July Multiples Mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 163 Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok here are the July Multiples I have so far....

MollyKenzie: July 8th DZ girls
Mama_To_One
worcma: July 7, DZ boys
AmyC: MZ boys due July 25
devilish_fetish
bliznetsi74
#2 of 163 Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 PM

: Hey there! I was just thinking of starting this thread tonight too. You beat me to it. I think you responded to my thread in Parenting Multiples about dealing with negative reactions.

The twin news was a complete shock for us as well. My due date is July 10th but I'm assuming they will arrive mid-late June (I hope anyways - meaning I don't want them arriving earlier than that). We haven't confirmed whether they are mz or dz. We will probably have another ultrasound done in the next few weeks.

So far the pregnancy is going alright. I don't love being pregnant as I'm pretty sick still. Everytime I think I leave the vomiting behind me I throw up again. I am trying to eat what I can and make sure I get enough protein. I've read Dr. Luke's book and it makes sense but when you're nauseous and throwing up it's really hard to get 3500 calories in during a day. I think I've gained about 14lbs and I'm 17 weeks so I guess that's not too bad. I am still exhausted all the time but that's because I am not sleeping well at night AT ALL! I wake up hourly to pee. I make sure I lie down every afternoon with dd and even though I don't sleep it's nice to rest.

Has anyone been feeling much movement? I used to think I felt a bit more but it was so hard to tell. I went through a rough patch about a week ago where I was sure I couldn't feel any movement and I was freaking out! It totally coincided with the paragraph I read in a book about one twin dying at 16 weeks (exactly where I was in my pregnancy). I knew my imagination was getting the best of me but I would still lie there praying to feel the babies move. Thankfully, I seem to be feeling tiny movements again but they're still so small and quick that they make you second guess all the time.

I could write tons more as I have so many thoughts going on in my head but I will stop for now. After all, it's 7:38pm and I need to get to bed . I'm not kidding - sigh.......

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#3 of 163 Old 01-29-2008, 10:26 PM

Another July mama expecting twins, here. My due date is something like July 23 (I've also seen July 25 and July 22 on the ultrasound data.)

We've known about the duo (surprise!) for just over a week. I am getting used to the news. I called a girlfriend today to tell her, and she freaked out. (Not in an un-nice way, but just really, really shocked.) I was pretty calm; I can tell I've absorbed and processed a lot of the angst already. The immediate angst, at least. I'm sure different angst lies ahead....

My twins are supposed to be mz. They share a chorionic sac and the placenta, but have their own amniotic sacs inside the one big chorionic sac.

I have no twin literature yet and am not too up on what is recommended....I know a high weight gain (and early--20 lbs by 20 weeks, is it?) and plenty of protein. I'm not so good at calorie counting and portion awareness, so I'm not sure what the gap is between what I'm eating currently and 3500 calories....I'm nervous about it, though.

I have been suffering pretty badly during the early part of the pregnancy, and I thought I'd turned the corner last week only to devolve into chronic vomiting again over the weekend. I ate, only to lose it within two minutes. Really frustrating and draining, not to mention painful.

This was a surprise pregnancy in the first place, so I already was nervous about my lack of pre-conception planning and nutrition. (We very much were conscious with the pre-conception period in conceiving our first child, who will be 4 in March, and I really wanted to do the same if/when we decided to have another. I also wanted to supplement with B6 and really work to avoid morning sickness this time....so I felt blind-sided by the pregnancy and then by the intensity of my sickness.) Anyway, not the best overall mental space, as far as those concerns.

I went to see my doctor today. I knew I was going to be changing care because she is going into private practice (she's a family practitioner who has, up 'til now, attended births. She's just my regular doctor, but the only one I had and I was planning to use a midwife but went to her in the meantime because I was so sick and losing weight, dehydrated, etc.) Then we found out about the twins. She had recommended one particular OB who specializes in high-risk patients and works with a midwife in her practice. So I figured I'd see my doctor today, then make plans to meet the OB and switch over.

Anyway, I found out today that the OB is moving away....this summer. Not sure when (my doctor thought June or July, but it might be August.) We talked about other options, but this news totally deflated me and left me feeling like I'm at square one again, not knowing who I'm going to be seeing, not sure if it's worth it to plan for my care locally or to try to go to one of the larger hospitals (further away) where there's a wider assortment of perinatologists and generally a better chance at being supported for a vaginal twin birth. Of course the closer of the big hospitals is out of my insurance network....

Movement....I've felt some, but it has seemed fleeting and definitely not super-recognizable or frequent. I think the placenta is anterior, so that could affect some things. I guess I'm at 15 weeks, now. Tonight, I've felt a fair bit of movement (since I've been sitting at the computer.) Ghost kicks, still, but there. And from both sides.

I'm still pretty small (except when I actually eat a meal or even just a snack...instant bloat for me, then. My jeans are unzipped now for comfort, though technically they still fit.) But my doctor checked and said it seems just right. Normal measurement (for a singleton, I assume?) would be about 4 cm above the pubic bone, and I was measuring 6 cm.

Mostly, I'm just trying to find things I can tolerate and to keep food down. I hope that things get easier soon.
#4 of 163 Old 01-30-2008, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Amy - I just wanted to say that I experienced the same sort of thing with morning sickness. It seemed like around week 14/15 I started throwing up again...however, if I was able to eat mass amounts of protein, I didnt feel sick. My partner finally started force-feeding me and then things got a lot better.

If you are still looking for literature I have Elizabeth Noble's book "Having Twins" and I really like it. I think its on the Parenting Multiples resources list too. She has a nice balance between being aware of some of the pitfalls of a multiple preg. but also saying that we can still have a completely healthy, full-term, pregnancy. And also, I am sorry about the hard time finding a practitioner who will support you in the birth you want. I feel soooo lucky that we can try for a homebirth because it seems like the chances of a c-section go up so much when you go the hospital with twins. I guess because so many of them have at least one breech baby. In my area there isnt a single ob who will vaginally deliver breech.

Movement - I have been feeling more and more, but mostly from baby A, who is in front. I can feel her/him much better, so it is really exciting when I feel the other one in back. The movement is still few and far between, but unmistakeable. I have to say, I have been a lot less freaked out about having two since I started feeling movement. I think that helped me a lot to get excited instead of dread the work coming up.

I dont know how much weight I have gained yet (we dont own a scale and my m/w doesnt weigh me) but I do know I lost at least 10 lbs in the first trimester. I think I am starting to gain a little now though. Someone at the store last night told me I looked closed to my due date! I'm only 17wks! I guess I started out a little big, but seriously!

Mama to One - stop reading that stuff right now movement isnt supposed to be regular for awhile now I dont think. I hope you are able to feel something soon though.

Well, gotta go, I have to call and find out why my work hasnt sent my w2's yet!
#5 of 163 Old 01-30-2008, 10:16 PM

AmyC - sorry you're having to find new care during your pregnancy. That's one little stressor you don't need. I don't calorie count either. I just know that I am probably not near 3500 seeing as I'm not eating a whole lot more than I was before I was pregnant. Some of the books I've read recommend a 24lb weight gain by 20 weeks. It's hard to find a balance treating this like a normal pregnancy but knowing that it's also not a "normal" pregnancy - kwim? I hope you feel better soon. I've been having a rough couple of days and throwing up a few times each morning. It sucks .

MollyKenzie - Don't worry - I've put the books away for now. I think I read bits and pieces of about 4 different ones and they all said the same kind of things so now I am going to sit back and just grow these babies for a bit. I don't think I look like I'm due yet but I definitely have that pregnancy belly. I probably look about 6 months along.

I will hopefully meet with the OB in the next few weeks and then I will have a better idea of what the next few months will bring. I will definitely be having a hospital birth as there's no other options here but I do have a chance at a vaginal birth as long as baby A is vertex. I can still continue shared care with my midwife and I have an appointment next week so we will be able to hear the heartbeats again.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#6 of 163 Old 01-31-2008, 04:41 PM

My doctor (who isn't going to be my doctor!) remarked that with twins, all the doctors around here (there are 3 OBs in town) are willing to deliver the second one vaginally even when breech, if you've already birthed the first one. She said it really matter-of-factly, which was a relief to me to hear. She said on the other hand, if the first baby coming is breech and the second is vertex, no one will deliver vaginally because of the chance that they could catch their chins on each other as the first one descends. ?

I see what she means, but would that happen if they are in their own membranes? (Or is it not much of a division--just a membrane to keep them from entangling cords with each other, but totally squishy and possible for them to hook chins? Probably so.) For that matter, with diamniotic twins, does the water typically break one bag at a time, or what? (I'm not really asking anyone, here. I know I need to just get my hands on some decent twin resources and answer some questions for myself!)

It amazes me that (I suspect) doctors won't deliver a vaginal breech singleton, but they DO deliver second twins breech. (I'd assumed they would try to turn or reposition the second, and maybe they do. I don't know.)

My doctor mentioned that if I'm very committed to delivering vaginally if possible, I might want to consider switching my care to a tertiary care center. Her point was that the perinatologists are more experienced with twin deliveries and things are more likely to work out. Of our reasonably local options (neither of which would feel local while driving in labor, but...), she recommended one much more highly. BUT, if I were to go in to our hospital for a complication like pre-term labor or to need emergency transfer, the automatic hospital destination would be the other one, which is an hour closer.

So the question is whether to invest in the "nicer" birthing environment & work with a team there and then risk transferring to a completely different place, with no previous OB contact, if some serious complication were to develop unexpectedly.

The other thing we've kicked around is the possibility of me moving to stay with friends who are closer to the "nicer" hospital. My husband could keep working & living at home and then come at my call. But then, when would I go? And would this even be doable or comfortable? (This is just something we've talked about when trying to wrap our heads around what we're going to do, not something we've broached with said friends. Or anything.)

The nicer hospital is in-network for insurance; the closer hospital is not. I think we'd be covered if we were transferred in an emergency situation, but I don't think we could just start setting up our care over there (at the closer tertiary hospital) even though my doctor recommended that course of action.

I haven't wanted to talk to any friends about this, or post anything, just because it's still a huge question mark.

I guess the OB who's leaving town is leaving in July, which leaves the question of WHEN? If it's at the end, she could agree to cover me, since my twins most likely will come a bit before the due date (as opposed to after.) But I think I'm supposed to leave the negotiations to my doctor, who can speak directly to her (or email) about my situation, rather than me just trying to call the receptionist in the office.

But the question mark remains, as we wait.
#7 of 163 Old 01-31-2008, 04:47 PM

I really was looking for this thread just to post that I talked to my brother last night, and his middle son (age 5) heard that we are expecting twins. He offered us his name suggestions: Lightning and Mercury.

I laughed, such a delight. Even nicely gender-neutral. So much of a load off our minds!
#8 of 163 Old 01-31-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to one View Post
It's hard to find a balance treating this like a normal pregnancy but knowing that it's also not a "normal" pregnancy - kwim? I hope you feel better soon. I've been having a rough couple of days and throwing up a few times each morning. It sucks .
I totally know what you mean. Elizabeth Noble talkes about the "nocebo" effect of twin pregnancies. Before women had ultrasounds, they most likely didnt know they were having multiples until they delivered, and the babies had a much higher rate of being perfectly ok. But now that we are treated as "high/er risk" there are a lot of problems. She says its the opposite of taking a pill that is nothing but you think its something. Things go wrong because they are told they are going to go wrong. I am trying really hard to treat the babies well, eat enough etc., but I also just want to remind myself that these babies came to me naturally and they can leave me (as in birth) naturally too. I also cant stop worrying about every little twinge and cramp though....I have been sooo much more crampy with these guys!

Amy I just wanted to give you many : I think these decisions must be so hard to make right now. I was just reading on the parenting multiples thread about a woman who just found out she was having twins and freaking out because her husband is in the military and they are in korea and it sounds like she is really really scared. I can totally relate, and I feel like we must have it sooo much better. At least we have some choices.

Do you have to make a decision right away about all this stuff? Maybe let the news sink in for a moment and do some reading and then see how you feel in a week or so.

Also, I dont see why you cant call the ob you want's office. I mean the worst thing they could say is that they dont know or you would have to call back or something. If it would make you feel better to get into a little action on this, then I say make the call.

I get to hear the babies tonight. My midwife is coming over, hopfully ds will cooperate at night time and be asleep when she gets here. I am actually not really sure if it will be that eventful of a visit, but at least we get to hear the babies. Baby A's heartbeat is significantly fater than baby B's, so she is laughing at the possibility that the old wives tale is true and we have one boy/one girl. All I know is that if I end up with three boys under three, I might go crazy!
#9 of 163 Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 PM

AMYC If I remember correctly you live near me? VT/upstate NY? What you are writing sounds very familiar to what is happening at my local hospital anyway (Bennington,VT). If it is Dr. P that you are talking about her last day is July 31st. I just saw her today for my post D&C visit (I was due in July too ) Anyway if you are in my local area, which I think I remember feel free to PM me b/c as a doula I have a good handle on the area providers/hosptals etc. Best wishes!
amy

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#10 of 163 Old 02-01-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amydoula View Post
AMYC If I remember correctly you live near me? VT/upstate NY? What you are writing sounds very familiar to what is happening at my local hospital anyway (Bennington,VT). If it is Dr. P that you are talking about her last day is July 31st. I just saw her today for my post D&C visit (I was due in July too ) Anyway if you are in my local area, which I think I remember feel free to PM me b/c as a doula I have a good handle on the area providers/hosptals etc. Best wishes!
amy
Oh, HI!!! Thanks so much for writing! I will PM you but I have to clean out my PM box first, and so it might take me a bit to get to it.

You are remembering clearly. I am in NY very close to you, and we definitely are talking about the same hospital situation. I am glad that Dr. P is here through the 31st....with twins due July 20/23/25 (I'm not sure which date they actually settled on from the u/s and I didn't have any records of dates of my own, this time) I should deliver sometime before she leaves. I mean, even if I were to go all the way to 40 weeks, it seems unlikely I'd go much longer than that. (Right???) Maybe she'll be willing to take me on. I know she's not taking new patients, but from what I've heard, that's been people who are not yet pregnant who wanted to get on board with her.

I definitely would like to ask you about her, and some other things.

I guess I don't understand why the local midwives (the CNMs who deliver at the hospital) don't do twin births. Or maybe it's just the fact that my twins are monochorionic and so that factor risks me out of their care off the bat. My doctor gave me a reason about the monitoring (knowing which heartbeat was which), and after I thought about it, it didn't make much sense to me. I mean, once they start monitoring for the twin-to-twin transfer thing, it could be through the techs at the hospital for the scans, anyway. That shouldn't interfere with or preclude regular midwifery care as long as things are proceeding normally, I should think. Maybe my doctor was wrong.....

On another note, I contacted B. about "Trust Birth" meetings the other day. So maybe I will see you if she gets a meeting together in the next couple of weeks. (I need to check my email re: that.)

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, Amy.

Thanks again for reaching out, and for your willingness to talk about the doctors and the area.
#11 of 163 Old 02-01-2008, 02:10 PM

AmyC Yes, I think she will take you on if you call her soon and explain you will be due before she leaves, and with twins you probably would not go past your due date. The midwives can't take on twins for liability, in case of an issue. They are great otherwise though, they are who I use regularly. The only reason I even saw Dr. P was b/c I needed a D&C. I'd be happy to talk about other hospitals, providers and the new OB who will hopefully be coming on to take Dr. P's place. B mentioned that someone had contacted her about starting Trust Birth up again. I definitely want meetings but for me, its just too soon after my loss. I will join back in again though when I'm mentally ready. Thank you for your kinds thoughts, I'm doing ok, just counting the months till we can try again.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#12 of 163 Old 02-01-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

This is on a totally different topic...but I just wanted to share about my m/w appointment last night. I got all freaked out because she could only track down one heartbeat, we heard the other a couple of times, but they they swam away so werent able to get a good read....then, after a long time, she moved back around and went to the same area as she found the first, and it was a different heartbeat, then she found the first, faster one, and they were both there. The were cuddling together!!! My little guys needed some lovin' and they were cuddling. How cute is that!
#13 of 163 Old 02-05-2008, 05:39 PM

Thought I would move this thread back to the first page . How is everyone doing?

Knock on wood, but I think the constant nausea is starting to lift. Instead of the full blown nausea that I would rate a 10 it's more like a 3-4. That's a huge improvement and I can actually get some things done. It's a huge relief. I've been feeling more and more movement lately but I think it's just the one baby on my right side. Maybe I can't feel the other baby due to placenta location? I go for my midwife's appointment tomorrow so we'll hopefully get a chance to hear both heartbeats.

So, are you guys doing anything different because it's a "multiple" pregnancy? I was just thinking of this the other day and trying to find the balance because I also want this to feel like a normal pregnancy. So far I've been treating it like a normal pregnancy except for the amount of food I've been trying to consume. For my singleton pregnancies I just ate whatever and whenever I wanted and I gained about 25lbs. This time I'm trying to gain more weight and trying to increase the protein intake. I'm also making sure I sit down and rest a bit more. When the nausea was at it's peak that wasn't a problem but now that I feel a bit better I feel this pressure to get some things done before I get too big and tired again. I'm also being really aware of my body and watching for signs of premature labour. I know it's kind of early for that but I'm paying attention just the same.

As for my vent.....I am so sick of peeing every hour - including nighttime! And it's such an uncomfortable "have to pee" feeling. Blah! No pain or anything and urine test came back negative so I think it's jus the extra weight on my bladder already.

MollyKenzie - that's so cute about the cuddling together. BTW..Lightning and Mercury are great names .

AmyC - any luck on finding care?

#14 of 163 Old 02-06-2008, 04:15 PM

I thought I would post another update as I had my midwife appointment this morning. Everything looks/sounds good. After some searching she was able to find two distinct heartbeats, one around 140 and the other around 156. I've gained a total of 13lbs and I'm 18 weeks. It's quite a bit less than the recommended 24lbs by 20 weeks but I'm gaining at a rate of about 2lbs/week and I've already gained twice as much as I did at this point with my two singleton pregnancies so I'm just going to rest assured that I'm doing alright.

I have an ultrasound set up in a couple of weeks and we'll be able to see the babies again. I had an ultrasound done at 14 weeks and she showed me the report today. It said something about a slightly higher than average amniotic fluid level. My midwife didn't discuss it with me but after doing my own research I think it can be more common in twin pregnancies, where the uterus is growing faster than normal. It can also be a sign of certain defects but I am not going to go there. I'll feel some relief once the major ultrasound at 20 weeks is complete.

My midwife also had the Elizabeth Noble book available so I have some more reading material.

So, can you guys come out of hiding and keep me company?

#15 of 163 Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 PM

I'm here. I'm glad you had a good appointment!

So Elizabeth Noble's book & Dr. Luke's book are kind of the prominent pair? That's where the recommendations for early & high weight gain come from, right? I couldn't remember the "crunchier" twin book, but I think it's the Noble book.

I have been dragging my feet on looking them up and ordering them...not sure why. I do have a lot of questions and would probably be happier if I had a reliable reference in hand, in general.

I'd also like to get the Mothering Multiples book.

I just got a call this afternoon that Dr. P (the one who is leaving town at the end of July) will take me on. I'm so happy and relieved. I guess I have extra information gathered if for some reason it doesn't pan out, but I am pretty sure I will like her a lot.

I am going in for an appointment next Tuesday, I think. I'll meet her and get to talk about her philosophy and care, get a feel for her. Up to now, it's all been stuff I've heard about her from others.

As far as doing things differently this pregnancy....I'm not sure. I feel like my lack of reading & study is different, and I feel guilty about it (like I should be much more informed.) I feel like I'm coasting and taking things for granted. I am not sure how much protein is recommended, or how close/far I'm coming, etc. On the other hand, this may mean that I'm not really treating this like a "multiple" pregnancy. But somehow, it feels more like ignorance & avoidance than like a conscious choice to avoid making it abnormal or high risk by default.

This pregnancy definitely FEELS different. I feel like I'm going straight from the 1st trimester to the 3rd, in terms of discomfort. I remember a nice 2nd trimester honeymoon last time, which doesn't feel like a physical possibility this time. I guess it's all relative, but I find myself feeling discomfort (even just from the size of my belly, and how easy it is to get full fast and have heartburn) much earlier this time.
#16 of 163 Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 AM

Hey Amy. Those two books did tend to be the better ones of the ones I read. I borrowed one from the library and one from my midwife. They were interesting to read but I don't think they changed too much in terms of what I'm doing besides trying to eat a bit more and rest. I'm eating as much as I can and trying to make the calories count and I think that's about all I can do. If you've researched in the past with your single pregnancy a lot of the same information applies. The Mothering Multiples book I borrowed from my LLL group and I'm betting that book will be handy to have kicking around after the babies are born and we're nursing.

I'm glad you were able to get some care. Hopefully, you get a good vibe from her when you finally meet her. I've heard tons of great stuff about the OB I'm being set up with, but like you, I haven't met him yet so I hope when I do it's a good meeting.

#17 of 163 Old 02-13-2008, 12:18 PM

Joining in! I'm due with 2 on 7-7-08. I'm feeling GREAT, actually much better than my singleton PG. Hoping (and willing myself) that it'll stay that way. I've been doing OK with weight gain but I'm trying all that I can.

AmyC - if you do get Luke's book, I'd concentrate on the nutrition chapters. The other parts seem pretty extreme (ex. I just read last night that with twins, a PG should take two naps a day and it's most advisable to stop working at 28 wks. I mean, sure if its indicated, but as a matter of course, seems a bit much)
#18 of 163 Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all! Just wanted to let you know that I had my mid-preg. u/s today and there are two girls in there!

Lucy and Edie!
#19 of 163 Old 02-14-2008, 03:49 PM

I responded to this when I first saw it earlier today, but my computer has been having connectivity issues and I guess the message didn't go through. Grrrrr!

OH! Lucy and Edie! I love your choices and somehow you posting their names made your news seem even more real! Wow. Congrats and it is so exciting and sweet to read your post. Big smile coming at you from me!
#20 of 163 Old 02-14-2008, 04:06 PM

Hey, by the way, does anyone know how you should compute weight gain? I mean, I lost weight during the first trimester when I was not keeping anything down and burning up a lot of body fat. (Lots of ketones in the urine, perpetuating the nausea cycle, etc.)

And I didn't even have a prenatal appointment after confirming the pregnancy with a home test, until I went in to see my family practitioner after having been to the ER for IV fluids when I was maybe 12 weeks along. (Didn't have a handle on my dates then, and I haven't gone back and figured out when that first visit was. At the time, I told the ER staff I was 11 or 12 weeks pregnant.)

So my doctor just went off my weight from my last physical, which happened to have been a few weeks before we conceived. However, I know that my weight had shot up in the month since that....over Thanksgiving and then I tested for the pregnancy and just was hungry all the time. So I was thinking of that weight (what I weighed in as at home when I found out I was pregnant) as my "starting weight," even though my doc's official count was the lower weight from my last physical.

So by my home scale, while dealing with hyperemisis, I lost a total of around 18 pounds. My doctor had me down as losing 10, I think.

(I'm sorry for all the detail....bear with me!)

I have started gaining weight, which is good given I'm approaching the middle of a twin pregnancy (17 weeks) but I'm not sure how to gauge my progress. I don't know that I can attain that goal of 20 or 22 lbs by 20 weeks, but do I just start from my "starting point" (or low point) of a few weeks back and count the weight I've gained since then? Or do I go either with my or my doctor's starting weight and wait to reach that before I officially have gained ANYTHING?

I know this is just semantics in some ways, and what matters is reality. But I'd like to know how to interpret my progress based on those best odds weight gain recommendations that get passed around. It seems to me that if I'm just breaking even now, and have gained maybe a pound or two (or nothing yet, if you go by my weight in December when I discovered the pregnancy), that actually does make a big difference than if I can count the ~13 pounds I've come up since I was able to get the hyperemisis under control and start gaining again, rather than losing.

I understand if nobody knows the answer; I'm not sure who I should be asking. And I know, it sounds like one of those "When does the first trimester officially end?" questions. Like, what does it matter? But this sort of matters to me because I don't want to feel this "false" sense of security if I'm interpreting things badly and I'm actually still at a zero sum total as far as true weight gain. Even though I know this is reality and I'm just trying to focus on an "onward and upward" approach.
#21 of 163 Old 02-14-2008, 05:56 PM

worcma - Welcome!! Looking forward to getting to know you over these exciting next few months! Glad you're feeling well.

MollyKenzie - Glad everything went well at the ultrasound. Two girls - yay!! Beautiful names too. I'm hoping to find out the gender so we can settle on some names. Right now we have 4-5 names floating around and go back and forth deciding which ones go the best together and with ou other dc's.

AmyC - OK, I grabbed my Dr. Luke book and this is what I can interpret and is my totally non-medical opinion. Were you average weight before? Underweight? Overweight? In Dr. Luke's book she says that if you were underweight or lost a lot of weight due to sickness you should make up that weight as soon as possible. This is more critical if you were underweight before. So, I would assume that if you were underweight you should calculate your weight gain from your lowest number (after being sick and before gaining weight). I am actually slightly "underweight" according to many sources but I've always been that way so even though I lost 2-3lbs due to sickness I just calculate based on my pre-pregnancy weight before i got sick. I was 134lbs, went down to 132lbs and now weigh 153lbs which is a total gain of 19lbs. She recommends 25lbs by 20 weeks, 38lbs by 28 weeks and a total of 40-56lbs overall by the end of pregnancy.

She also uses BMI to calculate how much you should be gaining per week. If you were comfortable giving me your height (inches) and weight (lbs) I could tell you what she says based on your BMI. I think I'm supposed to be gaining about 2lbs/week.

Now, all that said, it seems very formal and set up so that you can't necessarily succeed. I mean everyone's body is different right? Keep in mind too, that if you are feeling better and eating more now you might gain faster than you expect. I thought for sure I wouldn't make 25lbs by 20 weeks but over the past 4 days I gained 5lbs!!

#22 of 163 Old 02-21-2008, 06:21 PM

Hi ladies,

I hope you are all well. I am keeping busy here. Still very tired and nauseous and starting to feel big and uncomfortable already. And I'm only 20 weeks! I have my 20 week ultrasound and meeting with the OB tomorrow which I am looking forward to. I am a little nervous about the ultrasound and hope everything looks OK. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to find out in terms of babies health, size, position, gender, etc.... through the ultrasound technician. She/he may not say anything and I will have to wait to discuss with the OB but he probably won't get the report until after my appointment with him. I really don't want to wait 2 weeks to make sure everything is OK. After tomorrows appointment I will have appointments and ultrasounds every 2 weeks! It seems so excessive and I know many MDC members would refuse so many ultrasounds but honestly, while I trust my body in many ways, I don't think I would be comfortable refusing "normal protocol". I don't know. I will see how tomorrow goes and see what the OB says. If nothing else, it should make the rest of this pregnancy fly by.

Not much else going on. One baby is quite active but the other one only makes him/herself known every few days it seems. Sometimes I forget there are two in there .

#23 of 163 Old 02-22-2008, 03:08 PM

Hi there! I forgot to thank you for your response to my weight gain questions, before. I have had such trouble with pages loading in (or not) that posting is sometimes too much trouble...

I hope you get a chatty tour guide for your ultrasound! Even though you don't get "meaningful" information from them, the whole experience is nicer. I remember in our 14 week u/s (that was supposed to be dating things for us and actually discovered the surprise--Twins!), the tech really was kind and patient and narrated what was onscreen. Case in point: she remarked about the placenta and that they were in one sac and that she could not detect a membrane between them. There was no slant or spin on that detail, no commentary about it (I didn't even know that was an "issue" until I got home and read a brief little blurb about twins in a general pregnancy book), but the info was there. Granted, after I read what it meant I ended up worrying about that until we went to a different hospital for a higher level scan 3 days later, but hearing from the tech is just nicer overall than watching in relative silence. And that first tech was reassuringly chatty while not really telling us anything or interpreting anything.

Update on me: I am 18 weeks and we had an ultrasound & perinatologist consult scheduled for next Thursday, but now that I've switched OB's she recommended that I go to a different medical center for the same services (since it's the transfer hospital in case of emergency, anyway, and it's a 1 hour drive rather than 3 hours.) All of which is fine with me, and makes sense, because this consult will be the basis of setting up our protocol for monitoring for TTTS, etc. and this is the hospital that will be working with us through that, and especially if any big risks materialize. So, it's all good. Except the second hospital still hasn't called to set up the appointment. My husband is stressing about this more than I am, because his schedule at work is filling up and he wants to know what block of time he needs to keep clear. Plus, we're assuming this has to be done between 18 and 20 weeks, so that's kind of now! And we're both reluctant to cancel the other appointment until we have something down to replace it, though I really don't want to drive up there and invest further in a place that won't be working with us throughout the pregnancy.

It always feels like something is up in the air with us!

I also don't know what to think as far as timing because up until this week, I was interpreting my weeks as starting on Tuesdays (I'd have been 18 weeks on Tuesday of this week.) But that was based on an earlier due date and it's probable that my 40 weeks really is up on July 25 instead, which means I'm 18 weeks today. So maybe there's a little more leeway with the 18-20 week thing, but I'm still not sure what to think. And maybe the ultrasound doesn't HAVE to be in that exact window....I dunno!

Joe has asked me to call the medical center and start asking about how soon we can expect to be scheduled (we were told our office faxed my info on Tuesday) and I looked online but their directory didn't include a phone number for Maternal-Fetal Medicine. Or even Obstetrics. I guess I can call the general number....I've just been dragging my feet thinking someone's going to call to set up the appointment and then preregister me, but so far no go.

We did, however, get an almost immediate call-back this morning for scheduling a service appointment after calling about a malfunction on the water-dispenser on our new fridge. Go figure! Better service on an appliance!

I actually have had a depressing amount of vomiting in the last week (not nearly anything approaching the hyperemisis, but still frustrating.) I think it has been a result of not getting enough calories, or maybe enough protein, frequently enough on those days. I am not dealing with constant nausea, I mean. But it's been really sketchy. And I had to be at an appointment with my mom (related to her) that lasted 3 hours and all I had was peanut butter crackers and some herbal tea and it just wasn't enough. It took me the rest of the day to normalize, and I actually had to take one Zofran to break the cycle because by that time I was puking up anything/everything. I spent the day in bed, then ate lots of chicken stir fry with veggies and brown rice (which is my standard breakfast, too, these days) and finally felt okay.

The next two days have been okay.

I need to get some miso so I can make soup at lunchtime....that sounds good to me. We had some in the fridge, but I think we threw it out when our last fridge died. I need some more variety in what I eat, and there still are so many things that just don't appeal to me, at least not yet. (Maybe we multiple moms can post some menu and snack ideas, here!) I also need better afternoon snack ideas so I have a chance of feeling better by dinnertime. I'm sure napping would help that, too. Heh!
#24 of 163 Old 02-22-2008, 03:16 PM

I meant to add that my twins don't seem too terribly active. I have "heard" from both of them, and the one on my right is more active (in comparison) while the one on the left seems to go every couple of days or so. But I'm not getting lots of activity from either. It might be a result of an anterior placenta, or generally mellow babies? Or maybe it's early yet (but I've been able to feel movement for a long time, it's just not frequent and it tends to be short-lived, even when startlingly strong.)
#25 of 163 Old 02-26-2008, 09:50 PM

I thought I would post to try to keep this thread active.

Since I last posted we found out we are having boy/girl twins and everything looks/sounds good. Very exciting!

Anyone else a little worried about how big they're getting? It's not just about weight gain, although I've already gained about 22-23lbs. I just feel so big and uncomfortable. I can't even begin to imagine how I'm going to be feeling over the next 3-4 months. What the heck am I going to wear? I only gained 29lbs with ds and 32lbs with dd. I pee all the time. Sometimes I pee and two seconds after I go I'll move a weird way or crouch down and more leaks out (sorry, TMI). I honestly worry about how I'm going to deal with that issue as I get even bigger.

Other than that, I bought a used double stroller last week so we have that put away for now. It locks both infant seats in it so I think that will be handy when I'm out and about on my own with the dc's. All 4 of them! Yikes!!! I still want to get a diaper backpack as well as a good nursing pillow.

AmyC - any luck getting an appointment yet?

#26 of 163 Old 02-27-2008, 12:21 AM

Hello. Tomorow will be 19 weeks for me. I'm due with twins July 23rd. We've gotten the negative reactions, but more for a different reason. We're actually planning a homebirth, and that seems to shock people WAY more than the fact that there's two... We've gotten the "double trouble" remarks, etc, but when they ask "what hospital" and i say i'm having them at home, they treat me like i'm stupid! It really iks me!

I STILL have the morning sickness, though not nearly as bad as it was the first 4 1/2 months. We're pretty sure they're DZ, as we did IVF, but apparently there's a slim chance that they are MZ. We know that one of them is a boy, and the other had the cord between it's legs, so we've heard both boy and girl for that one. We're naming the boy Lucius and if we have a girl (like i'm hoping we are) then she'll be named Jezebel. If we have a second boy, we're thinking about Tesla for him... but it's still undecided. We've been having girl feeling since before we knew we were having twins.

I'm DEFINITELY feeling kicks! lol. I've been feeling movement since about 9 weeks, but now they are definitely kicking. Our ? baby (a) moves and kicks the most. Lucius kicks a lot less, unless dh is touching my belly... he's gonna be a daddy's boy, i can tell! .

Any one else concerned they're not gaining enough weight? The twins are both growing right where they should be, and i'm 19 weeks but measuring 26 1/2 weeks, but i've only gained 10, maybe 15 pounds. I'm gaining inches (can't see my toes anymore) but not pounds... Any one else in this same boat? It just seems like at almost 6 months i should have gained more weight... Of course, it doesn't help with everyone saying "oh, you're so small, especially for twins!":

Anyways, just saying hey. It's good to see other people preggy with multiples.

SAHM to 2 year olds Tesla and Lucius. twins.gif
#27 of 163 Old 02-27-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilish_fetish View Post
Any one else concerned they're not gaining enough weight? The twins are both growing right where they should be, and i'm 19 weeks but measuring 26 1/2 weeks, but i've only gained 10, maybe 15 pounds. I'm gaining inches (can't see my toes anymore) but not pounds... Any one else in this same boat? It just seems like at almost 6 months i should have gained more weight... Of course, it doesn't help with everyone saying "oh, you're so small, especially for twins!":

Anyways, just saying hey. It's good to see other people preggy with multiples.
I've had people tell me that I don't look big enough to be carrying twins. I remind them that I'm only halfway there and many people carrying their first babies are just beginning to show. I don't know, I feel huge. I have gained weight but it's all right in my belly and I can't see my toes anymore. I also can't reach straight down to put on my socks/shoes. You're really only about 4-1/2 to 5 months along though right? And I think the larger weight gain usually happens in the 20-something weeks.

I feel your pain on the morning sickness. It's just so tiring.

We're still tossing names around but we're narrowing it down to a couple. Not ready for sharing yet though .

#28 of 163 Old 02-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to one View Post
I've had people tell me that I don't look big enough to be carrying twins. I remind them that I'm only halfway there and many people carrying their first babies are just beginning to show. I don't know, I feel huge. I have gained weight but it's all right in my belly and I can't see my toes anymore. I also can't reach straight down to put on my socks/shoes. You're really only about 4-1/2 to 5 months along though right? And I think the larger weight gain usually happens in the 20-something weeks.

I feel your pain on the morning sickness. It's just so tiring.

We're still tossing names around but we're narrowing it down to a couple. Not ready for sharing yet though .

Next week will be the last week of 5 months for us. So when i hit 21 weeks, 5 months will have passed, but i'll be in my 6th month. It's always really weird figuring out how far along people are, because we think of pregnancy as "9 months", but it's 40 weeks, which is 10 months. : I know, uber confusing.

The morning sickness was AWFUL. I was literally vomiting everyday, 2-12+ times a day. i know i lost alot of weight. I started to get BONY! The zofran helped some at first, but then it didnt really. Now i'm only vomiting a few times a week. Not the same as having no morning sickness, but i'll take it!

Yeah, we had names picked out WAY before we ever got pregnant. We only have 1 boys name and 1 girl's name picked out though. We were CONVINCED we were having a singleton, even after we did IVF. All of our friends thought we were having twins, but we were like, "no way". OOPS!

All the weight i've gained has been in my belly and boobs! before 3 or so weeks ago, it was 90% boobs. Now my belly's catching up. The boob thing i was so unprepared for! i didn't realize that i'd need a 34-36 F before 20 weeks! Anyone else have the massive boob explosion? My belly's "exploded" in the last few weeks. I had to take out all three of my belly button piercings (one on top, two on the bottom at an angle... like a triangle). I can put a rubber retainer in the two bottom ones, but not on the top. The top of my belly button is completely flat, instead of concave! It's flat, then dips in some at the bottom. It's like i've got a partial outie!

Lots of stuff going on that i had no clue would happen during pregnancy. Probably tmi, but has anyone who can't see their toes anymore noticed they their crotch now looks weird/different?

SAHM to 2 year olds Tesla and Lucius. twins.gif
#29 of 163 Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 PM

Hey ladies! Hope you are all doing well.

I had a midwife appointment this afternoon so thought I would share an update. I had my ultrasound about 1-1/2 weeks ago and while the technician at the time said everything looks alright it was nice to see the written report to the OB and midwife showing both babies measuring well and looking totally healthy . 98% sure there's one boy and one girl so I guess we'll go with that.

I'm measuring 25 weeks (I'm 22 weeks), up 23lbs, blood pressure very low and babes heartbeats were in the 150's and 160's. I did pee on the stick and hd a +2 measurement on glucose but the midwife said she wasn't concerned after I told her I had a huge mango smoothie for breakfast. She said they're not terribly accurate but that we would check next time and I will be going for the GD test soon anyways.

I did have a mini breakdown after she asked me how the nausea was. I think I've just been dealing with it so long and the last week or so has been pretty rough. It just kind of all came out . She was very understanding. I've had a lot on my mind after meeting the OB and not seeing him again for 8 weeks when I have some concerns just gives me too much time to wonder and worry. Thoughts of preterm labour, epidural, c-section, breastfeeding, etc.... Seems like so much sometimes. But I am doing well now, especially after seeing the ultrasound report and hearing the babies again. Kind of gives me motivation for the next 3 weeks until my next midwife appointment.

#30 of 163 Old 03-05-2008, 11:23 AM

Hi you guys! Why do I always miss noticing this thread when it "gets active" again? Life, I guess.

Karen, I'm so glad you had a good appointment. I am so in limbo with appointments....they made the OB appt. for 2 weeks after the u/s and peri consult that was on the books at the time, so I'd have an appointment in two weeks, then see the OB (for the first time!) in 2 weeks. It seemed perfect, nice and stair-stepped. Then we canceled that first u/s appt and time has marched on without the new hospital getting me scheduled for the replacement appointment, so I haven't seen anybody and it just feels, well, limbo-y. Especially after the "original" date (2/29) passed me by. "We could know by now--we could know gender, how they're growing, if my due date looks right...." It has been hard to wait in limbo.

I am assuming all is well, of course. But then I wonder, "Am I naive to assume?" Ironic that that instinct, keeping yourself from completely assuming the best, is supposed to be "self-protective."

Hey, this is probably a "duh" type question, but when you all say you can't see your toes, do you just mean standing straight and looking down, your belly blocks your view? For some reason, when I read that from both of you, my mind flashed to very late pregnancy (last time) when at 41 weeks I was pretty huge (lots of belly all out in front) and I couldn't see my feet and couldn't even really negotiate with anything leg/foot oriented. Like, washing in the shower. It was winter and I wasn't concerned at all about shaving (actually, I'm generally pretty lazy about shaving year-round) but if I HAD been concerned, it would have been a lost cause. That kind of thing. Like, my feet were another country at that point.

Is that where you guys are? Or is it just that you're saying you have enough belly to hide your toes from view? If it's the latter, then I'm there with you. If I'm standing, my belly hides my feet completely. But all I have to do is tip forward a bit and I can see them again quite easily!

I think, looking down, that I have a tidy belly and it doesn't seem "all that" big. But if I compare to what maternity clothes did/didn't fit at this time last pregnancy (I've sized out of some shirts already and definitely a couple of the first pants I wore last time), I see that there's a big difference. And I have pregnant friends who are more than a month further along than I am, and I'm bigger.

Still, looking down, it looks like a tidy round belly. Not "mammoth hugeness." But if I see my reflection, it looks much bigger. From the side, I look stretched and big, especially in the evenings. Two nights in the last week I definitely felt (or so it seemed) the pulling of my skin and it was like I was growing or stretching right then. I did look bigger afterward (according to my & my husband's estimates.)

devilish fetish, I am a tad concerned about whether I'm gaining "enough." I mean, I'm concerned because as I fast approach 20 weeks the scale is not telling me what I'd like it to, but I'm trying not to focus on the issue or on the concern. Honestly, I'm not sure how I'm doing with the foods/amounts I eat. (I was thinking about posting a list of foods here and getting some feedback. I mean, I've seen the protein threads in the Parenting Multiples forum and maybe that's the better place to post, but here I can just post in this thread and at least start the conversation, then create a thread over there if I feel the need. I don't know....)

I also have a big disparity between weight at the beginning and the end of the day. The other night, one of those "stretching" nights, I was at 160 at the end of the night. Which was amazing. But the next morning, I was back down to the low 150s and just climbed slowly during the day. (Not that I weigh constantly through the day, but I checked morning and then again at night.) The last couple of nights, I am at about 158 before bed. I wish I could just bump up and keep building, but it seems like I have this daily pattern that I just repeat.

I haven't had an ultrasound since the initial twin diagnosis at 14 weeks, and I've had the one appointment with the midwife at my new OB office (she measured me but didn't tell me how I was measuring, just that it seemed "on target" for twins) so I can only assume that they are growing appropriately and that I'm gaining inches appropriately....but whereas you got confirmation of that I haven't had u/s or appointment yet so I'm just assuming!

I guess I'm babbling.

Here's something that happened last night that kind of illustrates the general uneasiness I have surrounding nutrition & "enough", which is such a contrast to my first pregnancy. I was all set to fix a vegetable stir fry with udon noodles (a switch from my usual brown rice) for dinner, and I got out the chicken breasts. I was going to cut up a pound and a half of chicken and saute that first, then stir fry the veggies, and stir it all together with a simple quick sauce. But the chicken had just a touch of an "off" smell. It was a day from the sell-by date (I had bought 3 packages and worked my way through them; this was the last) but I guess I didn't have them in the coldest part of the fridge. (It's a brand-new fridge....the meat drawer in our old refrigerator was frigid but I guess this one has a "snack/deli drawer" that isn't as cold, or something.) Grrrrr. Anyway, I was afraid to try it and cast about for something else to add at the last minute. No meat options....everything is in the freezer and this was actual dinner time.

So I made a curry coconut peanut sauce to coat the noodles and also to toss with the veggies. (It actually came out good.) I had a 13.5 oz can of whole coconut milk (not "light" coconut milk--lots of cream) and put 6 tbsp of peanut butter in, plus the rest of the "flavor" ingredients. (Lime juice, tamari, cilantro, honey, a little maple sugar, ginger, garlic, minced onion, curry....)

I know coconut milk is not particularly high in protein but it's high in calories and fat. Plus the pb. I was hoping this could compensate some for not having the quantity of chicken in the dish.

I don't know if that was "good enough" or not. The noodles were whole grain and there were lots of veggies, which offer some protein too in addition to the fiber and calories from the complex carbohydrates. (Broccoli, onion, carrots, red pepper, yellow pepper, 2 stalks of sliced bok choy.) Anyway, I had this kind of muted feeling of "In my last pregnancy, I would not have been wondering if this was 'good enough' or if I should be anxious....I would have been relaxed and comfortable about the fact that I was eating good food."

Anyway, just wanted to note that I am getting along and doing okay, but that's the general contrast to last time. I always have this vague "is this okay, am I doing right by myself and the twins, should I be more vigilant and what needs to change?" thing going on. Maybe if I count calories, grams of protein, oz. of water, etc. I will lose that vague nagging question. But then I end up eating leftovers (much of the time) and I don't KNOW how many ounces of chicken were in that casserole serving, etc. How do I quantify my grams?

I did eat two large---a decent round pile covering about 7" of the dinner plate---servings of the noodles/stir fry as the night went on, and then I went in and made myself a large (12+ inch tortilla) cheddar and avocado quesadilla and ate it with salsa and sour cream before bed. (Using just shy of half a ripe avocado.)

I would have tried to drink some milk with whey protein powder mixed in before turning in, just as a decent protein boost, but I threw up once yesterday (I'm down to about once a week or so, I guess) to my shock, and milk/kefir still leave me with a feeling/aftertaste that are hard for me to handle and I didn't want to flirt with disaster. So I left well-enough alone and just drank water.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page