I'm so screwed :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my second time trying to post--nothing I do is going right today!
I had the worse midwife appt today. I've spilled a lot of glucose, protein, and white blood cells in my urine on 2 occasions so far. I also gained 9 pounds in one month so I have to go see a nutritionist. good grief I lost 15 pounds in the first 4 mo and I've just been able to eat again in the past few weeks. My midwife checked my blood glucose a little later on in my appt and the level was fine (89). She told me to get a glucose monitor so I did and checked I hour after lunch and the reading was 123. So just fine? I don't get it--what's wrong with my urine when I do the strip test? So after a long lecture (as I am holding back tears) she pretty much thinks I have GD. I feel sooo crappy right now. Of course I will go to see the nutritionist and try to cut out more refined carbs, but I just can't do anything right this time around. Oh yeah and next week I have to go do the glucose test at the lab--I hope I don't puke up the syrup. Also, I apparently have no reflexes in my legs--she couldn't get anything to happen with that little hammer. I want to crawl up in a hole and never come out.:
#2 of 24 Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 PM

I'm so sorry...my best friend that just delivered had, what we jokingly called 'GD' GD I know that it does not mean you can get your "eat" on while you are pregnant, but I truly understand the need for the diet now after watching her. Prior to being diagnosed, she did eat way too many carbs (she's veggie, so most of her protein was carb based) and she started having symptoms after she'd eat...which she knows now was spiking blood sugar. At least you know so you can get it under control and be healthy, and hopefully never experience the negative effects of diabetes.

I hope you see a good nutritionist. Hers was very helpful designing meals she could eat without meat, and actually told her that IT ISN'T YOUR FAULT that you have GD. It is just the way your placenta is causing your body to break down sugar. You can have it with this one and not with any future ones. Please don't feel like you've done something wrong, it just exists. Thank goodness your mw caught it before you started feeling bad.

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
#3 of 24 Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 PM

Big hugs mama! You will get thru this... One ittty bitty step at a time. I hate those days/weeks/months when you feel like NOTHING can go your way. We're here for ya mama

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#4 of 24 Old 03-07-2008, 03:13 AM

No advice, but wanted to say I hope things get better for you.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#5 of 24 Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM

Is it possible the mw's strips have expired or aren't functioning properly? If you spilled that much on one strip, but the blood looked normal, I'd question that first and foremost. Technology is only as good as it is accurate.
I'm sorry it was so hard. Maybe just being aware of your diet is all it will take. I was counseled pretty hard last time to eat better, and it is hard not to feel totally defensive, knowing you are doing your best, and being told it's just not good enough.
I hope life improves for you soon.
#6 of 24 Old 03-07-2008, 05:49 PM

No advice, except to say hang in there. Lots of love and encouragement to you, mama.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#7 of 24 Old 03-07-2008, 05:55 PM

123 is a little high for one hour after you eat.

Around here, they like for fasting (first thing in the morning) levels to be less than 90, then your one hour after eating levels to be less than 120.

I hope that today was a fluke, and everything is great.
#8 of 24 Old 03-07-2008, 06:47 PM

I'm feeling for you mama! I am in the same boat and know the frustration it causes! I hope everything turns out well for you and you get it all resolved!
#9 of 24 Old 03-07-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the encouragement. I still feel totally crappy and depressed it is hard not to feel defensive, like someone posted above.

As far as the blood levels go, my midwife said anything less than 130-140 one hr after starting to eat is ok. I'm pretty sure her strips are working because I didn't have anything wrong with my sample on my last visit. Well I guess I better go make an appt with the nutritionist before they close.
#10 of 24 Old 03-07-2008, 08:22 PM

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#11 of 24 Old 03-14-2008, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

I just got back home from taking the one hour glucola--it was gross drinking that syrup and now I feel sort of shaky and light headed. I hope I passed! I don't want to take the 3 hr because there is no way my husband could take off work and also I'd have to take public transportation or a taxi. I've heard people feel really ill after that 3 hr test. Well, I find out in about 3-4 days so I'll post here again if anyone is interested.
#12 of 24 Old 03-14-2008, 07:54 PM

I did the 3 hour test with my last baby--it wasn't that bad. (()) to you. HOpefully, you won't even have to have it at all.
#13 of 24 Old 03-14-2008, 09:21 PM

Listen, mama, I was 'diagnosed' with GD during my last pregnancy, and the doc wanted to send me home on insulin...I said "no way". There are a number of things that can help. Dessicated liver, blueberries, and there's a few others. I started taking these right away. I also got a glucometer and pricked my finger 4-5 times a day. That is the real proof in the puddin. Use your glucometer. Relax. and try to get a copy of the book by Anne Frye, I think it's called "understanding testing for the childbearing year" or something like that. There is a whole section in there about what a farce the glucose tests are. I mean, who gets all sugared up and then sits still for three hours????? That is not reasonable human behavior, and the glucose is seriously evil and disgusting. There is an alternate test (which you should push for with your midwife...mention the book) that is basically having a really sweet, but balanced breakfast...pancakes with syrup, orange juice, eggs, whatever. And a big, sweet breakfast. Then you just go about your real life and take blood sugar levels at 1 hour, 2 hours, and 3. This is a totally realistic and fair way of doing a glucose test. In fact, if you already have a glucometer, just do the test yourself, prick your finger, and show her the results. (Make sure you document what you eat exactly.) If your blood sugar is ok, it's ok. You don't need to drink that fake crap and then agonize in some waiting room for three hours. PM me if you want some more support....I think I still have that stuff laying around somewhere. Dessicated liver can be bought at a health food store in capsules...it sounds gross but it works. Good Luck!
#14 of 24 Old 03-14-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieo View Post
Listen, mama, I was 'diagnosed' with GD during my last pregnancy, and the doc wanted to send me home on insulin...I said "no way". There are a number of things that can help. Dessicated liver, blueberries, and there's a few others. I started taking these right away. I also got a glucometer and pricked my finger 4-5 times a day. That is the real proof in the puddin. Use your glucometer. Relax. and try to get a copy of the book by Anne Frye, I think it's called "understanding testing for the childbearing year" or something like that. There is a whole section in there about what a farce the glucose tests are. I mean, who gets all sugared up and then sits still for three hours????? That is not reasonable human behavior, and the glucose is seriously evil and disgusting. There is an alternate test (which you should push for with your midwife...mention the book) that is basically having a really sweet, but balanced breakfast...pancakes with syrup, orange juice, eggs, whatever. And a big, sweet breakfast. Then you just go about your real life and take blood sugar levels at 1 hour, 2 hours, and 3. This is a totally realistic and fair way of doing a glucose test. In fact, if you already have a glucometer, just do the test yourself, prick your finger, and show her the results. (Make sure you document what you eat exactly.) If your blood sugar is ok, it's ok. You don't need to drink that fake crap and then agonize in some waiting room for three hours. PM me if you want some more support....I think I still have that stuff laying around somewhere. Dessicated liver can be bought at a health food store in capsules...it sounds gross but it works. Good Luck!
Thanks for the advice,I'll look into that book and the dessicated liver. I think my midwife is just following protocol since 2 of my dipsticks came back with really high levels of glucose, and I gained 9 pounds in just 4 weeks. BUT I found out after reading a little on the internet that high amounts of ascorbic acid can cause glucose in your urine too. Guess what I have been taking in high amounts (for allergies)? I switched to sodium asorbate so hopefully that won't happen anymore. I got some keto/glucose sticks and have been checking in the morning--no glucose but trace amounts of ketones. I don't get how I am getting ketones in there when I have gained 2 pounds in the last 4 days (I'm only supposed to gain 4 more pounds total until July--this is where you roll your eyes). I'm stressing myself out with all this testing and worrying--it can't be good for anyone. My toddler is getting ignored as I worry about eating 1/2 or the whole banana and whether or not to drink another glass of milk.

I wish I could have eaten the jellybeans but she would have charged me $175for the extra visit, plus the lab work. Ugh everything is so expensive here in Cali. Anyway, I talked to the nutritionist and she sounded so nice on the phone so I have an appointment next week Wednesday.
#15 of 24 Old 03-15-2008, 01:18 AM

I'm glad you're feeling better. Don't worry about the 4 pounds you have left to gain...that crap is such a myth. Most moms I know gain an AVERAGE of 50 pounds. Drink your milk and eat your banana. Your nutritionist is probably going to be great, and don't sweat it...it's not worth it. You will be ok.
#16 of 24 Old 03-15-2008, 02:48 PM

I was diagnosed with GD for my second pregnancy and now I'm haveing similar symptoms with my third. I know it can be agonizing and unfair.

Last time I was guilted by a nutritionist for having 2 glucose tests over 120 (and barely) in a month and told if I didn't do better, I would have to go on insulin! At the time, I was uninformed enough to believe her and felt terrible. I would cry at restaurants, starving and trying to figure out what I could eat.

This time I have armed myself with information. Just like prairieo (and thank you, prairieo, for the research, I hadn't found that book yet!) said, there is a ton of misinformation regarding blood glucose levels during pregnancy. For one thing, the tests are terribly unscientific. Also, no one has ever monitored a "normal" woman's glucose level during pregnancy. To me, it all seems like a giant ploy to make money. Worse, it further underminds a woman's confidence in her body. No one should be shamed for a blood glucose test result!

I've learned about some other things, through observation, about what affects the testing. Stress! When I'm pissed off, my blood sugar jacks up. I can be fasting and test when I'm mad and it wil be high. Exercise is another thing, initially, my blood sugar will dip down when I'm more active, but then after a while it will spike, I think it's compensation. I think my body knows it might need more sugar if I'm working harder.

If I were you, I wouldn't even get the test, I would just monitor sugar levels at home for a while and experiment a little bit. See what spikes your sugar and what doesn't and develop your own eating plan to keep it in check. If you have to get a diagnosis to have access to the monitor, I guess the test won't hurt anything.

Please don't let anyone make you feel bad. You aren't doing anything wrong. Most likely, your body and your baby are perfectly healthy.
#17 of 24 Old 03-15-2008, 07:48 PM

thanks, redorchid. I just dug out my photocopies from the book. It's really worth it...and any midwife worth her salt should be familiar with Anne Frye...she's very well known and respected.

The title of the book is "Understanding Diagnostic Tests in the Childbearing Year."

Again, I agree, checking your own blood sugar and watching for what other factors have to do with it helps a great deal. If you really can't find or get a glucometer, I have one. I can mail it to you. I have all the prickers and stuff too.

(I'm planning on not needing it, of course!)

xoxoxoxoxo
#18 of 24 Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well I found out my test results today. I barely passed the glucose screening test--139 and my hospital's cutoff is 140. Bleh. Also the A1 blood test (that shows what your blood has been like for the past 2-3 mo) was sort of high at 5.7%. It's supposed to be under 6%. So I don't have to take the 3 hr test (yahoo), but I have to poke myself 4X a day and be on the GD diet. Crappy. Now I am going to spend ALL my time worrying about food. At least this way I won't gain a bunch of weight but I feel so stressed out about everything. Sigh, I guess it's not all bad news but I feel like I have failed in some way (even though it's not my fault). Hopefully all the readings will be good and I won't have to take the glucose test again. I am planning on refusing a second test. If all my blood sugar readings are normal, do you think this is reasonable? The balance for my midwife's fees are due in a few weeks and if she is going to require another glucose test in a few weeks regardless of my blood sugar levels, do you think I should find someone else? I don't think I can go through with that test another time.
#19 of 24 Old 03-20-2008, 01:20 AM

I don't know, but I don't think anyone should have to take that test more than once in a pgcy.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#20 of 24 Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 AM

If you are already doing the treatment (the diet and frequent sugar checks) that happens when you don't pass the 3 hour, what's the point of doing another 3 hour?

I wouldn't do another one. Not if I was already doing the diet.
#21 of 24 Old 03-20-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
If you are already doing the treatment (the diet and frequent sugar checks) that happens when you don't pass the 3 hour, what's the point of doing another 3 hour?

I wouldn't do another one. Not if I was already doing the diet.
:
#22 of 24 Old 03-20-2008, 11:38 PM

I would just refuse the other test.. If you are having other issues with your midwife then by all means switch to one you like.
#23 of 24 Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 AM

As long as your monitoring your blood sugar, that should be more beneficial than another glucose test. By looking at your readings they should be able to tell if diet is controlling the insulin levels, or whether you need to be on insulin pills. The test simplify identifies a problem but does not tell his severity, or lack of severity as hopefully in your case. I would not take another test.

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
#24 of 24 Old 03-23-2008, 12:56 AM

I would not take the 3 hour. You're already poking yourself. There is nothing they are going to find out from the 3 hour that you can't provide with your own pokes. You are at the point in your pregnancy when blood sugar is highest. If you made it, even just barely, by your hospital's standards, you still made it. You are going to know if there's a problem in those blood sugar levels you take. And if you see it higher than you are comfortable with, then do something. Other than that, take it easy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page