imagery birthing questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So - I finally have my cd's but I'm feeling a little lost. I've now listened to the whole manual (as best as possible as I'm not an audible learner) - and don't really understand if there is a set pattern I should be using these or any particular pattern.

Should I listen to just one cd at a time for a set # of days?
Does it matter if I listen to more than one at a time?
Does the order that I listen to them matter?
Are there certain ones that you've found to be more useful?

I know at least two other mommas are using this program, so hoping for some feedback. Maybe I just need to try to listen to the manual again - but it's really hard for me to focus on audio instructions/comments.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#2 of 23 Old 05-09-2008, 07:55 PM

I don't think it's worth listening to the manual again!

I just do 1 cd for one week (listening each day or night) & then switch CDs. After I've cycled through all of them, then I do whichever ones I want in whatever order.

You can do them in this order (this is how mine were numbered on the CDs themselves):
1. Audio Review - Bonding (Relaxation CD)
2. Audio Review - Releasing Emotions (Relaxation CD)
3. Audio Review - Thermometer (Relaxation CD)
4. Audio Review - Control Room (Relaxation CD)
5. Audio Review - Color Anesthesia (Relaxation CD)
6. Audio Review - Time Distortion (Relaxation CD)
7. Audio Review - Opening Flower (Relaxation CD)

Now, if you're due in less than 7 weeks, then I'd do 5 or 6 days of each taking you to your due date. But, I'm pretty sure you have at least 7 weeks left, right?

The affirmations are nice to listen to in the car driving around or just at home in the shower or bath. You can listen to the affirmations & be doing something else not entirely listening to them. they're not going to put you into hypnosis. OR you can use it during labor during ctx. OR copy down your favorite affirmations from the CD and post them for your birth partners to read to you during a contraction (that's my favorite. )

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#3 of 23 Old 05-09-2008, 08:12 PM

Oh, I forgot to answer these two questions...

Does it matter if I listen to more than one at a time?

I would stick to the 1 CD for a full week deal. Once you get through all 7, then do whatever however. That's when you get to say... "Hmm, I think I need a little thermometer right about now" and then you wake up in the middle of the night for a little "Deep Sleep Now" or "Opening Flower". The more I listen to the CDs the more I crave them. They feel really good to do!

Are there certain ones that you've found to be more useful?

It really depends on what's going on in my life. When I'm feeling distant from my baby or maybe just so distracted by stresses of life - Bonding is nice. If I'm feeling scared or overwhelmed or heard too many bad birth stories that day, then I turn to Releasing Emotions. The ones that I usually listen to the most in the final weeks are:
Thermometer - it's focus is numbing any sensation of "pain".
Control Room - it's focus is giving you control over your self confidence, experience of "pain", etc.
Color Anesthesia - This is a really comforting approach to releasing "pain".
Opening Flower - Focuses on allowing your body to open easily to let the baby out. (Listening to this one "awake" kind of bores me though! )
And, then I throw Time Distortion in there randomly, because I like that it's focus is to make my labor feel shorter.

#4 of 23 Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 PM

Oh, one more post on your thread!

So, how did the ordering of your CDs go? Did you get the $40 price or did you have to do something else? How long did they take to arrive?

#5 of 23 Old 05-09-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback - I was thinking 1 cd for a week at a time, but the manual didn't seem to provide direction on that. I've got about 9-11 weeks left, so will go ahead and follow that for now - though might skip some stuff if it doesn't seem to be fitting.

The ordering was a pain - I finally got a hold of them after calling and leaving messages and emailing - I didn't give up after strmis told me she got through to someone.

So I canceled my paypal payment (since I'd placed an order through the site) and ordered over the phone -- about 8 days later, they finally showed up, but the instruction manual was blank -- luckily my email got a response within a few days and she sent me out a replacement. So -- I ordered them on the 23rd and finally got the replacement manual about 3 days ago... oh and I got the price listed on the site.

ooh -- and the bonding one is interesting since I haven't really done a lot of bonding so far - or it doesn't seem I have. While I get to wanting the little one, at times, I still kinda freak when I think of one showing up and wondering why I started this process as all -- hopefully the bonding track will help with that a bit.

#6 of 23 Old 05-09-2008, 08:49 PM

Wow, was the effort worth the $90 you saved!?!?

Yeah, I think you'll like the bonding CD. It's really a sweet one. And you get to start it tonight! I usually just pop in my CD as I'm laying in bed for the night & then nod off to sleep/hypnosis.

I don't think you'll actually find that something doesn't fit & want to skip it. Working together the 7 hypno CDs really have a great flow.

Mmm, I find myself wanting to hurry my kids to bed & hop in bed myself so I can listen. I'm so tired today & totally enjoy the time for me to listen to my CD in a quiet house.

#7 of 23 Old 05-10-2008, 06:33 PM

xixstar can you post the phone number and email address you used to contact them? And what was the price for the whole kit?
#8 of 23 Old 05-10-2008, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

email: info@imagerybirthing.com
phone: 440 801 1922
price: $47 ($40 program, $7 shipping)

The director's name is Jeanne Engle and was very nice to talk to. She says she's been having lots of problems with her site and I think they have someone new supposedly working on fixing it. Thats the same feedback Spark gave several weeks ago too - so not sure if anything on the site has improved since then.

#9 of 23 Old 05-11-2008, 02:45 PM

Thanks xixstar!
#10 of 23 Old 05-11-2008, 09:31 PM

Ooh. I just looked at this set b/c of this post & I think I want to do this!
I'm going to call on Thursday after the check hits. I guess I should trying to get in touch with them now, though!
#11 of 23 Old 05-17-2008, 01:13 PM

I'm bumping this up to ask more about it. What makes this better in your opinion than the hypnobirthing?

I got in touch with Jeanne and I can call her to order today or tomorrow, so I am trying to decide for sure.

If anyone else has anything else to add about Imagery Birthing I would love to hear it!
#12 of 23 Old 05-17-2008, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Rachel - I'd suggest going through the "It's hypno time" thread for more answers on that - Spark did a lot of comments there about the program.

I can't comment on a comparison and I can't even say if I'd recommend this program yet or not since I've only been using it a couple weeks. For me, I wanted to try a hypno-birth program and this was the only one affordable enough for me to try (if we hadn't done a Bradley class, I probably would have done the hypnobabies program). This is all very new to me and I'm hoping for good things from it.

And if I remember correctly, Spark is the only person, in this DDC at least, that's used the program before I think. I think there was one or two other moms that ordered it, maybe they have some more feedback.

#13 of 23 Old 05-17-2008, 04:13 PM

Thanks! I hadn't realized that thread covered Imagery, too. Thanks for the heads up!
#14 of 23 Old 05-17-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhugrrl View Post
I'm bumping this up to ask more about it. What makes this better in your opinion than the hypnobirthing?
I did say a bit about that in the other hypno thread. but, I'll try to answer more in depth.

As with any hypnosis or imagery (just Birth Imagery's way of saying hypnosis without scary off the people who think hypnosis has to do with watching a pocket watch go back & forth while you balk like a chicken) the real key is daily practice of the hypnosis CDs. The courses are all built around the same exact hypnosis research and yet each has a slightly different way of executing it.

For me, I wanted hypnosis that was quick & easy & I didn't have to worry about getting quiet time with a partner for. I didn't want to do a bunch of reading (because I took a HypnoBirthing class prior & already believed in the power of hypnosis). I just wanted something simple with multiple CDs.

HypnoBirthing only comes with one hypno CD and one affirmation CD. It can get pretty monotonous. The CD is good. And, I mean, it works... but it's just one CD. You go through a rainbow of healing colors that make childbirth painfree. Most of the other programs have this theme as one CD in their program, but you get a whole bunch more, too.

Knit-picky, but I didn't care for Mongan's voice on the CDs either. It really annoyed me. As I recall she says "baby" really oddly and man oh man does she ever repeat the word "baby" over and over again! It was like nails on a chalkboard to me by the 50th time I heard the CD.

With Birth Imagery, I really like the simpleness of it. I don't have to read. I don't have to carve time out of an overpacked schedule to work with a partner. I don't have to do exercises. I just have to listen to a multitude of different hypno CDs. The affirmations are great, but honestly, I usually don't listen to them except when in labor (read by DH or on CD). They're all anchored through the hypnosis CDs anyway. Although, I'm sure listening to the affirmations daily would be a good thing. I just find that keeping my commitment to daily hypno listening is what I can handle & it's been effective thus far.

This will be my 3rd Birth Imagery birth. And, I honestly think without it, I probably would have freaked with my last birth. It was an hour and 40 minutes from start to finish. I was just pregnant laying on the couch and then BAM I was pushing. That's a lot to wrap the mind around, but hypnosis helped me just be open & go with the flow.

The thing is, hypnosis works whether you do HypnoBabies, HypnoBirthing, Birth Imagery, HypBirth, etc etc etc (there are a lot out there!). It's just a matter of really sticking to your commitment to listen to the hypnosis at least one time a day and to start as soon as you can.

#15 of 23 Old 05-18-2008, 03:03 PM

Hi! How did I miss this post?? :

Yes, I ordered the CD's, but have no comment on them as of yet, as far as effectiveness. After reading Sparks' comment (Thanks again, Spark!!!!!) I'll be listening to them more often. I've been listening in the evenings and just putting it on repeat the whole night. When I wake up to go to the bathroom I'll change out the CD, in any random order, pretty much whatever I feel like, so nothing systematic for me.

I think I like the color anesthesia one, opening flower, and thermometer. The affirmations seem good, too. Again, this is all from what I can "remember" being asleep through 99% of it.

Maybe I'll listen to one for a few days on repeat instead of switching them so often.

I must say tho, the only time I really listen is in the middle of the night when asleep so I feel like nothing is happening, b/c I'm totally knocked out every time. I'll write about it after my LO makes her appearance.

HTH! Please keep me posted on your experience with all this!

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#16 of 23 Old 05-19-2008, 02:18 PM

I am so frustrated. My job ended a few weeks ago, and now we're once again strapped for money like we were before. This is really upsetting to me. ARGH. I cannot afford the cds for about another month, even though they're really not badly priced at all. It's ridiculous.

At that point, yeah, I will still get them, but I will only have maybe a month to work through them. NOT ENOUGH TIME for me! I'm going to see if there's anything I can sell on Craigslist, etc, in the meantime and try to get the money together for it. I also put a post on the MDC trading post to see if anyone has them: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...?do=ad&id=1676
But I don't think anyone at MDC really goes there any more since they've changed it, so I doubt many people will see it.

I also have to figure out how to afford all my birth supplies, etc, which means that all needs to come first, so maybe I won't be able to spare the $50 to get the cds in a month. ARGH!
Sorry, this is getting totally O/T, I just needed to vent for a moment. I am frugal, sensible, etc, and there's still not enough $ when I am not working. And I can't work before bebe is here, cause of the ridiculous SPD and pain I have been having. Hopefully after baby is here I will be able to pick up some more green cleaning and organizing jobs while I can sling baby along.

Phew... I didn't really expect the rant there :P But I feel better.

Anyway, if anyone here has a set of the cds that I could use, I would be eternally grateful.
#17 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmis View Post
I must say tho, the only time I really listen is in the middle of the night when asleep so I feel like nothing is happening, b/c I'm totally knocked out every time. I'll write about it after my LO makes her appearance.
Yeah, strmis, that's pretty much the way it feels. I mean, this is my 4th time through & I found myself wondering the same thing -- is anything really happening!?!? But, I've had experience after experience that says YES! And, everyone that I know that did hypnosis daily says that it worked REALLY well for them in labor. I love how I'm just me laboring, but more aware of the process & not interpreting surges as pain.

Quote:
I also put a post on the MDC trading post to see if anyone has them: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...?do=ad&id=1676
But I don't think anyone at MDC really goes there any more since they've changed it, so I doubt many people will see it.
So sorry things are tight for you right now. You may want to edit it to include other hypnosis programs, too. I hope someone sees it & can help! Also, did you see the $10 program? http://imagerybirthing.com/4track.htm

Quote:
I also have to figure out how to afford all my birth supplies, etc, which means that all needs to come first, so maybe I won't be able to spare the $50 to get the cds in a month. ARGH!
You might want to take a look at what you really need. For me, this time, I just ordered some chux pads & AfterEase. If you have a friend or someone that works in the medical field (or if you're taking a trip to the Dr. soon) it's pretty easy to get a few chux pads. And, then AfterEase is for after birth pains, so you may or may not want that. And, really, you might be able to skip the chux pads, too. There are cheaper ways to do homebirth just with what you have in your home. Like, shower curtain ($0.97 or free if you already have an extra), wool blanket, towels, newspapers, yarn for cord, hat you already own for baby, spray bottle from Target instead of peribottle, etc.

#18 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks, Spark! You're totally right about supplies, the main expenses is shepherd's purse, cohoshes, any other herbs like that in case I hemorrhage again. I do NOT want a transfer because of that.

I'm feeling quite a bit better today about it all, not so worried about money and such. I was asked yesterday to do a couple of days of work next week so that will be $ we didn't plan on.
Things also won't be this tough all the time, we just had an extra bill this month that kicked us in the butt.

I just have the impatient I want it NOW! feeling

I'm strangely not yet nervous about labor, but I DO want to get this started asap so I have more in my mind to focus on. My labors have been short and incredibly intense and painful, so I really just want to be well prepared.
#19 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm glad you're feeling more secure right now. I got really freaked out about finances right after my job ended for the summer, too! It's easy to get carried away while pregnant!

#20 of 23 Old 06-16-2008, 12:03 AM

I've been listening daily (sometimes twice a day) to my Imagery Birthing program now for about a month. I'm wondering how you actually use it during the birth. I know Spark has used this program for previous births so maybe she is the only expert. But those of you that are using the program how do you think you'll use it during labor and birth?

Do you listen to the cds during labor? Do you have someone countdown from 20 to 1? Do you have someone just say 20, 20, 20 when they sense you tensing up? Do you just think about your special place? Do you copy down some of the affirmations and have someone read them to you?

I'm just having a difficult time thinking how I will use it during my labor and birth.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Rosemary
#21 of 23 Old 06-16-2008, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doularosemary View Post
Do you listen to the cds during labor? Do you have someone countdown from 20 to 1? Do you have someone just say 20, 20, 20 when they sense you tensing up? Do you just think about your special place? Do you copy down some of the affirmations and have someone read them to you?
This is a good question and one I've been thinking about lately. I've found that I've been using the relaxation breathing and special place imagery a lot when I'm having a hard time getting to sleep or am uncomfortable (I'll often listed to the tracks during my daily nap versus at night). It's working pretty well - the other day I was having lots of pelvic pain and started mentally going through the color anesthesia track from memory and was surprised by how well it "played" just from memory and worked for me.

I've not decided if I'll listen to any during birth or not. So far, I've only found one track that seems like it'd really be helpful for me during labor, so I might listen to it if I feel I need it.

I won't have anyone else help with the tracks because I've found that they are very well implanted in my memory and I think having anyone else trying to count or do anything would be too confusing, because when I mentally work on it myself - I hear the tracks exactly as they sound and I think dh's would be to different at this point to work for me.

hope that helps!

#22 of 23 Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doularosemary View Post
I'm just having a difficult time thinking how I will use it during my labor and birth.
You know, this was really perplexing for me, too, when I was approaching my first birth with hypnosis. I thought maybe I was supposed to be in a "hypnotic state" the whole time. But, actually, I found that I did my own natural childbirth thing. I stayed active during early labor/day light hours, and then when things really got intense, I naturally tuned more inward. The hypnosis just worked, it was like it kicked in during surges. I didn't interpret what I was feeling as pain, it was more like I was able to be very present in my experience.

With my first Birth Imagery birth, the labor took 2 1/2 hours until pushing. In those two hours, I would have a surge & I WANTED my partner to say birth affirmations to me, but he couldn't remember any of the ones I gave him to keep in his wallet. He just kept muttering different versions of "Mom and baby together." And, I was thinking... "What the heck are we doing together?!?! These are affirmations dude! Make them positive!" So, we ended up singing a song during surges. In between surges, we laughed and joked and talked. It was like a light switch on, a light switch off. During pushing (which took 2 more hours) we just abandoned all effort to do anything hypnosis related. We just did our thing. Hypnosis was working. It was a pretty quick intense labor and yet, I was never aware of transition or pain. I felt intensity and strong physical sensations -- I FELT everything, it just didn't register as pain.

With my second Birth Imagery birth, I realized that I had to make it as easy as possible for my partner to give me what I need. So, I printed out a list of affirmations in big bold lettering that he could read in dim light and/or without his glasses. I posted them with tape in the bedroom, bathroom & had one in the birth supplies. When labor began, he just moved the lists to the place where he could see them best & read them to me when I had a surge.

These are the affirmations I chose:
To be said s-l-o-w-l-y with calm voice during surges...
Mama and Baby working together.
Breathe up each surge and make it work for you.
Each surge brings our baby closer to us.
Totally relaxed. Totally at ease.
Your cervix open outward as baby moves downward.
Feel the natural anesthesia flow through your body.

You could have 20-20-20 on there if you want. Or just "And, relax" or whatever seems to cue you the best on the CDs. Just make it your own & then you can adapt it during labor for your partner.

That labor was really really intense. My water broke and 1 hour, 40 minutes later my baby was on my chest. It was a FAST FAST ride. Again, I experienced everything, but "pain" was not a part of it. I was totally by myself for the first 40 minutes and was really enjoying laboring. I felt everything the CDs tell you - confident, joyous, etc. Then, when my DH got back from dropping our other kids off, we got down to business, because that's what I needed. He read the affirmations to me (at first really fast and then I asked him to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n) during the surges & quickly they were right on top of each other. Neither of us quite realized that the birth was happening so fast. We were both kind of perplexed as to why we didn't want to hang out & chat, laugh, joke during the surges. Then, suddenly I was pushing. Once I was pushing, I didn't need the affirmations, feeling my baby come out was affirmation enough.

I do think listening to the CDs in very early labor would work well, but once things get more intense, you almost need something that will adapt to you. I think it might be really frustrating EXPECTING to be able to use the CD during labor the same way I did during pregnancy. I could imagine getting really concerned listening to Color Anesthesia & thinking that I should feel completely numb... but I'm not. I never felt numb (maybe others have) but for me, it was that I felt my body intensely working, but not numb. Besides, I think being plugged into a CD and missing out on the experience with those around you (or just yourself) would be a bummer. But, that's just me!

Sorry that was a novel!

#23 of 23 Old 06-16-2008, 04:45 PM

Thanks ladies for your input! Its a big help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page