Monistat burning/what if baby comes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HOLY FREAKING MOLY!

So, yes, I read that on the box and sheet that it can cause burning but OMG!! That sucked last night!!

Then it got me thinking... I'm doing a 7 day treatment. Lets just say that the baby decides to make an early appearance, is the Monistat going to burn the baby's face????

I mean, it's still slowly coming out today so even if I'm at the end of the treatment, I assume it will take a little while for it to "clear out" of my yoni, right?

FWIW, I decided to do the treatment because I've been battling a yeast infection (or multiple ones) this whole pregnancy and decided it was best to get it taken care of now before the baby comes and it causes problems. I usually do not take anything for anything . We don't even have tylenol in the house! I've never used monistat before so any help would be appreciated!

TIA!!

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskermommy View Post
HOLY FREAKING MOLY!

So, yes, I read that on the box and sheet that it can cause burning but OMG!! That sucked last night!!

Then it got me thinking... I'm doing a 7 day treatment. Lets just say that the baby decides to make an early appearance, is the Monistat going to burn the baby's face????

I mean, it's still slowly coming out today so even if I'm at the end of the treatment, I assume it will take a little while for it to "clear out" of my yoni, right?

FWIW, I decided to do the treatment because I've been battling a yeast infection (or multiple ones) this whole pregnancy and decided it was best to get it taken care of now before the baby comes and it causes problems. I usually do not take anything for anything . We don't even have tylenol in the house! I've never used monistat before so any help would be appreciated!

TIA!!
Ugh- that is the worst!!! I usually don't have any problem with the 7 day treatments, but have experienced that burning with the 1 and 3 days. :

I don't really know about it burning the baby- I would say that most likely it will not.

Have you been taking probiotics? I used to get YI all the time, but haven't had any since I started taking them. GL!

April, wife to Scott, mother to Lily (07/23/08) and furbaby Bella (6/21/04), and expecting baby #2 in February 2012. 

#3 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 01:06 PM

I don't know if it would cause a chemical burn on the baby's skin per say, I would be concerned about it getting in their eyes though. You might want to ask the pharmacist.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#4 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yes. I was thinking about the baby's eyes too.

I have been taking probiotics which REALLY help, but it seemed nothing I did was kicking this thing in the butt!! If I wasn't so close to my edd and I didn't have a history of early babes I would not have done the monistat.

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#5 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Yes. I was thinking about the baby's eyes too.

I have been taking probiotics which REALLY help, but it seemed nothing I did was kicking this thing in the butt!! If I wasn't so close to my edd and I didn't have a history of early babes I would not have done the monistat.
Hopefully the monistat will take care of this YI and the probiotics will keep it from coming back.

GL!!

April, wife to Scott, mother to Lily (07/23/08) and furbaby Bella (6/21/04), and expecting baby #2 in February 2012. 

#6 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! That's what I've been hoping for!! :

#7 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 02:27 PM

You might also try cutting sugar out of your diet if you haven't already. I battled yeast and then thrush with my first pregnancy and this is what finally did it--in addition to all of the other natural things. The OTC stuff didn't even cut it for me.
#8 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 02:35 PM

YIKES! I've never used it, so I can't tell you, but I agree with a PP that you should call a pharmcist. Or call you MW/doctor (whichever you see! I can't recall! Preggy brain! LOL) I, too, would be worried that it might burn baby's eyes. I really hope it clears for you soon!!!!! (And BEFORE babe gets here!)

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#9 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 03:13 PM

I have found the burning only lasts the first application or two, at most. Hopefully Baby will wait until you are finished.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#10 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am hoping baby will wait. And I'm REALLY hoping this does the trick!

I have really cut down on the sugar and yeasty stuff in my diet... But I must admit that those are my FAVORITE things. I've been doing much better though and hopefully the combination of everything will work.

I did try a 7day treatment of garlic which did help alot... I don't think I did it long enough though. Now I'm doing the monistat , probiotics, watching what I eat, an occassional hibiclens outter wash, and vit c. If baby could just stay put for another 2wks we'll be in good shape! I hope!! :

#11 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

I have found the burning only lasts the first application or two, at most. Hopefully Baby will wait until you are finished.
: it's usually burning cause the area is a little inflamed AND cause it's killing the yeastie beasties. I always tell myself the initial burning is their death throes
Plain yogurt can burn even worse, but it also gets rid of the YI faster. Again, death throes, so I don't mind the burning, ha.
#12 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhugrrl View Post
: it's usually burning cause the area is a little inflamed AND cause it's killing the yeastie beasties. I always tell myself the initial burning is their death throes
Plain yogurt can burn even worse, but it also gets rid of the YI faster. Again, death throes, so I don't mind the burning, ha.
I LOVE this thought!! I am having DH check w/the pharmacist at work about the risks to the baby should I go into labor. I'd do the yogurt but I don't have any tampon applicators to get the stuff up there! Maybe I could use the monistat applicator?

I'm also considering the 3day treatment to get it over w/faster... But I hear there might possibly be more risks w/those than the 7 during pg?

#13 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 PM

I had a bout of several yeast infections around month 5 ish. Or I had one and the 3 day didn't cure it. Anyway, the pharmacist said the 3 or 7 day was fine, but NOT to do the 1 day treatment. I don't have an answer for you on the effects to the babe tho, sorry. I'd honestly say tho, if you've had it for a while, it's best that you did the 7 day b/c the 3 day prolly wouldn't have worked at all for it. I also agree that the 1st 1 or 2 shoud be the only ones that burn, and you could just try putting the yogurt around the opening just for some cool relief...kwim? Good luck mama!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#14 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

I just got off the phone w/the nurse and they said I should be fine if I go into labor while taking the monistat. So, I feel a smidge better... But I don't always believe everything I hear. I'm just going to hope that this lo waits until I'm done w/the treatment. If not, I think I'll just try to manually get as much out as I possibly can before the baby makes it's way down and then wipe their face off immediately.

The pharmacist suggested against the 1 and 3day treatments since the concentration of medicine is so much greater. The dr's office okayed the 7 day, but I didn't ask about the others.

Ugh... here's hoping it all works out ok!

#15 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 06:23 PM

I've always heard use only the 7 day. I don't know how much actually stays in there once you get up out of bed, I can't imagine it would be so much that your body would not flush it out with mucous and amniotic fluid prior to baby being born... Here is to good timing!!

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
#16 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I'd do the yogurt but I don't have any tampon applicators to get the stuff up there! Maybe I could use the monistat applicator?
Yeah, you could totally use the Monistat applicator. Or a turkey baster (I've been desperate before)
#17 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was kinda hoping that if I do go before I'm done that there'd be at least some discharge or something to push it outta the way. DS's sac break until he was crowning... but I guess that still would have protected him.

#18 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 07:05 PM

Not in your DDC, but saw your post on the main page.

Could you be allergic to lanolin? I don't have an irritation to lanolin anywhere else (not even my nipples). But if I use an OC yeast treatment with lanolin in it I feel like I have chemical burns. I only use Gynelotrimin, I think it is the only one without lanolin.

Just a thought...
#19 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhugrrl View Post
Yeah, you could totally use the Monistat applicator. Or a turkey baster (I've been desperate before)
Gives a whole other dimension to holiday traditions, no? lmao

I have to think that it would be better to treat now, the burning is because your tissues are already irritated as a result of the YI. If you put monistat on the inside of your elbow, it won't burn. I imagine that with all the fluid gushing out of you during birth and the baby being covered in vernix and having his/her eyes closed during the trip down anyhow, the liklihood of any getting in their eyes is minimal.

I'd be more worried about babe getting thrush from being delivered while mama has a YI- and that is a total PITA.

I also vote cut back on sugary, starchy stuff, yeasties love that- and take some probiotics. Good luck mama, nothing like being hugely pregnant and uncomfy and then having a ring of fire 'round your yoni as well from a YI.

Hugs and good healing vibes to you!

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi
#20 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaisy View Post
Not in your DDC, but saw your post on the main page.

Could you be allergic to lanolin? I don't have an irritation to lanolin anywhere else (not even my nipples). But if I use an OC yeast treatment with lanolin in it I feel like I have chemical burns. I only use Gynelotrimin, I think it is the only one without lanolin.

Just a thought...
Oooooohhhh... I never even thought of this before. : I didn't know monistat had lanolin in it! Off to read ingredients!

#21 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Shai! I'm hoping I can get it taken care of! DH said the same thing about the baby's eyes being closed, etc. etc. I'm just kind of a worrry wart.

#22 of 24 Old 07-01-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks Shai! I'm hoping I can get it taken care of! DH said the same thing about the baby's eyes being closed, etc. etc. I'm just kind of a worrry wart.

I can totally identify with the worry-wart thing! lol
I am such a worrier, and being preggers definitely does not alleviate that in me- I only get worse.

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi
#23 of 24 Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 PM

I have been treating a YI too. I usually don't get them that bad and have always noticed improvement within a day or two of putting probiotic caps in the vagina, as well as taking them orally. I have never had to use anything unatural, but this one has been aweful. I also decided to go ahead and treat it, because I didn't want to take the risk of thrush.

Mother to two great kids. &
#24 of 24 Old 07-02-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yep. I don't like the idea of taking monistat at all, but I didn't want to deal w/the thrush either.

Last night was my second night... Though both kiddos are sick and were up w/diarrhea about an hour after I put the cream in. So needless to say, it all came out. : I hope it had a little time to work but I doubt it. Hopefully the kids can sleep tonight so that the medicine can stay in and work!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page