Ok cervix question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2008, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright, I've had a ton of cervix pain and cramps and still haven't lost my mucos plug It seems like everyone else has and I feel like I've had so much going on I should have by now... So does this mean my cervix hasn't thinned out? I guess I'm not understanding effacement all the way. When you check what does an effaced cervix feel like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaddon View Post
Alright, I've had a ton of cervix pain and cramps and still haven't lost my mucos plug
Me too. If I lost it I am not aware of it anyway!

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
Old 07-16-2008, 06:25 PM

I didn't start losing my plug until I was in labor! I made myself nuts checking the toilet, though.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:59 PM

I lost my plug last week. And have the ton of pain and cramps. And still no baby! So, I am not sure it means anything.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well maybe that is what I'm going to do. I am having contractions again and feel so much on my cervix it feels like my water could break at any moment. Maybe the dr. will check me tomorrow so I'll have an idea.

What does an effaced cervix feel like?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:11 PM

Your cervix should be almost an inch long from the opening to the inside of it. I guessed this part because 4cm long is 'typical' and that's about an inch (according to my ruler anyway) and when it starts to thin out it gets shorter. Right now I can feel the opening until it starts to get round (my uterus) and it's about 1/4 of that. I hope this helps some. Oh, and I'm losing bits of plug here and there, but it's small globs of snotty looking stuff that's kind of thick....I actually thought it was from DH at first but quickly realized that his stuff if not quiet that thick ...eeewwwwww...LOL

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 07-16-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenk View Post
Your cervix should be almost an inch long from the opening to the inside of it. I guessed this part because 4cm long is 'typical' and that's about an inch (according to my ruler anyway) and when it starts to thin out it gets shorter. Right now I can feel the opening until it starts to get round (my uterus) and it's about 1/4 of that. I hope this helps some. Oh, and I'm losing bits of plug here and there, but it's small globs of snotty looking stuff that's kind of thick....I actually thought it was from DH at first but quickly realized that his stuff if not quiet that thick ...eeewwwwww...LOL
Ok good to know So are you being induced tommorow? If so good luck!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 PM

So, if I can't feel my cervix, there's no hope of anything happenening yet, is there?

Its soooooo far up there...

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
Old 07-16-2008, 07:31 PM

Dude, I am in total awe of people that can reach their cervixes (cervixi? LOL). 3 days before my baby was born the doctor literally had to shove his hand up there and press down on the top of my uterus to get anywhere close to it. Not a pleasant experience--
Old 07-16-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj View Post
Dude, I am in total awe of people that can reach their cervixes (cervixi? LOL). 3 days before my baby was born the doctor literally had to shove his hand up there and press down on the top of my uterus to get anywhere close to it. Not a pleasant experience--
Me too! I can reach just far enough to touch the edge of it and thats all. If I have dh try to check for me, it's really uncomfortable because of how swollen/engorged the entire area is and I'm not patient enough for his fumbling trying to figure out what he's supposed to be feeling.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaddon View Post
Ok good to know So are you being induced tommorow? If so good luck!

I am being induced tomo evening. YAY!! I'm hoping that it will be short and sweet this time around. It's been cut in half hour wise each time (induced for different reasons each time.....Pre-E 1st and 2nd times, 42 weeks 3rd time, blah, blah, blah....this time it's well, just cause. LOL, not really I just didn't want to go into it again. We can't wait, I'm hoping 6-7 hours at the most. Thanks mama!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiberLover View Post
So, if I can't feel my cervix, there's no hope of anything happenening yet, is there?

Its soooooo far up there...
Not necessairly, you could be thinning and dilating, but still be posterier which isn't terrible, it just means your cervix didn't come forward just yet. It will tho!!! I couldn't feel mine several weeks ago either. Oh sitting on the toilet is easiest BTW...

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 07-16-2008, 10:15 PM

I can't feel mine, no matter how far along I am or how close to birth I am. It doc feels like she has to stick her entire arm up me to just find it! Ouch!

So, just because you can't feel it does not mean you are not near.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:46 PM

I can barely even wipe myself at this point, so I don't know what my cervix is doing but I do know I have been having strong menstraul cramps the last few days and that plug is GLUED shut in there. I don't remember ever seeing it with my son even during birth, at all.... I think it's a old wife's tale... LOL

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 PM

I didn't lose my plug or have any bloody show until I was at 8cm.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:31 PM

I didn't lose my mucus plug with DS1 until I was in full labor. With DD and DS2, it was at the beginning of labor.

I've never been able to reach my cervix!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:36 PM

Whew, so reaching my cervix isn't an issue . I know that non-pregnant, I have a pretty tilted back uterus, so maybe that plays into it?

I just tried to check it again (toilet), not a chance of finding it! But oy, yes, everything else down there is so "full and fleshed out" feeling.

My mws won't check until 40w unless you ask, so I'm not planning on asking til the appt. scheduled 3 days before my EDD, I figure by then, I will be curious.

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
Old 07-17-2008, 02:46 PM

I only lost my plug with my second, and that was after they did a progestoren insert because I was being induced the next morning. Within a couple hours of losing my plug, my water broke and we went to the hospital a couple hours before my induction was scheduled and he was born about six hours later. I was 40 weeks then.

With the others, never lost the plug till well into labor and/or had my water break.

I check when I wipe and nothing happening down there at all, although yesterday I had quite a few intense contractions and lots of deep lower back and cramping sort of pain last night. So I guess I have offiicially entered prodomonal labor land.

User Tag List