Red Raspberry Leaf tea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ordered some loose organic tea from mountainroseherbs.com--I got red raspberry leaf tea and nettle leaf (I heard the nettles are good for pollen allergies). I used 2 tsp of each per cup of water and then steeped it for 30 min in a french press. Does this sound about right? It tastes soooo good since I've been restricted to nothing but milk and water for the past 2 weeks. I tried finding recipes online but everything is by weight and I don't have one of those scales yet. I know there is a HUGE RRL tea thread but my head started spinning just reading the first few pages. Anyone else drinking RRL tea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2008, 01:13 AM

I am. I'm not even entirely certain why it is so good for me, LOL. Is that aweful? I think the midwife said something about it helping the uterine muscle be strong and thus have better, more rhythmic contractions. Maybe I am really off base here. Please someone enlighten me, too. I am the blind leading the blind.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:52 AM

I am just doing Yogi Tea's Mother to Be Tea (it has RL). I really like it, especially lately, and I have been drinking several mugs a day. I like the convenience of the tea bag, but I may go ahead and order RL bulk for my last trimester. When I brew my tea bag I just keep the tea bag in until I am done drinking it, so it probably ends up steeping for 15-30 min.

Mother to two great kids. &
Old 03-15-2008, 02:14 AM

I got you covered ladies. Red raspberry leaf is a uterine tonic. It helps the in so many ways, therefore, it is recommended for drinking over the entire pregnancy. Yes, it helps the uterus to be able to contract more effectively, to expel the placenta more efficiently,and to get back into shape quicker after delivery....an overall tonic.

the recipe sounds fine. I just mix a huge bag of red raspberry (uterine tonic) with nettles (iron) rose hips (vit c) chamomile (calmative) mint (for taste) and alfalfa and oatstraw (nutrients) into a jar, and I put a big handful into my french press and steep it for about twenty minutes. For medicinal infusions, the longer the steep time, the stronger the infusion, and i figure why play around with herbs unless you are going to really get the benifits out of them.

I drink the Yogi tea too, by the way, but it really doesn't have enough raspberry to be effective, in my mind. It's more of a selling point...although I do drink it when I get sick of cleaning out my press at work.

Some people might get really nervous about dosages and measuring, but I don't feel that way. Herbs are different from prescription drugs, right?
Old 03-15-2008, 02:23 AM

I have been just throwing a handfull into a quart mason jar, letting it steep for 30 minutes or so. Then I strain it by running it through one of those coffee filter thingies. This is very non-technical, but the 'thingie' is plastic and sits on the top of the mug and holds a filter. When you pour your water through to make coffee, the hole in the 'thingie' is small enough to correctly brew a cup of coffee. It is a little time consuming, but effective.

Wow...that was an odd description, but I think I may have gotten my point across, maybe

I also have one of those old-fashioned tea-brewers (I don't know the correct name for ANYTHING tonight...pregnancy brain at it's finest here)....it is a little metal contraption, with small holes, that holds the loose leaves and sinks into your cup of boiling water. That seems to work great as well.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:20 PM

I recently stopped taking a blend from a local herbalist that included RRL, nettles, red clover, oatstraw, and mint. I actually hate the taste of mint, so I wish I could have taken that out. But I was having frequent contractions, and I wondered if that had anything to do with my bleeding, so I'm experimenting with stopping for awhile.

When I did take it, I put about a teaspoon worth into boiling water, and let it steep for 15 minutes. I used a small pot designed for pasta, where the lid has holes in it to drain the water, and that worked well. I drank 2 cups a day, mixed with OJ because I couldn't stand the taste, although I really think the bulk herbs taste better than the prebagged for some reason. Probably psychological. Anyway, I read somewhere that that was the typical dosage, so that's what I did.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:08 PM

i've been drinking pregnancy tea off and on the whole pregnancy so far. in the spring i'll go out and collect wild rrl to replenish my stash(i'm all out!!). i drank rrl and nettle tea a lot with dd, and i really feel like it helped. i don't know where to find nettles this time around, so i may order some. i have trouble with my iron sometimes, and i think the nettle helps.

i just throw a handful(fresh) or the equavalant of dried into a pot of water on the stove. cover it and turn it on as low as possible. i bring it to a boil very slowly, and then shut it off and let it sit untill i'm ready to drink it. i usually leave the leaves whole, so i don't have to strain it. i just keep pouring cups out of the pot throughout the day.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:21 PM

with # 3 i drank rrl tea at 30 weeks and had to stop, it was giving me ctx very often. mw said to wait till 35 wks. baby was born 1 wk later. if predisposed to preterm cntrx, i would stick to nettles.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
When I did take it, I put about a teaspoon worth into boiling water, and let it steep for 15 minutes. I used a small pot designed for pasta, where the lid has holes in it to drain the water, and that worked well. I drank 2 cups a day, mixed with OJ because I couldn't stand the taste, although I really think the bulk herbs taste better than the prebagged for some reason. Probably psychological. Anyway, I read somewhere that that was the typical dosage, so that's what I did.
I think the loose tea tastes better than the bags too--I found the tea bags were bitter.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:33 AM

My midwife has me taking nettle and red ras. capsules. I am too non compliant to drink tea daily.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:11 PM

I drink RRL tea. I have for my last three pgcies. And it has worked great! With my sixth birth my OB told me I was a "high risk of hemmorage" because that's what happens when you have so many babies. (Personally, I think he was just stupid and ignorant.) But when I gave birth, right on time, after drinking RRL tea the entire time, I had little bleeding and my pp bleeding lasted only seven days. I was very pleased with the results.

I love RRL tea and will always drink it when pg.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:16 AM

I am planning on ordering some bulk RL for my last trimester. Do you ladies have any suggestions on where to order and how much to order?

Mother to two great kids. &
Old 03-17-2008, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
I am planning on ordering some bulk RL for my last trimester. Do you ladies have any suggestions on where to order and how much to order?
I got some from mountainroseherbs.com and ordered the 8 ounce size. If I had to order again I'd probably get the 1 lb size but I wanted to see if it tasted good or not--
Old 03-17-2008, 07:21 AM

another vote for mountainroseherbs.com.. i got the 1 lb size and the herbs are fresh and tasty!

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 AM

I have a pregnancy tea - oat, alfalfa, spearmint, lemongrass, rosehips, nettles rrl etc and then I added mountainrose herbs hibiscus tea (for more vit C - I bleed a lot)
I can't eat a whole lot still and I can only drink cold things. So, I put about a cup/handful of each in a big stock pot and heat it until is barely starts to boil. I let it steep overnight. I strain it and then dilute by adding same amount of water. It can be a bit tart so I sweeten with a local wildflower honey. I guess I have to make it every other day.
I have done it myself or asked a local herb shop to blend so I can get more of the flavours I enjoy. It's been a little different each pregnancy.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:15 PM

Another RRL user here. Though from the experience of my last birth, I have moderated my intake of it somewhat. I drank gallons of it last time, probably a gallon a day of what I call my "Preggo Tea" (RRL, chamomile and peppermint, with a bit of dandelion leaf thrown in for liver function if I start to get itchy towards the end) and as a result, after an extremely tiring prodromal labor, the MWs were barely able to break the water with the amnihook. The birth sac was so thick they were able to hold the placenta up by the sac. (The RRL was not the cause of the long labor, though, just why the water wouldn't break on its own.)

I got all my herbals from Mountain Rose Herbs.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

Old 03-18-2008, 01:36 PM

Where do you get the capsules, I'm not doing so good on the tea part... I am supposed to be drinking it but I'm not a big tea fan and it takes too much time
Old 03-18-2008, 03:27 PM

I've drunk RRL tea w/ all of my pregnancies. It tastes good, and whether it works or not, it's a good caffeine free drink, right? It tastes a lot like regular black tea to me, but less bitter. W/ my oldest, I got it from a local herb store (Sweet Annie Herbs in State College.) I've been getting bulk Frontier herbs, and the RRL from there is very good quality. It is fresh ad tasty.

I haven't been drinking a lot yet, probably 1 cup a day, if that, sometimes more. THe last trimester is when it's supposed to be the most beneficial. In the summer, I like to make it into iced tea sweetened w/ a little honey. I make sure to drink about a quart a day of it in the summer. Making iced tea also makes it easier to drink when it's hot. I have a huge mesh tea ball that I use. It's too big even for my regular sized tea pot, but it's perfect for making a quart of RRL tea. I've never really measuered. I just make it and if it's too weak or strong, I adjust the amount I use in my next batch/cup.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:41 PM

I drank rrl with my first pregnancy from 25 ish weeks on, and with this one from the very beginning. I mix it with some other herbs and use a bodum tea press. I let it steep till it's pretty dark.

I didn't seem to get any of the benefits the first time.... still had my water break early, still had a looooong labor, still bled for 6 weeks. But maybe those were due to other reasons. Anyway I still like it a lot and I hope it works better for me this time.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:01 AM

Hi ladies,
New kid on the forum here!

I am 40 weeks now, and have been drinking RRL throughout my pregnancy (* this is my first). Mostly drinking chilled because I was SO thirsty. However someone was telling me in an email, that for some reason RRL was more effective drunk hot. Has anyone heard this? I never have and I have known about RRL for years.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:48 AM

I've heard about it, but only as it relates to when you actually go into labor. That if you want it for help during labor, drink it as hot as you can stand it... but I don't remember why. Hrm.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 AM

Well now, that is interesting, because I am already in the brginning satge of labor. Been having 55 second and 30+ second contractions all night long. It is 6am here CDT USA and havent been to sleep yet. Drinking hot RRL tea rigtht now. Thanks for the imput! I'll keep drinking it.. hot.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:55 AM

Shiglett, I hope you're holding your babe soon!!! The due in June group is right here if you want to check out what others who are nearing their due date are up to. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=427 Of course, you're welcome wherever, but just thought you might want to find your tribe so to speak. Happy happy birthing!

RRL and me do not go well together. I already contract a lot so RRL just makes my uterus go crazy insane. When I did RRL late during my 2nd pregnancy I was in & out of prodromal labor for SO long finally I stopped the RRL (it's in a lot of prenatals, too fyi) and got some rest!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:26 PM

Oh thank you!! I really do appreciate the encouragement.

So far so good right now. I love RRL tea but I cannot drink the stuff first thing in the morning... makes me throw up! hot or cold. Gotta wait awhile and eat something first. : We shall see.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 PM

I'm staying away from it. I read that it's not a good idea for women at risk for pre-term labor, which would be me!
Old 06-01-2008, 02:20 PM

I'm drinking it cold since it's so hot right now. Anyone else have info on the effectiveness of hot vs. cold? Thanks!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:46 PM

I've been drinking a combo of mostly RRL and Nettles with chamomile, rosehips, alfalfa, dandelion, and a bunch of other herbs that I can't remember ATM for all of my pregnancy this time. This is the first pregnancy I have not been anemic. I steep the herbs for about 8 hours, strain, and drink the tea cold. I don't like hot tea. I got the recipe (and was told to drink it cold) by an herbalist at www.indigoforest.com So I think cold and hot are the same effectiveness.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 06-01-2008, 11:43 PM

I've been drinking store bought RRL, and a pregnancy tonic tea, BUT my Raspberry hedge is now big enough again and growing healthy leaves, so I'm drying a batch of leaves this week, and I'll have homegrown again

User Tag List