How did you "choose" your EDD? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking about this last night. My EDD is July 15 based on my ovulation date - I was temping and using OPKs. It was obvious. Since I ws BFing, my cycle was weird and I O'd on CD 20. My ObGyn I saw at the beginning wanted the 8th as my due date - based on U/S and LMP. Which means I would have gotten a BFP at 2 DPO... I know firsthand what happens when you have a fake early EDD and end up on the clock at 41+weeks...

My son was born close to 41 weeks but I honesetly think his due date was a week early...

Anyway, just wondering how you all chose your EDD? LMP? U/S? Ovulation? Other?

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#2 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 10:15 AM

My edd is also based on a combination of ovulation and conception. It is a bit confusing. Afetr 3 years of TTC, I know for a fact that I O'd on CD18...always have. We only DTD 1 time that whole month, which was 4 days before O (we were kind of avoiding because we were going to start the adoption process in december).

So, anyways, when we got a positive test, I had no idea when I got pregnant because I wasn't really keeping track, so I had an US to date the pregnancy. They gave me an EDD of 7/31 which would mean that I would have conceived 8 days after the last time we DTD and 4 days after O...impossible! So I basically forced my midwives to agree with me on an EDD of 7/27 which would make conception 4 days after DTD and 1 day after O.

Confused yet?

So the U/S techs always go by 7/31 as my EDD, my midwives jump back and forth, and I am using 7/27.....I think 7/27 is better because I am measuring 2 weeks ahead on U/S and 3 cm ahead in the office.
#3 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 10:15 AM

Id go by O if you know it - that seems the most accurte to me. I think a lot of people dont know it though!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#4 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 AM

I know I o'd on October 16th which was cycle day 14. Very convenient because that gives the same edd as LMP which was October 2nd.
I had a nice normal cycle that month.
We dtd on October 14th-- so 2 days before O.
#5 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 AM

I use ovulation and when we DTD to figure my date. Say you DTD on a Wednesday and don't O until Saturday. I would use Saturday for my date of conception. Or if I O'd on Saturday, but DTD on Sunday, I would use Sunday.

My doctor's office always used to try to use the first day of my last period for the date, but my cycles are not 28 days, so that never matched up. They have since (after 5 kids) learned to listen to me. ; )

Although....here I am two days after my due date and still pg......but I guess that's normal, too. Cause I'm sure about date of conception, so I guess babe just isn't ready yet.

Dee
#6 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

I pop in at "another forum" (LOL) and most of those ladies seem to use the US for their EDD and change it often, even this far along which seems so wrong. Of course, they all want to be induced because they think they are "late" or past due.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#7 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post
I pop in at "another forum" (LOL) and most of those ladies seem to use the US for their EDD and change it often, even this far along which seems so wrong. Of course, they all want to be induced because they think they are "late" or past due.

If that's what I did I would have had my baby by now! I know better fortunately!
#8 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 AM

Well when people ask me I tell them July b/c I'm really not that sure... It was my first pp af so it was different and I didn't have previous months to base it upon. Acording to my LMP my EDD was July 11th, but I was sent in for an u/s and it was changed to July 26th, although I was almost out of the first trimester so I'm told that it could be up to 2 weeks off by a good tech. The last u/s I had when I feel and went to the ER had my placenta dating about a week early so yep, I'd say my EDD is somewhere between the 11th and the 26th,
I'm not hung up on it and right now I am UP so I guess it doesn't matter too much at this point!
#9 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 AM

I couldn't go by LMP because I got pregnant following a m/c and D&E. I was charting so I know that I o'ed on 10/23. When my OB did my first u/s the baby was measuring 2 days small, meaning it took 2 days for the fertilized egg to implant. So the OB picked 7/17 as my due date and I using o it came out at 7/15. I have just comprimised and mentally made 7/16 my EDD. If you charted and know the day you o'ed I believe that is the most reliable.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#10 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 10:42 AM

I have a few EDDs. July 2nd is based on LMP, July 1st is based on our u/s at 12 weeks, and July 6th is based on my own charting.

Since the July 2nd one is the one that my first MW (until I switched to a HB MW at 25 weeks) insisted on using and is the one we told all of our friends and family about, we have stuck with it- even though I am pretty sure that it is closer to the 6th.

For me it doesn't really matter because my MW won't push me for an induction. If it was an issue, I would insist that we go by the later date.

April, wife to Scott, mother to Lily (07/23/08) and furbaby Bella (6/21/04), and expecting baby #2 in February 2012. 

#11 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 11:06 AM

This pregnancy was an accident, and I never kept track of when my periods were, so I have no idea! By the time I knew I was pregnant (around 7w) my last period was a distant memory, as was the likely conception candidate. My EDD is a big fat guess.

The baby keeps measuring appropriately for the guess, though. So maybe we've guessed well?

In any case, because of all the uncertainty, I am absolutely unwilling to be induced. It will have to be August and 3w past my EDD before I'll even consider it. :P

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#12 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 11:12 AM

I am in the many EDD boat. I was charting so I know I o'd on cd11 which puts my EDD at July 30th. My u/s gave me the due date July 25th and my doc loves going by my LMP which drives me nuts - August 3rd. At this stage of the game, even A week and a half difference makes a difference. I do not see me going into august for sure.

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#13 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
hyz

I have a few EDDs, too. By LMP, my EDD is 7/29. I think that's pretty accurate, and that's what I've mentally been going by. I wasn't charting when we were TTC, just watching my CM, but I think I O'd on 11/5, which would give me an EDD of 7/28--so that's close enough either way. We DTD several times right before then, so those dates seem right to me. My OB unilaterally rounded up to make my EDD 8/1, and she's been using that, which is fine with me--a couple extra days at the end could make all the difference, especially now that baby is measuring large on US (90th+ percentile) and they're more antsy about letting me go past 41 weeks or so.

I can't imagine people going by US guesses and changing dates, unless they really HAD to. Those things can be so far wrong, you really don't know where you are, and moving that finish line around mid-race just seems emotionally cruel to me.

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#14 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 11:37 AM

This is so funny. He occasionally measures about 1-2 weeks ahead on U/S and at first (like 6 weeks) they tried to tell me he was a week behind. I must kindly explain to them that I was on clomid, okps, checking cm, and cp, and there's no possible way he could be any older OR younger. One person even commented on how exact I had been on his age, and I was like duh, I was on meds to get pregnant...hello.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#15 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 AM

i knew exactly when i ovulated and when we dtd. an early ultrasound agreed with my date perfectly, but a slightly later one (23 weeks) said he was smaller and i was due 3 days later (whatever!) . my first baby i had no idea and he was 5 days 'late' based on early ultrasound. my second i knew exactly when i conceived her and she was born the day after her due date, labor starting on the exact day. my third i knew exactly and he was one full week early! so that doesnt help me at all.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#16 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 12:09 PM

I need assistance with this one, ladies!!

Here's my one and only chart:
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/12be7b

I had one period, we tried once, we got pregnant. My cycle was definitely not regular yet, but I think I see a temp jump. I should also say I tested around day 29 and got a BFN.

My original due date from LMP says I'm due on July 11. Ultrasounds (three) all predict my due date on July 3. Can I get any closer if I make some assumption about which day I ovulated? What do you think my due date would be?
#17 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianamy View Post
I need assistance with this one, ladies!!

Here's my one and only chart:
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/12be7b

I had one period, we tried once, we got pregnant. My cycle was definitely not regular yet, but I think I see a temp jump. I should also say I tested around day 29 and got a BFN.

My original due date from LMP says I'm due on July 11. Ultrasounds (three) all predict my due date on July 3. Can I get any closer if I make some assumption about which day I ovulated? What do you think my due date would be?

I'd say you O'd on CD20, which would make your EDD 7/16...
#18 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 PM

I was charting, so I went by my ovulation date. I also tend to ovulate late, I think this one was on cycle day 20. Since that puts me at 42weeks today, I would say it is a very good thing I did not go by the date of my last menstrual cycle.

We have been very evasive about the "due date" and people keep asking us what date did "they" or "the doctor" give us... are people really so ignorant that they do not realize that you can figure out the "due date" without a doctor?
#19 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 01:04 PM

Mine was determined by u/s. I had been having funky period issues and hadn't had a period since August. DH and I were trying to get pregnant so we were DTD pretty regularly but since I wasn't having a period, I didn't think I was ovulating.

The way I found out of was pregnant was actually because my NP had written me a prescription to get my period started (I had already tried homeopathic methods that didn't work) but she ordered a blood pregnancy test just in case. The test came back positive, we were both surprised!

So yeah, I did use u/s because I had no other way of knowing. I had never charted before and DH were DTD almost every night at that point so I couldn't really even make an educated guess.

So my first u/s I dated at 11 weeks 2 days and then the next one I did at 20 weeks and everything was measuring on track for 20 weeks so my EDD has never been changed.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#20 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 01:26 PM

Well, if you go by my LMP (which I NEVER do because I know my cycles are NOT 28 days) I'm due 7/18. If you go by when I *thought* I O'd, it would be 7/24, but if you go by the 5 u/s I've had, they all measure for my EDD to be 8/3! Now when I say I *thought* I Od, that's because I had the EWCM (I don't check cervical posistion because I have never been able to figure it out) and I wasn't charting due to never getting enough regular sleep, but I thought I knew when it was. But I'm not positive. I knwo with my DS that I "started" to O but then I got a cold and then I didn't O and O'd a week later, so I am wondering if the same thing didn't happen. I know DH and I were under some stress in October, so my body could have began to O but then didn't and "held off" and I just didn't realize it because I thought I had O'd already... Does this make sense? So, I am beginning to think that the u/s were right (seeing as I had 5 of them and they all say the same date...) and that I didn't O when I thought I did. (We WERE trying, so it didn't really make that much of a difference that I would have O'd later - we still got a baby! LOL) And, at any rate, by doctor's office is going by the u/s since I had so many and they all say the same date....

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#21 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 PM

Early u/s at 11w 4d, since I had no period between kids and no idea when I conceived. 40w 5d here and still waiting!

With my daughter I had been charting and knew my O date, and that was how I got my EDD, and I actually went into labor on that day.
#22 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I wasn't charting but I was keeping track of my periods, and when we DTD each month.

My average cycle was 27.5 days but some were 26 and some were 29 and one was 31 (I was supposed to have it for my wedding but it held off until the next day... which really messed me up and I didn't drink thinking I was preggers!) it really was all over the map.

But my last period started Oct 10 giving me a EDD of July 15. The midwives are going off of July 17th and I'm positive I FELT conceival on october 22 which would be cycle day 13?

So yeah sometime next week I've always felt Monday the 14th would be either the day I go into labour or have the baby (based on my feelings of how my last birth would have naturally progressed) But DH has a ball game that day and a couple friends are out of town so I'm really hoping to make it until the 16th

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25********35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#23 of 24 Old 07-10-2008, 12:17 AM

i'm just going with the date from LMP (which puts me at 7/12), but i Oed on cd17, so i guess my edd would be 3 days later (7/15) since the standard LMP-based EDD assumes O occured on cd14. i kinda figure it isn't a big deal either way. the only way i'd consider any medical intervention, induction, etc. would be if there were an actual problem with the babe or i, not just because i went "past date".
#24 of 24 Old 07-10-2008, 12:57 AM

Well the docs used the silly LMP date which isnt right for me since I dont O when those wheels want me to.. so I used the date of conception. My EDD was 3rd of July by my dates or the 29th of June according to the docs..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page