anyone here delivered a sunny side up baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday I updated that I was 80% effaced and 3 cm dilated. I forgot to mention that Jeremiah likes to lay with his back to my back. I keep hoping to feel a nice firm back on my left side but it is always feet and knees maybe.... just little bumpy things

So if you have delivered one like this how bad was it? ANy tricks to turning a baby over before delivery?

Carla

Oh yeah and any one have a link to that contractions timing web site?

~Carla~ LOVING~ LIFE~
Homebirthing, somewhat crunchy, single mom of ~5~.
#2 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 AM

My last baby (now 5 years old) was born sunny side up.
We didn't know until her birth. If the Dr. knew ahead of time, he didn't tell us. So, I have no idea what we could have done to turn her.
We opted for a hospital birth at the time, and I had been given an epidural, so was definitely medicated. If such a delivery is harder on a woman, I wouldn't have known the difference. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it, but I was told that I had a "lip", something to do with the cervix. We were all waiting for that lip to go away before I could start pushing.
Pushing her out was not especially difficult. I felt the urge to push despite the epidural, and not even the nurses interfered with what I was doing. It felt very powerful.
I'm sorry to not be more helpful!

Mom of 4
#3 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 02:35 AM

At my u/s last week my babe was sunny side up as well, but today at my dr. appt we think she has spun some more and her spine is against my left now. She is really active so I don't think she is done moving yet.

My doctor suggested doing pelvic tilts while on all fours (rocking your hips up and down). This can also be done on a birth/exercise ball, or while leaning on a chair or something. The idea is to let gravity help move things around a bit.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#4 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 04:07 AM

My first was. It was back labor, and still quite quick and relatively easy, though intense.
#5 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 04:49 AM

Doing a sort of lung with one leg up on a chair and leaning into your knee can help turn a sunny side up babe - in your case, if you're trying to encourage a back on your left side, you'd put your right leg up on the chair and lean into it.

Also laying basicly on your tummy with your tummy squished to the side but your shoulders flat and one leg straight, the other pulled way up can help.

Patti Ramos (you can google her and find her on line) teaches an awesome child birth workshop and one of the things she talks about is how to get baies in optimal position. If you need help, you might want to email her for suggestions. She's awesome.

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

#6 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 07:33 AM

My youngest DS was sunny side up and we didn't know until labour began. It was more painful than my first, but quicker. He was 9lbs 9.5oz. The Dr wanted to section, but I was against that idea from the get-go. I say don't worry about it, especially since its not your first. I was born bum first, no section, and I was Mom's 3ed!! HTH
Alana
#7 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 AM

My 3rd was that way up until labor. My instincts told me to be on hands & knees a lot during labor, or standing leaning against a chair, counter, etc. During transition I totally felt him flip around (and more water that his head had been plugging gushed out as it happened) as I was leaning against the couch, so I was lucky not to have to push him out that way.

As for timing contractions--Do people really do that?! My husband tried in the beginning of labor with our first, but eventually gave up. Never bothered even glancing at the clock with any of the others.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#8 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 08:43 AM

#9 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
As for timing contractions--Do people really do that?! My husband tried in the beginning of labor with our first, but eventually gave up. Never bothered even glancing at the clock with any of the others.
LOL, we had a whole sheet going with DD1.... this time.... not gonna bother!
#10 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Someone ask if people really time ctx LOL I like to make sure mine are long enough to be working Like over a minute. But don't care how far in between. I had alot of prodromal labor with #1 and 2 and basically the ctx were not long enough for the first 12 hrs! To bad I didn't know I was not in labor!

~Carla~ LOVING~ LIFE~
#11 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 12:32 PM

My 1st 2 both came out sunnyside up.
They weren;t that way beofre labor - so they must've spun around during labor.
they both presented chins to chest, very posterior part of the head.

Really it wasn;t so bad. The 1st one took 20 mins, the 2nd one took 1 contrx. I didn't tear at all either.

my biggest tips are just letting gravity work for you, and dont push untill the middle of a contraction. when the contraction starts just focus on opening up - then push. That worked for me.
#12 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 02:15 PM

both of my kids were. my first labor was pitocin augmented and my 2nd was a homebirth. the 2nd went pretty fast. i did not tear or anything, either. i think i was only pushing for maybe...20-30 minutes?

i have heard good things about the spinning babies website. i am cool with letting this baby come in whatever position he wants to come in, though. part of me wonders if the way my body is, i'm just meant to have posterior babies?
#13 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 02:48 PM

I did with my UC last time and it was pretty brutal. Very long and lots of back labor.

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#14 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 03:16 PM

My third baby was sunny side up and was stuck. The doctor had to actually grab him and turn him during a contraction. Once she turned him, he came right out on the next contraction, but it was the worse pain I have every experienced in all four of my unmedicated births.
#15 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 04:06 PM

My DS was born posterior. It was a REALLY long labour, with a fairly long pushing stage. I also had some pretty bad tearing.

I love the tips in this thread on either how to spin baby, or how to deliver a posterior baby though. With my first we didn't even know he was posterior until he came out but it totally makes sense because I was having lots of back labour.

I honestly have no idea if this little one is posterior right now or not. I do know he or she isn't breech at this point and I'm happy for that.
#16 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 04:58 PM

My first was posterior too. It was a long, excruciating labor, not sure how much was because of her positioning. This time though I am doing all I can to make sure this baby is well positioned. Some suggestions I am trying to follow from my midwife and doctor are:
Use good posture, don't slouch
Swim everyday
lie only on side with top leg bent over bottom leg

Good luck!
#17 of 22 Old 06-10-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stephanie~ View Post
My third baby was sunny side up and was stuck. The doctor had to actually grab him and turn him during a contraction.
Same thing here - talk about a surprise. : The back labor was terrible, and I had absolutely no breaks within contractions... it was so bad that I ended up getting an epi at 8 cm, and after that is when the OB reached in and did her thing. Even with the epi I about jumped out of the bed. I really, really hope I don't have to go through that again - this one will be med-free if at all possible.

Liz, mommy to DD1 (June 2006) and DD2 (August 2008) :
#18 of 22 Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 PM

I've had 2 face up babies. Both made for long pushing stages. Dh had to literally push one of them out b/c he was stuck on my pubic bone!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#19 of 22 Old 06-11-2008, 08:42 PM

Hey, peachymomma did your baby turn or can you come back & answer your own questions now that you birthed him?

My first was posterior. Ow. I do everything I can to avoid that! An anterior baby feels SO much nicer!!!!!

I second, third, fourth www.spinningbabies.com

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#20 of 22 Old 06-13-2008, 02:22 PM

My first was sunny side up but they figured it out when I was about 8 cm. My midwife and OB got me on my hands and knees and we did pelvic rocks and he turned. They were physically having to rock me though b/c I was in such horrid pain! The back labor was awful! I had a natural birth though (no epidural) and delivered a 8 lb 13.7 oz. boy. I only wish they would have been there sooner to have figured it out when the labor wasn't quite so intense...
#21 of 22 Old 06-14-2008, 01:52 AM

My baby is posterior right now (first one out of 5 babies). I went to the chiro this morning and discovered that my pelvis and tailbone were totally out of whack. I slipped on ice back in February and landed on my back (also broke my elbow). The chiro was confident that once my pelvis is back in line my baby will turn.

I'm also doing exercises to turn the baby (forward leaning, pelvic tilts, etc.). I would prefer her to turn before labor.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#22 of 22 Old 06-14-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I might update that I did deliver a sunny side up babe. Labor was bad in the back!!! But pulling him up between my legs and having him face me was awesome!

~Carla~ LOVING~ LIFE~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page