~>~>Spotlight on FiberLover<~<~ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our "two for one" spotlights continue! FiberLover is up as well. : Everyone be nice!

What is the story behind your username? I think I already know this but I'll ask anyway.

Have you decided on any names or are you a wait until baby is here person?

What is your favorite meal right now?

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#2 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 04:02 PM

What is the story behind your username? I think I already know this but I'll ask anyway.

I'm an obsessed spinner, knitter, and fiber-arts fanatic! We have sheep, alpacas, a llama, and more than anything I love playing with my fibery goodness. Spinning yarn, knitting it, weaving. Ahhhh.

Have you decided on any names or are you a wait until baby is here person?

We're waiting until we meet her . We have a short list of names we like, and when we meet her, we'll pick one. Or a new one, who knows!

What is your favorite meal right now?

Watermelon, ice cold. Then a slice of cheese and a baguette. Then homemade strawberry shortcake.

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#3 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

See, I thought I remembered seeing pictures of your llamas over at ravelry! Do you have a lot of land for all your animals?

Do you sell anything or just hoard it all for yourself?

#4 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecaut View Post
See, I thought I remembered seeing pictures of your llamas over at ravelry! Do you have a lot of land for all your animals?

Do you sell anything or just hoard it all for yourself?
How about this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19675535@N00/2608581325/ Baby goat RIDING around on the back of the llama!

We don't have a ton of land, 3 acres. But we have managed it well, and have pasture, etc.

Well, I haven't sold anything, yet. BUT, I am going to be opening an etsy shop later this summer with fiber from this year's shearing, and probably handspun yarns!

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#5 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 04:27 PM

How many animals and what kinds do you have?

How do you feel physically?

Any last minute things you want to get done before the LO arrives?

How long have you and your DH been together?

Do you have any birth predictions?

Tabitha happily married to Steven - Mama to 4 little ones and another on the way!
#6 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 04:37 PM

How many animals and what kinds do you have?

-2 doggies, 5 kitties, 11 sheep, 2 alpacas, 1 llama, 3 goats, 21 chickens, and 2 turkeys! Yep, loads .

How do you feel physically?

-I feel mostly good, apart from the whole having to stay mostly still at work. I've switched to the yoga ball instead of a desk chair, this helps, and I'm really glad that bed is still comfy!

-The worst part for me is not being able to bend in half. Seems like I'm used to bending far more than I realized.

Any last minute things you want to get done before the LO arrives?

-heh heh. A TON. We're so un-organized it feels like. I need to clean out the basement, the garage, the guest room, the fiber room....paint baby room, paint guest room, install baseboards...the list goes on! Guess how much will get done? hmmm.

How long have you and your DH been together?

-10 yrs this summer!

-Nope, though I did have a dream where I had an amazing birth...on a hideous 70s paisley afghan.

#7 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiberLover View Post

-Nope, though I did have a dream where I had an amazing birth...on a hideous 70s paisley afghan.
That's great!

Tabitha happily married to Steven - Mama to 4 little ones and another on the way!
#8 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 04:46 PM

What kind of birth are you planning?

What books have you enjoyed reading during your pregnancy? Which have you loathed?

How does your DH feel about having a girl?

You make cheese right? How the heck did you get started doing that and when can I come over to have some?

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#9 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 05:00 PM

What kind of birth are you planning?

-We're planning a natural birth, with mws (one of 3 depending on who's on that day), at the birth center attached to the hospital in the small (crunchy) town nearby. The L&D staff there and policy is very progressively crunchy, surprisingly. Things like delayed cord clamping, water birth, water labor, and breastfeeding support are a given, so I think we're in a good place. We live about 45 min from the hospital, too far for my comfort to homebirth at this stage. Baby, #2, we'll see!

What books have you enjoyed reading during your pregnancy? Which have you loathed?

-I've enjoyed reading "Spiritual Midwifery" by Ina May, I just finished reading "A thinking woman's guide" by H. Goer, both of which I loved. For non-pregnancy books, I loved reading "Omnivore's Dilemna" by Michael Pollan. Loved loved. Other than that I guess knitting books with baby patterns .

-Loath: the inherent fear involved in "Your pregnancy week by week" ugh. Seriously, they had a section on anthrax. wtf.

How does your DH feel about having a girl?

-He's OVERJOYED. Said he wanted a girl from the beginning! He said he was happy to be having a girl so we can raise her to be "awesome like you". Made me cry. *sniff*.

You make cheese right? How the heck did you get started doing that and when can I come over to have some?

-Hee, yep, I make cheese! In fact, I need to start that new batch of goat cheese tonight. I guess since cheese has always been my favorite food, I always wanted to learn to make it. I took some classes, read a lot of books. But the thing was, finding good milk. Then, when I connected with people here with good raw milk, I decided to go for it. I bought some equipment and started!

Heck, come on over and try some anytime! I have a goat milk gouda in the fridge right now and the fresh herbed chevre will be ready in 2 days...

#10 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:

-I've enjoyed reading "Spiritual Midwifery" by Ina May, I just finished reading "A thinking woman's guide" by H. Goer, both of which I loved. For non-pregnancy books, I loved reading "Omnivore's Dilemna" by Michael Pollan. Loved loved. Other than that I guess knitting books with baby patterns .

-Loath: the inherent fear involved in "Your pregnancy week by week" ugh. Seriously, they had a section on anthrax. wtf.

-Hee, yep, I make cheese! In fact, I need to start that new batch of goat cheese tonight. I guess since cheese has always been my favorite food, I always wanted to learn to make it. I took some classes, read a lot of books. But the thing was, finding good milk. Then, when I connected with people here with good raw milk, I decided to go for it. I bought some equipment and started!

Heck, come on over and try some anytime! I have a goat milk gouda in the fridge right now and the fresh herbed chevre will be ready in 2 days...
See I knew I had a special little over the internet "we have never met but I feel like we would really get along" vibe. I read The Omnivore's Dilemma when it first came out. I LOVE that book. I just finished In Defense of Food, another wonderful book by Michael Pollan.

And yes, a friend gave me the "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" aka why every medical intervention is rad and you should do everything your doctor says fear trap.

And if you just want to give me our address I will be over for some of that cheese!

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#11 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 05:18 PM

You're SO cool!
I love the llama with the goat! I wish we could have more animals!

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#12 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaW View Post
See I knew I had a special little over the internet "we have never met but I feel like we would really get along" vibe. I read The Omnivore's Dilemma when it first came out. I LOVE that book. I just finished In Defense of Food, another wonderful book by Michael Pollan.

And yes, a friend gave me the "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" aka why every medical intervention is rad and you should do everything your doctor says fear trap.

And if you just want to give me our address I will be over for some of that cheese!
Awww .

Have you read "Animal, Vegetable, Mineral" yet by Barbara Kingsolver? Another good one! I'm going to have to pick up In Defense of Food now!

Hee, sure you want to travel when you're this close to having your baby?

#13 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materfamilias View Post
You're SO cool!
I love the llama with the goat! I wish we could have more animals!
Animals are the best. I can't wait to re-discover the amazingness of them all through the eyes of our baby. Its going to be so much fun raising a kiddo here.

Aww, thank-you , I think we're all pretty cool here!

#14 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 PM

What's the one thing you want to do before your time here is gone?

How many child would you and your DH like to have?

Who takes care of the animals if you and your DH are away?

What's it like to have llamas and alpacas? (I've always been so interested in these animals!)

#15 of 24 Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 PM

I love that user name! All along, I thought it was the eating kind of fiber. These spotlights are helpful!

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

Have you tried any of the recipes from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle? (I highly recommend the pumpkin soup in a shell and am itching to try both the pan de muerto and the mozzarella.)

If you could add any exotic animal to your flock, what would it be?
#16 of 24 Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM

what a cool spotlight!

how do you feel about the end of this pregnancy?

how did you and dh meet and what got you all into animals?

describe where you live.
#17 of 24 Old 06-26-2008, 11:49 AM

Do you have any special childhood memories that you also want your daughter to have (like baking gingerbread at Christmas, stuff like that)?

#18 of 24 Old 06-26-2008, 12:07 PM

What's the one thing you want to do before your time here is gone?

-Hmm, that's a good one. I guess I'd like to really get all my fiber shipped off for the year for processing into spinnable stuff and clean up all my fiber supplies, destashing as necessary. This way I have a clean slate and don't have to think about it when I have a new little one.

How many children would you and your DH like to have?

-At least two and maybe 3. I think right now we're on the fence and sort of waiting to see how it goes with this one!

Who takes care of the animals if you and your DH are away?

-We have a "farm sitter" who comes once a day and does the farm stuff and the kitties. She's awesome. We end up taking the doggies to a boarding place, they need so much more attention than kitties and everyone else.

What's it like to have llamas and alpacas? (I've always been so interested in these animals!)

-Its pretty cool actually! I adore the llama, he's a real character. He's our "guard llama" and will protect the little goats and sheep against coyotes or stray dog attacks if necessary. He really bonded with the other animals and will definitely stand his guard if he needs to, but is really mellow otherwise. The alpacas are new, we just got them, oh, in April. They're a riot, always together, they remind me of muppets .

#19 of 24 Old 06-26-2008, 12:12 PM

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

-I think I'd have to go with having a farm in Sicily. Grapes, milk sheep, fiber sheep and goats, and growing all manner of amazing fruits and veggies. An old farmhouse and outbuildings, access to an amazing seafood market, awesome food culture, archaeology, and ahhh, sea.

Have you tried any of the recipes from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle? (I highly recommend the pumpkin soup in a shell and am itching to try both the pan de muerto and the mozzarella.)

-I haven't! I'm totally going to try some though now you've recommended them. Well, I guess I have made mozz, but not so much the recipe from that book, as much as from cheesemaking books I have.

-Oooh, I think hmm, a yak. They look so cool! (and yes, you can spin the down fiber that is underneath the hair....).

#20 of 24 Old 06-26-2008, 12:21 PM

how do you feel about the end of this pregnancy?

-I'm feeling mostly excited to meet our little one. I still have fear that something might happen/go wrong/etc. that I'm working through (after 3 losses prior to this pregnancy, I've had to mentally adjust to things going right being the norm rather than the exception). I'm nervous about being a first time mom! But also really, really excited. I'm thinking about the birth more and more. I'm a bit concerned that I have no nesting instinct yet...and cleaning isn't my forte!

how did you and dh meet and what got you all into animals?

-We met when we were both in our last year of college, on a dig (archaeologists) in Israel. We kind of dated, then he met me when I came off a ferry in Italy later that summer and we fell in love for real.

-The animals, hmmm. Well, I think we kind of fell into them! The fiber obsession, then the local/traditional foods thing kind of merged. So we ended up with animals both for food and for fiber. Nothing better than eggs from true free ranging chickens! I guess we both loved animals prior to the livestock though, since we have 5 kitties and 2 doggies. Having a community of people locally that are doing the same, microfarming, fiber farming thing helps too, they encouraged me .

describe where you live.

-I live where the mountains meet the mesas. Rivers and mesas, sandstone and granite. Winter is winter, but not so cold that I'm afraid to go out. Summer is hot, but not so humid I feel like I'm melting. The mountains are beautiful and the little river on our property amazes me in all seasons. I love it here.

#21 of 24 Old 06-26-2008, 12:23 PM

Do you have any special childhood memories that you also want your daughter to have (like baking gingerbread at Christmas, stuff like that)?

-Ooh, good one. I have amazing memories of hiking and camping and being outside all over with my family. I hope to bring our daughter the same appreciation of nature, the earth, the beauty of places.

I learned to cook by doing it with my mom, my aunt, my grandma. I was in the kitchen with them whenever I could, and hope to do this with my kids. Learn by doing, being.

:

#22 of 24 Old 06-26-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
describe where you live.

-I live where the mountains meet the mesas. Rivers and mesas, sandstone and granite. Winter is winter, but not so cold that I'm afraid to go out. Summer is hot, but not so humid I feel like I'm melting. The mountains are beautiful and the little river on our property amazes me in all seasons. I love it here.
Ooooo that sounds BEAUTIFUL! I wanna see some pictures!

#23 of 24 Old 06-27-2008, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

-Oooh, I think hmm, a yak. They look so cool! (and yes, you can spin the down fiber that is underneath the hair....).
Are yaks the one you can get quiviut from? Because if they are you could make a fortune selling some of that yarn!

What are you currently crafting? Anything last minute for the new little girl?

#24 of 24 Old 06-27-2008, 12:09 PM

Are yaks the one you can get quiviut from? Because if they are you could make a fortune selling some of that yarn!

-Quiviut comes from musk oxen, which are an arctic species, I'm sure they wouldn't really like it here, too hot! Yaks produce yak down, which is also pretty nice, but definitely not as pricey as the quiviut.

What are you currently crafting? Anything last minute for the new little girl?

-I'm working on spinning a fine laceweight merino-silk yarn, it seems like its taking me forever, but I should finish the singles and start plying it this weekend. I'm knitting a pair of socks for my husband, oh, about 25% done with the 2nd sock. I need to CO for another project for the little one too! Maybe this weekend.

I think I'd like to start another little cardigan or pullover. Maybe a stuffed animal...too many options!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page