Bringing Home Baby (tv show) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone watch this?? I gotta stop, it drives me nuts! Every show that I have watched in the past 2 weeks was a c-section (no one delivers naturally/vaginally anymore??). Also, every b-feeding Mom said "My milk hasn't come in yet, so I'm supplementing with formula." What the ...!!! If babies needed a belly full of milk as soon as they were born, our milk WOULD come in right away.Sheesh..... I really have to stop watching this!!
#2 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nope, I don't watch it. My blood pressure gets enough of a boost from a mainstream due date club I sometimes post in on a popular charting site. Whew!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#3 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 PM

Uh, yeah, do yourself a favor: NO MORE MAINSTREAM TV! It will only drive you nuts.

It really is amazing just what a paradigm shift has to happen for people to say This process has been going on successfully for how many thousands of years!? We really ARE built for this work?
#4 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 05:25 PM

I hear ya! I sit here and just think what in the WORLD is wrong with these people! It really is sad that there are so many c-sections and so much supplementing! Like quarteralien said, if our babies were meant to have that much food in the first days of life, then we we would start having milk SOONER! Oh people bug me!

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#5 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 05:42 PM

Oh my goodness - I totally feel the same way...but can't stop watching these shows. The C-sections, the epidurals, the "we got frustrated with breastfeeding not being easy so we switched to formula" and then find out baby was getting bottles in hospital and family continued to give bottles and pacifiers during first 36 hours home.

There was a natural birth this morning, though, that I was very happy to see (in a hospital with a midwife). There was a good one...last week maybe...with a pageant contestant mom married to a pro football player...and they did a natural birth at home.

As a first-timer, I watch these shows to try to get a sense of what to expect, and find myself wishing there were many more "natural birth" women who were willing to be filmed for TV.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#6 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 06:07 PM

I was watching it the other day and I noticed that same thing. The mom said, well my milk didn't come in so I'm supp. with formula. Then she would say how frustrating it was when she would try to BF for 30 sec and he wouldn't get anything.

My thoughts......if you keep you baby on the breast for 20-30 mins on each side YOUR FREAKING MILK WILL COME IN dumb(y) I couldnt' even imagine giving my baby a bottle when it was 24 hours old because 'my milk wasn't in'.

Sorry mama, try not to watch it.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#7 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 06:58 PM

I hate this show also, but right before I had Grant I saw a episode where the woman had a completely natural birth was BF exclusively and was CD. So there is hope

: mom of Gavin Rhain and Grant, Doula
#8 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 08:18 PM

(Just one more thought that I forgot to put in my post above.)

Sometimes when I click on the "info" button on my remote to see a synopsis of the show (I have digital cable), it will say something like, "A woman is five days past her due date and needs to be induced."

Ok, granted there may be some other reason besides being several days "past her due date"...but somehow I doubt it.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#9 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 08:36 PM

These shows always drive me bonkers! I scream and yell at the TV and keep telling the women to RUN and DON'T LISTEN to that idiot!

But like a pp stated, I can't seem to stay away!

I am glad that I no longer have cable, so I have no way to watch them any more.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#10 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 PM

Bringing home baby, with the never ending pacifiers and a Baby Story drives me bananas. The formula is depressing, and the paci use, it's one of those shows that I can't stand to watch but when it's on, I can't look away.... ugh.... although I did see a home water birth the other day - must have been a baby story... which was cool, although they wore pampers, not cloth which I found bizarre.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#11 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm also drawn to these.. It's terrible but it's good study of saying NO!

There was one on a Baby story the other day where the mom wanted a VBAC but they decided to just do a repeat section cuz the baby was "too big"... out comes the baby at 7lb11oz...

I have to turn them off most of the time

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#12 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 09:21 PM

The only good one I like is "House of Babies". That midwife is amazing!

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#13 of 24 Old 07-17-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaJenn View Post
The only good one I like is "House of Babies". That midwife is amazing!

Me too...I told DH it was the only one that wouldn't send me into labor from the stress....of course my blood pressure IS really low and I need to get it up....I know just the shows to watch...

The other thing that gets me is "our baby has jaundice so we have to formula feed..." WTF!
#14 of 24 Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 AM

my fav baby show quote was the mother saying
"breastfeeding just wasn't me"....lol who was it then?

8 might be enough
#15 of 24 Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 AM

So many of them are stuck on their backs. It drives me so nuts I yell at the telly.
H
#16 of 24 Old 07-17-2008, 08:37 AM

Can't watch it, although I do check the info section to see if (by chance) they ever do a homebirth and how they frame it.

You guys are better than me though - I can't seem to watch anything without ending up shouting my opinions at the tube. And if I see one more drug ad, I'll scream! I've started digitally recording the news so I don't have to be told to "ask my doctor about..." Not to mention all the fear mongering going on over the economy. I have to be really careful about that.

Better left turned off, I think. Which is hard when you're home 'resting' and patiently waiting for a newborn to arrive!!

mom to DD and one on the way, wife since 1997 to a great guy

#17 of 24 Old 07-17-2008, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post
Bringing home baby, with the never ending pacifiers and a Baby Story drives me bananas. The formula is depressing, and the paci use, it's one of those shows that I can't stand to watch but when it's on, I can't look away.... ugh.... although I did see a home water birth the other day - must have been a baby story... which was cool, although they wore pampers, not cloth which I found bizarre.
The show must be sponsored by Pampers. They always do a close up of the pack while the baby is being changed. Yesterday the Dad was wearing gloves while changing a newborn! WTF!! Its YOUR baby!!! Another thing that bugs me is seeing a parent shove a paci in a baby's mouth, when the baby is content! If your baby is just cuddling you and looking around, not making a sound, why does he/she need a paci???
#18 of 24 Old 07-17-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemomma View Post
The show must be sponsored by Pampers. They always do a close up of the pack while the baby is being changed. Yesterday the Dad was wearing gloves while changing a newborn! WTF!! Its YOUR baby!!! Another thing that bugs me is seeing a parent shove a paci in a baby's mouth, when the baby is content! If your baby is just cuddling you and looking around, not making a sound, why does he/she need a paci???
This mama on DS said she was filmed for the show, for her birth and they don't get anything, just a DVD of the final show. But she mentioned they didn't ask her to use pampers or whatever, I mean, I assume like our hospital everyone gets a bag of samples of swaddlers or whatever so maybe that's why they all use them? I'm not sure if I've ever seen one with cloth actually though....

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#19 of 24 Old 07-17-2008, 10:58 AM

On baby story I see them all use pampers, johnsons baby shampoo and clorox ready wipes...there must be sponsoring...it can't be a coincidence that they all are shown using all three products every episode
#20 of 24 Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 AM

Ah yes. Product placement. Since people are recording shows more often and just FFWD through the commercials, the companies are going back to product placement.

If you think back to the way the old shows from the 50s and 60s were done, the host or star would actually hold the product up and talk about it. That was the commercial.

Not quite that way anymore, but close.
#21 of 24 Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM

I'll only watch House of Babies, and even that sometimes gets me fiery.

When it comes down to it, I'm just too easily irritated these day to discuss birthing with anyone who doesn't share my viewpoint. When I'm not pg I'm MUCH more tolerant and can calmly discuss my perspective without being judgy - but these days, I'm just too crabby!
#22 of 24 Old 07-17-2008, 11:17 AM

I stopped watching those shows cus it drove me nuts... I wanted to shout "but there's a better option for you! Come on, are you stupid?!"

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#23 of 24 Old 07-17-2008, 12:52 PM

Lol, I was watching the show yesterday too. She was supplementing w/ formula as she pumped out her colostrum ????? to stimulate milk production. I have no idea where she got such bad info. I blame hospitals... they DO NOT educate enough on the facts and fictions of bfing. It is a shame.

wave.gifMommy to Lacie (4yrs), Brighton (3 yrs), and Maggie (3mos). heartbeat.gif

#24 of 24 Old 07-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Turn off the tube!!! I can't stand to even watch the news anymore...it's all so negative! Reminds me of a trainwreck...you don't want to see, but you can't turn away! Yep, Baby Story, Bringing Home Baby, Super Nanny (that lady is nuts! I once watched an episode where she told the mom that she needed to stop breastfeeding...it was making her dd too needy!!!), and worst of all, the new Baby Swappers (I think that's the name...)...anyhow, the moms and dads hand over their precious babies to teenagers to care for...it's absolutely horrible...boycott that show for sure. Also, BAN THE BAG that they give you in the hospital!!! The hope is that if enough moms/dads ban the bag (which totally promotes formula feeding your baby), more moms will give breastfeeding a try...they won't so easily have samples of formula at their disposal...The bags themselves have Similac or Evenflo written right on them!!! Ugh...mainstream tv and mainstream birthing bug me!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page