anyone worry about fetal movement?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in a semi-freaked out state, but still unwilling to call my midwife because I'm afraid she'll think I'm overly neurotic.
My baby had been kicking a lot in the last few weeks, on a very regular basis. It got to be I was almost able to get her to kick just by willing her to kick me.
I've been attending a conference lasting from wed night to sun. afternoon (we just finished), and have been sitting a lot and have been busy listening to panelists and all that. I noticed yesterday that the kicks have definitely slowed down, and so I've been paying special attention. I started to get increasingly worried, because even after eating a meal and drinking a cold drink she didn't kick. I started to jiggle my belly a bit, talk to the baby, and drinking several glasses of a very cold juice/water mix, and she did finally kick. So, I know she's alive in there. But she's not kicking me as much as she used to!
I have been feeling more contractions that, at this point, still feel mostly like heavy pressure at times. Sometimes I feel something in my back that is uncomfortable and makes me think that the baby shifted.
Could it be that I'm so close to labor (36.5 weeks) that she truly is running out of room to kick, and so she's just more mellow now?
I get so worried thinking about delivering a stillborn, but then at the same time I'm reluctant to get checked out medically because it's just like me to worry about every little thing, and things have always worked out for me in the past.
I don't know. I guess I'm looking for reassurance? She does kick me every once in a while, just not very frequently.
I hate being this worried. It's exhausting. I want to finally meet my baby so I can put my fears to rest and have her breathing in my arms. Sigh.

Mom of 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 06:50 PM

Yes, I do. But I have read that 36 weeks is around the time where things get quite constricted in there, less fluid and placenta starts to age. I also find that after I've been busy for a while I start to wonder when the last time I felt movement was and often can't remember. I can usually get some movement if I drink juice and sit quitely for a while.

I find the early stages and the last few weeks of pregnancy very nervewracking. I hope you feel better knowing you aren't alone.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:58 PM

Baby was moving like crazy until thursday when he turned from transverse to vertex, and now that he's engaged the movements have slowed down a lot. It's not uncommon near the end. Just as long as you're feeling some movement!
What drives me crazy is this baby will sleep for like 9 hours at night and seriously not move at all. Occasionally I'll wake him up because it's so unnerving! But usually I try to wait until 6am and he wakes up and starts squirming...our little rooster!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 06-22-2008, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'm sure the midwife won't think anything of it if you go get checked out. I have noticed that my little one has slowed down too but I think it's a combo of her running out of room and me getting used to the acrobatics. It seems like just when I get myself worked up about her not moving enough I realize she HAS been and it just didn't register.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:41 PM

I'd get it checked out if I were you just to put your mind at ease. No sense in being worried about it if there is no reason to.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:42 PM

Our little girl is usually REALLY active from 9-11 p.m. or so, gives me random kicks throughout the night, then goes through another active spurt about 4:30-5 a.m. Last night, she was kicking up a storm, then suddenly stopped ... and wouldn't respond to anything the rest of the night. I got up about 6:30 and drank a big glass of OJ ... nothing. Fixed a cup of caffeinated coffee a little before 8 ... nothing. About 8:40, we decided to go on to the hopsital to get everything checked. Halfway there, she suddenly decided to start wiggling around and has been moving normally ever since. What a scary way to start the day, though!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:49 PM

My last DD was stillborn at 38.1 weeks (and she still moved from breech to vertex daily). She moved a ton, and her movements slowed on Thursday, when I got up Friday I could tell something was different about her movements around 6:30am, and by 10am she was no longer alive. I knew she had passed, something just told me this. Things like this do happen, and to every kind of person, please, please, please go get checked out. Slowed, and sporadic movement could mean cord compression and distress.

This time around I have to have a BPP done every Monday and Thursday just to ensure (for my sanity) that he's ok in there. I would NOT hesitate to go to the doc for slowed or no movement.

Mama, good luck and I do hope that everything is ok in there!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 06-22-2008, 09:33 PM

Babies don't kick as much towards the end, but if you are worried then you should call. You said yourself her movement pattern has drastically slowed. I'm with Teneal, call.

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
Old 06-23-2008, 12:16 AM

I agree that you should call. I've read of many instances where the baby was delivered "just in time" b/c the Mom went to the hospital based on less movement and a gut feeling that something wasn't right.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well, here's my update.
Baby has been kicking a little more again, and I made dh go out and buy a stethoscope. I've asked him to listen for the baby's heartbeat, and he's had no trouble finding it.
Still, I'm going to call my midwife tomorrow and let her know that I've been worried.
Thank you to everyone for their replies! I can't tell you how much it means to get this kind of feedback from others who are as pregnant as I am and who understand what it's like.
Thank you!!!

Mom of 4
Old 06-24-2008, 11:09 PM

How is everything going with baby movement? I too worry that my baby doesn't move enough, but this is my first and I have nothing to compare it to. That coupled with measuring small for dates is making me kinda paranoid. Sometimes I think my mind just wants something to fixate on and worry about! My midwife totally hears my worries and has offered to send me in for an ultrasound and whatnot (she thinks everything is within the range of normal), but part of me knows that everything is fine!....but what if it's not! Urgghhh, you can see my mind spinning in this post.

How have you been dealing with it?

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldingoddess View Post
How is everything going with baby movement? I too worry that my baby doesn't move enough, but this is my first and I have nothing to compare it to. That coupled with measuring small for dates is making me kinda paranoid. Sometimes I think my mind just wants something to fixate on and worry about! My midwife totally hears my worries and has offered to send me in for an ultrasound and whatnot (she thinks everything is within the range of normal), but part of me knows that everything is fine!....but what if it's not! Urgghhh, you can see my mind spinning in this post.

How have you been dealing with it?
Well, I'm hanging in there! The baby has picked up her movements again, and actually moved so much last night that I wondered why I was ever concerned! She's moved today also many times.
I think that counting her movements is too much for any pregnant woman to handle, as that would make me too anxious.
I also feel that everything is fine, even when I do worry, and have not called my midwife. I will wait for my appt. on thursday. I've been feeling very lethargic and have been letting most things go, and I finally found out why. I've got a very minor cold. It hasn't really broken through yet, but I have vague stuffiness in my head that occasionally gives me a mild headache. Thankfully nothing that I feel like taking meds for, and it's easily dealt with, except that I think it's kicking my pregnant butt and making me tired in an exaggerated way. I don't know.
Boy, will I be happy once I get to hold my baby in my arms!!!

Mom of 4
Old 06-25-2008, 12:27 AM

Sometimes It seems like she gets the hiccups more than she moves around. Do these still count as movements? Obviously she is ok b/c she can hiccup... Guess they take her energy away. After my fall I've been very paranoid and more concious of movements than I ever was w/ my other 2 pregnancies
Old 06-25-2008, 12:44 AM

So glad to here you are feeling better about it! I know what it's like to worry! See my thread I started!

I do get worried also. Just a few nights ago, he didn't move ALL night...I got really worried because usually he moves a lot while I am trying to sleep. So I decided since he is probably just running out of room (and of course I was also hoping he would be a good sleeper! HAHA!) that I would wait until morning to give him a nudge to see if he would move...So I got up the next morning and got a glass of juice and right as I sat down to drink it, he started squirming and moving up a storm!! Ever since then he has been pretty quiet thru the night, only an occasional move, but during the day he active....though not as much as he used to be. I hope he keeps this trend up!
Old 06-25-2008, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaddon View Post
Sometimes It seems like she gets the hiccups more than she moves around. Do these still count as movements? Obviously she is ok b/c she can hiccup... Guess they take her energy away. After my fall I've been very paranoid and more concious of movements than I ever was w/ my other 2 pregnancies
According to Dr. Sears' The Birth Book you cannot include hiccups in a fetal kick count, at least not officially. But I'm with you that those hiccups are mighty reassuring, and so I say (unofficially, lol) that they count!

Mom of 4
Old 06-25-2008, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugsmom View Post
According to Dr. Sears' The Birth Book you cannot include hiccups in a fetal kick count, at least not officially.
Well, dang. Most days I don't need to cheat by using them, but some days the baby is really quiet and it makes me nervous. She does get hiccups reliably, though!

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
Old 06-25-2008, 11:46 AM

Definitely, please don't count hiccups as movement!!! If a baby hiccups TOO much it could be a sign of cord compression. So if you've got not movement, and hiccups that last forever, or more than 3 times a day with no movement, then I'd say a visit to the birth center or L&D is in order.

I'm sorry for pointing that out, but after Kam passed I did tons of research on this. HTH mama!

Snuggle, glad to hear she's back to normal!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 06-25-2008, 12:45 PM

Snuggle - I'm glad she's back to normal! I, too, freak out when I don't feel my babe! My sister had a stillbirth at 39w 5d and so, in my family, we are always a bit more tense until the babes are actually here and in arms! Not to mention that with my low fluid issues, if I don't feel her, I started poking my tummy to get her to move and such because I start to freak out! I know that a lot of people say that they prefer the babe inside, but NOT ME! I want ther here safe and sound! So I understand your freak out when not feeling your babe move!

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
Old 06-25-2008, 03:16 PM

I am 37 weeks and my baby's movement has changed in the past 1-2 weeks. The movements aren't kicks as much as smaller movements and shifting his/her butt from side to side. If I am not watching and waiting for them I can sometimes miss them. I would say if you are worried you should not hestitate to call your MW...it is what she is there for.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too

User Tag List