I need a pep talk - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been having a really rough couple of days and I just really need to cry and vent about it and get some encouragement. Who better to turn to than you guys.

First off, I am so happy to be pregnant with twins right now and being 21 weeks puts me over the halfway mark so that is good. But I really, really am not enjoying pregnancy. I feel like throwing up all the time, still!! Plus the addition of the iron supplements that my OB recommended I think is making it even worse. I am so sick of feeling sick! I am already very uncomfortable in terms of size. I've already gained almost as much weight as I did with my singleton pregnancies. I have no idea where more weight is going to go. Right now it is all in my belly. I have lower back pain and wake up with sore hips. I pee all the time. I am out of breath. I cannot bend over to put on socks/shoes without being in pain. I feel how I did the last few weeks of my singleton pregnancies and the thought of 4 more months of this makes me want to cry.

I am short-tempered, exhausted all the time and just plain grumpy. It takes me forever to get anything done. I can't remember the last time dh and I were intimate. I feel so sick I don't like being close to anyone, even my own children. I miss cuddling up with them but it's so hard when I just want to curl up by myself and sleep.

The weather sucks. We have so much snow, it's -25C and I no longer have snow pants that fit or a coat that does up. If we go someplace I need to get all 3 of us ready in full snow gear.

I am counting down almost every day and while I know the time will pass I really just feel so blah right now. Maybe it's some kind of pre-pardum depression, maybe it's the weather or some other kind of stress. I'm sorry to post so much negativity and up until now I've been pretty positive but right now everything seems awful.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 11:26 AM

I am so sorry mama! I haven't been pregnant with twins, but just one is hard enough. I can only imagine how you are feeling. Here are just a couple of thoughts for things that might help a little. I was feeling very, very, very tired at the beginning of the 2nd tr--almost as bad as the first--and thinking it should have been getting better. I have always gone back and forth with anemia and have had to take iron supplements in the past (which cause all sorts of other problems) Anyway, I tried blackstrap molasses this time around instead of supplements--1 T before bed--and it worked in just a couple of days. REALLY helped the fatigue and I just generally felt better. It is also naturally high in other minerals, maybe calcium. I also tried just stirring it into milk, which is yummy, but then I read somewhere that calcium inhibits iron absorption so they need to be taken separately. Second, we get a nice amount of morning sun here so I have been sitting in my kitchen window in the a.m. while DD wreaks havoc in the kitchen. This has also helped a lot. Not sure how much sun you are getting up north, but you might try taking full advantage of it when you can or trying a full-spectrum light bulb in a place where you sit during the day. I really struggle with gray winters getting me down and this has been a long one for us. Also, do you have any friends who might be able to take your LOs for just a couple of hours one day? I have a couple of good friends that if I really need it, I can call and DD gets whisked away for a little while. Just 2 hours and a soak in the tub can cause a huge attitude adjustment for me. Not magic cures by any means, but maybe these ideas will give you just enough lift to help get through.
#3 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 03:33 PM

Vent away!

I'm due in August, am 16 weeks today and still suffer from all day sickness. Some days are better than others but it is a drag.

Hugs to you and I hope you start feeling better very soon.

#4 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 03:45 PM

You are so allowed to vent! Another iron suggestion... Floradix liquid iron. It doesn't taste great, but I didn't think it was that bad. But it is veggie based, and very easy on the stomach. It has been very helpful for me. It says that it could stain teeth, but I don't know anyone this actually happened to, so I wouldn't worry too much. You can find it at any health food store. Good luck! I really hope you feel better soon!

Kris
#5 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 03:54 PM

I totally understand mama! I'm 19 weeks with twins and having alot of the same issues. I didn't realize that i'd not be able to see my feet already, and not put my shoes on by myself without ALOT of straining/pain/effort. And i don't vomit as much as i did previously, but i still feel nauseas alot. I'm thrilled to be having twins, but pretty miserable being pregnant. I did IVF to get pregnant, so i feel alot of guilt that i'm not enjoying being pregnant. Some women just take to pregnancy... i'm not one of them. This is my first, so i don't know if it gets better. But i do know that you're not alone in how you feel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to one View Post
I've been having a really rough couple of days and I just really need to cry and vent about it and get some encouragement. Who better to turn to than you guys.

First off, I am so happy to be pregnant with twins right now and being 21 weeks puts me over the halfway mark so that is good. But I really, really am not enjoying pregnancy. I feel like throwing up all the time, still!! Plus the addition of the iron supplements that my OB recommended I think is making it even worse. I am so sick of feeling sick! I am already very uncomfortable in terms of size. I've already gained almost as much weight as I did with my singleton pregnancies. I have no idea where more weight is going to go. Right now it is all in my belly. I have lower back pain and wake up with sore hips. I pee all the time. I am out of breath. I cannot bend over to put on socks/shoes without being in pain. I feel how I did the last few weeks of my singleton pregnancies and the thought of 4 more months of this makes me want to cry.

I am short-tempered, exhausted all the time and just plain grumpy. It takes me forever to get anything done. I can't remember the last time dh and I were intimate. I feel so sick I don't like being close to anyone, even my own children. I miss cuddling up with them but it's so hard when I just want to curl up by myself and sleep.

The weather sucks. We have so much snow, it's -25C and I no longer have snow pants that fit or a coat that does up. If we go someplace I need to get all 3 of us ready in full snow gear.

I am counting down almost every day and while I know the time will pass I really just feel so blah right now. Maybe it's some kind of pre-pardum depression, maybe it's the weather or some other kind of stress. I'm sorry to post so much negativity and up until now I've been pretty positive but right now everything seems awful.

SAHM to 2 year olds Tesla and Lucius. twins.gif
#6 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 04:32 PM

I am still nauseous, depressed, and uncomfortable too...I don't know HOW I'd manage if it were twins. It really is a one day at a time deal. I don't have any advice, just .

As for the iron, have you tried a liquid supplement like Floradix/Floravital instead? It's not supposed to constipate at all, and never has for me.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#7 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 04:36 PM

((((hugs))))

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#8 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulakris View Post
You are so allowed to vent! Another iron suggestion... Floradix liquid iron. It doesn't taste great, but I didn't think it was that bad. But it is veggie based, and very easy on the stomach. It has been very helpful for me. It says that it could stain teeth, but I don't know anyone this actually happened to, so I wouldn't worry too much. You can find it at any health food store. Good luck! I really hope you feel better soon!

Kris
Floradix is great! I think it actually tastes good and gentle on stomach and no constipation.
#9 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for letting me come here and vent. It means a lot when I'm feeling housebound like this.

Question re: the floradix. I was taking floravit 2x/day as recommended by my midwife. That was giving me 174 mg/day. That's also the amount recommended on the bottle. I had to hold my nose to get it down though . My OB recommends 600mg/day after 20 weeks for twins. That's a lot of floravit and I'm not sure what the daily recommendations are on the B vitamins (which is also in the floravit) and if I would be exceeding them - kwim? Any thoughts?

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#10 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 08:30 PM

Just adding my sympathy as well!! You totally deserve to vent!

I'm finding it hard to really enjoy this pregnancy as well and feeling totally guilty about it. I'm not feeling as bad as the 1st tri, but am just not getting the energy and perk up I expected. At this point I'm not sure I will. I still have some nausea every now and then, but certainly nothing compared to some of you other poor mamas! On the other hand, I do feel like being with DH, but he is much less interested out of his concern for me. He's really on my case about weight gain, or rather the lack of. I'm still losing. I just can't eat much at any one time, maybe half of what I usually would. I'm eating quite healthy and often to make up for how little I can eat at once, but there's only so much I can get down. I've certainly got some extra weight on me and I figure the gain will come, maybe later rather than sooner. I've always had more of a problem gaining too much.

Someone else mentioned enjoying the sun and I find it really helps me as well! We're even in a pretty sunny climate, but the spring weather we've been getting here and there does a lot for me! Just sitting out for a bit soaking it up makes me feel tons better.
#11 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 11:14 PM

no advice, just Hang in there mama & vent away

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page