Laundry detergent question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-28-2008, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SO....
What are you ladies going to for laundry detergent? I use Melaleuca for our clothes, its supposed to be biodegradable and all that stuff, but can I use that for baby clothes and such?

Is Dreft a good brand? I always see it in stores.

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#2 of 22 Old 03-28-2008, 10:10 PM

I just recently switched to Charlie's Soap laundry powder. I'm pretty happy so far. I made the switch after seeing it recommended by lots of mamas. Supposed to be great for CD's. Love how little is required for our HE washer!
#3 of 22 Old 03-28-2008, 10:21 PM

i use biokleen powder. you don't really need to use separate detergent for babies.
#4 of 22 Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 PM

Eh... I use Tide Pure Essentials for my clothes AND diapers cause I love how it smells. If it gives babe a rash I'll use the leftover melaleuca I have.

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#5 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 08:03 AM

i used dreft on all my son's clothes when he was little, then i got sick of seperating all the loads and started using our regular detergent (cheapest the store has in stock or i make my own with fels naptha soap) and he's been fine, no rash or anything. I think it just depends on how sensitive skinned your baby is.
#6 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 08:50 AM

Skip the Dreft. It's awful IMO. Especially NEVER use it on cloth diapers, it ruins absorbency because it contains a lot of fabric softener.

I personally use just a store brand free & clear detergent.

I avoid the "natural" oil detergents because when we had a front-loading washing machine leak uncontrollably, then our dishwasher start leaking, and when the repair man came the first question he asked was what detergents we were using; apparently they have a build-up problem with certain kinds of water...he dumped in a bunch of olive oil and ran it twice to break up the excess soap build-up and recommended we change to a regular detergents. We've never problems since, though we had to replace the washer anyway.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#7 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 09:08 AM

Is BioKleen a natural oil brand? What about the seventh generation? Right now we are using Biokleen, but I do want to preserve my appliances as long as possible!
#8 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 11:12 AM

Personally, I use the Kirkland brand (Costco) with the no dyes and/or perfumes. And I have never seperated my babie's clothes. My kids clothes have always been washed with mine and DH's with no problems. in fact, both my OB and my family doctor reccommend NOT using a different detergent, but to use what everyone else does. Unless, of course, the baby proves to have very sensitive skin. I had not had this, though, so I will continue to use the detergent I use and use it for this babe as well!

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#9 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taraknyc View Post
Is BioKleen a natural oil brand? What about the seventh generation? Right now we are using Biokleen, but I do want to preserve my appliances as long as possible!
We were using Seventh Gen at the time. You might be fine, but just be aware...I can't remember which kind of water it reacts badly with, ie. hard or soft. Sorry.
You can look at the ingredients and see if there's orange oil, etc in it.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#10 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 12:26 PM

Dreft is yuck.

We use Sun & Earth, but that's because it works well with our cloth diapers.
#11 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 01:25 PM

We always use Melaleuca for our laundry. We used to use the scented, because we liked it, but now we use unscented for baby stuff. We've never had any problems.
#12 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 02:02 PM

I wouldn't use Dreft. Yuck. I'd use whatever detergent you use for everyone else's clothes.

I would prefer to use a natural detergent, and in fact loved Charlie's, but natural detergents don't work here for us. Our water is incredibly hard and the only thing that doesn't leave our clothes stinky is Tide HE.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#13 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 02:45 PM

I use only 2 tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda / baking soda (not sure what it is called in the US?) to wash diapers and rinse with 1/2 cup of vinegar. Never had a problem with absorbency or diapers being smelly. We have very hard water and this still works really well.

The other option is soapnuts, they are fabulous (or so I have heard from everyone who has tried them), I am in the process of investigating importing them into SA, but I do know they are available in the US, Canada, UK, NZ and AUS.

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
#14 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 03:20 PM

I use Arm and Hammer, free and clear type. I started using it on the recommendation of a friend with baby #1. Her dermatologist recommended it. It works great, good on cloth diapers, and it's really, really cheap. Works for me.
#15 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 06:38 PM

Dreft is AWFUL! My kids are allergic to Sportswash, and I read that Charlie's soap is the same exact thing, so I will skip that. I used to use Trader Joe's detergent, but our water is too hard here for natural detergents. We use All Free and Clear. We reac tto most other detergents, even other free and clear ones.
#16 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 PM

We use all free and clear. Dreft smells like an old lady IMO>
#17 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 PM

I use 7th generation laundry soap

S Momma to:8:5:4:1.5 and: May 29 2010 loving wife to C:
:::: ::: formally mom_2_3_girls
#18 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I use Arm and Hammer, free and clear type.
I've used that too when it goes on sale and it works well for us too.

#19 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 10:49 PM

just chiming in from another DDC Free and clears are not recommended for cloth diapers as they contain optical brighteners here is a great chart for figuring out how your detergent rates as a CD cleaner

Allen's is a fabulous choice!
#20 of 22 Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 AM

i just use whatever is on sale... i'm cheap.

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#21 of 22 Old 03-30-2008, 05:24 AM

I use Eco-Max.

I have HORRIBLE allergies to a lot of laundry detergents as do most of the people in my family so I am rather anal about it.

It has been awhile and so many things have come out since my dd was born :

I will just try different detergents until I find one that doesn't give anyone a rash.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#22 of 22 Old 03-30-2008, 03:40 PM

I've used All Free and clear on cloth diapers for almost 9 years now and have never had ANY problems with it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page