Depends? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-10-2008, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone mentioned that they use "Depends Undergarments" after the birth (I think it was Spark).

I am thinking of buying some.

Why do you like them, if you have used them? How long do you use them for?

Lorette
#2 of 24 Old 06-10-2008, 08:19 PM

I asked this same question a little while ago on the pregnancy board, I got a lot of great responses. Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...t=Depends+Pads

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#3 of 24 Old 06-10-2008, 09:14 PM

My MW suggested that I get a pack. What they do is have you put witch hazel on a few pads, freeze them and wear the pad in the Depends over the first day or so. The Depends will keep the pads from leaking.

GL!

April, wife to Scott, mother to Lily (07/23/08) and furbaby Bella (6/21/04), and expecting baby #2 in February 2012. 

#4 of 24 Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 PM

: I'm thinking of getting some. I can't find chux pads in my regular store- do they sell them in supermarkets?
#5 of 24 Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbeachgirl View Post
: I'm thinking of getting some. I can't find chux pads in my regular store- do they sell them in supermarkets?
Are they the same thing as Underpads? I got mine at Walgreens. They were in the same section as the Depends.

April, wife to Scott, mother to Lily (07/23/08) and furbaby Bella (6/21/04), and expecting baby #2 in February 2012. 

#6 of 24 Old 06-10-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:

As terrible as this sounds, they are also sold in Pet Supply Stores, as puppy training pads.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#7 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 12:04 AM

Oh man, as humiliating as it feels, I'm now thinking of getting some Depends myself.
Where do I buy witch hazel from, though? Thanks for the info.

Mom of 4
#8 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 12:36 AM

Great thread, Jenna! Thanks!

I am SO going to buy some now!

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#9 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 12:40 AM

I used the Depends undergarments (the panties - not the pads) last time. And I totally plan to use them again this time.
Actually I think they are on sale at walgreens or CVS this week.. I'll have to check my ads.
I used them for 3 days last time. Prob will use them 3 or 4 days this time.

OMG i Looooove them!!
I dont; know what ya'll are stuffing in your post partum undies, but I've got ice, comfry, 3 or 4 witchahzel pads at atime, and some other creams or salves. You know - whatever works. It;s a smorgesboard in my pants.
So the depends keep everything in nice and tight - no shifting at all! - they don't leak at all, and they are firm and tight without being uncomfortable. Also they are very absorbant (and for anyone who has keenly feltt those gushes during BFing the 1st few days.. you know thats not the time for your pads to fail you)

Now I am a cloth napkin, rags for cleaning, cloth diaper, dont; waste our resources kinda gal.
But when it comes ot post-partum: I NEED me some DEPENDS PANTIES.
#10 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 AM

oph - and witch hazel is sold in a bottle at drugg stores next to the hydryogen peroxide and the alcohol.
#11 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 01:34 AM

depends are great after birth. for chux pads, a hospital supply store is usually cheaper then a pet store.
#12 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
I was just at wegmans tonight, and our local one doesn't have them in the human section, but they do have them in the pet section.

I grabbed a pack while I was at work a week ago : but keep forgetting to grab at least one more...I work at a hospital, so these are nice big chux pads!

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#13 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 03:18 AM

Depends are nice if your water breaks (and then continues to leak) while you're in early labor. With DD#2 labor started with my water trickeling - i was wetting a normal maxi pad through in about 1/2 - 1 hour, the depends were a life savor!

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

#14 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryknowlicious View Post
It;s a smorgesboard in my pants.
#15 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 09:11 AM

I've never needed anything like depends, and I hate the smell of witch hazel, I threw mine away after purchasing it off my birth kit list.
Sitting on a chux pad is better IMO to allow for air circulation, especially in the summer heat! I used cotton/hemp prefolds for my pads and they felt so nice and cool. As for during labor, no way would I want to be wearing anything in that area...I can't even stand wearing underwear in the last trimester.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#16 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
I used cotton/hemp prefolds for my pads and they felt so nice and cool.
How did you do this? Did they get stained?
#17 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
.I can't even stand wearing underwear in the last trimester.
This is how I feel about bras now!
But my boobs are so huge and floppy I feel like a real sight going out in public without a bra!
#18 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 10:59 AM

I'm going to buy some Depends today

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#19 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 AM

I read somewhere that the puppy pads are treated with some sort of chemical to encourage the puppy to pee on it. I would make sure to check before going that route.

#20 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorette View Post
How did you do this? Did they get stained?
Just trifolded 2 them and stuck them in my underwear. Or sat on them in the first few days in bed or on the couch (with a towel or chux on the couch too, just in case).
Nope, no stains. I soak in cold water for 5 minutes, wring out excess, then throw in with the cloth diaper load.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#21 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 02:17 PM

Wow! Thanks so much for the reminder!!! I had told my mom when I had my son that if I EVER had another child, I NEEDED Depends panties... it seems like it would be so much nice than those horrible panties they put on me that didn't fit and were one size fits all. They were horrible! I'll be buying some today... thanks for the reminder!!!!
#22 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 02:47 PM

I need to go get some also, they were a lifesaver after my last birth. No worries about leaks, and way more comfy than the mesh things the hospital gives you.

: mom of Gavin Rhain and Grant, Doula
#23 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just trifolded 2 them and stuck them in my underwear. Or sat on them in the first few days in bed or on the couch (with a towel or chux on the couch too, just in case).
Nope, no stains. I soak in cold water for 5 minutes, wring out excess, then throw in with the cloth diaper load.
That's so great. It's these simple things I never think of myself and I'm so glad I have MDC for! Thanks....
Lorette
#24 of 24 Old 06-11-2008, 05:46 PM

5 babies... 1 BC birth... 1 homebirth... and until this pregnancy I'd never even SEEN anyone recommend adult diapers for postpartum. I've used the super-absorbent heating or cooling pads they give you in the hospital (they're chemically heated or cooled, though - not w/ witch hazel) and I remember thinking that's the biggest thing I missed with the BC/homebirths.

Chux, I had those for my homebirth, got them at Walgreens (sold as underpads, also work great for little boys who don't get out of bed in time to go potty in the middle of the night ).

This time, however, the adult diapers were in my birth kit and on the homebirth list (in case you wanted to assemble the birth kit yourself instead of paying for the MW's kit). I thought... hmmm... okaaaaaaaaaaaaaay... what are THESE for?? I also saw pads soaked in witch hazel and frozen, and thought WOW - I should have done that last time!!!

I'm wondering how I missed out on this information the other times??! Surely my previous MWs knew about it... yet it was never on their lists or amongst their suggestions! Just glad I know about it this time around!

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page