What are you eating these days? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like I'm eating just about everything but here have been some "favorites" lately...

Fried eggs (over easy) with slices of toast (from homemade bread).

Smoothies made with various types of frozen fruit, goat milk yogurt and vanilla soy milk.

Pasta with tomato sauce or pesto.

Tomato, basil and fresh mozzarella salad served on a bed of arugula with olive oil and balsamic. YUM!!

Pork and spinach stir fry served with rice or rice noodles.

We have been having lots of various things for dinners, last night we had salmon with lemon & dill, rice and asparagus, mmmm....

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 01:30 PM

Watermelon! Anything else, I have to force myself to eat - I wish I could live only on watermelon.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

mmmm....watermelon sounds so good! It's funny because every time I go to the store I see the watermelons and think "watermelon sounds good" but then I get overtaken by the fear that I will pick a "bad" watermelon and the joy would be ruined....So silly....

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
Old 05-21-2008, 01:40 PM

I could honestly live on fruit! But I eat oatmeal or muesli for breakfast. Mid-morning is a massive green smoothie (fruit, greens, fresh oj, almond butter). Lunch varies...today it was soup and grilled cheese, yesterday whole wheat spaghetti with tomato sauce and veg plus big salad. Snacks...fruit, fruit, more fruit or carrot sticks. : Dinner...omelet and green salad for example, or a bean and veg burrito, risotto and salad, etc.

Neither watermelon, nor tomatoes are anywhere near being in season where I am...but I'm counting the days!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Old 05-21-2008, 01:46 PM

JennaW, you should have the produce man cut one for you, and taste it. That way the joy wouldn't be ruined. I know that all of our grocery stores in town will do this if you ask... and if the first one they pick out and cut isn't good, you have them cut open a new one. I've had such good luck this year though I haven't had them cut one... I bought 5 watermelons in one week. My son and I would sit and eat a half of one before we even put it away. We LOVE LOVE LOVE watermelon here too!!!

As for what I'm eating other than watermelon, my list is too long. I've got an appetite like they say a pregnant woman should have... I get strange things in my head that I want, and by God, if I don't get them, it's the end of my okay mood. My latest thing was my cousin (3000 miles away from me) made this really yummy cake and I heard about it... I told her in an e-mail how much I wanted one so she sent me the recipe and I made it that night and had it after dinner and for breakfast the next morning. Cake! For breakfast! Speaking of... I still have some... I think I should probably finish it off.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 PM

Ever since my morning sickness went mostly away (at 27 weeks) I've been eating like a hobbit. Breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, etc.!

Japanese, Italian, lots of oatmeal, chocolate almond milk, tons of melon, juice by the gallon (something I never drink non-pregnant!, especially unfiltered apple juice and lemonade), pasta, spinach, olive bread with Marmite.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 05-21-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

veganf,

I silently stalk your bento blog, lol. Your food looks so tasty. Want to come make me some vegan eggplant parmesan? Yum!

I have been really into juice also, especially lemonade. I actually made myself not buy it at the store the other day because I think I was getting a little greedy with it. But my Mom has a lemon tree so I might go steal some of those and make a pitcher of the homemade stuff. mmmm...

Old 05-21-2008, 02:37 PM

I've actually started drinking my juice right out of the jug, the heck with a glass! No sense dirtying all those dishes that I don't want to wash. I have my own bottles of juice and I drink a big one each day . Whenever I tell my husband "we're out of juice" his comment is always either "AGAIN?!" or "ALREADY?!"

Jenna, I'd be happy to cook for us all, if only we all lived closer!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 05-21-2008, 02:49 PM

I think I could live on the young coconuts alone, it is such a hassle to open them though, I think I might buy an electric saw for the kitchen just so I don't ruin every good knife in the house.

My husband has been a vegetarian for 13 years, and because of that I don't eat much meat, but last night my body NEEDED a steak.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

Old 05-21-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
. Whenever I tell my husband "we're out of juice" his comment is always either "AGAIN?!" or "ALREADY?!"

Old 05-21-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post
I could honestly live on fruit!
:

This baby must have a sweet tooth, because suddenly I am crazy for sweet things. I never used to like them - I was always more of a baked goods/salty/sour kind of taster. Suddenly I want fruit, juice and cake at all hours of the day! That and my taste for salty snacks has totally evaporated. You couldn't pay me to eat chips or nuts or anything anymore. Bleh.

All that said... I am eating exactly the same things as I did earlier in the pregnancy, and before I got pregnant. Even though my tastes and cravings have changed, I'm not really giving in to them. It's just difficult. :/ I mean, I still have the same foods in the house as always, and I still have to eat dinner with DH. Going out and finding whatever I am craving at a given moment is actually more work than just eating whatever is in the fridge!

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
Old 05-21-2008, 03:44 PM

I'm back to being envious of those who can eat. I either have a bug or some disgusting 3rd tri sickness. Great for the weight gain (or loss rather) but not so good for my mood or my skin.

However, it's funny that the first 2 things mentioned on this thread are the 2 things I'm craving right this minute. I've been fantasizing about making an egg in a basket (butter a piece of bread both sides, cut a hole in the middle of it, crack an egg in the middle, and fry it up. for 2 days now. I'm just too lazy to make it. And smoothies. OMG, we've had so many smoothies lately. I'm thinking about washing the blender right after I post this and making a chocolate banana smoothie. If I'm going to throw something up, it might as well be something I like.

Oooh, and chocolate soy milk. I can't drink cow's milk without swelling up like a balloon. I tried vanilla soy milk awhile ago and I just can't handle it. So I was just drinking skim and dealing with the swelling. Then I discovered chocolate soy milk. OMG, the kids (in reality, just the 3yo) and I go through like 2 GALLONS of it a week.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
Old 05-21-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaW View Post
mmmm....watermelon sounds so good! It's funny because every time I go to the store I see the watermelons and think "watermelon sounds good" but then I get overtaken by the fear that I will pick a "bad" watermelon and the joy would be ruined....So silly....
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamilee21 View Post
Watermelon! Anything else, I have to force myself to eat - I wish I could live only on watermelon.
I am SO on board with you guys! I was extremely disappointed when I cut open the first couple I bought and they were that grainy texture -I almost cried, but when i found a good one.....boy, it was heaven!! And it makes a great middle of the night snack because it isn't super heavy and it's very refreshing!
Other than that I have been eating a lot of cereal, pasta, drinking lots of milk and totally craving grapefruit juice (instead of a bottle of water to take when i go out, I've been taking grapefruit juice diluted slightly with water in a water bottle!) and my naughty craving has been brownies (warm with a bit of ice cream!) - OH and a convenience store that has 24 flavor options to add to soft ice cream, just started up for the summer, and I am totally hooked on mixing the peanut butter and banana flavors together - so I get a peanut butter, banana, soft ice cream cone!! So good. Darn -I want to go out and get one right now!!
I get full really fast so I've been eating small portions but constant!! I can't believe I can wake up at 3 in the morning and have my stomach be growling hungry!!

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

Old 05-21-2008, 03:52 PM

I have to have eggs every morning. 2 eggs with fruit and whole grain toast on the side.

Tabouli salad (homemade)

fresh tomato and mozz. salad with olive oil and balsamic

cut up raw veggies with hummus or cheese dip (some fancy asiago dip I have from wegmans)

last night I made red curry with chickpeas, carrots and spinach. I have lots of leftovers because it was too spicy for DH.

watermelon! pineapple! strawberries!

smoothies sometimes

I cant wait till the really good local tomatoes and blueberries and peaches come out, I will probably be having the baby just around then. :
Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 PM

Whatever sounds good, which isn't much right now, for some reason. Although I have also been into juice. Usually orange juice in the middle of the night. But also the Santa Cruz organic berry blend that we get in huge jugs at Costco. Yummy. Quesadillas have been on the menu for lunch a lot lately

And this week I have been eating the leftover coconut lime cake that I made for my book club on Monday. Full on white sugar, white flour, butter, even a little bit of shortening, and it is delicious. I don't usually make or eat stuff like this but it fit for this occasion.

I have also completely abandoned the scale and surrendered to whatever size I will be at the end of this journey.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:57 PM

This is a good time to ask me. I have transitioned out of some of my standby foods, which made it hard for me to figure out what to fix & eat for awhile. (Meanwhile, there's no time to "figure it out" because I am in the juggernaut that is eating for twins....protein & complex carbohydrates basically all the time.)

But now I've got a few things to replace the ones (like chicken, and cheddar cheese) that have fallen out of favor.

I keep a pot of cooked brown rice in the fridge and use it to make myself fried rice for breakfast and/or lunch. The variety is that I switch up what I put in it.

Yesterday, I made a batch of it for lunch and had enough to save for breakfast today. Minced onion, chopped red & yellow pepper, sliced bok choy, sliced asparagus spears, rice, tamari, and a few eggs cooked into it. The day before, I made it with broccoli and mostly the same vegetables.

I try to keep broccoli on hand at all times....this morning I had a plate of leftover steamed broccoli after my fried rice was gone. And I'm about to have a snack right now....an apple and a 4 oz. piece of leftover cornmeal-crusted haddock. And maybe a sweet potato.

I have been baking sweet potatoes for snacks (in the toaster oven.)

Pink lady apples (I keep a supply on-hand, even though they are not in season here and therefore are not local, I need them.)

I was having a grapefruit every day, but they are far enough out of season that the taste/texture suffers, so for my vitamin C kick, I notice I've been eating more bell peppers, kiwi, and I just finally broke down and started in on some organic strawberries (the local ones will be coming in just a few weeks and will be SOOOO superior!)

Last night, I made a sort of Spanish rice with veggies & ground beef & tomato sauce. I also roasted Brussels sprouts. (love 'em) Oh, I saved a few to roast today, so I can add those to my "snack."

I do like scrambled eggs or a broccoli & cheddar omelet.

Roasted red potatoes or brown rice (can't deal with my usual carbohydrate faves like whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, whole wheat pancakes, wholegrain muffins & scones, wholegrain bread....I haven't really touched the stuff for months, now. Same with most dairy, and smoothies. It's very strange, but I think it has to do with instinctive diet-selection due to the twin pregnancy, and the higher hormonal insulin suppression. That's my theory, at least. Sort of a built-in tendency to protect against gestational diabetes, since the chance for it is so much higher with multiples. Whatever....the upshot is the only grain I really like & crave, and that sits well with me, is brown rice.)

I have been loving the wild-caught cod, haddock, and sockeye salmon, as well as ground beef and steak. Coming out of chicken, I binged on pork chops for a bit, but I think that ship has sailed.

I make these awesome creamy cod cakes which are part flaked cod, part cooked/mashed potato, with cream.

And the oven-fried haddock, which I dredge in flour, then dip in egg, then coat in cornmeal, then bake in a 450 degree oven....well, that's a close second.

The salmon I either glaze with a blackstrap molasses mixture (with sauteed cumin & cinnamon & other spices mixed in) or broil with lemon & butter.

I couldn't look at or think about beef for most of the first 2 trimesters, so I'm glad it's doing it for me now, since chicken & pork are not!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap70 View Post
I have also completely abandoned the scale and surrendered to whatever size I will be at the end of this journey.
Good for you! This is my first scale-free pregnancy, and it is so liberating not to look at those numbers going up and up every 4 weeks (or down during the first 4 months).

Old 05-21-2008, 06:53 PM

With a resurgance in the nasuea , I'm back to eating on pure instinct - and ASAP I feel the twinge to eat.

so for breakfast I had a bagel and yogurt.
then i had a handfull of SourPatch kids (yeah, you read that right)
I skipped "lunch" but drank alot.
then I had 2 bananas with peanut butter an a small gala apple with chedder cheese sliced onto it.

then i had DH go to Sonic nad get me a Route 66 Cherry Limeade.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:04 PM

mmmm...food : today was a designated food day here. i made 2 dozen strawberry muffins and froze a bunch for an easy breakfast (sooo good with some jam or cream cheese spread on). i also made a lentil salad, and we're having black bean and brown rice burritos for dinner. other than that, i've been all over the map.

this week i'm also planning to make some banana walnut muffins, potato blintzes, polenta with roasted veggie sauce, potobello pizza "burgers", general tao's tofu w/broccoli and rice, chick pea salad sandwiches, and who knows what else. as long as it's not spicy (normally i love some heat, but it gives me horrible heartburn these days) or meaty, i'm all over it!
Old 05-21-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryknowlicious View Post
then i had a handfull of SourPatch kids (yeah, you read that right)
Don't feel bad. You have no idea the amount of Twizzlers I've eaten when feeling sick if it's the only thing I can choke down.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:30 PM

Whatever I feel like.

Seriously, I have abandoned all hope of eating "balanced" during this pregnancy. I'm still nauseated enough of the time that I eat whatever I can. Sometimes that is a lot!

But at least some of my cravings are healthy now--broccoli and cauliflower for the last three nights were all I wanted. Of course I'm also longing for ice cream and melted cheese (not together, but I wouldn't put it past me).
Old 05-22-2008, 11:01 PM

I go between pure garbage and fruit and veggies.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 05-23-2008, 11:04 AM

I eat all the time!! I ate a half a box of kashi cereal the other day...just ate it...no milk...

pita chips and hummus...any fresh fruit I can get my hands on...I will KILL a carton of strawberries.

Im loving nuts and small things. Bananas...juice...

maybe its the urge to build up energy for birth but my desire for protein and dense foods has disapeared. I just want carbs and loootttsss of um.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:10 AM

I'm also loving fruit ... I was the same way with my first pregnancy. Unfortunately I'm also loving ice cream ... it doesn't last long in our house!

User Tag List