discomfort....I honestly can't say. But I felt trusting and pretty confident, based on my experience with him, and I'm not feeling that as readily this time. I don't know what to think. (She's nice, but....) It could be me "remembering" what I've told myself about the last experience, and just forgetting some aspects that I omitted from thinking about in the years since. So I might be inventing problems where there aren't any, but I don't know.

Then I went last Wednesday for the 2 week check-in ultrasound (no measurements or growth tracking, just a quick visual assessment and look at the cervix and fluid levels in each sac. This is the interim TTTS-watch, I think, every two weeks, while the bigger measurement comparisons come at the perinatologists' practice every 4 weeks.) I had been talking to the babies, telling twin B to change positions. I was having trouble with visualizing the actual position, and so I mostly encouraged him to put his head by his brother's. (That was easier for me to grasp as a message to "send.") Maybe not the best/clearest message....

I did feel some movement and a big shift, but I mentioned to my husband that it was possible baby A had turned breech rather than baby B turning vertex. I was feeling something hard (head?) up high on the right side. Either baby B was sprawling across the upper part of the womb, or baby A had turned.

Well, at that ultrasound a week ago, both babies were breech and their heads were right next to each other.

I am trying to stay open and positive....I don't feel truly pessimistic about the chances of them turning (or at least one turning and getting in position closest to the cervix) and I'm not dwelling on the prospect of surgical delivery if both are breech (this is the first I've even consciously gone there, sort of), but I think this knowledge is contributing to my funk.

I was 27 weeks on Friday, so 27w4d today. I do believe there's time, but I just feel sort of pessimistic or muted about the whole thing. My positions while sleeping/resting probably have a lot to do with their positioning or lack of righting themselves, and I am at my wit's end about that (ending up on my back ALL the time.)

On top of all of it, I was feeling so good and positive in general. Listening to my Hypnobabies affirmations and the CDs. But I can't find my home course book (for Hypnobabies) ANYwhere and I am sort of freaking out that it didn't turn up when I straightened the "promising" places in the bedroom. I haven't been listening to the CDs as I can't do the accompanying coursework. And I'm stressing about how effective it will be with this big gap in my practice of the program. And where IS that book?!

Plus I just have misgivings about the way I was absorbing (or not) the materials, anyway. I mean, I always fell asleep (this is supposed to be okay) and never came "to" at the end when she would count me up. (The way some people do, even if they think they were asleep.) And I was listening to the next disc and none of the techniques were familiar to me (the switch, the finger drop) and I don't know if I've missed it on the CD or if I didn't get that far in the book. (Where is the book?!)

Okay, I'm ranting. I think I've spooked myself, like somehow it's jinxed and nothing will work for me, since I started it and haven't been able to continue seamlessly. And both babies breech, and, and, and....

My problems with food (getting enough, and also finding good alternatives I'm not burned out on) might have something to do with pessimism about the prospect of the glucola screening, too. (Still haven't done that. Maybe tomorrow morning.)

Wow, I didn't realize how pervasive this funk has become.
#74 of 163 Old 04-29-2008, 12:43 PM

On the flip side, we had a shower last night! Joe's co-workers really wanted to do this for us, and they went all out. It was a nice pot-luck, light dinner, and tons of gifts. So sweet and precious, those little clothes.

His boss got us some nice receiving blankets and soft toys, and also gave us a pair of Kate Quinn Organics gowns and little hats. Sooooo luxurious. And a little portable rocking "hammock" thing (like a bouncy seat that just rocks a little on the floor) I hadn't seen before. I didn't look closely at it, but the blurb seemed to claim something about it being an alternative to the bouncy chair that eliminates pressure points or tension or stresses on the body. Dunno. She just thought we could use a safe place to put down one baby when needed, and she is very right!

I got a big bag of newborn fitted diapers, covers, wipes, and stuff from my mom. (These were all things I picked out, so no surprise, but still amazing to get!)

And so many nice little things we can use for the guys. Plus several nice gifts for our big girl. (She wasn't overlooked at all--hairbrush, barrettes, markers, coloring books, stickers, paper, and this elaborate fairy garden set with unicorns and a working fountain/pump and stuff. Whoa.)

That was pretty awesome and my back didn't start hurting in earnest until the very end of the party.
#75 of 163 Old 04-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Mama to One, I saw your update from Friday on the Parenting Multiples forum and I hope you are feeling better! Sounds like that illness was making you pretty miserable...I hope the antibiotics helped.
#76 of 163 Old 04-29-2008, 01:22 PM

AMYC -- I'm totally in a funk too. I'm trying to get motivated to do the hypnobabies but right now I have marginal previa so I'm feeling like it's useless to try until I know it's gone.

I'd like to figure on CD'ing but it just seems too complicated right now. Too much info, too many choices.

I'm feeling good though at 30 wks. No real issues. Babies are in good position if the darn placenta moves.
#77 of 163 Old 04-29-2008, 08:32 PM

Well, it seems like we're all in a bit of a funk. Count me in too .

AmyC - sounds like a wonderful shower and lots of fun! Glad your dd didn't get left out.

wormca - I had marginal placenta previa as well. I think mine has moved far enough away (just over 2cm) that the OB is OK attempting a vaginal delivery. I hope yours does the same.

I am just not feeling very positive about things right now. Until I got sick about 2 weeks ago I was thinking pretty positively and assuming all would go well and I would carry to term. But now it just seems like there's always something to worry about. Not to mention being sick, uncomfortable and single parenting right now. I posted a small thread about my appointment yesterday and how baby A has low fluid level. Not sure how low because I wasn't quite sure what it meant until I came home and did some research. Now I know what "numbers" to look at. I believe anything under a 5 is considered low. It could be something as simple as babies position and it will fix itself but it could also be a reason to start steroid shots in the event of premature delivery. Plus my fundal height hasn't increased in the last two weeks and I've actually lost 2lbs. Not sure if that's related to the amniotic fluid issue or being sick and on antibiotics. And my blood pressure has steadily been increasing. OB isn't worried yet but I'm usually very low (90/70) and yesterday it was 140/84!!

I go back on Friday to recheck the fluid levels. I really hope everything corrects itself. I'm only 30 weeks. Babies are just over 3lbs and are still growing well. We saw them practicing their breathing on the ultrasound which was pretty cool. Baby A is still head down but baby B has moved to a transverse position across the top of my belly - which, BTW, is extremely uncomfortable! I've advised baby A that his job is to stay head down and keep baby B away from that opening

In general I'm just feeling kind of depressed and out of it. Oh yah, I'm also suffering from some mild allergic reactions to the antibiotic which includes itchy skin, more nausea and diarrhea - Nice.......

Trying to take it easy and take care of my dc's while dh is gone. I know dh is worried being away but he'll be back by Friday and seeing as he's taking the day off work he'll be able to accompany me to my appointment.

I hope this funk stage passes for everyone soon. It's not much fun

#78 of 163 Old 04-30-2008, 03:19 AM

I hope you follow up your antibiotics with soem good probiotics. *hugs* being sick while preggers just sucks!

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#79 of 163 Old 04-30-2008, 03:35 AM

Not in your DDC (I'm in June)...

How many twin mamas do you all have in July???

June, we have 2 that I know of and I may be missing one.

Best of luck to you all!!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#80 of 163 Old 04-30-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to one View Post

I hope this funk stage passes for everyone soon. It's not much fun
here, here.

I stayed up entirely too late last night, reading about acute TTTS (I'd been paying attention to the syndrome in terms of chronic TTTS, which is what we've been monitoring for to this point) and issues about "term" and delivery outcomes at various gestational dates. Plus differences between delivery outcomes contrasting elective deliveries and spontaneous deliveries, regardless of dates. (You may have seen my thread on "Term" over on the Multiples forum.) It's a little hard because you get good feedback and even read compelling studies, but I'm always left to factor in the shared placenta and even just the fact of my twins being MZ.

Also, things like the issue of one twin being clearly term and the other near-term--smaller, covered with vernix, less "ready" for life outside the womb in various ways--are more a factor with fraternal pairs than with MZ pairs, I would imagine. Just because the two eggs could have been released & fertilized a week or more apart with DZ sets, and the twins really can be different gestational ages. So, it's just slightly different sets of issues depending on scenarios.

I admit, on the issue of late-onset TTTS (the unequal sharing can start during or before labor, even), I knew it was a possibility but I always assumed it would be minor because they'd be born so soon after. And part of the danger of undiagnosed TTTS is the progressive damage over time. If diagnosed in the very early stages and carefully monitored, chronic TTTS can be managed for weeks and months with minimal complications or side effects for the twins. So it seemed that having the dynamic begin so late in the game, right at or before delivery, was "less risky." Until I realized that the acute version is a different version of the same issue, and risky for different reasons. I had glossed over some of those issues before now.

It is such a long shot and something you can't really "prepare" for, so I am not dwelling on it. But factoring it in helps with preparing to talk to the OB about the whole issue of "needing" to schedule something (I was assuming induction but she didn't actually say it would be induction & not c-section...) if they haven't come on their own by 38 weeks. Also, I'd like to know how they monitor for acute TTTS. (Can ask the peri when I go in next week.)

It's so weird, the feeling of NOT "really" being high risk in any meaningful way, at least with nothing manifest, but knowing at the same time that these issues are real. And yet really wanting to manage the potential for these issues in a way that works with and honors the fact that it's very likely I could go to the birth with no maternal or fetal complications presenting....

Anyway, I am feeling a bit proactive today. I'd like to head to the grocery store and stock up on some vegetables and potatoes (I have meat but very slim pickings on the rest) and hopefully I can get out of the food funk. I'm tired of stir fry (well really, I'm especially tired of chicken) but I need things that provide leftovers so I can make more meals out of them.

Good luck to all of us multiples mamas in our various funks!
#81 of 163 Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
Not in your DDC (I'm in June)...

How many twin mamas do you all have in July???

June, we have 2 that I know of and I may be missing one.

Best of luck to you all!!

I was up late so I'm not thinking as clearly as I should be, need the nap already! But I think we have

MollyKenzie
Mama_To_One
worcma
AmyC (me)
devilish_fetish
bliznetsi74 (joined us recently)

I hope I haven't missed anyone. It seemed like we had more (when I came along, I was either 12 or 13, but I think that included people who were guessing and hadn't yet been able to confirm or rule out multiples....) I also get mixed up because there are familiar names of expectant multiples mamas from over on the Multiples forum, either ahead or behind us, (like you, DiannaK!) and so the pool seems bigger to me.
#82 of 163 Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 AM

worcma, I wonder if the Hypnobabies might be helpful at all in the process of the placenta continuing to move? I know I have heard that hypnosis in childbirth prep is helpful even in surgical outcomes (planned or unplanned) and especially in the recovery from c-section. I don't know if that thought would help you to get motivated.

I need to find that book of mine.... (By the way, is the main book spiral bound? I thought so but wanted to try to remember clearly what I'm looking for. White cover?)

I hope the placenta issue resolves.

Karen, I found your thread about the low amniotic levels. I can see why that, and your illness and your husband's travel, has brought you down some. I am hoping for a good resolution of the "issue" and that things look good on Friday when you go. Please do update us. I'll be thinking of you.

(I hope some of the suggestions from the other thread--increasing your water intake, plus soaking in the tub!--have proved helpful.)

Wishing us all some sunny days and mood lifts (although we certainly can use the rain, here....)
#83 of 163 Old 04-30-2008, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyC View Post
I was up late so I'm not thinking as clearly as I should be, need the nap already! But I think we have

MollyKenzie
Mama_To_One
worcma
AmyC (me)
devilish_fetish
bliznetsi74 (joined us recently)

I hope I haven't missed anyone. It seemed like we had more (when I came along, I was either 12 or 13, but I think that included people who were guessing and hadn't yet been able to confirm or rule out multiples....) I also get mixed up because there are familiar names of expectant multiples mamas from over on the Multiples forum, either ahead or behind us, (like you, DiannaK!) and so the pool seems bigger to me.
I am going to edit my first post so that we can have everyone's name and due date listed...if you guys would like that. Let me know what the dd is "supposed" to be and I will add that too!
#84 of 163 Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyKenzie View Post
I am going to edit my first post so that we can have everyone's name and due date listed...if you guys would like that. Let me know what the dd is "supposed" to be and I will add that too!
Good idea! How much info do you want?
Mine are MZ boys due July 25.
#85 of 163 Old 04-30-2008, 07:03 PM

Mamatoone -- unfortunately the odds go down of it moving the later you get. At 28 wks, it's about 50/50. And my twins are also in a "T" formation, with Baby A head down and Baby B a high transverse across my upper belly, slightly more head down. I asked the tech and the peri and both thought they looked great for a vaginal delivery and opined that Baby B might not be able to really get fully head down the way his sack was positioned.

AmyC -- I like to think that hypnobabies could help with the placental movement but I'm just kind of down about the whole thing. But you are right, I'm still doing it b/c I am really freaked about the idea of surgery & I do think it will help should that be the outcome.

After finding out about the previa (and that I failed the 1 hr GD test), I decided to find out the sexes thinking it would cheer me up and get me excited to do some nursery planning or shopping. But, we found out it was two boys, and (I'm sort of embarrassed to admit it) I'm bummed. It really hasn't motivated me at all. I have a DD and I always wanted her to have a sister.

I still haven't found time to take the 3 hr GD test, and I'm sure I'll be hearing about that soon. Work has been tricky with all that, & I haven't found the time with all of the other "necessary" though seemingly overlaping appts.

For the roll call, EDD is 7-7-08 with DZ boys.
#86 of 163 Old 05-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worcma View Post

After finding out about the previa (and that I failed the 1 hr GD test), I decided to find out the sexes thinking it would cheer me up and get me excited to do some nursery planning or shopping. But, we found out it was two boys, and (I'm sort of embarrassed to admit it) I'm bummed. It really hasn't motivated me at all. I have a DD and I always wanted her to have a sister.

I still haven't found time to take the 3 hr GD test, and I'm sure I'll be hearing about that soon. Work has been tricky with all that, & I haven't found the time with all of the other "necessary" though seemingly overlaping appts.

For the roll call, EDD is 7-7-08 with DZ boys.
Oh, I can totally understand how you'd be feeling disappointed. I am happy that my twins are boys, actually, but the only twinge of disappointment I feel is about my daughter not having a sister. I've been packing away her outgrown clothes, separating out the gender neutral stuff (she has lots of that, actually!) and feeling happy imagining these little guys wearing those familiar threads one day. But also feeling sad about the definite girl things that are being segregated away and packed on their own. It drives home the point. If I push myself to say whether I'm happy or not, I'd say yes, this is what I'd choose (if they had to be identical, anyway.) But I feel like them being twins basically decided for us that our family would be "done," and I do feel sad thinking that it's done without another girl. And a little angry that my second pregnancy (which "should" have delivered baby #2, with the chance to opt for a third or not) sort of trumped me, bumping us up to 3 without our "consent," and decided these things for us. Because I really don't think we're going to go for four....

I know, though, at this point that I am not disappointed or angry enough about any of that to change things, had I the power. I feel the sadness and loss, but if I could change things and have a fraternal boy/girl pair, I know in my heart that I wouldn't. I want my MZ boys for sure!!! I am happy about what is happening, just sad at what it excludes. (If I could make changes by wishing, I would, however, choose 2 placentas for them! MZ with less potential for drama would be soooo nice. )

If you were thinking there was a chance of two girls or a boy/girl pair, I can totally see why learning the genders for sure would be disappointing.

I had a hard time finding out the news of two babies in the first place; my short-lived consolation was that MAYBE they'd be a fraternal boy/girl pair. It seems a bit comical now, but my basic attitude was, "Well THAT I could live with, at least." ("If I HAVE to have twins, at least they could be a boy/girl" kind of thing...)

We had found out about having twins on a Saturday (I was 14 weeks along) and we had until Tuesday, when we had a higher level u/s (because they hadn't found a membrane between the babies at the first hospital), to enjoy that brief hope for a fraternal boy/girl set. That second appointment was when we found out for sure that they were identical twins, and either way it would be two of the same "flavor." I was soooooo disappointed at that news. No hope of a boy/girl pair, anymore. (And though I wanted another daughter, if I had to have 3 kids and most likely be finished, I really didn't want to "miss out" on having a son. So I started hoping for boys, but felt very pessimistic about the odds. Which was a weird way to feel, too.)

It was so strange, feeling those things, when before (thinking it was one baby) I had felt so open to either possibility and we'd decided that we'd wait again to find out the gender at birth.

Give yourself some time. It sounds like the overall funk is pretty pervasive at the moment, and I think there's also some element of feeling (with twins) like all these things get "dealt" you somehow, without your consent or knowledge. That feeling has faded for me, somewhat, but I think it still comes up but manifested in different ways. Not that others have so much more "control" or choice in matters, actually, but somehow the shock of twins and the things that can happen to you when you are expecting multiples give rise to those feelings of lacking choice and being "done to."

And just being less comfortable sooner in pregnancy could be a huge mood-dampening factor to explain the blues, as well.

By the way, how do you know they are DZ? Were you charting and you could tell you ovulated twice, so you're pretty sure that's what happened? Because if it's just the fact that they have their own sacs and placentas, they still could be either MZ or DZ (since they're both boys.) And even with ART, it's technically possible that you could have a spontaneous split. (That's how some people definitely implanted with two, to lower the chances of higher order multiples, still have ended up with triplets--DZ twins with one of the pair splitting to form a MZ set!)

I just thought they really couldn't confirm DZ status for certain until after the birth, unless they are a boy/girl pair (and then it's obvious.)

Would MZ boys rock your world too much?
#87 of 163 Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 AM

I should have put di/di boys

Given our methods (fert drugs), its always been strongly assumed that they are fraternal. But you're right, can't know for sure in utero unless it's boy/girl.

Squeezing in the 3 hr this afternoon.

And, for a twin PG, I have gotten off ridiculously easy so far. I really DO feel fantastic all things considered. So the funk is sort of unnecessary. I'm trying to get myself together and organized and hopefully that will help. I got a lot done yesterday and felt fairly accomplished.
#88 of 163 Old 05-02-2008, 04:59 PM

Forgive me for copying and pasting. I also have this post in the multiples forum.

So, today I had a follow-up ultrasound because Monday's ultrasound was showing "low" fluid level for baby A. The ultrasound today showed the same level which is not horrible but just lower than it should be, was before and in comparison to baby B. Plus Baby A has slowed down in growth. Both babies used to be within 1-2 oz's of each other. Now baby A is 3lbs 5oz and baby B is 4lbs. Of course, ultrasounds are not completely accurate but still...... I got the impression from the ultrasound technologist that everything was still OK but when I went upstairs to meet with the OB he was not too happy. Not really worried but just concerned about the fluid and growth discrepency. So, he recommended I get the steroid shots just in the event that I do need to deliver early. I did get it and have to go back tomorrow for one more. He does seem convinced that I will deliver these babies early but I'm not sure exactly what that means. I'm 30 weeks right now. I really want them to stay in there. Plus I've been feeling really crampy lately. No contractions showed up on the NST today and my cervix is very long (4.9cm) so it sounds good in that respect. I'm just worried that at my next appointment (every week now) he'll just say we need to get these babies out.

Honestly, I'm just so tired of thinking so much during this pregnancy. There always seems to be something to worry about or be proactive about or question. I'm at the point where I just want to trust my OB even though I'm sure I could be questioning a lot more.

The good news is that both babies are very active, decent weights and baby A is still head down so I still have a fairly good chance of a vaginal birth.

Gotta run for now. I'll be back to see everyone's recent news!

#89 of 163 Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 AM

Oh, hugs to you Karen. I'm wishing that things get less dramatic and less tense very, very soon.

You speak for me very well with the "tired of thinking so much" paragraph. I have been looking at sooooo many articles on "term" for twins, and the impact of "elective delivery" in uncomplicated twin pregnancies, and also the mono/di factor. My husband is a research librarian and I've been emailing him the citations I want (if I can't easily find full-text articles) and he either obtains them through their databases at the college or through Inter-Library Loan. I'm doing this because I really want to know what I'm arguing for/against and where I stand, in my heart, before I have to have the discussion with my OB, and possibly the perinatologists. Especially before I get to the point of refusing an induction or signing any "against medical advice" forms, you know?

I honestly don't know exactly where I stand, though I can feel where I'm leaning. But all the reading has me a-swaying.

And I feel tired of the proactiveness. And upset that the momentum slants a certain way, requiring me to be proactive. And just upset that my "uncomplicated" pregnancy has so many "issues," even if they never materialize....

Hang in there, and keep with the H2O. (I have never been particularly stellar on that score....I take comfort in Elizabeth Noble's "prescription" for daily water intake being less than Barbara Luke's, and just try to do as well as I can.)
#90 of 163 Old 05-05-2008, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else is having trouble sleeping? I get all twitchy and cant get back to sleep in the middle of the night. Last night I was up from 2 to 4. Finally I just got out of bed and started watching tv. I dont think its that I'm not getting enough excercise, because I am was out doing things in the garden/back yard, and walking all weekend.

I just hate this....I want to sleeeppppp!! :yawning:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page