I had my home visit yesterday! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2008, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And now that we've gone over all the nitty-gritty details, it seems so real! I'm SO excited and looking foward to the birth.

Weebu is doing great, measuring 35.5w (I'm 36w today). She thinks he's hanging out posterior, but he still wiggles around a bit. She recommended hanging otu on my hands and knees as much as possible (although, whenever I do this, my toddlers automatically assume mommy's a horse ).

We have almost all the birth stuff ready. All the important stuff anyways. I can't really have towels, etc. gathered, because then we wouldn't have anything to use in the meantime!

Anyone else suddenly hit with the though "OMG, I'm going to have a baby... and SOON!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 08:33 PM

My first home visit will be next week, at 38 weeks... I am dreading it, because I don't want the midwife to know just how messy we really are, but I don't know how I am going to get the house ready in a week. : I keep meaning to, but I am just too tired.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamilee21 View Post
My first home visit will be next week, at 38 weeks... I am dreading it, because I don't want the midwife to know just how messy we really are, but I don't know how I am going to get the house ready in a week. : I keep meaning to, but I am just too tired.
My home visit is Sunday and we haven't even STARTED getting the house ready yet. *sigh* better get to working on it though.

SAHM to 2 year olds Tesla and Lucius. twins.gif
Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaMountainMomma View Post
She recommended hanging otu on my hands and knees as much as possible (although, whenever I do this, my toddlers automatically assume mommy's a horse ).
I can relate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaMountainMomma View Post
Anyone else suddenly hit with the though "OMG, I'm going to have a baby... and SOON!"
What!?!? We're going to get babies out of all this!?!? No kidding???

Quote:
I personally like to set the bar low, so they don't expect much when they show up during or after my labor. Maybe strew some trash around just so it looks REALLY clean when she shows up for the birth.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:19 AM

We just had our home meeting last week. I'm getting excited too! Today I got some energy and went through all the baby clothes. I re-organized them all separating the uni-sex and the girl clothes (we've got two girls and we don't know our baby's gender). I even re-washed all the unisex 0-6 mo clothes and put them in a drawer.

I have a few things left to gather for the birth and lots of cleaning to do. It's really strange to think that we're having another person in our family!! That's the silliest thing to say, but for some reason this one is more unbelievable than the other two.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 AM

Yes, it's definitely hitting home for me too! I had my home visit yesterday. Next week i'll be "full term". OMG, I'm having another baby!

We are not 100% ready but if babe showed up at 37 weeks it would be OK. (not that i'm expecting early but I like to be prepared). Still waiting on herbs through the mail for compresses, and I need to get some things at the store like Vit E oil- arnica- chux- washcloths etc. All the baby's clothes and diapers are ready to go. I do need a bassinet pad for the baby basket, and one of those cool temple thermometers that I can use for both kids. I have been waiting for someone nice to give us a BRU gift card but it hasn't happened
Old 06-06-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post

I personally like to set the bar low, so they don't expect much when they show up during or after my labor. Maybe strew some trash around just so it looks REALLY clean when she shows up for the birth.
ROFL, I told my DH the same thing! He's the resident neat freak of the house, and was stressing out a bit. But I told him that I don't want to spend hours cleaning the house now, as it'll only get messy again before my birthing time. and there's NO way I'm cleaning during that!!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
This is us too, though we'll just be 35 weeks for this visit (the timing works out this way because I've declined the every 2 weeks visit and want to stick to every 4). We're not usually *this* messy, but I would like to have it looking a bit nicer and a bit closer to what it'll be like for labor - we've gotta rearrange some stuff to fit the pool in and to just make laboring in there easier - much less accommodate 2 more adults.

I also need to get birth supplies together so that she doesn't get fussy I don't have them, though I doubt she would, she's wonderfully laid back. I told her I wasn't buying her birth kit because I prefer having more reusable items on hand and she had no issue with that. I kinda freak out when I think of other people being in my house during labor, but I guess thats just gonna happen if I want them here.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
Old 06-06-2008, 11:18 AM

Other than picking up, are there any other things you gals recommend to get the house ready? Our home visit isn't for another 4 weeks...

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:23 PM

Hmmm.... I made banana bread and tea. (although it turns out one of the MWs is allergic to bananas, so I will not be making that again for the birth )
Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 PM

Surprisingly enough, I am pretty much ready. My home visit is tomorrow. I have a tub in my closet full of everything on the list, including towels and washcloths, folded and clean and everything. I got the birth kit earlier this week and it's in a box in the closet, too (on the shelf so DC don't drag it out... I had some extra Chux pads and DD was already into those, trying to get me to fasten one on her like a cape ). I've got a little nursery basket with all baby's stuff in it - gown, hat, thermometer, boogie-sucker, socks.

I don't think I have EVER been ready this early. After my bout with cntx a few weeks ago, we confirmed that the earliest my MW will deliver at home is 36 weeks, although she prefers babies stay put until 37 weeks. In any case, I was 36 weeks yesterday (OMG) and so I'm in the clear for that.

I am still working for two more weeks (til the 20th). I want the babe to stay put at least that long, but seriously, I do NOT want to go late. I'd have to pay health insurance out of pocket to stay on the policy and ensure the MW gets paid. As it is I am letting the policy lapse right AFTER the birth because I can't afford it anymore, so keeping my fingers crossed that LO is right on time.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 PM

I guess I should order the birth kit and get all the towels and baby's stuff together by then...I did not think of that!

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:23 PM

Congratulations to all the Mama's on getting ready for their homebirths and having their home visits, sounds exciting

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!

User Tag List