Maybe going into active labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Woot! I've been in darn prodromal labor since Saturday. Contractions that aren't timeable, regular, or painful; intestinal crap; mucous plug; just general crappy feeling. Well, tonight something kind of switched. I got into a fairly decent labor pattern for about 2-3 hours. Every 3 minutes. None of them were "breath taking" contractions, but some were quite painful. Many of them gave me a lot of pressure in my butt. Not quite sure what that means. Maybe that the head is down there tight? They're kind of peetering right now, spreading out a bit but still there. I'm going to lay down and try to sleep. Hopefully I'll get some rest and in a few hours I can wake up in full-blown goin' to the hospital labor.

Wish me luck that this is it and I'll be holding my baby in a few hours.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#2 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 02:20 AM

GL! lots of ELVs coming your way!
#3 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 02:36 AM

oh, goody goody gumballs!

here's to hoping for a good nap, a energy packed snack, and a new babe pretty soon!

happy birthing...keep us posted!
#4 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 03:35 AM

I hope for your sake this is the real thing starting up! Please let it be!

Forget the Easy Labor Vibes, because you've been doing enough of those... let's go for some Intense Labor Land Inducing Vibes!

(Oh, and I'm up here at 2:30am with ctx that won't leave me alone. Ugh. I'm tired. I need to go back to bed & hope they stop. Wine anyone?)

Hope you're getting some good rest!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#5 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 07:52 AM

well, ladies, I hope you're both resting or doing some productive work! I'm up...not with contractions, just up, wondering how you are doing. looking forward to updates in the morning (later in the morning, that is)
#6 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 08:13 AM

This is my first post and was so excited to see this jump out at me Tiffany.
How exciting, good luck and hope you got some rest.
#7 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 08:19 AM

::
#8 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 09:39 AM

Maybe we will finally "see" the baby Noodle today! Thoughts are with you today mama! And the timing would be just what you hoped for!
#9 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 09:52 AM

I hope both of you had productive nights, can't wait to hear more!!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#10 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 AM

How are you doing, Tiffanoodle? Hope you got some really good rest.

Oh, don't look for me to go into labor anytime soon. I just usually contract away until my EDD or beyond. This is my normal. My body likes to labor a long time before the actual labor. Just priming everything & doing test runs on the uterus.

#11 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 10:49 AM

I hope you are having your baby right now!

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#12 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 PM

Oh Tiffany!!! Wooo hoooooo!!!! Sooooo very exciting! ELV to you, if you haven't had that babe already! I really hope you are holding that sweet babe! Can't wait to see pictures!

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#13 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 12:25 PM

Good luck.... keep us posted...

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#14 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 01:14 PM

This is so exciting!!!
#15 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 01:19 PM

Sending good birthing vibes your way!!!

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi
#16 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 04:53 PM

How exciting!! I can't wait to here any news!
#17 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 05:43 PM

Looks like she's been online and posting other places, but just not on this thread. I'm guessing this means she's not in active labor. Hoping it comes soon for her though.

#18 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh. I want to scream. I went to the OB today. She could feel that I was having a strong contraction. I was so sure that when she checked me she'd say I was at least 4cm. Nope...she said I was CLOSED! I almost cried. I said "but last week I was 1-2. She checked again, a bit more aggressively. She said "oh, now I can get a fingertip in there. It's just really high up." Last week I was checked by another OB and he had no problem getting to my cervix. Probably just a difference in fingers, but I'm still sad about it.

She put me on the monitor and baby is looking great. The monitor definitely picked up contractions, but if they're not dilating me, then what good are they. : She prescribed me a sleeping pill and said I should try to get a really good night sleep tonight. If it's false labor, the contractions should calm down when I'm relaxed. If it's real, it should relax me enough to kick things into gear. I didn't pick up the prescription. I'm not sure if my mom's staying tonight, but dh has to work and if I'm home alone with the kids I can't sleep that soundly. I'm considering going out to get a nice bottle of wine and having a glass of that. And I'm also drinking a strong batch of RRLT to see if that can kick in some good productive contractions. I'm timing them right now and they're about 3 minutes apart. Hard to time them when I'm up and about, though, because it's just one solid contraction.

I'm sick of this game. I'm ready to have this baby NOW.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#19 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 08:53 PM

Oh you poor thing! That's just awful!
#20 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 PM

aw, shucks, honey. I'm sorry that's happening to you. I hope you get some rest and then maybe things will happen. Hang in there, try to relax. the baby will come.
#21 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 09:15 PM

It's really awful... I've had prodromal labor since Saturday, with "real" contractions last night that just stopped. I am willing to be patient but I'm just so uncomfortable .
#22 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffanoodle View Post
The monitor definitely picked up contractions, but if they're not dilating me, then what good are they. :
Oh, Tiffany, they ARE doing a lot. There's more than just dilation going on right now. Dilation is the last thing that happens in labor. Remember, the cervix has to go from posterior all the way to anterior AND the cervix has to thin & ripen before dilation occurs intensely. These steps are most likely being accomplished, but not every care provider talks about them. But they HAVE to happen before dilation. If your cervix is higher up, that means that it is thinning out and effacing. That's WONDERFUL WONDERFUL progress, Tiffany. Your body is working SO well.

Quote:
I'm considering going out to get a nice bottle of wine and having a glass of that. And I'm also drinking a strong batch of RRLT to see if that can kick in some good productive contractions.
Okay, so if you decide that you don't like the information in the Prodromal Survival Guide thread, then by all means just do what you want to do, but there is a lot of good info there that will help you as it's helped many other women. Remember, RRLT really isn't recommended for this kind of situation. Neither is red wine. White wine is totally fine though & completely encouraged. RRL and red wine both have tannins in them. Tannins create MORE tendency to contract and thus more of a likelihood of developing an irritated uterus. Really anything you are doing to encourage contractions, it's best to stop at this point. Your body doesn't need any more stimulation.

Quote:
I'm timing them right now and they're about 3 minutes apart. Hard to time them when I'm up and about, though, because it's just one solid contraction.
Timing really doesn't mean anything in this situation. The more you post, the more I think you're probably already dealing with an irritable uterus (welcome to the club!). So, just stop timing all together... I mean, what's the point? Yes, they're close. Yes, they're intense. But, it's not labor yet. And, yes, that SUCKS! But, having the clock remind you that you're contracting every 3 or 4 or 2 minutes isn't helping you feel better about dealing with this emotional part of pre-labor.

Quote:
I'm sick of this game. I'm ready to have this baby NOW.
I'm so sorry, Tiffany. I know this is rough. Really, and truly. It is tough. This is probably going to be tougher than labor for you, just because of the emotional component. But, after all this you will REJOICE when your body goes into real intense labor. It will feel SO good that you know you've got your ticket off of Prodromal Island! And, your baby will come. You can do this. You can do this for your baby. I believe in you and I believe in your amazingly awesome body that has nourished your baby and now is working up to the most ideal birth imaginable for your baby.

#23 of 24 Old 06-20-2008, 02:22 AM

So sorry that it is not "real" labor! Though I am sure it feels like real labor at the moment.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#24 of 24 Old 06-20-2008, 04:38 AM

T-
I can sympathize with you, it is really miserable to be having a crapload of strong contractions and still not be in real labor yet. I know I am getting frustrated because I can't seem to get anything done around my house or otherwise because as soon as I get started doing ANYTHING the ctx start up again. I am not a patient person by nature, and it is driving me insane dealing with all the ctx, with no babe in arms to show for it.

Hopefully all this misery will shave some hours off of actual REAL labor for both of us. Hugs and good vibes to you, I hope you are able to get some decent rest and relax for a while tonight. :

FWIW, I've been taking a cal/mag supplement to help with getting to sleep, I think it's called Natural Calm. It's been helping me a lot. In fact, I think I'll take a dose after I get a snack- since the stinkin' ctx woke me at 2am and I'm still up!

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page