Whats your little one wearing the first few months? How much of what? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So.. Had a baby shower and got TONS of onsies. I'm thinking they are going to be pretty convenient here, as the summers are warm where I'm at. Can anyone suggest how many onsies are too many? I think I have somewhere between 24-30 NB sized ones. If I get anymore should I exchange them for a larger size? Some other type of clothing? Give them to another expecting mama?

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 05:50 PM

I know a lot of babies aren't in newborn sizes for more than a couple of weeks.
Plus you probably won't put baby in a onesie until the cord falls off after about a week.
So that doesn't leave enough time to wear all those onesies.
I would definitely exchange most of them for bigger sizes.
#3 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 PM

This is my first but I would venture to say that you do not need that many! I would keep maybe 6-8 of those and return the rest and get a selection of:

0-3 month onesies, sleepers, baby shirts and a few pairs of cotton baby pants
3-6 month onesies, sleepers, baby shirts and a few pairs of cotton baby pants

Maybe also some socks if you don't have any.

It depends on how much laundry you do also I guess....

Also, I have a friend that does EC and she says that onesies are too difficult to deal with when doing EC. So if you are planning on doing EC you might want to skip onesies all together.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#4 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 06:22 PM

Yeah definitely get some bigger sizes! some 0-3 and 3-6.

my favorite are the "kimono" t-shirts- the ones that snap in the front. No squishing baby's head through a head hole. Won't bother the cord. Plus you don't have the extra step of unsnapping the crotch when you want to change baby's diaper. A cloth diaper and a t-shirt is a great summer outfit! (I guess also you would need a blankie for a teeny tiny baby)
#5 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 06:54 PM

My baby never fit into newborn size, and only fit into 0-3 for 2 weeks at the most. I would exchange almost all of them for bigger sizes. I also like the wrap onsies and the snap up the front gowns.
#6 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 07:22 PM

I would suggest exchanging them for larger sizes if you can.

I also prefer shirts because we cloth diaper. So I'd cut off the bottoms and hem them.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#7 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 PM

Oooh, I hadn't thought of cutting and hemming! We have an insane amount of onesies, and I have yet to be able to find ANY newborn shirts just by themselves (like, not with an outfit or anything). Maybe I'll just do that!! Now, to learn how to sew

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#8 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 08:06 PM

You don't have to sew them, if you don't mind the raw edge (I prefer the raw edge to messing up the hem myself). It won't unravel.

Speaking of... you can make some babylegs that way, too. Just buy women's knee high socks in cute colors and cut off the feet.

Regarding OP's question: I think we're doing tees and cloth dipes for the warm months. Onesies didn't go too well over the CDs we used last time...
#9 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 08:26 PM

I didn't use many onesies. Between my ds being quite long and wearing cloth diapers, they never did fit him unless I went up a size or 2. He pretty much wore t-shirts and diapers all summer, with the occasional sleeper or gown at night.
#10 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 08:46 PM

I'm using hand me down onsies (3 month and 6 month, my babies are usually huge), and gowns with the fold over sleeves.

20 isn't too much IMO, but larger sizes (6 month) might be better.
#11 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 PM

My babies fit in nb size tee shirts for maybe a few days. NB onsies? Too small right away. Especially if you use cloth diapers. I'd try to exchange then if you can. My favorite for little babies are the side snap tee shirts.
#12 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 PM

it is hot here, and baby will probably be naked a lot. keeping baby cool in the heat is hard enough without clothing in the way! we use cloth diapers, too... and i know in the heat i have left my newborn diaperless while they napped, naked.

my favorite shirts, though, are the side-snap or kimono style. 6 newborn, 6 0-3 mos would be adequate IMO.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#13 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 01:01 AM

We don't use the onesies that look like undershirts at all. It's too hot for layers in July, and if I'm going to dress my kiddo, he/she is going to wear real clothes, you know?

So, for me, that would definitely be too many. I dressed my first ds (and anticipate this one) in onesie t-shirts (look more like a shirt than an undershirt) sometimes, but mostly in complete little outfits with legs. Stuff like this. http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_it...SizeSelected=0 I hate the look of a onesie shirt and pants. (that's just me, but I don't like the tucked in tight look, creating a waist on a round little baby, then the waist looks uncomfortable, and well, I just don't like it. LOL ) I think it just ends up being what you like to look at when you see your baby, though.
#14 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 02:09 AM

My son only fit into NB size clothes until he regained his birth weight.
#15 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 04:20 AM

My dd didn't hardly wear newborn sizes at all. I don't even bother with newborn size

Not all those who wander are lost 
#16 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 10:49 AM

I pulled out my newborn clothes the other day. They are all 0-3 months. We don't have anything labeled "newborn". He wore the 0-3 months for about 6 weeks, then moved into 3-6 month clothes. (But he was freakishly large).
#17 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 05:35 PM

My babies wear newborn sizes for about a week, if that. I would go for the 3-6 months sizes, they should last a little while, though with my sons' those only lasted about a month.

I prefer onesies. I can't stand the shirts or wraps. Onesies stay in place and keep the shirt down. For me, shirts just ride up and clump up, making it uncomfortable. And I find that when it is hot, having that thin layer of cloth between the skin (tummy and arms for example) makes baby more comfortable.

I also want to have as little cloth as possible (since it is summer here). So long gowns are out as are "wrap" shirts that make it twice as much cloth. We don't even do the socks on Baby, because of the heat. Winter is a whole other story.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#18 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 05:41 PM

I don't own any NB size clothes... everything is 0-3 and up. Even with onesies, I just let them be big, it's only a few weeks, ya know? I think her (and upcoming DD2's) wardrobe for the first 3 months was onesies, those open-bottom gowns, side-snap shirts, and a couple "going out" outfits when I felt she had to wear something else, LOL.

Liz, mommy to DD1 (June 2006) and DD2 (August 2008) :
#19 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 07:04 PM

I'm kind of at a loss for what I'll like for a summer baby - I've only had winter babes. We have air conditioning... but it'll be 90+ degrees outside.

So far this is what I have for this baby (mostly hand-me-downs):
Newborn/Preemie - 1 gown, 2 outfits (pants/kimono top)
0-3 Months - 6 gowns, 2 sleepers, 8 tops, 2 light pants, 1 shorts, (6 onesies that I doubt I'll use?)
3-6 Months - 2 sleepers, 11 tops, 4 light pants, 2 shorts, 2 one-piece short outfits

I really don't like onesies. I tend to have longer babies & then the cloth diapers just take up too much room. I only used onesies a few sizes too big for my other kids but that was for layering.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#20 of 24 Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 PM

We have some very nice 0-3 month stuff, and some 3-6 month stuff-but I'm just not sure how this babe is going to turn out! Dd #1 was one of the truly freakish babes that REALLY wore 0-3 until she was 3 months old, 3-6 until she was 6 moths old etc-we had clothes she never wore because by the thime she grew in to them they were out of season! Unless the items were made freakishly large or small she was like clockwork. My Nephews were just the opposite, mid sized babies who GREW rapidly- so we have basically saved little collections of various sizes until we know what kind of growing babe we're dealing with.

We cd, and I 'm also having onsies trimmed/hemmed because I can't imagine trying to fit onsies over Cd. Also, has anyone noticed how hard it is to get plain old baby side snapping t-shirts in nice solid colors?? Tons of onsies and cutsey stuff, but what I really would love to have is a solid color side snapping dark purple shirt!
#21 of 24 Old 06-06-2008, 01:16 PM
hyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamimapster View Post
Also, has anyone noticed how hard it is to get plain old baby side snapping t-shirts in nice solid colors?? Tons of onsies and cutsey stuff, but what I really would love to have is a solid color side snapping dark purple shirt!
Definitely. My plan is to pick up a couple cheap packs of those in white and go to town with some fabric dye from the craft store. I don't know why manufacturers seem to think babies have to wear white or pastel yellow, green, pink, purple, and blue only. And if it's not that, it's shockingly bright pinks, yellows, teals, etc. I mean, there's a whole world of more nuanced color out there just going to waste! And I think my baby would probably look awesome in burgundy or a deep, smoky lavender. So why shouldn't she have them?

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#22 of 24 Old 06-06-2008, 01:32 PM

If you have more $$ than time (I don't), you can find baby clothes on sale in great colors at bluecanoe.com

But no snappy tees... That's what I really want. All the kimono shirts I find are onesies.
#23 of 24 Old 06-06-2008, 01:33 PM

The hospital I'll be delivering in is an older one, without modern air conditioning. They recommend against bringing onesies for babies, and say the best thing is those "baby bags" (whatever they are called) that you can easily take the baby in and out of. (My hospital recommended "as much skin on skin contact as humanly possible" when I did the neonatal tour earlier this week.)

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#24 of 24 Old 06-06-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the great info..
Well, I think a bunch of the onesies came from Target, and as much as I love shopping there, they have the crappiest return policy. So, no receipt, no return. grrrr....

Looks like I'll be stuck with a bunch of onesies in 0-3 mos sizes. I was under the impression that "nb" size was the same as 0-3, but at least the 0-3 will last longer.

I'm thinking of CD'ing and hopefully ECing her (fingers crossed), so maybe she'll just have to hang out in unbuttoned onsies. Anyone else do that? Maybe it'll be like wearing a long t-shirt and cloth diapers all the time

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page