give your sage advice here... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 24 Old 06-07-2008, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
 
meowee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you've been through birth/ the early months with babe before, what advice do you wish everyone could heed from you?

I'd say the best (and hardest) lesson I've learned is: even if you feel great and like superwoman after giving birth, stay in bed for three days, no matter what. Just get up for the necessities, and nurse and cuddle your baby in bed for those three days, if at all humanly possible.
meowee is offline  
#2 of 24 Old 06-07-2008, 03:03 PM
 
Lorette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: in the garden
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
stay in bed for three days, no matter what. Just get up for the necessities, and nurse and cuddle your baby in bed for those three days, if at all humanly possible.
That sounds so lovely!
Lorette is offline  
#3 of 24 Old 06-07-2008, 04:17 PM
 
julesinottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd say to have a plan for who you will call if you need a lactation consultant and a place lined up to rent a hospital grade pump so that if necessary you aren't scrambling. If you have trouble with the baby latching, you really need the hospital grade pump to get lactation going.
julesinottawa is offline  
#4 of 24 Old 06-07-2008, 04:55 PM
 
veganf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Framingham, MA
Posts: 8,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You will not get anything done for weeks except for baby care and meeting your most basic bodily functions. Period.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
veganf is offline  
#5 of 24 Old 06-07-2008, 05:25 PM
 
Lorette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: in the garden
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
You will not get anything done for weeks except for baby care and meeting your most basic bodily functions. Period.
So true!
Lorette is offline  
#6 of 24 Old 06-07-2008, 06:36 PM
 
HulaJenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada eh.
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Accept help even if your instinct is to say no (and even if you think you can "handle it"). It will save your strength and sanity for more important things - like bonding with baby.

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

HulaJenn is offline  
#7 of 24 Old 06-07-2008, 06:39 PM
 
ryansma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where people yell O-H-I-O
Posts: 2,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Listen to your instincts and trust that you know what your baby needs. Grand yourself permission to just sit and soak in your new baby.

crashing your ddc sorry

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
ryansma is offline  
#8 of 24 Old 06-07-2008, 08:03 PM
 
quarteralien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: upstate New York
Posts: 2,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Enjoy every stage. They are each different, special and short! This is especially true of the newborn phase. It is so short and it's easy to get caught up in the frantic nature of it, but it goes by too quickly and then your baby isn't so little any more.
quarteralien is offline  
#9 of 24 Old 06-07-2008, 08:29 PM
 
Emily12581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: White Bear lake, MN
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Make meals ahead of time, say no to visitors if you are tired, and enjoy your baby as much as you can!
Emily12581 is offline  
#10 of 24 Old 06-07-2008, 09:41 PM
 
1972momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say ... if you visit the pediatrician before a week has passed (which imho is too early, but that's another post) ... i.e., before your milk has come in and your baby has had time to return to birth weight naturally ... and your pediatrician starts talking about supplementing ... consider instead calling a lactation consultant who can help your baby learn to feed more efficiently and determine whether there's really a problem with your supply (which is actually quite rare) ... most doctors don't have a clue ...
1972momma is offline  
#11 of 24 Old 06-07-2008, 10:36 PM
 
catnap70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: In the Butterfly Garden
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sleep as much as you can, whenever you have an opportunity. Don't "get stuff done" (except maybe bathe. ) Just get sleep and take care of yourself too. You can't provide for anyone else if you are a wreck. Mommies who already have one or more might find this one harder though.
catnap70 is offline  
#12 of 24 Old 06-07-2008, 11:54 PM
 
pazerific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: metro detroit
Posts: 1,996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
eat, drink, and then eat some more. you'll never feel good if you're not properly nourished and hydrated. it's so easy to be wrapped up in your new bundle of joy that you forget to take care of yourself.

wear your jammies when ppl come to visit so they get the idea that you're still healing, and aren't up to "waiting on" anyone except the new babe.

no one should come through your door in the 1st couple of weeks unless they have something helpful to offer--food, laundry/cleaning help, etc.

don't be afraid to reach out to someone if you're feeling extra blue. it's nothing to be ashamed of, and chances are you know ppl who have been through it too.
pazerific is offline  
#13 of 24 Old 06-08-2008, 12:07 AM
 
Spark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Prodromal Labor Island Ambassador
Posts: 11,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
You will not get anything done for weeks except for baby care and meeting your most basic bodily functions. Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
Enjoy every stage. They are each different, special and short! This is especially true of the newborn phase. It is so short and it's easy to get caught up in the frantic nature of it, but it goes by too quickly and then your baby isn't so little any more.
I am just nodding so fervently to both of these!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Spark is offline  
#14 of 24 Old 06-08-2008, 05:35 AM
 
yvonnemlv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reiteraring food. Remember to eat! We've been pregnant for most of a year, gone through a lot of work to get baby out and are now nourishing the baby (for those who are able to breastfeed), our bodies need a lot of nourishment during the recovery period to heal our bodies and feed our babies.

For first time moms, you'll get hungry and thirsty every time you nurse (well, at least I did and many moms I know do, lol) so prepare your nursing area with snacks and water and drinks! or have someone available to fetch them as soon as you are settled in.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

yvonnemlv is offline  
#15 of 24 Old 06-08-2008, 08:03 AM
 
Lorette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: in the garden
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972momma View Post
I would say ... if you visit the pediatrician before a week has passed (which imho is too early, but that's another post) ... i.e., before your milk has come in and your baby has had time to return to birth weight naturally ... and your pediatrician starts talking about supplementing ... consider instead calling a lactation consultant who can help your baby learn to feed more efficiently and determine whether there's really a problem with your supply (which is actually quite rare) ... most doctors don't have a clue ...
This is great advice. It almost happened to me last time. I had ds on Monday midday. My milk came in Thursday evening. He lost weight until then (of course) the ped had me all scared and freaked out. I'm sure that didn;t help my milk come in sooner!
This time I will try to avoid a ped appt until at least 1 week.
How do I do that?
Just tell them no when they ask me to come in sooner?
I don't think it's good for mom or baby to be going to dr so soon... germs, having to get dressed, get out of bed, drive, disturb the peace of the babymoon.

Lorette
Lorette is offline  
#16 of 24 Old 06-08-2008, 08:06 AM
 
Lorette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: in the garden
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnemlv View Post

For first time moms, you'll get hungry and thirsty every time you nurse (well, at least I did and many moms I know do, lol) so prepare your nursing area with snacks and water and drinks! or have someone available to fetch them as soon as you are settled in.
Yes, I had my dh go out and buy me a gallon water container with a straw. Each time I would nurse in the first week or two I would drink about a half gallon of water.

I needed a container with a straw because it took two hands for me to nurse at the beginning and dh would just hold the container for me and I would drink out of the straw.
Lorette is offline  
#17 of 24 Old 06-08-2008, 11:14 AM
 
HulaJenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada eh.
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorette View Post
This is great advice. It almost happened to me last time. I had ds on Monday midday. My milk came in Thursday evening. He lost weight until then (of course) the ped had me all scared and freaked out. I'm sure that didn;t help my milk come in sooner!
This time I will try to avoid a ped appt until at least 1 week.
How do I do that?
Just tell them no when they ask me to come in sooner?
I don't think it's good for mom or baby to be going to dr so soon... germs, having to get dressed, get out of bed, drive, disturb the peace of the babymoon.

Lorette
I don't know if there is a standard to see doc after 1 week, but where we are, the doc wants baby's first visit to be @ 2 weeks so I'm sure unless there are other health issues that you could refuse a 1 week visit?
We also don't have access to a Lactation consultant so for those that live in areas where that isn't available, hopefully there are other resources out there (be it online or a good nurse at the hospital). We have a midwife helper that isn't a certified consultant but encourages BF and helps with latching etc....

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

HulaJenn is offline  
#18 of 24 Old 06-08-2008, 11:27 AM
 
madiesmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trying to hit something not covered...use your sitz bath if you tear even one stitch worth. It doubles the healing time and makes your lower region feel so much better. I really had trouble the 1st time finding time to do the sitz bath, but when I did it was heavenly...

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
madiesmommy is offline  
#19 of 24 Old 06-08-2008, 11:32 AM
 
HulaJenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada eh.
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madiesmommy View Post
Trying to hit something not covered...use your sitz bath if you tear even one stitch worth. It doubles the healing time and makes your lower region feel so much better. I really had trouble the 1st time finding time to do the sitz bath, but when I did it was heavenly...
I recall hearing this with my first 2 but then the nurses never told me what it actually was. it's not the same as the peri-bottle is it? Do you sit in a bath full of salts or something?
I've also heard witch hazel on a pad is helpful for healing even if there is no tearing?

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

HulaJenn is offline  
#20 of 24 Old 06-08-2008, 11:58 AM
 
pazerific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: metro detroit
Posts: 1,996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaJenn View Post
I don't know if there is a standard to see doc after 1 week, but where we are, the doc wants baby's first visit to be @ 2 weeks so I'm sure unless there are other health issues that you could refuse a 1 week visit?
my dd didn't see the doc until she was 3 or 4mos. we just didn't call to make the appt until then. no big deal. no one was knocking down our door looking for her. you could always schedule something and then call to cancel (tell them you're too tired from nursing all night) and you'll call back to reschedule, but just don't call back until you're ready.

eta: i just thought about this while posting on spark's thread. keep making plans for your life as if you will definitely be preggy until 42wks. you can always cancel out if you have the babe earlier, but there's nothing worse than sitting home at 40+wks with nothing to do because you were expecting to have had your LO by then.
pazerific is offline  
#21 of 24 Old 06-08-2008, 12:17 PM
 
prothyraia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Borean Tundra
Posts: 2,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do one thing just for yourself, every single day, no matter what.

For me, it was a shower. I got a 5 minute shower, even if there was no one else there and the baby cried for those five minutes. I'd sing to him, but I got my fricken shower!
prothyraia is offline  
#22 of 24 Old 06-08-2008, 12:41 PM
 
christinespurlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you tear or have a skid mark, find a pail to pee in. Squatting will keep you stinging urine off your girly parts.
christinespurlock is offline  
#23 of 24 Old 06-08-2008, 03:20 PM
 
veganf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Framingham, MA
Posts: 8,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madiesmommy View Post
Trying to hit something not covered...use your sitz bath if you tear even one stitch worth. It doubles the healing time and makes your lower region feel so much better. I really had trouble the 1st time finding time to do the sitz bath, but when I did it was heavenly...
Huh, I had 2 stitches after baby #2 (9lbs.5oz., nuchal hand & cord, entire labor 1hr40mins)...and I never even felt them, never bothered me peeing, never noticed if/when the stitches came out/dissolved. I wish anyone with a small tear my good fortune!

Leaning over to pee works well, that way the urine doesn't go backwards to that area at all.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
veganf is offline  
#24 of 24 Old 06-08-2008, 03:59 PM
 
Emily12581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: White Bear lake, MN
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Huh, I had 2 stitches after baby #2 (9lbs.5oz., nuchal hand & cord, entire labor 1hr40mins)...and I never even felt them, never bothered me peeing, never noticed if/when the stitches came out/dissolved. I wish anyone with a small tear my good fortune!

Leaning over to pee works well, that way the urine doesn't go backwards to that area at all.
I agree....

I don't know if it was the 10 lb baby, or the 4+ hours of pushing, but I'm thinking I killed my nerves and I didn't feel a thing! I even poo'd 15 minutes after giving birth and wiped with TP...and I had a 4th degree episiotomy.....
Emily12581 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off