Umbilical Hernias?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have a baby with this? I'm pretty sure our 2 day old daughter has one. I've done some reading and it doesn't sound serious but it doesn't look the greatest. I'm wondering about the healing of the umbilical cord... Will this effect it? I keep thinking, "what did I do wrong??". Ugh. She had a very short cord so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Anyway, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#2 of 9 Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 AM

My 5 year old has one. It was the size of a small plum as a newborn and over the years has gone down and now looks like a outie. Dont worry about it. It will shrink over time, if it doesn't or if your baby wants to later on for cosmetic reasons she can have a procedure that will get rid of it. No biggie. And there is no way you caused this. I always liked my daughters, I thought it was cute. She always looked very cartoonish to me. I also didnt have any issues with healing.
#3 of 9 Old 07-16-2008, 05:57 AM

Nothing you did at all!

I don't have a lot of info on it, but like the other poster said, they go down. Might want to have a Dr. take a look at it.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#4 of 9 Old 07-16-2008, 10:42 AM

My son had one and it really scared me at first. It looked like it hurt which concerned me, but dr said it didn't hurt and would heal on its own most likely. In very few cases it would require surgery to make it look normal again. His went away around a yr old. It's nothing you did, mama. I felt the same way, like I did something. Sometimes, it just happens.

Wife to my wonderful man, mommy to DS 02/2005, DD 12/2006, DS 07/2008, Matthew 10/4/2009, 2 and Due 11/2010!!
#5 of 9 Old 07-16-2008, 11:03 AM

Not in your DDC but wanted to respond. Both my twins had them too. Sometimes they seemed so big that I thought they were going to explode but they went down around 9 mo. It didn't help that all the IL's had to worry me and fuss over them but after awhile I didn't even notice them anymore. No harm in having a doc look at it if it makes you feel more at ease though.
#6 of 9 Old 07-16-2008, 04:56 PM

My daughter had a really large one when she was born. We "cured" it within two weeks.

Our doc suggested that we take a clean cotton ball and place it over the hernia followed by a quarter, then tape it into place. I changed it out when it got dirty or every couple of days.

Within two weeks she had a beautiful "innie". (Hers was caused by her excessive "belly screaming" that she did because of her colic.) After that, we never had another problem.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#7 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

I've heard of the coin thing. I'm feeling better about it today. She's already above her birth weight so that makes me feel good in general. Her belly button has gone down a bit and the cord is almost off so I'm going to look at it closer when that falls off. What does it look like when the cord falls off?

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#8 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskermommy View Post
I've heard of the coin thing. I'm feeling better about it today. She's already above her birth weight so that makes me feel good in general. Her belly button has gone down a bit and the cord is almost off so I'm going to look at it closer when that falls off. What does it look like when the cord falls off?
kind of like a little balloon that will inflate slightly when she strains or cries.
#9 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 04:57 PM

yes, our last dd had one is went away on it's own by around 5 months. It was a little strage to look at and made a funny sound when you pushed it in (which my DS"s thought was hysterical LOL!)

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page