Stupid leg cramps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No matter what I try; they just keep on comin'. No stretches have helped; not stretching hasn't helped; massage hasn't helped...grrr. I just keep waking up randomly because of these wicked cramps in my calves. I know, I know, it's normal; but this is really un-fun. I'm starting to move into a stage where I can't get comfortable at night to save my life. End rant.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#2 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Not in for ddc... but for me I get them while sleeping. The first thing I have to do when I wake up is flex my calves (move your feet upward) and then I don't get them when I get up. If I move my feet any other way when I wake up I get horrible cramps. Just letting you know what has worked for me...
#3 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 01:55 PM

For me, stretching is what causes the #*&$%@!!!! things. I wake up in the morning, stretch my legs a little and BAM!! Leg cramps. I get these horrible cramps in my feet too, and it's just excrutiating.

I never really had too much of a problem with these in previous pg's. Oh well, each one brings something new and interesting to the table, I suppose. :

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#4 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 PM

I've been having the same problem. Usually the pain stops as quickly as it starts, but I had one on Thursday night and my calf hurt terribly for the next several days. By Sunday I got freaked out thinking it could be a blood clot, so I spent 4+ hours at the ER to get an ultrasound of my leg. They didn't find anything.

Anyway, I asked my midwife about it today at my appointment, and she said it could be a calcium deficiency. I'm not a milk drinker and I hate yogurt, so she suggested eating almonds, more cheese, and calcium-fortified orange juice. We'll see if it works!
#5 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 02:01 PM

You have probably already heard this, but have you tried taking any cal/mag supplimentation. I take mine in a creamy form and have had a lot less cramping (and braxton hicks contrax) since then.
#6 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 04:30 PM

I have been getting leg cramps too, especially when I am in bed at night. They are so painful they wake me up and the only thing I can do to make them stop is to get out of bed and stand up and walk around a little bit. Sometimes my calves will feel sore for days afterwards. The other evening while watching a movie I had a horrible cramp on the top of my foot. There was no way to bend my foot to help so I tried rubbing it which didn't even take it away completely but made it more tolerable. I agree it isn't at all fun!

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#7 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 04:39 PM

Another thing that will cause leg cramps is a lack of potassium. Eating a bananna a day really does help.

Also, when you stretch, NEVER point your toes. Stretch but making sure your toes are pulled as far upward (toward your head) as possible. Also, when you feel a cramp coming on, pull your toes up as much as possible. It will stretch out the calf muscles and prevent the cramp. After a cramp, walk bare footed on a hard cold floor for a few minutes. It makes it all feel so much better.

Mostly, for me, if I up my potassium and calcium I don't have them any more.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#8 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
Another thing that will cause leg cramps is a lack of potassium. Eating a bananna a day really does help.
I tried this and it did help with the leg cramps but then I became horribly constipated. Just a warning for anyone who tends to get 'stopped up' easily.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#9 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 04:52 PM
HMB

I don't belong here (yet), but was lurking and since I am a natural physician and thought I might add my 2 cents:

In my experience working with many pregnant women with this problem magnesium is often the culprit. There is a wonderful product called "Mama Calm" a powder that will increase your magnesium levels thereby increasing calcium absorption as well (great for your bones too!). Be careful not to overdo it though as high levels of mg can cause diarrhea.

Many mamas have also reported to me that nettle tea works wonders for the night-time cramps.

Just soem thoughts, hope it helps! *wanders back to the TTC forums*
#10 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 05:25 PM

HATE these!!! I haven't had any yet this pregnancy (knock on wood)! They SUCK! My doc said all the same things - calcium, magnessium (sp?), and potassium! Another thing that sounds SOOO bizzarre but it WORKS! If your legs starts cramping up and you can't seem to uncramp it? Keep a cookie sheet beside your bed. For some reason, stepping onto the cold cookie sheet will help unknot it! I'm serious! Works for me every time!

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#11 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 07:35 PM

Glad I'm not the only one - they just started in the past week and not looking forward to them getting worse. I'll check into that calcium thing.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#12 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 07:50 PM

This is crazy but I have heard that a bar of ivory soap under your sheets works. Google and snopes it. I swear. I am waiting til mine become unbearable before I try it From what I have read it seems like there are a lot of theories on why leg cramps happen but no one really seems to know.
#13 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 PM

Luckily I have not had any leg cramps this pregnancy but I had to weight in b/c my mom is always going on about how if you got a leg cramp in the middle of the night to point your toes (towards your head) to make them go away. I don't know first hand if it works but her and my father swear it does. Hope that helps!

vbac.gif WAH momma nak.gif  to DS '04 blahblah.gif  DD '08 energy.gif  DS '10 hammer.gif surprise! 3rdtri.gif  

#14 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 09:52 PM

another vote for a calcium/mag supplement. My midwife swears by it,and I have defiantly noticed a difference since starting it.
#15 of 24 Old 04-15-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnaRose View Post
another vote for a calcium/mag supplement. My midwife swears by it,and I have defiantly noticed a difference since starting it.
: I had them bad also. But when I started taking a liquid calcium supplement they went away.

Oh and to the eating banana and getting constipated - are you eating them half riped, I notice alot of people up here do that. I eat up to two bananas a day and never had that problem I make sure they are ripe. But everybody is different
#16 of 24 Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 AM

I have been getting these for a week straight every single night and i wake up screaming.. OUCH! I was in Mexico so I am finally home and going to start taking some extra calcium and see if that helps

S Momma to:8:5:4:1.5 and: May 29 2010 loving wife to C:
:::: ::: formally mom_2_3_girls
#17 of 24 Old 04-16-2008, 12:29 PM

I agree about cal-mag and potassium helping. And if you do get the cramps, I also swear by the heel down, toes up thing. NOT toes down!

Sounds like many of us know the "secrets"!
#18 of 24 Old 04-16-2008, 12:32 PM

OMG? Is this what happens sometimes in the middle of the night when my calf muscle seizes up (as if I am squeezing it as hard as I can)? I thought it was just a freaky thing that happened to me a few times. Talk about painful! It makes me scream it hurts so bad, which DH really appreciates at 2 am. Luckily it has only happened twice but it is so painful!

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#19 of 24 Old 04-16-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex_millie View Post
Oh and to the eating banana and getting constipated - are you eating them half riped, I notice alot of people up here do that. I eat up to two bananas a day and never had that problem I make sure they are ripe. But everybody is different
I tend to prefer my bananas when they are not fully ripe....hence my constipation issue I guess.

#20 of 24 Old 04-16-2008, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

So, I hear through the grapevine that calcium/magnesium/potassium helps...? Ok; I just started taking my vitamins again (I lost them when I moved and just found them after two weeks without); let's see what becomes of this now! Be gone leg cramps!!

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#21 of 24 Old 04-17-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
So, I hear through the grapevine that calcium/magnesium/potassium helps...? Ok; I just started taking my vitamins again (I lost them when I moved and just found them after two weeks without); let's see what becomes of this now! Be gone leg cramps!!
I was having cramps even w/ my prenatal vitamins (and they were the organic ones that was expensive), they didn't have much calcium, I guess because of the iron in it factor. I had to get a separate calcium supplement (liquid kind) to help. Hope yours work though
#22 of 24 Old 04-19-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
If that doesn't work, try the cookie sheet next to your bed thing. I used to have a mop bucket that I would fill up with ice cold water before bed (ice cubes and all) and in the middle of the night when I got my cramping, I would stand in the bucket and they would literally vanish.

Good luck!
#23 of 24 Old 04-20-2008, 10:53 PM

Hi Mamas,

Adding more bioavailable iron to my diet - both from food and supplements - turned off the leg cramps AND the restless leg that was bugging me.

It can't hurt to try.

-Xen

Mamma to Amelia (8/13/2006) Henry (7/28/2008), and Arthur (1/15/2011)
#24 of 24 Old 04-21-2008, 11:22 AM

This just started for me 2 nights ago.
At least I'm not alone

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page