Breastfeeding While Pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any other Moms who are due in July and still breastfeeding an older child? How is it going? What are your plans (if you have any)?

My daughter has not finished weaning, although she has definitely started. She is down to just 2-4 nursing sessions per day. Most days she nurses first thing in the morning (before getting out of bed), naptime, bedtime, and occasionally once during the night/very early morning. Not only does she nurse MUCH less than she used to, but each nursing session is shorter than it used to be. I don't think she goes longer than maybe 5-10 minutes per side now.

I'm unsure what my plans are. Part of me really wants her to finish weaning during the pregnancy. Part of me is sort of looking forward to tandem nursing. Part of me really still wants her to wean herself, even if I am encouraging her in that direction I sort of want the last step to be her own. I think I'd be satisfied if she just decided she could drop these last few nursing sessions. Too bad we can't pick and choose - I certainly know moms who were hoping their youngster would keep nursing through a pregnancy.
#2 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 02:42 PM

I weaned my daughter about 2 weeks ago. She is just over 2-1/2 years old. I was nursing her through the beginning of my pregnancy but was putting more limits on it as it was extremely painful. I eventually lost most of my milk but she was still nursing about 2 times/day and a couple more at night. I had planned on letting her continue to nurse but limiting it to nap/bedtime and then tandem nurse. About 4 weeks ago we found out I was pregnant with twins and after doing some reading we thought it would be better to wean dd entirely. So, over the next 2 weeks we gently worked with her and while she did get upset a few times it went over pretty well. I am relieved to be done at this point because it was very draining for me (emotionally and physically) and I knew that I would not be able to triandem nurse. I have tandem nursed in the past with ds and dd and I did enjoy it for about 4 months before we gently encouraged ds to wean from his last bedtime nursing. He was just baout 3 at that time and I was ready.

It is a hard decision and I know the internal struggle of wanting to continue and wanting to be done at the same time .

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#3 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 PM

I am still nursing my 18 month old. I successfully nightweaned her about a month ago and that has made my life a billion times easier. I was at the point that I wanted to just crawl in a hole and die it was so bad. But now that I am sleeping I don't mind nursing her during the day anymore. I have definitely limited it though. If she had her way she would nurse around the clock. We are down to 4-6 sessions a day. I don't particularly want to tandem nurse, but we will see how things go. I won't force her to wean before she is ready.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#4 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 03:11 PM

i am nursing 2 older sibs and pregnant, due in july. i did the same thing when my last baby was inside, and ended up nursing 3 for a long while. my oldest just weaned around his 5th birthday. right now dd, who is 3.5, only nurses once or twice a day and ds, who is 16 mos, nurses all day and night. dd is really a lot less nursey than her older brother who is weaned. she may wean in this pg. and then i'll only have to nurse ds and newbaby.

it is a personal choice. but i felt very good about ds1 nursing through 2 pregnancies and slowly, slowly weaning. there were times when he quit for a week at a time and i thought we were done, but then he would ask again. and times when he asked a lot and i was busy with a new baby, etc and i played a art in the process. i think we're both really happy with how it happened.

it shocks me to think dd may wean earlier, but really who am i to say when she should? every child is different. and she may hang on longer, i dont know.

ds2 is more like ds1- way attached to maymay. we shall see!

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#5 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 03:14 PM

I'm still nursing my 17 month old. I weaned my three year old shortly after finding out I was pregnant because tandem nursing during the early stages of pregnancy was just too much for me She was ready (ish) but I wasn't very happy about doing it. But my younger girl is still going strong, some days she only nurses twice and some up to ten times. I don't have any milk left so it's just about comfort right now for her. I imagine she'll pick it back up when the baby is born and my milk comes in which is what her older sister did.
#6 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm tandem nursing my 3.5 year old DS and 18 month old DD through this pregancy. DS is down to only 1-2 times a day, but I don't think he'll be weaning during the pregnancy. If not that's fine, I'll triandem nurse for a while until someone decides they are done.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#7 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 03:36 PM

My daughter weaned at 2 1/2, but I oddly always wanted to tandem nurse. It just wasn't in the cards to have kids that close together.

Whatever you mommas decide, whether it is to continue and tandem or wean, you have given your current kids a wonderful gift by nursing so long and will give the new babe the same wonderful gift

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
#8 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 03:40 PM

This is what I say mentally while nursing right now...

Ow ow ow ow, wait for the let down, ow ow DARN! Come on let down. Ahhhhhhh. Let down.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#9 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 03:42 PM

I'm still nursing my 2 1/2 yo dd, too. She recently (within the last two weeks) started finally sleeping through the night, which is HEAVEN! I can stand the daytime nursing now so much better! She is down to only nursing a couple times a day, usually nap and bed time, sometimes once or twice more... I'm pretty sore, and there's hardly any milk left, and she doesn't usually nurse for more than 2 minutes, so I think she'll probably wean. If not, though, that's OK. I'll tandem if I need to for her (though I can't say I really _want_ to do it.) My ds weaned when I was about 5 months pg with dd (he was a couple months over 3). It was very peaceful and easy, really, so I'm hoping the same thing for dd. But whatever she needs is what we'll do.
#10 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 03:52 PM

I'm nursing my almost 2.5 year old. It HURTS the last week or so, though. If you can make it through pregnancy, tandem nursing is much easier than nursing through a pregnancy. I tandem nursed ds2 and ds3 for 1.5 years for ds2 weaned.
#11 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 03:52 PM

I'm still nursing DS 14 mos... I feel fine. Although, I have noticed that he has not been nursing as much at night which is helpful! I plan on tandem nursing, but I'm sure he'll wean sometime around his 2nd birthday. We nurse at most 10x a day. Although I have noticed increased sensitivity this second tri????

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#12 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 04:01 PM

i'm still nursing my 23mo. i really thought she would wean when my supply dropped, but it's basically gone now, she tells me so, and it hasn't affected her nursing in the slightest. i have to say i'm not thrilled at the thought of tandem nursing, but the thought of forcing her to wean is even less appealing, so...tandem it is! i'm trying to get myself excited about it.

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#13 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 04:12 PM

I'm still nursing my DS2. I was worried about supply but lately I have been getting engourged?? Also my boobs don't hurt but oh many my nips are very sensitive. It is going good except he moves so much while eating. I am going w/ the flow and seeing how things go. Some days I just want to be done and then we have a nice laid back nursing session and I think about how much I'd miss it. He seems to nurse on the fly for a few minutes at a time.
#14 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 04:14 PM

I am nursing my 2.5 year old ds. I have put restrictions on nursing since getting pg because it is very very uncomfortable for me. He only nurses once per day before nap. Sometimes I'm working and sometimes he doesn't take a nap so he hasn't nursed for a couple of days in a row at times. I do feel guilty about limiting and cutting down, because I know he doesn't like it. But for me I just really don't want to do it anymore because it hurts.
I have a lot of mixed feeling and emotions about the whole thing.
It's definitely not easy.

Lorette
#15 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madiesmommy View Post

Whatever you mommas decide, whether it is to continue and tandem or wean, you have given your current kids a wonderful gift by nursing so long and will give the new babe the same wonderful gift
Thanks, I needed to hear this right now!

Lorette
#16 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 PM

Im an EPer.. Kiddo is tube fed.. My supply has taken a majour hit and Ive switched over to colostrum so Im down to pumping 2 times a day which I will continue until the baby gets here.. Then I will breastfeed the baby and continue pumping for my other kiddo.. or pump for both if I have to. My kiddo is almost 3 and I do not plan on "weaning" him until he is able to take food by mouth and not have to rely on canned crap for his nutrition.
#17 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 07:37 PM

I am still bf-ing my almost 18mo. I don't have a goal age for extended bf-ing or weaning, so we're just playing things by ear.

Gotta run- more later.
#18 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorette View Post
I I do feel guilty about limiting and cutting down, because I know he doesn't like it. But for me I just really don't want to do it anymore because it hurts.
I have a lot of mixed feeling and emotions about the whole thing.
It's definitely not easy.

Lorette
I am with you on this one. DD is 2 1/2 and would nurse more if it wasn't so uncomfortable for me. We are down to 1-2x per day, usually just one at night. I have been "encouraged" by people who have no business giving an opinion that it would be better for her to wean before the new one arrives, but I am not sure that will be OK with her! My supply has really dwindled and may disappear long before numero dos arrives anyway. So, we will just see how it goes. If we tandem nurse, that is OK. If she weans before then, that is OK too. In the mean time, sometimes we do "ABC nursing"--she can nurse a for as long as it takes for me to sing the ABC song. This always makes her giggle!
#19 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Oh boy, many still nursing moms. MDC is so nice! Not only so many nursing moms, but moms nursing older kids too. And even some still tandem nursing from a previous pregnancy. It's nice to hear that I'm not alone. Well, I'm only nursing one, but she is 3.5 years old. It's nice to hear that it's not completely unreasonable to just keep nursing her and that some day she will stop even if I wait for her to stop on her own.
#20 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 09:21 PM

Have you ever seen a nursing grad student? Of course she will stop when she is ready
#21 of 30 Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 PM

***sorry for the double post. It was still sitting on my computer this morning saying the server was too busy so I posted! I had already edited it & added more info, so I left the second one.***
#22 of 30 Old 02-05-2008, 11:49 AM

My girl nursed for the last time a few weeks ago. It was just a short time before we found out it was twins (and I think I would have encouraged weaning at that point, though I'd been open to nursing through pregnancy if I were carrying a singleton.) This ending was after a long, long process of cutting back. For many months, she'd just nursed at bedtime and first thing in the morning, but she had become less regular about both. That irregularity hung in for several months (she'd nurse one night, then not for two, then one morning and that night, then no mornings for a few days, and every other night, then a few days with nothing, then morning & night, then skipping nights & nursing only mornings for a few days....) and she was doing less, but still nursing at least once every few days. In the final weeks, she was having 5 or 7 day gaps between nursing sessions. Each time she did nurse, she maintained that there was plenty of milk and that it tasted the same, but for whatever reason, one day she latched and then unlatched after just a few seconds. She told me she was done.

My husband commented that he thought she was tuned into the situation, and that she somehow intuited that it would be better for me not to nurse through a twin pregnancy. That kind of claim would fit with "her" in general, but of course I don't know for sure.

She definitely seemed ready and somehow on the same page with whatever was happening, or needed to happen.

She has cried about it a couple of times, and wanted to be held in a "nursing position" and I thought for sure she would want to latch again, but each time it has been enough to snuggle. She was just 2 months shy of her fourth birthday the last time she nursed.

I think her fragility those times has had as much to do with my being less hands-on during weeks and weeks of hyperemisis, plus the stress of watching/hearing me throw up so often for so long, and just how out of whack the whole household has been. Her daddy is doing so much more (all the bedtime duty, all the cooking for her, getting her breakfast every day, reading stories and helping her get to sleep) and she also transitioned out of our bed in the last month. I wasn't surprised to have her randomly crying out and needing comfort, and missing the oldest standby for comfort. She's made several changes that she seems proud of, but still must be so stressful.

But as for the nursing, I am carrying twins so will be tandem nursing come summer, anyway!
#23 of 30 Old 02-05-2008, 12:11 PM

I weaned my then 3 y.9 mth old in the beginning of December. She was already down to 1-2 sessions per day and 2-3 sessions at night. It became VERY painful for me to nurse her, and I started getting frustrated/angry. So we (an avantage of weaning an older child) talked, and decided to keep it down only to night feeds. Then I just told her that this is probably it for night feeds as well. She has accepted it although was very sad. The sadness was eventually healed by the expectation of the new baby, and the fact that she is now a big girl, (quoting) "a beautiful princess" who is soon turning 4!!!
#24 of 30 Old 02-05-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khourtniey View Post
Have you ever seen a nursing grad student? Of course she will stop when she is ready
I know that intellectually she will stop when she's ready. However, I must say that although I've never seen a grad student who is still nursing, until about two years ago I'd never seen a child older than 3 nursing and until 4 years ago (my first LLL) meeting I'd never seen a child older than maybe 6-9 months nursing. When I saw that first 3-year-old nursing my thought was "never!" and yet here we are, in that "never" realm.

Well, last night and this morning my daughter informed me there was no milk. Last night she told me there should be lots of milk because I had a lot of milk to drink with dinner. I tried to explain that any fluids would "make" milk. This morning she told me to get up and drink some orange juice in order to make her more milk.
#25 of 30 Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 PM

I am still nursing my 16 MO. His poo has gotten smellier, runnier, and really light colored... lol since he's getting more water and occasionally juice and of course tons more food (I think either the colostrum or the apple juice is making it runnier... but it's getting closer to newborn poo status, minus the bad smell!)

My nipples only really hurt at night. He's nursing 2-4 times a day and 1 or 2 at night. I don't know if that's enough and was thinking about giving him a cup of goat's milk every day (he can't handle cow's milk)... what y'all think?

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#26 of 30 Old 02-05-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
It HURTS the last week or so, though.
me too! For this whole pregnancy, I've kept thinking "well this isn't so bad", expecting it to be painful (I've always found nursing a bit uncomfortable). Then youch!!! The last few days have been terribly painful! I can't imagine making it another 20+ weeks like this

btw, my almost 18mo nurses roughly 4x/day & is nightweaned.
#27 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 02:09 AM

i'm nursing my 18 month old, and plan to continue throughout this pregnancy and who knows how long after that.
it was really painful at first, then it got better, and this week it's painful again. who knows?!

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#28 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm nursing my almost 2.5 year old! I'm in pain tho. I had an infection about a month before I got pregnant... It was a staph infection/group Bstrep on my nipples... and I keep feeling and they keep looking one step away from going back there. I need to see if I can use the medication during pregnancy as a precaution. We'll see.

But it's not quite that painful. And DD has "bit" since she was around a year and won't stop...

So part of me wants some time to myself and wants her to stop but I want HER choose to stop! (preferably soon...) but at the same time I also wanna tandem... *sigh*

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#29 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 12:31 PM

i'm barely nursing, but it seems that i'm only making cream? the baby says "ick" whenever he tries to get anything and then he doesn't like to swallow it. i usually get colostrum at 4 months and am 15wks now. is this thebeginnings of colostrum?
#30 of 30 Old 02-07-2008, 09:00 AM

I was nursing my boob-a-holic 1-2 times a day up until about a month ago when she nursed for the last time, on her own! She just lost interest, and I lost supply. She was over 3.5 years old when she stopped. She just slowed to one or two times a week, then once every other week, then she nursed one time in january completely out of the blue, and hasn't asked since.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page