July Multiples Mamas - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2008, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats! I'll have to get twin homebirthing tips from you once you feel up to it!

BTW: Those of us with same sex twins: what are you going to do at the birth to make sure you can tell them apart?

SAHM to 2 year olds Tesla and Lucius. twins.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyKenzie View Post
Hi all, I just wanted to let you know while I have a bit of time that both of my babies came wednesday evening. We had a very very fast homebirth where both babies were out in less than 3 hours!!!!

Yay! Congrats on the arrival of your twins!!!

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
Old 06-21-2008, 04:59 AM

Yay!! Welcome Babies and a big congrats to you mama!!

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 AM

Congrats, Molly! Welcome, Lucy and Edie!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:42 AM

Oh, wonderful news!! That is so great! Our group's first twin births! Congratulations, sweetie. You deserve it.

About the same sex question and telling them apart....we're prepared to do something like nail polish on the toenails or something. Other twin moms have suggested Sharpie, but there's also the option of something like a henna "tattoo." It may or may not be an issue for us at the beginning, since there's always been a 20% size disparity between the twins, but I guess I'm planning on the nail polish option or some other mark as our ace in the hole.

I started a thread on this very topic over in the Parenting Multiples forum...it was awhile back but I got lots of good feedback. You should check it out! I'm interested in seeing if our daughter can tell them apart from the beginning or not. The description of one older sibling who still refers to her brothers by what they are wearing (stripe boy or blue boy) cracked me up!
Old 06-23-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyKenzie View Post
Hi all, I just wanted to let you know while I have a bit of time that both of my babies came wednesday evening. We had a very very fast homebirth where both babies were out in less than 3 hours!!!! My water broke at around 5:30 and Lucy was born head first, weighing 6lbs 2oz at 6:54. She was so fast, but it went really well. Edie was born one hour and one minute later, frank breech (along with a leg that was tucked cross-legged style). Let me tell you...it is hard to push a breech baby out! But she was great and weights 6 lbs 5oz. They are both doing soooo well, and we are so very glad that we got to be at home (I dont think I would have been about to move to the hospital everything was so intense) and the babies are nursing well. Birthing the placentas was tough, I didnt want to do it but now that it is all over, I have to say that I am more glad for the birth and healthy babies than I am to be pregnant.

They were born at 37 weeks on to the day!

I will post more when I have a moment, but so far everything is just great.
Wonderful, wonderful birth story. I am so glad that your homebirth went well and welcome to Lucy and Edie. I was wondering if you were going to be giving birth around the same time I was. Looks like we were only a couple of days apart. All the best and enjoy your little ones!

I have posted my birth story on the main page so you can read it there if you like. I'll be wathing this thread for all the other wonderful twin mama's birth stories!

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 06-27-2008, 07:48 AM

I'm 36 weeks, today. (Who's left here with me, by the way? It's feeling very quiet in the multiples thread!)

On Tuesday, we went for our perinatologist u/s & consult and the twins were a bit hard to measure. Twin A because his head is low, I guess, and Twin B because of his positioning (kept looking up and wouldn't turn his head to the side.) The tech wasn't too sure about the accuracy of Twin B's measurements, I think, because she jumped ahead a screen to look at the calculations and asked me if they usually were about a pound apart....I said yeah (last estimate had them 15 oz apart.) So she stuck with it, I guess.

An imperfect science. Anyway, at 35 weeks, they were measuring at

A: 6 lb, 6 oz
B: 7 lb, 5 oz

Fluid levels were good, babies still growing big, cord flow looked good....all signs pointed to "a-okay." The peri we met with was super-low key, just asked if we had a delivery plan yet (we thought they were going to recommend something and then we'd talk things over with my OB at my appointment on Thursday) and when I shrugged and said we are hoping for a spontaneous birth, and to birth them vaginally, he said, "Okay. Make an appointment for an ultrasound in two weeks and we'll see you then, unless you've had them. But you'll probably have them by then." (Not sure if he meant "probably" because he thought I'd have gone into labor by then, or because he assumes my OB will push an elective birth by then.)

I get the whole "completed weeks" thing mixed up....for instance, I'm 36 weeks today, or 35w7d/36w0d? So that is 36 completed weeks, I think. Each day of the coming 7 is another day toward completing week 37....and when I'm "37 weeks" I'm working in my 38th week. Right? So counter-intuitive!!

Anyway, Tuesday night I had a scary accident involving a knife in the kitchen but I think I'll have to update the details in a regular thread. It was awful but the babies are fine and I'm home again, and mostly fine (healing, a bit uncomfortable, but rattled. I think it was a trauma and I'm feeling traumatized, which only made sense to me after my husband pointed out the fact that it was a trauma....)

Any other updates? How are the new twins doing?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:11 AM

*bump* How are the twin moms doing?

I will complete 37 weeks tomorrow. I woke up sore and uncomfortable today, and I can tell I didn't get enough sleep. (Stayed up late on the computer. Crazy.)

My four-year-old has camp this morning (four hours) so I will try to sleep during some of that. Then my husband is supposed to pick me up and take me into town for a biophysical profile.

I haven't gained much, if anything, the last couple of weeks. Which is weird, because I definitely have started up with the eating again. The ER run and the refusal of food while I was admitted was a little setback, but I've been enjoying good lunches and dinners (and my husband has been cooking eggs for me before work....I make a tray of roasted potatoes in the toaster oven to go with them.)

It surely feels like the babies are getting bigger, whether I'm gaining or not. I am curious to learn their positions, too, at the BPP. I don't know if I'm going to get baby B to turn. (I'd really hoped he would do it on his own by this point, but maybe he just can't?)

I am feeling a little fuzzy on "what to do" once we get the show on the road, as far as birthing. Seems like with all the intense research involved in a multiples pregnancy and decision-making, I haven't really gotten particularly refreshed or informed on labor/birth itself. I have a big question mark in my mind.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:54 AM

Hi, I'm new over here but due with twins next Tuesday, planning on a VBAC. Really I'm hoping for them to come any minute. I have all the pre-labor signs, I just can't seem to quite get started. I'm really happy to have made it this far, but would like to see these babies come out soon!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:41 AM

I'm not due till August but I'm thinking I'm having a July baby. I'll be 34 weeks tomorrow. My u/s last friday at 33 weeks showed my girls at 4 lbs. 8 oz. and 4 lbs. 11 oz which is in the 50th percentile.
THe peri said I'm doing good and I don't need any more u/s and I don't need NST's. BY the way what are NST's?

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

Old 08-06-2008, 10:57 PM

Bumping to see how folks are doing. Are all the July twins here? devilish_fetish, what about your boys? I know the Queen of Carrots got hers awhile back.

We are, I think, growth-spurting it. I thought we had done the growth spurt, but they are doing the exact same thing (frenzied feeding for nearly 48 hours, then marathon sleeping) just a few days after round one, so maybe it's a multi-round thing?

The boys just had their 2 week appointment today and they are gaining nicely. Noel was 7 lbs, 15 oz (I told him he'd have broken the 8 lb barrier if only he hadn't peed....) and Linus was 8 lbs, 5 oz. We had a visiting nurse at the house on Monday and she weighed them as Noel: 7 lb, 12.6 oz and Linus: 8 lb, 1.2 oz just two days ago, so they really are doing well. They had regained their birthweights (almost on the nose) at one week, which was the first confirmation that all was going well in that department.

I was diagnosed with Lyme disease and have been on antibiotics for one week. Crazy, but I finally am feeling the "normal" postpartum fatigue and pains, rather than the ramped-up ones. The normal twin postpartum "feel like dirt" rather than the version of "feel like dirt" I was muddling through before!

The babies are beautiful and I'm really happy with them, but I must say I'm so glad to have them SLEEPING again, after two days of marathon nursing.

Is anyone working hard to get their pair on the same schedule, or any thoughts about NOT doing that? We do a fair bit of tandem nursing, but I prefer nursing them individually and (except during these feeding frenzies when I start to lose any sense of sanity) I am okay with doing demand feeding for the most part. Linus typically sleeps more than Noel, and I feel like I should respect where they are, developmentally. But....the every-hour thing of the constant growth spurt feeding really wiped me out. Insane.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:14 AM

Twins run in my family and every time I get pregnant the thought is always there... could it be??? I've really enjoyed following you all through out this pregnancy. to all of you and I hope all of your babes are doing well!

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Hi Amy! Glad to hear things are going better with you and that the boys are doing well.

Things here have been busy but not super crazy. The hard part for me is trying to manage my older two dc's. Both Sam and Claire have been growing really well and are now about 9lbs. They have a 2 month visit coming up in a little over a week and I am assuming they will still be doing well. Sam weighed less than Claire at birth but he has since caught up and passed her and I think he will continue on that trend.

So far I have been practicing demand feeding so I'm pretty much nursing all the time. Probably more so than a single baby because I don't have the free time to rock, lull a baby to sleep so I choose the easy nursing way. So far, Claire is sleeping wonderfully at night. I think she only wakes up to nurse once in a while because Sam does. Sam wakes up very often and is a very restless sleeper. During the day they switch and Claire becomes the fussier one . I do tandem during the day sometimes but I'm finding that it isn't a big deal to nurse them individually because they are quick nursers. If they each took 30+ minutes I would probably be tandemning more.

Overall, things are good .

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

User Tag List