July Multiples Mamas - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 163 Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had another appointment today and thought I would post an update. The NST revealed two happy, active babies along with some contractions. No surprise there as this past week has been all about the contractions. This morning I was awake for 2 hours dealing with them - blech! But it looks like they're just for practice so far. My cervix has not changed at all so we are still just chugging along with this pregnancy.

I did have a tiny bit of bright red blood this afternoon which I chalked up to my cervix being irritated from the internal. I called the hospital and they think it's the same thing but told me all the things I should watch for and if I felt anything unusual to come and get checked.

I told my dh that I'm hoping my water breaks when I am finally ready to go into labour. I did not experience it with my first two pregnancies and it would be kind of nice to not have to guess whether or not I need to go to the hospital. Dealing with these contractions makes me wonder how I'm going to know when the real thing happens.

Has anyone else really slowed down on the weight gain? I have only gained 1-2lbs in the last month. I was sick for part of it, on bedrest for some and feeling more and more nauseous so I'm sure that's why. My OB is not concerned. I have gained about 40lbs overall, am measuring 38 weeks (I'm 34 weeks) and babies are gaining so I guess all is fine.

devilish_fetish Congratulations on your two boys! With regards to discharge - I wish I could go without a panty liner . So, my vote is it's normal.

AmyC Your baby A is vertex right? Will your OB let you vaginally birth even if baby B is breech? I know my baby A is vertex and baby B is transverse but my OB says most baby B's will move into vertex or breech position and he is willing to deliver a breech baby B.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#122 of 163 Old 05-30-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to one View Post
AmyC Your baby A is vertex right? Will your OB let you vaginally birth even if baby B is breech? I know my baby A is vertex and baby B is transverse but my OB says most baby B's will move into vertex or breech position and he is willing to deliver a breech baby B.

Yes, and yes. I definitely can have a vaginal birth even with baby B breech, but the news I got originally was that if both were vertex, I could labor & birth in the regular birthing rooms at the hospital. So I would have the use of the tub and shower during labor. If the second twin is known to be breech, my understanding is that I would be laboring & birthing in the O.R. (Maybe I misunderstood, and it's just the annoying bit of having to move down the hall to the O.R. before starting to push. Maybe I still could labor in the birthing rooms with water for labor relief. But I'm pretty sure she said the whole thing would happen in the O.R. if the second twin was breech, probably with a double setup.)

The "good" thing is that there's no pressure to have a "just in case" epidural in that situation, and I would be free to be upright and mobile while laboring. I might be able to negotiate using a birthing room for labor, I don't know. (You'd think they'd want to keep the O.R. available in case some other woman in labor at the same time had an emergency, rather than tying the room up with a laboring woman prepared for a vaginal birth....) But I'd love to go in with two vertex babies and avoid all sight of the O.R. entirely!

weight gain....mine has slacked off, I think. I've been inconsistent lately, with my food intake. There are so many things calling for my attention. I'm growing and the twins are growing, but I think I've burned some of my stores rather than growing them entirely from new caloric intake. I'm still eating good things, just probably not as much/as frequently as I should. But then, I'd definitely gained a bit more at my appointment on Wednesday. I'm up about 42.5 lbs now.

I'm 32 weeks today!
#123 of 163 Old 05-31-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyC View Post
Yes, and yes. I definitely can have a vaginal birth even with baby B breech, but the news I got originally was that if both were vertex, I could labor & birth in the regular birthing rooms at the hospital. So I would have the use of the tub and shower during labor. If the second twin is known to be breech, my understanding is that I would be laboring & birthing in the O.R. (Maybe I misunderstood, and it's just the annoying bit of having to move down the hall to the O.R. before starting to push. Maybe I still could labor in the birthing rooms with water for labor relief. But I'm pretty sure she said the whole thing would happen in the O.R. if the second twin was breech, probably with a double setup.)
Similar story here. I will be labouring in the birthing room and when the time comes to push they will just be moving the bed across the hall into the "high-risk delivery room". I took a peek at both rooms while I was admitted into the hospital for bedrest and while the high-risk room was a bit more clinical I think I will be OK doing the pushing part in there. The regular labour room does have a tub and shower but I don't think I will get getting much use of it. I will be set up to have an epidural although my OB is fine with me using a low dose of medication and using it as late as possible. From past experience during my labours I really don't like doing much. As long as I can sit on the edge of a bed or chair, hold onto dh's pockets and rest my head on his chest I will hopefully be OK. Oh yah - and no talking around me

32 weeks! Yay!!!!!

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#124 of 163 Old 06-06-2008, 11:50 AM

Bumping us back up

36 wks on Monday. Still hoping the previa goes away, but I'll know for sure by Wednesday. I have my 1st NST on Wed too. So, on Thursday, I'll either be setting a c/s date or cramming with my hypnobabies scripts. Otherwise I feel great. Not a c/x (that I've felt anyway) yet.

My weight gain has topped off a bit too but I'm not too concerned. They've been big, I'm at a healthy point (~ 40 lbs gained) so even if I don't gain much more I'm satisfied.

Nothing else too crazy going on...trying to get ready but I'm really not there yet.
#125 of 163 Old 06-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worcma View Post
Bumping us back up

36 wks on Monday. Still hoping the previa goes away, but I'll know for sure by Wednesday. I have my 1st NST on Wed too. So, on Thursday, I'll either be setting a c/s date or cramming with my hypnobabies scripts. Otherwise I feel great. Not a c/x (that I've felt anyway) yet.

My weight gain has topped off a bit too but I'm not too concerned. They've been big, I'm at a healthy point (~ 40 lbs gained) so even if I don't gain much more I'm satisfied.

Nothing else too crazy going on...trying to get ready but I'm really not there yet.
Glad to hear everything is going well with you! I'll cross my fingers that your previa disappears. A few weeks ago I still had a marginal one but today it wasn't even really picked up on the ultrasound so I am good to go with a vaginal birth. I'll hope the same for you.

My appointment today revealed two happy babes. The ultrasound estimated both babies at around 6lbs. The contractions I've been having are still not doing anything so I am hoping for a couple more weeks. Both babies are head down as well and they seem to be spooning (girls back to boys chest) .

Not doing much around here. Still just trying to take it easy. A combination of my "modified bedrest" and just not being able to do too much due to my size and comfort level. Whew....this is hard work .

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

#126 of 163 Old 06-06-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear everything is going well with you! I'll cross my fingers that your previa disappears. A few weeks ago I still had a marginal one but today it wasn't even really picked up on the ultrasound so I am good to go with a vaginal birth. I'll hope the same for you.
Can you share how weeks you were when they last saw it and when it went away?? It was still present for me at 32 wks, which I know makes me odds on resolution at around 33%. Needing some positive stories

Jealous you're hanging around. Rest up! I'm still working. Ack.
#127 of 163 Old 06-08-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worcma View Post
Can you share how weeks you were when they last saw it and when it went away?? It was still present for me at 32 wks, which I know makes me odds on resolution at around 33%. Needing some positive stories

Jealous you're hanging around. Rest up! I'm still working. Ack.
Hmmm. let's see if I can remember. At 20 weeks it was a deemed to be partially covering my cervix (not much I don't think). I know at about 27 weeks it was right at the edge. It barely moved over the next few weeks and I was given numbers like 1.5cm from the cervix. Over the next few weeks it moved very slowly - 1/2cm at a time. At 33 weeks it was 3 cm away and at 35 weeks she couldn't find it. I don't think it moved a drastic amount but it is enough to let me attempt a vaginal birth.

Good luck!

#128 of 163 Old 06-09-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I would keep us going for a little while longer. Anyone feel weird being on the July thread? I just know these babies are going to come this month, if not this week! I am now 36 weeks and baby A's head is way way way low. So low that in the u/s last week, my bladder was higher than her head! I can almost feel her shoulders on my pelvic bone. I am sooooo ready! I know I should want to keep them in longer, but I am d.o.n.e. being pregnant. My wife wont let me drive her to work anymore because she wants to be able to come home at a moments notice. We had a scare last week with contractions starting at 11pm and lasting till well into the next day, but I think they were caused by my baby moving and getting head down. She was breech, but decided a vaginal birth was in her future. I am very relieved. We were a hair away from having to schedule the c/s.

Anyone else feeling the pain? How are all my other twin mama's? Has the eating been ok? I have seemed to stop wanting to eat anything at all.

Take care everyone and I will let you know as soon as something happens
#129 of 163 Old 06-09-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyKenzie View Post
Thought I would keep us going for a little while longer. Anyone feel weird being on the July thread? I just know these babies are going to come this month, if not this week! I am now 36 weeks and baby A's head is way way way low. So low that in the u/s last week, my bladder was higher than her head! I can almost feel her shoulders on my pelvic bone. I am sooooo ready! I know I should want to keep them in longer, but I am d.o.n.e. being pregnant. My wife wont let me drive her to work anymore because she wants to be able to come home at a moments notice. We had a scare last week with contractions starting at 11pm and lasting till well into the next day, but I think they were caused by my baby moving and getting head down. She was breech, but decided a vaginal birth was in her future. I am very relieved. We were a hair away from having to schedule the c/s.

Anyone else feeling the pain? How are all my other twin mama's? Has the eating been ok? I have seemed to stop wanting to eat anything at all.

Take care everyone and I will let you know as soon as something happens
Sounds like we're twins . I'll be 36 weeks in two days and I feel sooooo done. I keep thinking I want to hang on for another week or so but then I find myself getting a little disappointed when I don't have any signs of labour. I've been checking for mucous plug, trying to determine a change in these contractions, etc... but every day just seems to be the same. It's weird to think these babies will be arriving in June. I'm pretty sure anyways. My OB starts talking induction at 38 weeks and while I'm not sure I want to go that route that's still only June 25th. July would mean I make it to 39 weeks and I just feel like that's impossible at this point. Not because twin mama's don't do it, just because I feel so done already and can't even imagine it physically or emotionally.

I am barely eating as well. I suffer from a lot of heartburn if I eat too much and the nausea is still there. Nothing sounds good at all.

I'm glad your baby A moved. That must be a huge relief. My baby A has always been vertex but baby B was transverse. I could still do a vaginal birth but she has now moved head down as well so I just feel a bit better about the whole thing.

Good luck this week if anything happens!

#130 of 163 Old 06-09-2008, 10:15 PM

I wanted to say how nice it is to read people's posts. I feel warmed, encouraged, something. (I'm so tired today!)

I feel a bit guilty for feeling done (not really done if it comes down to it, but yeah, uncomfortable and stretched pretty far) at 33 weeks compared to you all soldiering along ahead of me. I tell myself it might be because they are big and I am feeling it a little sooner. Honestly, I really want to make it to July, but I'm not thinking about 40 weeks anymore! (For starters, I think it would be an uphill battle with the peris and I'd rather concentrate on the twins coming spontaneously whenever they come, and hoping that it fits into the timetable everyone seems to think is best for mono/di twins.) I want to make it to the starting dates for Cancer/Crab, at the very least.

Baby B is still tracking at 97th percentile and the pressure was heavy on me to take the 3 hour gestational diabetes test, so I fasted last night and drank the glucola today. I really, really hope I get a phone call tomorrow that says my numbers were great, and I'm just growing big babies. I guess if I find out it's all due to gestational diabetes (I don't see how that could be, given what I've eaten & what I've avoided--I think my instinctive diet would be aligned to the management diet anyway, but what do I know? ), then that will be a good thing to know now, I guess. Win-win? That is cold comfort after doing this wretched thing and then taking the rest of the day to recover.

I realize it was foolish to plan to do the test this morning before my various appointments. First of all, it took longer than I'd allowed for. Secondly, I had a NST scheduled afterwards, and it was the first one that didn't go so well. (Twin A wasn't as reactive as they'd have liked.) I was feeling crappy and I was too far reclined for much of the test, so maybe that played into it.

I got out of the lab at 10:15 and walked to the hospital cafeteria, to find that they stopped serving breakfast at 10:15. I actually got tears in my eyes (not that they noticed) but tried to rebound and find something a la carte to eat. I'd been holding on to the thought of eggs & hash browns, though.... A bagel and cream cheese just didn't sit well with me (basically the type of carb that I've instinctively avoided because they make me feel terrible) and then I went back and they'd put out soup for lunch, so I had some. Still shaking and hungry, I went back through and got a fast food-type burger and a bag of SmartFood popcorn. Then walked to my NST appointment feeling ill.

The strip was "off" enough that the midwife sent me up to L&D to be "properly fed" and be monitored there. The meal was chicken parm with pasta & marinara sauce....again with the kind of carbs I can't tolerate well, and tomato sauce has been a thorn in my side since the first trimester. I didn't want a sandwich with cold cuts (the other option) so I asked for scrambled eggs & toast. And potatoes (they only had mashed.) And grapes, and water.

I ate it up but still was feeling odd. I'm not sure that Twin A's read was ever that great, but they did send me home. I came home and slept for 4 hours.

I'm just hoping that the GD test comes out okay, and that the whole NST thing was related to me being "off," and not anything being off with the twins.

A week ago Tuesday (32 weeks 4 days), twin A was estimated at 4 lb 12 oz and twin B was measuring 6 lb 6 oz. Twin B was right on target with what I was expecting (7-8 oz gain per week since last ultrasound) but twin A had only gained half what I was expecting and that drop on the "curve" he's been holding widened the gap of their disparity to 25%. It's always been 18-20% with both holding their own in the "bigger than average" percentiles.

Doppler cord flow, heart rates, fluid levels, bladder function, and signs of fetal well-being all pointed to no "issues" such as TTTS activity, so I'm not sure to what they might attribute the slow-down. I think since he's still ahead of average, they are less inclined to worry, but it's on my mind.

Given that nagging question in my mind, I wish I'd just done a regular NST (eat and then come in for monitoring) rather than doing it after the glucola test, because it would have been nice to have the reassurance of my normal active, happy babies today. They certainly are active and moving well as far as I can tell....I just wonder about the whole "reactive for the strip" thing and twin A being the one who was having issues.

Cross fingers for me if you can spare any! I should get my results tomorrow...
#131 of 163 Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 PM

Updating:

I am so vindicated. (But at a lousy cost, since the babies and I were the only ones paying it.) Just heard from my OB's office and my bloodwork from the 3-hour was "perfect." No gestational diabetes. Just a consistent 97th percentile twin.

"Doctor Clouseau" can STUFF IT. I'd better not hear any more from him (or better yet, maybe he won't be scheduled for anymore of my perinatologist consults, since he's the only one who's made noise about it and I've seen him twice already.)
#132 of 163 Old 06-10-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Updating:

I am so vindicated. (But at a lousy cost, since the babies and I were the only ones paying it.) Just heard from my OB's office and my bloodwork from the 3-hour was "perfect." No gestational diabetes. Just a consistent 97th percentile twin.

"Doctor Clouseau" can STUFF IT. I'd better not hear any more from him (or better yet, maybe he won't be scheduled for anymore of my perinatologist consults, since he's the only one who's made noise about it and I've seen him twice already.)
Yay! That's great news Amy. Sounds like yesterday was not a great day. But now you can relax about the GD and know that your babes are healthy and doing great.

Having a bad day here. My ds and dd are both home today and it's pouring rain so we are stuck inside. A 5 year old and 3 year old do not always play nicely together in case you were wondering . I am still supposed to be taking it easy, I feel nauseous and just really tired. A few more hours until dh gets home and then I'll have a couple of hours to myself while he takes them to ds's soccer night.

#133 of 163 Old 06-10-2008, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Having a bad day here. My ds and dd are both home today and it's pouring rain so we are stuck inside. A 5 year old and 3 year old do not always play nicely together in case you were wondering . I am still supposed to be taking it easy, I feel nauseous and just really tired. A few more hours until dh gets home and then I'll have a couple of hours to myself while he takes them to ds's soccer night.
Amy - I'm so glad the your GD test came back good. Having that was one of my biggest fears too. I just really didnt want to have to deal with that.

I have been crabby today too. No reason really, I think I am just tired of waking up pregnant. I had my final ultrasound today and even got a 3d picture of baby B (baby A was too low to actually get much from her) and she looks exactly like my son! It was sooo great to see.

I feel guilty wanting the babies out, so I am not ready to take any drastic measures yet, but I am trying to get really really active, and hopefully they will just drop out of me! Even though this is my second labor, I got afraid that I wouldnt know I was in labor soon enough for my sister and m/w to get here. I guess all the contractions just throw me off. And last time my labor really started when my water broke, but I guess that is kind of unusual so who knows.....

Anyway, I'm not taking castor oil yet....but man I might start next week. Anyone think that babies sense when we are done and can come out for us????

I am so glad you all are here, and lets keep eachother posted!
#134 of 163 Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all, I just wanted to say that I "think" (???) I am in labor. I have been having contrax ten min. apart all day, and they are starting to get a little stronger...but who knows...it could just be the way these twins are treating me....I wish I knew for sure. I will keep you posted.
#135 of 163 Old 06-11-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Hi all, I just wanted to say that I "think" (???) I am in labor. I have been having contrax ten min. apart all day, and they are starting to get a little stronger...but who knows...it could just be the way these twins are treating me....I wish I knew for sure. I will keep you posted.
Ohhhhhhhhhh! How exciting! I'll be thinking of you. Keep us posted as much as you can.

I am off to bed after having another NST today showing happy babies along with uterine irritability. I convinced the OB to forget the internal and cancel my quick appt (mostly an internal check) on Friday and reschedule for Monday. Really, knowing I'm dilated the same amount or a bit more is not going to change things so we might as well leave it alone.

#136 of 163 Old 06-11-2008, 11:23 PM

Oh oh OH! Exciting! I'll be thinking of you waiting it out and seeing where it goes.
#137 of 163 Old 06-12-2008, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

well, sorry ladies, false alarm. My contrax stopped around 11pm. I was soo sure, I got really depressed today. I know its still early, but I am just so misserable, I wish I could make them come sooner.
#138 of 163 Old 06-13-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:

A week ago Tuesday (32 weeks 4 days), twin A was estimated at 4 lb 12 oz and twin B was measuring 6 lb 6 oz. Twin B was right on target with what I was expecting (7-8 oz gain per week since last ultrasound) but twin A had only gained half what I was expecting and that drop on the "curve" he's been holding widened the gap of their disparity to 25%. It's always been 18-20% with both holding their own in the "bigger than average" percentiles.

Doppler cord flow, heart rates, fluid levels, bladder function, and signs of fetal well-being all pointed to no "issues" such as TTTS activity, so I'm not sure to what they might attribute the slow-down. I think since he's still ahead of average, they are less inclined to worry, but it's on my mind.
Just wanted to update about this. I went in to have an ultrasound at my OB's office that was supposed to be a biophysical profile without measurements, but the tech did measurements. I did not stop her because I was feeling anxious about twin A having dropped off his usual curve last week when we went to see the perinatologists, and I've been wondering if the widened gap between them was a matter of the measurements being off.

Well, according to the scan, twin A either gained 17 oz in just over a week (while twin B gained a more expected 6 oz), or the measurements for twin A were wrong last week!

The upshot is

A: 6 lb 12 oz
B: 5 lb 13 oz

Right back on track. But oh, a lot to carry around at not quite 34 weeks. I've really, REALLY slowed down in the last week and I guess this is why. My hips HURT!

Baby B still is breech, so I was wrong about that. Seems like he's trying to move down (according to the tech) but Baby A is sprawling and stretching and not "letting" him get down there.

(MollyKenzie, still thinking of you. Sorry for your disappointment....it can't be long, though. I bet your body made some progress. And I'm so glad they turned for you!!!)
#139 of 163 Old 06-13-2008, 02:37 AM

AmyC - glad to hear that everything seems to be working out. It's weird to think about carrying all that baby weight around. After hearing my babies were about 6lbs each a week ago it occured to me that it was like carrying a 12lb baby!

MollyKenzie - sorry about the false alarm. Try to stay positive and know that each day your babies are growing well and you will meet them soon. I know that might not help when you're feeling so uncomfortable .

Speaking of false alarms I am currently trying to figure out what my body is doing. Here I am at 1:30am at the computer timing some contractions and trying to figure out if they're the real thing. They feel more crampy than the tightenings I've been getting for the past 3 weeks. The last 3 hours I spent in bed trying to figure it out but couldn't. I thought a change in position would help. I've been feeling a ton of pressure down there today but really with two head down babies there's gonna be pressure . It's so hard to decide. I don't want to wait too long because it's over an hour drive to the hospital but if we did go we would have to wake our dc's, drive them to a friends house and then tomorrow we would need two different people to take care of them. It just ends up being a big organizational struggle for everyone and I would hate to go ahead with it if it's just more false labour. So, here I sit.......... My instincts say it's not time yet but who knows.

#140 of 163 Old 06-13-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
AmyC - glad to hear that everything seems to be working out. It's weird to think about carrying all that baby weight around. After hearing my babies were about 6lbs each a week ago it occured to me that it was like carrying a 12lb baby!

MollyKenzie - sorry about the false alarm. Try to stay positive and know that each day your babies are growing well and you will meet them soon. I know that might not help when you're feeling so uncomfortable .

Speaking of false alarms I am currently trying to figure out what my body is doing. Here I am at 1:30am at the computer timing some contractions and trying to figure out if they're the real thing. They feel more crampy than the tightenings I've been getting for the past 3 weeks. The last 3 hours I spent in bed trying to figure it out but couldn't. I thought a change in position would help. I've been feeling a ton of pressure down there today but really with two head down babies there's gonna be pressure . It's so hard to decide. I don't want to wait too long because it's over an hour drive to the hospital but if we did go we would have to wake our dc's, drive them to a friends house and then tomorrow we would need two different people to take care of them. It just ends up being a big organizational struggle for everyone and I would hate to go ahead with it if it's just more false labour. So, here I sit.......... My instincts say it's not time yet but who knows.
Karen, just thought I would check in and see how things went last night... I know the feeling. Every day these babies seem to drop more and weight more, so I keep thinking it will be any day but.....

AmyC, I am so glad the babies are doing better than you thought. Keep up the good growing mama!
#141 of 163 Old 06-13-2008, 01:32 PM

Well, looks like another false alarm. It was 4am before the contractions settled enough that I could actually fall asleep. Then dd woke me up at 5:30am. Now to top it off, ds is sick. Fever, headache, upset belly, blah! Poor guy. But now I'm living in fear that our whole household will get sick and I will be sick on top of being 36-37 weeks pregnant or while in labour .

#142 of 163 Old 06-14-2008, 01:15 AM

Oh, I hope you don't get sick! Hopefully you can get some rest. What a stressful time....your husband must feel drained, too.

Let's see, what was I going to update? Oh, I booked a doula today. I know it's late to just be calling around and checking, but I did and it seems like it will work out. We are meeting next week after my OB appointment in town. Crazy timing for this, but there it is.
#143 of 163 Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 PM

Pulling us back to page 1 .

Just an update on me. My dd is now sick but so far dh and I are fine. It seems like a really quick bug. My ds was only out for 1-1/2 days so I'm hoping tomorrow morning has dd back to her old self.

I had a NST this morning and met with my OB. Babies look great. I am 4cm and baby A is very engaged. That is probably why I can barely walk . After the internal check and we were walking out of the hospital I felt a few small gushes of fluid. I'm used to a small amount of urine leakage but this was about 4-5 times and it felt very hot. So I went back up and they told me to put on a pad, walk around for about 30 minutes, come back and they would check the pad. Of course, it was all OK and we think it was just the gel that the OB used for the check, although that has never happened before.

Anyway, my OB also said that I could get induced on Wednesday if I want. I'll be 37 weeks. He is all for me going to 38 weeks but offered the induction because we are over an hour from the hospital (dh is really freaked about me giving birth in the car - not sure why???), etc... He said he would probably just break my water as I am already 4cm. In past labours I have contracted until about 7cm, had my water broken and things still progressed so hopefully the same would happen again. I am not going through with the induction as I really want these babies to come on their own but I can see the temptation . Especially when trying to plan care for our two dc's, the drive to the hospital, making sure I get my OB and not some doctor I don't know, feeling somewhat comfortable again, etc... I would love to have these babies tonight, tomorrow or Wednesday as my MIL is here and can watch the dc's. I did have a bit of extra discharge earlier and there was the tiniest bit of pale blood in the tiniest little piece but I probably shouldn't get too excited. I was even thinking of letting dh near me tonight to see if he could get things moving . We'll see.

How is everyone else doing??

#144 of 163 Old 06-17-2008, 12:18 AM

Wow! You are so close!

I am okay....I had a massage on Sunday and it was good. Not that it fixed my problem, but it showed me I can get relief. I think it's from lying down more (usually on my left side) in the last 2 weeks. There is this place off to the side of my sacrum that is super-tight and really hurts when I walk, when I try to get in or out of bed, basically all the time. A bunch of nerves are connected there, I guess.

The babies are sort of "off" in their positioning (also related to the extra lying down, I think.) Instead of being straight up-and-down (more or less) along my right side the way he has been for so long, twin A is taking up all the room at the bottom of the uterus. His head has moved over to the left side and then his body curves up the right side. Not really transverse, but crowing his brother (the bigger twin) at the top of the uterus. I am so uncomfortable most of the time, I'm struggling to be able to spend time in any positions that might help them regain their better positioning. I sort of feel I'm running out of time....

My mom is in the hospital as of a 911 call late last night. She is okay, but she was complaining of chest pains in such a way that I had to act. (I think she might have been playing things up a bit, in a bid for attention, as she's been making these bids and we've not really been taking the bait....) By the time the EMTs were here, she didn't seem to be in as much pain anymore. But off she went to the ER.

None of her bloodwork showed any cardiac activity, but there was one elevated factor in the panel that could have indicated something like a blood clot, so they did a CT scan today to rule out pulmonary embolism (that could account for chest pain, as well.) There was nothing to indicate this kind of problem, but they did see extensive congestion in a strange pattern, around the perimeter of the lungs. (She has a chronic pulmonary condition, and I had been planning to call her pulmonologist this morning because I was convinced she was coming down with another lung infection even though her lungs have sounded "clear" every time she's been checked recently.)

The EMTs listened to her lungs, as did the nurse at her primary care physician appointment 2 weeks ago, and today the respiratory therapist in the hospital thought her lungs sounded "pretty good." All of this adds up with the pattern of congestion that they saw, which would be hard to hear when listening.

Her pulmonologist is thinking that it's perhaps an MAI infection (a kind of "mycobacterial" infection that generally affects only unhealthy people with compromised immune systems, or extensive pulmonary damage.) It's moderately treatable, but the treatment lasts as long as 18 months and is only about 50% effective, and the side effects are significant enough that it might not be worth treating. It's hard to diagnose and it could take awhile to get clear results from the sputum samples/cultures, too.

This all totally stinks because I was preparing to put her on a plane for Chicago for 7 weeks this Thursday, just so she'd be my brother's responsibility for awhile. But it looks like we totally will have to cancel & reschedule her travel. Augh!!! She has been so mopey and pitiful and attention-seeking lately, seemingly oblivious to the fact that we have more than enough on our plates. (She complains of the heat, and of back pain, and just seems to want attention and pity, which if I were a good daughter, I'd give her, but I just feel resentful and manipulated.)

I think she just realized that by going to my brother's, she was going to miss "the big event" as she told my husband. And this hurt her feelings, and bothered her.

She was being so pitiful about the pain in her chest, really milking it, so I definitely called 911 and talked to the dispatcher. They sent a team. I don't think she realized what was happening until we got her downstairs waiting for the EMTs. She was surprised that I'd called them. By the time they came, she told them it wasn't "as bad," and when the guy asked her to rate her pain on a scale from 1-10 with ten being the worst she'd ever felt (I find those rating things to be hard, myself, to be fair) she said it definitely was uncomfortable, maybe a 3. By the time they were carting her out the door, she was saying it wasn't so bad anymore.

Joe went to the ER and stayed with her until 3 a.m. (!!!), and he'd asked her how her chest pain was. She said it was fine, all calmed down, "But my back is screaming!" She also said, "I guess this means I won't be able to travel this week," which kind of stuck out to us. It just seemed significant that this was one of her first thoughts, in the situation.

None of the bloodwork indicated any kind of cardiac activity, heart attack, heart problem, etc.

However, this lung thing is real and I know there's been something under the radar for awhile that we haven't been able to pinpoint. The doctor said it can take 8 weeks or more for this MAI infection to develop or manifest, so it could have been brewing for awhile. So.....I guess I'm glad this has gone down the way it has. But it all just blows my mind, and it feels so weird to suspect my mother of playing up symptoms and looking for attention and trying to manipulate things in that way. It also frustrates me not to be able to resolve one issue (and relieve one stress) by sending her on to Chicago this week as planned.

I'm going to be 35 weeks on Friday. I DON'T want my mother to be here when I have these babies!!!!
#145 of 163 Old 06-18-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

well, I'm glad to hear from everyone. Amy - I'm sorry about your mom not leaving....I know it would be great if my mother would get on a plane somewhere. Her judgement about me having a homebirth is unbelievable!

I have been losing my mucus plug over the last few days, and last night it got all bloody...good signs says my midwife. She definatly thinks within the next 48 hours. I am sooo excited I made my partner stay home from work today because I want today to be the day.

Wish me luck...I really want these babies out and to meet them already
#146 of 163 Old 06-18-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

well, I'm glad to hear from everyone. Amy - I'm sorry about your mom not leaving....I know it would be great if my mother would get on a plane somewhere. Her judgement about me having a homebirth is unbelievable!

I have been losing my mucus plug over the last few days, and last night it got all bloody...good signs says my midwife. She definatly thinks within the next 48 hours. I am sooo excited I made my partner stay home from work today because I want today to be the day.

not a multiple mama, but I just wanted to say how excited I am for you Molly!
#147 of 163 Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

YAY! Keep us posted!

SAHM to 2 year olds Tesla and Lucius. twins.gif
#148 of 163 Old 06-18-2008, 07:34 PM

Oh, wow!!! I am excited for you, too!
#149 of 163 Old 06-20-2008, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all, I just wanted to let you know while I have a bit of time that both of my babies came wednesday evening. We had a very very fast homebirth where both babies were out in less than 3 hours!!!! My water broke at around 5:30 and Lucy was born head first, weighing 6lbs 2oz at 6:54. She was so fast, but it went really well. Edie was born one hour and one minute later, frank breech (along with a leg that was tucked cross-legged style). Let me tell you...it is hard to push a breech baby out! But she was great and weights 6 lbs 5oz. They are both doing soooo well, and we are so very glad that we got to be at home (I dont think I would have been about to move to the hospital everything was so intense) and the babies are nursing well. Birthing the placentas was tough, I didnt want to do it but now that it is all over, I have to say that I am more glad for the birth and healthy babies than I am to be pregnant.

They were born at 37 weeks on to the day!

I will post more when I have a moment, but so far everything is just great.
#150 of 163 Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 PM

Congratulations on your babies! Yay for a safe birth!

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page