Healthy, but Stopping Work post-EDD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2008, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My EDD was yesterday, 7/7. Physically, I feel FINE! I'm certainly capable of working! (I'm at a desk behind a computer.)

Mentally, I'm ready to strangle the next person in my office who says, "What are you doing here?! You should be having a baby!"

I can't take it anymore. Even the NURSE at my midwive's office said that to me LAST WEEK when I was 39W 3D. They're making me feel as if something is WRONG with me... like I'm a freak & a FAILURE that I haven't given birth yet. (Even though I know, intellectually, that this is totally wrong! I'm STILL under the average length of 41W 1D for first-timers.)

My sister suggested stopping work JUST for that reason.

Unfortunately, I've already cleaned every speck of my house! I'm running out of things to do. I'm afraid I'll go stir crazy at home! But I guess I can plan in advance and make a concerted effort to fill my days, so I'm considering it.

Anyone else quit work before delivery just because of the harassment of office mates?
(Oh, and YES, I have told quite a few of them to please lay off... but there are just too many for me to have that conversation with!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 07:12 PM

I'm out of school for the summer and at home taking care of my toddler, but at 41+ weeks we've decided that my husband will start his 2-3 weeks of leave at end end of this work week (so, Thursday for him). We both are sick of not knowing when anything is going to happen, but knowing that he's not going to work on a given day feels like an amazing breath of stability and realized expectation!

It's definitely a mental health thing, because I feel fine. (well, it's too fricken hot, but meh).
Old 07-08-2008, 07:15 PM

Ugh, I'm so sorry.

I think I'd hang a sign up in my cubicle entrance that said, DO NOT TAUNT THE PREGNANT WOMAN! Then, a little "Yes, I'm still pregnant. No, I don't want to talk about it."

I think if you have enough leave time that you want to take off, then so be it. Otherwise, if you feel like working, work! There's no harm in it! If you want to take off, then get the heck out of there!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 PM

I worked until 3 days before my due date with #1. Honestly, I was going crazy because they didn't want to find a replacement for me! I would have been happy to leave sooner, but it ended up working out because he came 3 days after his due date, and 6 days of waiting was plenty!
Just try to tune them out. Easier said than done. Maybe wear some ear plugs!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 AM

I'm 41 weeks today (baby number 3) about 4-5cms, 75% and 0 station - and I'm still working. For me, my hours are flexable and it's more stressful for me to be at home worrying about how things are going at the shop then to just be there.

My MW has asked that I dont stay at work for more then a few hours and if *ANYTHING* that makes me think labor is on its way starts to happen, I go straight home and call her on the way. So, is going to part time an option for you instead of just taking leave now? Talk to your boss, maybe you can compramise. And I totally second Sparks idea for a sign. Good luck!

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

Old 07-09-2008, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
I think I'd hang a sign up in my cubicle entrance that said, DO NOT TAUNT THE PREGNANT WOMAN!
Ha! I thought of this! We have big dry-erase boards in our cubicles, so I could write a big sign there. I also keep headphones on to discourage chat, even if I don't have any music playing.

Unfortunately, I get the most grief when I leave my desk. Let me tell you, I'm tempted not to wash my hands just so I can get out of the bathroom immediately to avoid conversations! Ha! - No, I have NOT followed through on the temptation!

Filling my water bottle at the fountain yesterday I got,
"How are you doing?" So I just said, "Fine, how are you?" (Not acknowledging the fact that 'How is the pregnancy?' was implied."
She says, "Good. Any day now, huh?"

Nooooo..... really... YA THINK?

I've decided to take a vacation day today. I've barely used any of my vacay time this year. Thankfully, I'm able to work from home as well - but I don't know if I'll return on Thursday. I'm having a bit of trouble concentrating anyway & therefore being productive.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:23 AM

My best friend was reluctant to stop working, too...and stayed busy right up until 41 weeks. When another manager realized that she was a week past EDD, they basically insisted she stop working. So on that last day (ended in the morning) she had lunch, bought a magazine, sat down to relax and voila...within 3 hours of "letting go" of work, she went into full blown labor. She is absolutely certain she had to make space in her life for that baby to come!

I thought it was interesting!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Old 07-09-2008, 09:01 AM

That would drive me nuts. I had a friend that said working up until she went into labor was her saving grace from people bugging her. I guess it all depends on your co-workers.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:46 AM

I am physically able to keep working at this point. I am 39 weeks today. I mean it is a chore to get showered, dressed in work clothing, hair done and make-up on every morning but I can do it. Mentally I just don't want to be in the office any more. My work load is slim since I am not taking on any new projects until after my maternity leave so I am a little bored. I just figure every day I come to work now is one more day I can stay home with the baby for maternity leave. I get the questions and comments from some co-workers and others don't say anything but their facial expressions say it all!

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too

User Tag List