Anyone having children close together? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 02-04-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
** Inspired by the thread on having a large age gap, I was curious who was having babies close together.

DD will be 4yrs and DS will be 20mos in July. I'm excited about the age range and actually think it will help with jealousy. Any feelings? Experiences? Etc?

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#2 of 25 Old 02-04-2008, 11:17 PM

I'm not in the boat YET, but DH is already talking about trying for another one.

We would like to ttc our second within about 6 months or so after DD is born. I'll be BFing though, so I don't know how it will all pan out in the end, but I'd love to have them close in age.

Our clan: Me (25), Dh (29), dd (6/19/08) and ds (10/2/09) :
#3 of 25 Old 02-04-2008, 11:25 PM

my Ds will be 2 july 22nd and this baby is "due" the 14th. I don't think they baby will come on ds's bday because I was charting with this pregnancy so my due date is better this pregnancy. I would be surprised if this baby came 8 days later that expected, maybe just a couple of days later than the 14th. So they will be almost 2 years apart, who knows maybe 2 years exactly???
#4 of 25 Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 PM

I'm not sure if it's considered close or not. DD1 will be 5 and DD2 will be 27 months in July.

I was aiming for this spacing, give or take, and hoping it helps with the jealousy as well. Not too close and not too far, for me. My girls, of course, have their moments, but they really get along well. DD1 tells me that her sister is her bestest friend.

I was the oldest by 3.5 yrs and my sisters were a year and a couple days apart, so I was always left out and ganged up on. I'm hoping to avoid this somewhat with our spacing. That said, I do get along with my sisters very well as adults, so I guess it couldn't have been that bad.

So far I'm loving the spacing and hope that continues. It can be a little challenging to have a baby and a toddler, but I feel like it's worth it when they get a bit older, like my DDs. Also, my oldest is to the point of being a great help and takes such pride in it, so I'm certain that will help some.

Time will tell! DD2 is much more of a momma's baby, very clingy and needy. Much more so than her sister, so it may be harder on her and as such, on me.
#5 of 25 Old 02-04-2008, 11:37 PM

I'm pregnant with my first, but I've always intended to have a second "soon" after. My sister and I were 2 years apart, and her friendship during my childhood was invaluable. Not to mention, it was easier for my parents to manage us "in bulk" when we were going through things at roughly the same time.

My parents had two other kids much later - my second sister is 6 years younger than me, and my brother 10 years younger - but the important thing for them was that each of us had *someone* in the family that was within a few years of them. Built-in friends.

I hope to do the same with my new family.

Charlotte

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#6 of 25 Old 02-04-2008, 11:46 PM

My first two are 9.5 months apart.. This baby and my youngest will be 2.5 or 3 years depending on when this baby comes My oldest boy will only be 3 when this baby comes
#7 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 12:34 AM

My youngest are 6, 4, and 2, with the new one due the first week of July. They play really well together and are great friends. I miscarried last year, so this new baby will not be as close in spacing as the others were.
#8 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 03:07 AM

my son will be 2 on 7/17 and i am due 7/12 (same due date as i had for him!) my neices are 16 months apart and my sister loves it. she's crazy though!
#9 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 09:37 AM

My youngest will be 23 months when this new sibling arrives.
However my first two are 15 months apart, CRAZY! Khourtniey, I don't know how you did it?!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#10 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 10:13 AM

mine arent too close, i dont think. it is just right.

ds1 is 5, he will turn six right around the new baby's due date. dd is 3.5, she'll be 4. ds2 is 16 months but he will be 22 months. the gaps, then, are 22mos, 28 months and 22 months again.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#11 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 AM

It's funny I had my girls all close together and now will have my boys close together w/a gap in between.

dd1 22mo older than dd2 who is 21mo older than dd3,
there is 3 1/2 yrs b/t dd3 and ds1
and there will be about 25mo b/t ds1 and ds2.

I personally loved having them close together. I feel like ~2 years is a "just right" spacing and is especially nice that it's working out w/my same sex kids. they have built in playmates and it's not so close (IMO) that it is really overwhelming.

I have to say though it was a whole different experience having ds1 with 3/5/7yo's around. my 7yo and even my 5yo were SUCH a help to me with ds1. with my girls i never really had that experience of "help" from a sibling...I mean they could grab a diaper for me, but not change or hold the baby for me. When I had ds, my 7yo could change diapers (and volunteered to, even after she got pooped on!) and my 5yo was a GREAT baby holder (awesome for a quick shower). Wow, that was so great.

Even though I like having kids close together, I have to admit w/a "large" family it's great having the older kids too, just the little things they can do to be a help, or the fact that they can get their own bowl of cereal/cup of juice (or get the same for a younger sibling) is so nice.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#12 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 PM

mine aren't too close. one is getting out of diapers by the time the other is born.

9, 6.5, 4.5, 21 mos, and this one will come right after youngest turns 2. my kids are very close, and there's a lot to enjoy about their closeness. the time when its hardest is when i'm nursing and pregnant...it wears me out!
#13 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
My youngest will be 23 months when this new sibling arrives.
However my first two are 15 months apart, CRAZY! Khourtniey, I don't know how you did it?!
Well if my youngest was born on time they would have been around 13 months apart But it was a lot easier than some might guess.. My youngest literally stayed like a newborn until he was 15 months old. He didnt crawl or move around... Didnt hold his head up or anything..He just layed there.I had to feed him and change his diapers and stuff and he was good to go.. He didnt mess with stuff or make messes like typical kiddos do... didnt terrorize the house.. Just layed in bed.. That made it a little easier. If he had been a normal child and reaching milestones on time then that would have been really hard. Right now at almost 3 years he is about 6-8 months developmentally PT wise 0-7 Speech... So when the new baby comes it will be about like having them 9 months apart
#14 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 PM

A couple of close ones here. My DD will be 19/20 months when this chicklet is born. It took the first time, we had just started to try for number two. It was a little bit of a shock, but not really since I do know where babies come from, but still I thought it would take at least a couple of months....

I am sure it will be exciting, I hope I can even remember the first year.
#15 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM

My son will be 19/20 months when the new babe arrives.

My son was an IVF baby that took 2+ years to conceive, we didn't think we could get pregnant on our own, and were just starting to talk about when we should even *think* about trying for #2 when - SURPRISE! So, maybe a bit soon, but very wonderful all the same.

~heather

heather - wife to my wonderful husband , mama to Brenten William 12/29/06, and Devin Findley 10/20/09
#16 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 01:36 PM

23 months between this pair, 22 months between the first two.

I kind of wish they were a little further apart - right now, the younger is into all the older's games, and the older isn't old enough to cope well. It makes for some ugly moments. But, I'll be 37 when this baby arrives, so I wouldn't have wanted to drag this stage out too many more years.
#17 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 03:21 PM

When #3 is born, my oldest will be three years and eight months and my youngest will be 22 months. So 21 months between the first two and 22 months between #2 and #3. Basically I keep getting pregnant right after my kids turn one. So yeah, close together. I like it that way, the kids can all play together and grow up (hopefully!) as friends as well as siblings.
#18 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM

Me! me! DD is 13 months old right now. They will be about 18 months apart when the new baby is born. I was a little bit when we first found out and some days I'm nervous about it but i'm sure they will be fine.
#19 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM

My Oldest Daughter is 6 Middle is 3 Youngest is 1.5 and then baby will be here shortly after her second birthday.

S Momma to:8:5:4:1.5 and: May 29 2010 loving wife to C:
:::: ::: formally mom_2_3_girls
#20 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM

not superclose, but my youngest will be 28m when the new one is born. my first two are 3.5 years apart exactly.

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#21 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS and DD are 22 months apart, DD and the new babe will be 24 months apart. I'm just hoping one of them will be interested in using the potty relatively soon!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#22 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 08:03 PM

i'm looking at a 25 month spacing, which seems pretty common in this thread. I am excited about it. the right around 2 year spacing is what i always wanted and may try for again. it worked out well for my body, I felt fully recovered from DS's birth when i conceived. DS weaned a few weeks ago at about 20 months old which i am okay with, before 18 months i would have been disappointed.
#23 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 PM

21 MO apart, give or take

We planned it this way. DH wants to get it all over with now

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#24 of 25 Old 02-05-2008, 11:50 PM

My first 2 are 2 years, 5 weeks apart.
I'm due 2 years, 5.5 weeks after DD.

We appear to be consistent . DD was nearly 2 weeks late, but this one won't be more than a week late.
#25 of 25 Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 AM

i'm due a week before ds's 2nd birthday. perfect spacing, if you ask me! my sister and i are 16 months apart and it's wonderful. best friends!

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page