Cord wrapped around neck - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My best friend (as close to a sister as I'll get) had her baby yesterday - yeah! He was 7 lb 10 oz. She had to have an emergency C-section after dr. realized there was cord compression due to baby heartbeat issues. It actually was wrapped around his neck and arms...bad. But he was perfect and is still great.

This was her second child, and now that I think about it, everyone that has had their second child has mentioned the cord was wrapped around the neck. Most were able to deliver no problem, but a couple, like my friend, had issues. Thank goodness her doc made the right decision to take the baby.

Do you think that the cord being wrapped around the neck is more prevalent in the second (or future) births? Does this worry you at all??

I really want another vaginal, wonderful, birth, and I realize they are not all textbook. Am I putting too much worry on this issue since I can't control it being around the neck??

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 05:01 PM

At what point did the doctor realize there was a problem? Was she in labor? If so, was pitocin involved at all? I ask because pitocin can really stress a baby out and cause heart beat irregularites too and then result in an emergency c-section and then of course the doc comes out looking like a hero.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:06 PM

My third baby's cord was wrapped all around her body like a spiral. She had decels in late labor that had the doctor talking emergency c-section, but luckily my transitions go really fast and she was born quickly enough to prevent it. My labor was long (27 hours with induction) and the decels worsened as she descended, but since I went from 5cm to delivery in less than 30 minutes, there was no need for the surgery.

Had it taken longer to deliver, I'm sure there would have been the surgery.

I think two of my other babies had the cord "around the neck," where the MW or doctor just pulled it over their heads on the way out. That's pretty common.

I don't worry about it. I had a lady tell me last weekend that I should never sit with my legs crossed because it greatly increases my chances of having a cord prolapse. I thought, "Say what?" She's also one of these people that believes a pregnant woman reaching for something that is above head-level will cause the cord to wrap around the baby. :

I don't worry about it. I know that is one of those things you can't control. Nothing that you actually do will cause the cord to wrap around the baby (or to prolapse, unless you are at high risk and ignore instructions from your care provider).

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

Old 03-05-2008, 05:19 PM

all three of my babes were born with the cord around their neck. I don't remember it being any kind of problem other than the dr/midwife just moving it as the head delivered.

Since we are having a homebirth, one of the questions I get asked a lot is "what happens if the cord is around the babys neck" I just smile and say "then we remove it?"
Old 03-05-2008, 05:33 PM

I've heard that only really smart babies keep the cord around their necks...it keeps the cord out of trouble (eg: it doesn't prolapse).

My daughter had the cord around her neck and was an easy vaginal delivery.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia View Post
I've heard that only really smart babies keep the cord around their necks...it keeps the cord out of trouble (eg: it doesn't prolapse).
:

DD was born with it wrapped around her neck twice... it showed up on the ultrasound the week before... I didn't know about it but I remember back to seeing her right nuchal cord x2 on the screen and didn't know what it meant until much later.

I was induced and she came out blue... but she was fine Her apgars were great once the cord came off... I did have an extremely long cord. The doctor was amazed at the length

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:08 PM

My 1st DD's cord was tight around her neck twice at delivery. The midwife was concerned a little that I may have had a short cord and didn't want to deliver her like that and risk pulling on the placenta. So she had DH cut the cord right then, before the rest of her was delivered.

Not perfect, but she was fine. I would have liked to keep the cord attached longer, but in this case I can see why she was concerned. It was tight and fully wrapped twice - like a little neck brace. I supose she also didn't want o risk strangeling the baby on the way out too!

I'm glad though that she still let my DH cut it, even under the circumstances.

Oh, and no, I'm in no way worried that the cord around the neck will cause any problems for us if it pops up again. I think a lot of the time there are other factors going on as well and that "the cord around the neck" is an easy answer for why a cs was done. And, I in no way mean to imply that your friend had an uneeded cs, just that there was probably a better/different reason that the baby was deceling. The cord probably didnt help the situation, but I highly doubt it was the only reason for it, make sence?

I hope mom and baby are doing well now, though. (sigh) just a few more months and we'll ALL be holding new babies! Can you believe it's march already!!

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

Old 03-05-2008, 07:10 PM

My 2nd baby (9lbs5oz) had a nuchal cord, as well as a hand by his face. He was just fine, but it was a VERY fast labor...I always wonder if the baby knew that he just needed to get right out because of the cord.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 03-05-2008, 07:55 PM

I didn't, but my borthers were both born with chord around the neck...my youngest had a 4 time arounder...he was almost 11 lbs.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 PM

The cord being wrapped is actually pretty common, it usually doesn't cause problems. Sometimes, like with your friend it can become compressed but there are usually indicators of that during the labor.

We didn't have a wrapped cord with dd but a short cord in a true knot.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 03-05-2008, 10:52 PM

The cord was wrapped around my 2nd childs neck 2x, and around my 3rd childs neck 3x, and they are/were both fine.

The cord was wrapped around my 4th childs neck and chest and she passed away from it. She died on March 10th 2006 and I delivered her on March 11th 2006.

After Kamryn passed, it took us almost 2 years, and 3 miscarriages to get this far again.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 03-06-2008, 12:16 AM

I typically wouldn't worry about it... I think a lot of times pitocin causes more compression, as well as artificial rupture of membranes, since there's no more cushioning. Add those two together and it's easy to squeeze an already tight cord, KWIM?

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

Old 03-06-2008, 12:28 AM

I wouldnt worry about the cord being wrapped around anywhere... Just birth slow and undo the cord... If it cant be undone without birthing quickly, then Id birth quickly and then undo the cord
Old 03-06-2008, 12:41 AM

I wouldn't be concerned, either. We have had four, none with the cord around the neck.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenk View Post

The cord was wrapped around my 4th childs neck and chest and she passed away from it. She died on March 10th 2006 and I delivered her on March 11th 2006.

After Kamryn passed, it took us almost 2 years, and 3 miscarriages to get this far again.
I'm sorry.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:32 AM

Honestly, she probably didn't need a c-section. Most of the time changing position can take pressure off the cord but many docs aren't willing to "allow" women to deliver in any position but on their backs.

A cord being wrapped around the neck or any other body part is very rarely an issue. Its covered with a thick substance called Wharton's Jelly that protects it from compression and true knots.

Sometimes 'cord around the neck' is the given reason for still births but its not really a problem, its just an excuse given because the parents want an answer (obviously).

There are some that actually think the cord is more protected around the neck because that space protects if from compression during pushing.

If you think about it logically a baby isn't breathing so it can't be "strangled" by its cord.

I'm sorry your friend had a traumatic experience and subsequent surgery. I've had one myself and its not pleasant!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:12 AM

My DD had the cord around her neck twice. The MW was just able to remove it. I also did a lot of changing position during labor. My cord was long too.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, in this instance the doc was great. He had her change to positions, even squatting, side lying, 8 different times to push to see if it changed the heartbeat issues. Each time it got worse, and he said it was too risky, given they had tried very different positions, to keep pushing. I know he made the right decision in this instance, and I pray my doc will be this patient and confident (and I'm sure he will, hence why I picked him).

Tenk - I'm so sorry for your loss.

PS even with all the stories of successful births with the wrapped cord, I still worry...maybe I just need something to worry about

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!

User Tag List