AAAUUURRRGHHH (*another TMI thread*) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going inSANE. The itching.....ohhh the itching. Skin overall; but more specifically 'down there'. : I'm so red in the folds; it's like a yeast infection without the yeast; just the itch that you can't scratch. I can't go see my doctor because he's in a different city; so I'd have to take DS out of school; and there's no way in hell I'm going to see a clinic doctor about this one!

Is this normal? Not normal? Will this go away or should I ....ahhh.... I don't know!! I can't think straight because it's driving me CRAZY. Someone say something.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#2 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 02:33 AM

Oh gosh, that sounds horrible! I don't have any advice for you but I know others on here will be able to help. I just can't read a post like that and not respond. You must be in agony!

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#3 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thankyou for your sympathy. I am a little better now. Here's what happened...

I decided to try Tea Tree Oil (T36-C5) and I put it on and it started burning (which, was a relief, sadly). Then I read the bottle and it says "avoid contact with mucous membranes"....and I wasn't sure if the vagina counts as a mucous membrane...so I looked it up. Sure enough, it is. So I hopped in the shower with some scent free soap and scrubbed the oil off (which both felt great and hurt like hell )

So; now I'm clean and dry and still a little burn-y; but I'll take burning over itching any day.

I still need advice. Who knows, maybe I'll wake up and this'll be gone. But if it's not; what do I do??

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#4 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 02:43 AM

I don't know how "all natural" you are, but if you have some sort of vagisil cream or something, you could try that. I think the active ingredient is totramizole (sp?) which is the same as some athlete's foot creams if you would have that around. If you don't have those or don't like that idea, maybe a shallow bath w/ baking soda or oatmeal? You could always try an internet search for natural itch relief or something. A natural remedy may be a better route while PG anyway, cause I'm not positive about using the cream? It probably says "consult a dr. first" b/c they never test it on pg women. Hope it improves!

"I'm so crafty, I make people" DD (01/06) and her much anticipated sibling (07/10) with my sweet DH (07/02)
#5 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not die-hard natural. I do the best I can to avoid medications and such; but I'm not opposed. I try and find a solution and if that fails; I've got no qualms about prescriptions. Thankfully, DS and I are fairly healthy overall. Anyways, I don't have any of what you suggested lying around; or any hydrocortizones or anything. I might pick up...umm...I forget the name of it; but you usually get a tube in yeast treatments (like Canesten) and it's a cream for the folds and it's an anti itch. Anyways, I know you can get like .5% OTC and it's like 1% if you get it from the doc. I'm rambling. I might go get a tube tomorrow if this keeps up.

I just want to know what this IS!!

#6 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 07:11 AM

I hope it's not bacterial vaginosis.. (not sure if I spelled it right) google it and see if your symptoms are the same.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#7 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post

I decided to try Tea Tree Oil (T36-C5) and I put it on and it started burning (which, was a relief, sadly). Then I read the bottle and it says "avoid contact with mucous membranes"....and I wasn't sure if the vagina counts as a mucous membrane...so I looked it up. Sure enough, it is. So I hopped in the shower with some scent free soap and scrubbed the oil off (which both felt great and hurt like hell )

So; now I'm clean and dry and still a little burn-y; but I'll take burning over itching any day.

I still need advice. Who knows, maybe I'll wake up and this'll be gone. But if it's not; what do I do??
I am surprised to read that about tea-tree oil, I use it for just about anything, including itching 'down there'. It is great for thrush - a few drops on a tampon work wonders, and certainly on the outside I cannot see a problem with using it. It does burn like crazy for a bit, but the burning is usually such a relief after itching it feels good and certainly the relief is well worth the bit of burning.

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
#8 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM

Oooh, I totally feel your pain. I have a raging yeast infection. I didn't have the yucky discharge, but it's a yeast infection nonetheless--so don't necessarily count that out!!! I was using just plain old yogurt, which was helping some, but I finally gave in and got the monistat--oh, it's a better day today, for sure! (My MW said it was OK to use--and I had tried as much natural stuff as I had in my house for 3 days.) Good luck! I hope you figure it out soon!
#9 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 AM

oh i'm sorry you're having this issue!

maybe you don't have any infections yet, but it sounds like your body is out of balance.

you could try taking a bunch of probiotics?

also you can do a peroxide wash. the vagina makes it's own h2o2 to clean things out, so using a wash(inside and out) is pretty safe(i've done it lots). if you go straight, it might burn a little bit if you have any type of irritation or infection. you can water it down if that happens. if there's nothing there, it doesn't hurt at all. just tickles from the bubbles! lol

good luck! i hate the itchies!
#10 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 11:42 AM

my last pg and this one i have gotten bbbaaddd itching and yeast infections and i just get the yeast infection medication like the 3 day and it comes with the cream and that helps soooo much. i would definitly use that to get some comfort and make sure you tell your dr/mw next time you see them. good luck

Momma Morgan to Addison (3), Sydnee (1), Kimber 4/18/2010,and one angel 7-2009
#11 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 PM

I've has some issues with the itchiness too. I tried covering myself with a paste of baking soda and then hopping in a warm bath when that dried and started crumbling off. It was nice in the short-term but not practical during the day when I am at work.

I use the Vagisil cream, it works wonders for itching.

The only thing I've been told about the OTC yeast treatments is NOT to use the 1-day formula. The 3-day ones are okay, but the 1-day treatment is way too concentrated to be safe for pg moms. Just my MW's opinion. And it may be a yeast problem, even without discharge. The only yeast infection I have EVER had was while I was pg w/ #4 and included NO discharge, just an absolutely maddening itch.

Seriously, I was starting to consider scratching with a Brillo pad, I was miserable.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#12 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

The oil helped a tiny tiny bit. It doesn't itch like mad right now; and if I hold fairly still I'm not even irritated. But if I move, it itches, just not as bad as last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnemlv View Post
I hope it's not bacterial vaginosis.. (not sure if I spelled it right) google it and see if your symptoms are the same.
I *always* think I have BV and when I ask the doctor about it; it's not. You know what'll happen? It will be because I didn't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieMarie View Post
I am surprised to read that about tea-tree oil, I use it for just about anything....
Might you check your bottle for me and see if it says the same thing on the label? Maybe it's just THIS concentration of Tea Tree oil; because I know they come in various forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_trillium View Post
...also you can do a peroxide wash...
Can you be more specific about this? Are you talking about douching straight peroxide? That doesn't sound so nice to me.

And who said something about yogurt? And do you mean you're eating it; or slathering it on?

#13 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

For CRYING OUT LOUD; the server is being an extreme UA violation!! GRRR.

(double post)

#14 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 02:54 PM

Lurker here... I had to answer as I feel your pain. I had this problem at the begining of the pregnancy - I am now 21 weeks and it is under control.

I have had skin issues for almost 6 years. While I was nursing my baby 6 years ago I started breaking out in a red raw skin on my nursing area. THen all over my chest. I eventually stopped nursing my baby because it hurt and itched so bad. I thought it was thrush and treated it as such over and over again. It only got worse. I tried diet, herbs, nystatin, everything for YEARS. It never really went away although it did eventually go away from my chest only to show up "down under - perineum area mostly, and behind my knees then between my eyes! I tried eveything all over again. You name it, it tried it. Tea tree burned it (I am an Aromatherapoist and know you should never use tea tree undiluted down there) but it was worth the try. Everything seemed to make it worse. Drying things like baking soda worsened it, oils like coconut oil worsened it. It was so bad I was missing sleep - for a few years...

Then I stared looking at other possibilities - Turns out it is eczema and psoriasis. Putting anything yeast related on it made it worse which made it flair up worse and made it last longer. I started taking flaxseed oil and putting diluted (half water/half organic apple cider vigegar on it. Slowly, it started to go away. I put it on wherever i have the itchies and i use it after I "wipe". I use diluted ACV on a cotton ball and leave it alone. I do this daily and after 6 YEARS of issues, I am not itching anymore. I only started doing this about 10 weeks ago, and i am finally comfortable.

Anyway, do not use tea tree oil undiluted on you privates. You can put it directly on a tampon and that works for true yeast and BV, but it will burn putting it in. For the outer ares, you can mix a few drops of tea tree with a tbsp of olive oil and that will still do the job - if it is yeast or bacteria - and it wont burn your tissues. I however recommend ACV, as it too will help if it is yeast, but if it is more of a skin issue it will help that as well. And it wont burn your tissues. It will sting for a minute if you are really raw, but that should stop shortly. It will probably take a few days to get better but it is a cheap, easy cure that worked great for me and is OK for pregnancy.

That is my experience and advise if you want it
#15 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 02:59 PM

Try plain yogurt. You can eat it and slather it on An oatmeal bath would probably hlp also.
#16 of 24 Old 02-26-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Can you be more specific about this? Are you talking about douching straight peroxide? That doesn't sound so nice to me.
peroxide, you can use it as a douch, well, i've just poured some in while laying on my back and let it sit there for a few minutes. it tingles a little bit if you are raw, but honestly, it doesn't hurt. but you can also just soak a cotton ball and swab it around where it's itching. it will help take care of any bacteria if you've got an overgrowth, or an infection. the stuff you get from the store is not dangerous, it's only a 3% solution, so it already has 97% water in it. i've mostly diluted that with half water as well(unless i was *really* itchy and i wanted it gone fast!), so it's pretty weak.

i'm in no way a scientist, but from my understanding, normally, lactobacilli in your vagina produce enough hydrogen peroxide to get rid of any infections or yeast, but if your body becomes compromised and those numbers of "good bacteria" drop, there is not enough h2o2 to protect the area, causing an overgrowth of "bad bacteria". using it straight from the bottle just speeds up the process of getting rid of anything that shouldn't be growing there. along with it, you'll have to work on getting your flora balanced out down there so it doesn't come back. that's where the yogurt smears and probiotics come in handy!
#17 of 24 Old 02-27-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily12581 View Post
Try plain yogurt. You can eat it and slather it on An oatmeal bath would probably hlp also.
Yep, eat lots (though it won't help that way for a while), but slathering it on helps immediately and you can use a syringe to insert it, too...it will help with yeast, if that's the problem, but like I said, it didn't help enough, so I had to do the monistat thing (3-day). Oh, i feel so much better now! Hope you get rid of the itch!
#18 of 24 Old 02-28-2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:

Garlic wasnt intended to go up there either but people do it all the time
#19 of 24 Old 02-28-2008, 03:21 PM

I would suggest getting some probiotics, the better quality the better. I used to suffer from chronic yeast infections until I found a brand of probiotics that really works for me. It's pricey (I get it from my naturopath), but the good thing is that I don't even need to take it all the time. I only take it when I start to feel itchy, and the itch then goes away.
Good Luck! You have A LOT of suggestions to choose from here, so I hope one of them will provide you with relief!

Mom of 4
#20 of 24 Old 02-29-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Might you check your bottle for me and see if it says the same thing on the label? Maybe it's just THIS concentration of Tea Tree oil; because I know they come in various forms.
I just had a look at the bottle I have at the moment, that funny enough also says avoid eyes and mucous membranes, but I found the old bottle and that did not say anything like that - maybe it does have something to do with the concentration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnettmama View Post
Lurker here... I had to answer as I feel your pain. I had this problem at the begining of the pregnancy - I am now 21 weeks and it is under control.

I have had skin issues for almost 6 years. While I was nursing my baby 6 years ago I started breaking out in a red raw skin on my nursing area. THen all over my chest. I eventually stopped nursing my baby because it hurt and itched so bad. I thought it was thrush and treated it as such over and over again. It only got worse. I tried diet, herbs, nystatin, everything for YEARS. It never really went away although it did eventually go away from my chest only to show up "down under - perineum area mostly, and behind my knees then between my eyes! I tried eveything all over again. You name it, it tried it. Tea tree burned it (I am an Aromatherapoist and know you should never use tea tree undiluted down there) but it was worth the try. Everything seemed to make it worse. Drying things like baking soda worsened it, oils like coconut oil worsened it. It was so bad I was missing sleep - for a few years...

Then I stared looking at other possibilities - Turns out it is eczema and psoriasis. Putting anything yeast related on it made it worse which made it flair up worse and made it last longer. I started taking flaxseed oil and putting diluted (half water/half organic apple cider vigegar on it. Slowly, it started to go away. I put it on wherever i have the itchies and i use it after I "wipe". I use diluted ACV on a cotton ball and leave it alone. I do this daily and after 6 YEARS of issues, I am not itching anymore. I only started doing this about 10 weeks ago, and i am finally comfortable.

Anyway, do not use tea tree oil undiluted on you privates. You can put it directly on a tampon and that works for true yeast and BV, but it will burn putting it in. For the outer ares, you can mix a few drops of tea tree with a tbsp of olive oil and that will still do the job - if it is yeast or bacteria - and it wont burn your tissues. I however recommend ACV, as it too will help if it is yeast, but if it is more of a skin issue it will help that as well. And it wont burn your tissues. It will sting for a minute if you are really raw, but that should stop shortly. It will probably take a few days to get better but it is a cheap, easy cure that worked great for me and is OK for pregnancy.

That is my experience and advise if you want it
Ouch!! I have had eczema on and off over the years and it drove me nuts, i finally figured out that if I cut out all additives and preservatives it would stay away. Thanks for the interesting info on the tea tree oil, I usually use it in a tampon and not directly on the skin as I can imagine that would burn like crazy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khourtniey View Post
Garlic wasnt intended to go up there either but people do it all the time
Yeah I have heard of using garlic, have been meaning to try it but so far have had no yeast infections (yippee!!!)

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
#21 of 24 Old 02-29-2008, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

WOW Garnettmama....that must have been a horrible experience! I'm so glad you finally found what works!!

Quote:
...I am an Aromatherapoist and know you should never use tea tree undiluted down there...do not use tea tree oil undiluted on you privates. You can put it directly on a tampon and that works for true yeast and BV, but it will burn putting it in....
So it can be used undiluted straight out of the bottle on a tampon for inserting, but it's not safe to use on the outside?? I'm sorry if I'm confused about this; I'm pretty stupid when I'm pregant.

Quote:
...For the outer areas, you can mix a few drops of tea tree with a tbsp of olive oil and that will still do the job - if it is yeast or bacteria...
Oh, right on. I have both of those things too! I look forward to using this mix.

Quote:
... recommend ACV...
Again with my stupidity...what is ACV??

Thankyou Red Trillium for the peroxide info. It still sounds painful and dangerous; but when I posted this thread I was desperate for answers and the next time; I'll totally try that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khourtniey View Post
Garlic wasnt intended to go up there either but people do it all the time..
Or MAYBE garlic was never meant to be EATEN.

(and there's my stupid pregnancy humor )

#22 of 24 Old 02-29-2008, 11:33 PM

I've used tea tree oil for yeast infections. It hurts like I get it on the outside, but I've taken a tampon applicator (when I used tampons...), inserted it halfway, and then dripped the oil down the tube.

I've also used peeled garlic gloves as suppositories. And then my third option is to take yogurt and freeze it in a cardboard tampon applicator. Then peel the cardboard off and insert.

I used to get yeast infections ALL the time, after using these tricks I never had to use an OTC or prescription cream again, and eventually stopped getting the yeast infections entirely.

Oh- and ACV= Apple Cider Vinegar
#23 of 24 Old 03-01-2008, 12:44 AM

ACV - apple cider vinegar

Garnettmama - thanks for the tips, I'm a psoriasis suffer too and it's just horrible when it flares up there.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#24 of 24 Old 03-01-2008, 02:41 PM

I have to add about the tea tree. My midwives told me never t use it during pregnancy or while TTC or breastfeeding because tea tree can change your hormone balance. It is fine fr some, but those who have minor to major hormone issues should not use it while PG, BF or TTC.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page