the name thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 76 Old 03-14-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's got to be a few of us left still unsure on names. I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we just throw out names, ask opinions, or just complain why or partners don't agree.

Okay so I'd love to call my girl Ava Jolie. But dh says Ava is way too common. (and it is, though I don't know a single one) So he's only up for the Jolie part. Others I like is Keira, and Meadow. Dh thinks Meadow is too hippy.

What names are you working on?
#2 of 76 Old 03-14-2008, 06:08 PM

First name will be Sawyer but middle name is the big problem and no matter what middle name we give him no one will be happy
#3 of 76 Old 03-14-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky monkey View Post
First name will be Sawyer but middle name is the big problem and no matter what middle name we give him no one will be happy
I really like Sawyer, that's a good start. You're looking for a Christian middle name, right?
#4 of 76 Old 03-14-2008, 06:58 PM

We are thinking of carrying on family names...we did that with both previous children.

So as we are going through family names, here are some of our choices:

Burleigh
Zeno
Evie
Eli Hugh

non-family names:

Ozma
Tirzah
Crickett

Is Crickett too out there (or whatever you want to call it)?
#5 of 76 Old 03-14-2008, 07:27 PM

we know we are having a girl and we cant decide on a name. with my other babies i already had a name and now i feel like im behind here are the ones we like:

cassie
kendall
emmerson

and then with adding a middle name:

cassie june
emmerson june
emmerson darline
kendall cassie

i just dont know. the dh kind of wants something that goes with our other daughter's name which is addison and we call her addi so he was thinking something like allisa and alli for short.... any ideas?

Momma Morgan to Addison (3), Sydnee (1), Kimber 4/18/2010,and one angel 7-2009
#6 of 76 Old 03-14-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinespurlock View Post
I really like Sawyer, that's a good start. You're looking for a Christian middle name, right?
yep thats what i want dp could care less he just wants one name and one name only that i wont agree with. I like Malachi and Noah so far
#7 of 76 Old 03-14-2008, 10:14 PM

We are having a girl and have no idea what her name will be. We like the idea of the name having a "y" in it somewhere. Currently on our list: Rory, Avery, Ilyana, Addyson and Bailey. That is just a mish-mash of ideas...we are definitely open to suggestions!

Mom to DD(5), DD(3) and Someone New (2/12); Married to "The Husband" since 9/02.

#8 of 76 Old 03-14-2008, 10:51 PM

We've not even started - every time I bring it up we get distracted with other thoughts. I do have a running list going and figure we'll eventually pick out a couple names (hopefully we'll agree) and then wait and see which one fits when we meet the little one.

My fear is that birth will come and do and we'll still not have gotten around to it.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#9 of 76 Old 03-14-2008, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeKisha View Post
We are thinking of carrying on family names...we did that with both previous children.

Burleigh
Zeno
Evie
Eli Hugh

non-family names:

Ozma
Tirzah
Crickett

I just love Evie. I picture a pretty girl with a little spunk.
#10 of 76 Old 03-14-2008, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeKisha View Post

Burleigh
Zeno
Evie
Eli Hugh

non-family names:

Ozma
Tirzah
Crickett

I just love Evie. I picture a pretty girl with a little spunk. Crickett is too out there for me, but maybe as a middle name.
#11 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneMom View Post
We are having a girl and have no idea what her name will be. We like the idea of the name having a "y" in it somewhere. Currently on our list: Rory, Avery, Ilyana, Addyson and Bailey. That is just a mish-mash of ideas...we are definitely open to suggestions!
I really love Rory. Can you type out how to pronounce Ilyana? I'm really bad at that.
#12 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
yep thats what i want dp could care less he just wants one name and one name only that i wont agree with. I like Malachi and Noah so far
Care to share that name? My dh is stuck on Memphis or Montana for the middle name. If it has to be an M I'd go for Meadow.
#13 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 12:19 AM

Evie is my mother's first name....its not the EE-VEE pronounciation, but the EH-VEE way. I hope that makes since. The reason I explain is that my dsd is Olivia, but everyone calls her Livi.

Does anyone think they rhyme too much? or just too close in sound to each other? I don't want to take away from dsd, but I would kind of like to honor my mother by using her name. She goes by her middle name, Dorene.
#14 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 12:46 AM

I am still haven't picked a name. I have a list of mostly girl names, because I think that I am having a girl. I won't know for sure until the baby is born. I have had this same list for awhile and haven't worked on it for quite some time. I don't like most baby name books. My mom is getting me a book called Best Exotic Baby Names for my birthday in a couple weeks. I can't wait to read it and start working on my list some more.

Girl Names:
Arwyn Mystere
Kalina Soleil
Kalina Violet
Araya Rose
Satia Emavere
Adria
Vera

Boy Names:
Emrys Rune
Gavesha
Merlin

Mother to two great kids. &
#15 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
I really love Rory. Can you type out how to pronounce Ilyana? I'm really bad at that.
We love Rory too but we are concerned it's too Gilmore Girls!

Ilyana--ill-e-ah-na

Mom to DD(5), DD(3) and Someone New (2/12); Married to "The Husband" since 9/02.

#16 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Names are seriously sucking over here... at least every second day I ask about them...

Here is where we got today with the convo.

DD has her first name "B" and then her first middle name "M" and then because we weren't married and a little bit I wanted that security until we were she had my maiden name "M" and his last name "B" as two seperate (not hypenated) last names... So she looks like this "B""M""M""B". Our goal was always to put my maiden name into the second middle spot once we were married. We are now but noone can really answer my question on how to do it at vital statistics... they all give me different conflicting answers.

DH said at first he wanted two middle names for his children... then he took that back... But he has two middles, our DD will/has two middles and I've considered putting my maiden as a second middle as well.

Now we are onto this child. We've come to the conclusion (I was for and he was against) that they were all going to have two middles now as to not feel left out.. But we didn't know whether we should put my maiden as the second middle for all the children.... *sigh* naming is just too hard.

So what we HAVE decided is NO we are not going to put the second middle as my maiden, YES they all will have two middles and YES the second middle of each child will be a cherished family name.

We aren't really discussing names even though on here I know it wouldn't be as big of a deal but I still don't want to hear the I don't like that... lol I'll let it be "behind my back" after the child is born. (this is how hubby's aunts described it....

We have a pretty good possibility for our girl first name and we KNOW what her second middle will be... the first middle will be something we both like and that flows well

For the boy we have NO CLUE on the first name but pretty much have both the middle names picked out.

Ok that was long and winded... Oh and we aren't using the boy "first" name from last time (the middles are from last time) only because it's populated into a huge girls name and our families and friends gave us so much grief over it. I still guiltly love it and DH didn't when DD was born and now he does like it too but alas we decided we won't use it unless there really is NO OTHER OPTION... and well we can come up with a couple others we kinda like.

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#17 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Care to share that name? My dh is stuck on Memphis or Montana for the middle name. If it has to be an M I'd go for Meadow.
He wants his middle name which is Lynn and to me it is a girls name and not biblical and not something i will name our son.
#18 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 AM

We're having a boy, and although we had a girls name picked out, we had no boys name ideas (except for the one my BFF just used for her son!). So we have been through the following:

Nathaniel David
Andrew Gregory

Now we like Matthew, but even though it fits well in the family names, I'm not that fond of it. We are Jewish, and I can't help but think of the 12 apostles when I say it...oy vey. So, Matthew WHAT is the question. We like:

Matthew David (makes an easy Hebrew name)
Matthew Brian or Bryant (would love a B name, since M starts DH's name)

I LOVED most all of the girls names you all have mentioned, so I'll be no help there...

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
#19 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 11:59 AM

NeKisha-I really like the name Evie.
Morganstar-Cassie June is a great name and I think it sounds good with Addi. Emerson sounds close to Addison to me.
EugeneMom-I like Avery.
Ahimsa-I like Kalina Soleil.

Mama to DS 7/23/08.
#20 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 12:23 PM

My new little niece is Rory Dakota Lynn. But her uncle likes to call her "Poppin' Fresh". She's a sturdy girl - but she's also opinionated and alert and smiley.
#21 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
He wants his middle name which is Lynn and to me it is a girls name and not biblical and not something i will name our son.
I agree I've only known girl's with Lynn in their name. It's nice that he's trying to honor you, but I wouldn't go for it either.
#22 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneMom View Post
We love Rory too but we are concerned it's too Gilmore Girls!

Ilyana--ill-e-ah-na
But I just love Rory from Gilmore Girls!
#23 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
My dh is stuck on Memphis or Montana for the middle name.
oh, I really like those for a girl!

Quote:
fwiw, I do know a couple of men w/ the name Lynn (one first, one middle)
#24 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madiesmommy View Post
Matthew David (makes an easy Hebrew name)
Ah, my DH is Matthew David...(the funny part of it is, he's a Lutheran pastor, lol!) His middle name is after his dad, though.

We have settled on Lucy for a first name (after the main character in the Chronicles of Narnia) and are leaning toward Kathryn as a middle name, but that's still pretty up in the air, for sure. We also like Marie, Christine, and Clare... It's kind of fun knowing that she's a girl--we didn't know with our first two kiddos... Certainly makes the naming process a little shorter!
#25 of 76 Old 03-15-2008, 10:21 PM

We found out the other day we're having a boy, and now all I see are really good girl names! So far we have Luca and Lorcan (lor-kin, it's a gelic family name) but we're pretty sure Lorcan is out the door as a first name.

I'm looking for something foreign but not weird foreign. We have a friend who's sons are named elijah, meteaus and Malachy (mal-uh-keye) and we like all of those, although we're not looking for anything specifically biblical.

Ugh.......I feel like it's on the edge of my brain sometimes, and other times I have no idea what his name is. So funny, with my daughter, I knew her name when she was 6 months....
#26 of 76 Old 03-16-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilu'okalani View Post
We found out the other day we're having a boy, and now all I see are really good girl names! So far we have Luca and Lorcan (lor-kin, it's a gelic family name) but we're pretty sure Lorcan is out the door as a first name.
Luca is my ds's middle name. It's very popular here in many parts of Europe...so nothing weird about it at all. Simply the Italian version of Luke. I love it!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#27 of 76 Old 03-16-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmom View Post
Ah, my DH is Matthew David...(the funny part of it is, he's a Lutheran pastor, lol!) His middle name is after his dad, though.

We actually picked Matthew when I was pregnant with dd...when I was a United Methodist (even though inactive) and because he was one of the apostles...we still love the ring to it, but I have since converted to Judaism so I had to find another reason I could use it. Your husband might like to learn that his name originates from Mattathius, father of Judah Macabee, the Jew that fought for us at Chanukah to worship one god, a story we tell again and again each year.

On that note, I'm pretty sure it will be Matthew David here. DH loves David, and even though this strays from our initials, aka the plan, I can live with that name.

PS I LOVE Luca for first or middle name!!
And every Lucy I know has been a strong woman, artistic, with a good heart. I don't think you could go wrong with that name.

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
#28 of 76 Old 03-16-2008, 11:14 AM

Well I had the perfect girl's name picked out but in the ultrasound we saw a definite penis! LOL
I finally conviced DH to compromise on the "jr" issue and we will have Steve (and it is just Steve not Steven) as a middle name instead of first name. Now he just shoots down all the other names I throw out there though.

Adam Steve (my favorite)
Charles Steve (could be Charlie for short - although hubby would call him Chuck! - this is a very close second)
Noah Steve
Nathan Steve
Caleb Steve
Gavin Steve

There's a lot of names that dh likes but are already in the family or people that I know and don't like! (I hate that! What a way to ruin a good name! lol)

Abigail (Abby) Marie was my girl's name if anyone wants it. :-)

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#29 of 76 Old 03-16-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaJenn View Post
Well I had the perfect girl's name picked out but in the ultrasound we saw a definite penis! LOL
I finally conviced DH to compromise on the "jr" issue and we will have Steve (and it is just Steve not Steven) as a middle name instead of first name. Now he just shoots down all the other names I throw out there though.

Adam Steve (my favorite)
Charles Steve (could be Charlie for short - although hubby would call him Chuck! - this is a very close second)
Noah Steve
Nathan Steve
Caleb Steve
Gavin Steve

There's a lot of names that dh likes but are already in the family or people that I know and don't like! (I hate that! What a way to ruin a good name! lol)

Abigail (Abby) Marie was my girl's name if anyone wants it. :-)
I like Gavin the best! Abigail Marie is really pretty! We loved our boy name and are having a girl, he would have been Trey Caspian. Adam is a really solid name. You know I've just started to talk to my belly calling her by the name I want hoping dh will just start loving the name (Ava Jolie)
#30 of 76 Old 03-16-2008, 12:06 PM

It's so funny because we had our boy name "set"--Henry Maxwell. This was the name we were going to use last time because we had convinced ourselves that we were having a boy. I threw out Maya's name on the way to the hospital and we were surprised to use it. Hopefully it won't take until the drive to the hospital to figure out what this little bug's name will be!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page